Lens Hood for the pancake lenses

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
trulandphoto
trulandphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Lens Hood for the pancake lenses

Just a public service reminder for anyone looking for a lens hood option for either the 24mm or 40mm pancake lenses.

Canon's LH-DC20 lens hood was originally designed to be used on the Powershot S*IS series cameras with an adapter. The screw on front part is a 52mm thread and it does not vignette on either of the pancake lenses.

Cheap copies are available if you google it. Here's what it looks like.

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +12 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,230
Re: Lens Hood for the pancake lenses

it is a good deal if it doesn't vignette!

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

trulandphoto
OP trulandphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 877

1Dx4me wrote:

I've tested it with the 24mm on crop sensor bodies and the 40mm on full frame bodies with 100% viewfinders, with live view which is 100% and reviewing images of the sky. No detectable shading whatsoever. Even with one filter between the lens and the shade.

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +12 more
Microprism Regular Member • Posts: 492

Good tip

Microprism's gear list:Microprism's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +18 more
Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,379

trulandphoto wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

I've tested it with the 24mm on crop sensor bodies and the 40mm on full frame bodies with 100% viewfinders, with live view which is 100% and reviewing images of the sky. No detectable shading whatsoever. Even with one filter between the lens and the shade.

I am using a rubber hood on the 40mm that collapses that I had since I had the F1N and FD lenses ... it does the job

-- hide signature --

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer,”—Ansel Adams

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +14 more
mkphoto79 Regular Member • Posts: 426

That looks a lot better than the one Canon recommends.  I have the EFS24 and have put off a lens hood because it was so tiny, didnt seem like it would offer any protection.  This seems to be more worth while.  Thanks for the tip.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

mkphoto79's gear list:mkphoto79's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +4 more
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,659

Good tip.  Thanks.  The actual pancake hood (I liken it to a poker chip with a hole in it) is almost worth getting as a conversation starter.  I have no idea why it would be effective.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot S20 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 80D +7 more
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,530

Dave wrote:

Good tip. Thanks. The actual pancake hood (I liken it to a poker chip with a hole in it) is almost worth getting as a conversation starter. I have no idea why it would be effective.

I don’t see why the “poker chip” hood would have trouble fulfilling the optical function of a hood—that’s a matter of blocking stray light from outside of the frame of view, so a small hood very close to the lens should be just as effective as a large one well away from the lens, as long as the two block the exact same incident angles from the front element’s point of view.

Physical protection is another matter. Personally I made the choice to stick to the poker chip hood since retaining the pancake form factor is more important to me than the small possibility of physical damage, but if I had to prioritize keeping the lens safe over saving space in my camera bag, then of course I’d use the larger third-party hood.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +10 more
DWare
DWare Contributing Member • Posts: 733

Cool!  Thank you.  Appreciate these type of tips.  Off to find and order now.  

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads