Jpg rendering X-T30?

Started Jun 23, 2019 | Discussions
geekoo Regular Member • Posts: 190
Jpg rendering X-T30?

Hi everyone,

I would like your point of vue on something here. I have replaced my x1ooF with the new X-T30 and I don’t really know if it’s me but I have the impression that I have a problem with the JPG rendering of my pictures. When I zoom in at 100% looks really strange. I compared with some of my X100F pictures and I for me there is a real difference. Are the jpg treated differently with the XT30? I have the impression that at 100% the jpgs have a sort of “aquarelish” effect.

I have set my camera on RAW + Fine.

Now it’s perhaps only me. Any idea?

Few pictures to illustrate my problem. (The problem appears even greater at higher iso around 1600)

thanks

F4 / Iso 400 / 1/1000 sec / xT30 - kit lens 2.8/4

F4 / Iso 640 / 1/1000 sec / xT30 - kit lens 2.8/4

F4 / Iso 320 / 1/1000 sec / xT30 - kit lens 2.8/4

geekoo's gear list:geekoo's gear list
Sony a7C Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8
Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bobo Hodls
Bobo Hodls Forum Pro • Posts: 40,166
Re: Jpg rendering X-T30?

Could whatever you're referencing relate to the in-camera sharpening and NR settings?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bobo Hodls's gear list:Bobo Hodls's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,442

Bob Tullis wrote:

Could whatever you're referencing relate to the in-camera sharpening and NR settings?

I was thinking the same - it might be worth trying to reprocess the raw files with default jpeg settings (and standard film simulation) - see what difference that makes.

The images do look a bit soft on my computer.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10
OP geekoo Regular Member • Posts: 190

Thank you for your answers.

I have checked my camera and I think the settings for NR were +2 and the same for sharpening.

I then decided to make a few tests, reducing both of them. And mainly only playing with the sharpening and choosing a 0 value for the noise reduction (on all pictures).

And still I can't really say I am happy with the rendering of the pictures. Also It seems I have a lot of problem with focusing. quite a few pictuers seems to be a little soft and/or out of focus.

There is still really something strange with the jpg rendering.

Here under you can judge:

Some jpgs are direct from the camera. Some of them are RAF exported as jpg with minimal to no editing at all as those pictures are only test picture (so nothing fancy here).

Also I have noticed when opening my RAF in Luminar 3 a strange black line on the right of most of the (raf) pictures???

So far I am really disapointed with my buy. I also dont really like the EVF it is quite small for me (smaller and less practical then my x100f)

Help is really welcomed as I am a little lost here.

THANKS

x-T30 - F/4 - 1/500 - ISO 1000 - from RAF to JPG minimal editing.

x-T30 - F/4 - 1/500 - ISO 1250 - from RAF to jpg minimal editing

RAF to JPG but strange black line on the right side

xt30 - f/4 - ISO - 1000 - 1/500

There is a problem on the shirt ( shoulder ) of the guitarist with no cap.

X-T30 - F/10 - 1/200 - ISO -640 - From RAF to JPG . No editing - Acros+R

SAME but direct JPG - ACROS + R

I find the rendring here strange

X-T30 - F/11 - 1/250 - ISO 200 - From RAF to jpg - NR 0 - Sharpening 0

Same but JPG only

X-T30 - F/7.1 ?? - 1/250 - ISO 200 - JPG from camera - ACROS + R - NR 0 - Sharpening +2

X-T30 - F/11 - 1/250 - ISO - 400 - JPG from camera - ACROS + R - NR 0 - Sharpening +2

My conclusion is that the RAF files exported to jpg are a little better in definition.

But can't say I am over excited with what I see.

DangerouslyCheesey Forum Member • Posts: 63

Looks like these are all with the same 18-55mm lens. Its a well regarded kit lens but some copies do seem to have issues.  Have you used it on other cameras to confirm that you dont have some kid of issue?

Its a brand new camera i bought few weeks ago. I have not used the lens with any other camera. And its my only camera so far. Sold my x100f

Can you tell me what is the issue with some of the kits?

Doug MacMillan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584

Share with us your settings, especially Sharpen, Highlights and Shadows.

I looked at the images at 100% and what stood out to me for the first two was the focus point, especially the first where the drums are in focus but not the performers.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 +10 more

Doug MacMillan wrote:

Share with us your settings, especially Sharpen, Highlights and Shadows.

I looked at the images at 100% and what stood out to me for the first two was the focus point, especially the first where the drums are in focus but not the performers.

I will do later. But usually highlights from 0 to -2 (rare) . I tend to up shadows but max +2. Dont you find the rendering strange? I often use single point also. I made a few tests this afternoon, i need to check them also...

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,680

I would say that the lens at f4 and 55mm was certainly a little soft on the edges. The black line on the right is either a raw conversion problem or the camera was struggling with a jpg conversion. In any case, these are great photos. I would return the lens for another copy and the camera for one that didn't produce black lines.

The black lines are definitely a camera problem - especially if shot in JPEG plus raw. If the raw file was used it might be a conversion problem.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Sony RX100 VII Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +33 more
afwares Regular Member • Posts: 150

If the raw file was used it might be a conversion problem.

I agree with this - I also have Luminar 3, and before I'd blame the camera for whatever that black line is, I'd run the RAW file through Fuji's free SilkyPix RAW converter or some other conversion tool to make sure the problem isn't in Luminar.

afwares's gear list:afwares's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K100D Fujifilm X-T20 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more

afwares wrote:

If the raw file was used it might be a conversion problem.

I agree with this - I also have Luminar 3, and before I'd blame the camera for whatever that black line is, I'd run the RAW file through Fuji's free SilkyPix RAW converter or some other conversion tool to make sure the problem isn't in Luminar.

Thanks for the tip!

I installed SilkyPix and opened a few RAF files. They seems ok. Will need to open the previous one I opened with Luminar. No black lines. And I have to say, I quite like this Silky Pix program. Will play with it a little next week-end.

Steve Bingham wrote:

I would say that the lens at f4 and 55mm was certainly a little soft on the edges. The black line on the right is either a raw conversion problem or the camera was struggling with a jpg conversion. In any case, these are great photos. I would return the lens for another copy and the camera for one that didn't produce black lines.

The black lines are definitely a camera problem - especially if shot in JPEG plus raw. If the raw file was used it might be a conversion problem.

thanks for your advice Steve!

Made a few tries this afternoon and the results are not great. I will try a few things tomorrow and will post my experiences.

I am not happy really to have to return my camera to the shop... And really it's a 1300 โ‚ฌ buy so I would expect a top notch (medium range) camera.

ikaika777
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,629

First of all your jpeg NR setting should be set to -4. Trust me on that. After you’ve done that then you can see if you have a lens problem or a camera problem but always set the NR to -4 which is the closest to off as it allows. 0 means it’s on but it’s not adding or subtracting the NR that’s already being used.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +18 more

So tried a lot of extra tests. And still I am not satisfied.

Also as advised I turned down the NR at -4. 
I was never able to have a sharp picture with different settings. Everything seems unsharped/blurred...

Here are my last tests... Not great ... uh...

ikaika777

geekoo wrote:

So tried a lot of extra tests. And still I am not satisfied.

Also as advised I turned down the NR at -4.
I was never able to have a sharp picture with different settings. Everything seems unsharped/blurred...

Here are my last tests... Not great ... uh...

I donโ€™t know if you mentioned this in another post but have you tried a different lens? There have been a few threads about people having bad copies of the 18-55. Is there a camera store by you that you can rent lenses for a day or even a few hours? I would rent another 18-55 and a prime like a 23 or 35 and compare, at least that way you can find out if you have a bad 18-55 or a bad X-T30.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +18 more
dincz Regular Member • Posts: 439

geekoo wrote:

the jpgs have a sort of “aquarelish” effect.

What is aquarelish?

ikaika777

dincz wrote:

geekoo wrote:

What is aquarelish?

I donโ€™t know but it sounds like it would be good on a hotdog. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

-- hide signature --

ikaika777 wrote:

dincz wrote:

geekoo wrote:

What is aquarelish?

I don’t know but it sounds like it would be good on a hotdog. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Sorry I mean sort of "watery".

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,680

1- I suspect a bad copy of the 18-55

or

2- A poor raw converter? Did you originally shoot raw and then convert for dpreview?

3- Poor technique? I see some signs of camera movement on a few shots.

Suggestion: Try a different lens.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Sony RX100 VII Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +33 more

Steve Bingham wrote:

1- I suspect a bad copy of the 18-55

or

2- A poor raw converter? Did you originally shoot raw and then convert for dpreview?

3- Poor technique? I see some signs of camera movement on a few shots.

Suggestion: Try a different lens.

Hi Steve,

1- perhaps the case

2- I shoot in RAW+ F(jpg).All the last pictures are jpg unedited. In the first few examples I have Raw converted to jpg with Luminar 3. So mainly the example pictures are JPGS (non converted)

3- For the technique, I could have missed a few shots but made about 300-400 tests shots and I think I should be more or less fine Could have at least one or two fine:-). I often shoot 1/500 and rarely under 1/125. So it should not shake too much. Never had the problem with my x100F

here under a few X100F shots

https://www.instagram.com/jeje_human_photo/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads