Why so many "Update Notifications" here on DPR?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Timzee Senior Member • Posts: 1,064
Why so many "Update Notifications" here on DPR?

If one subscribes to a thread it seems they get a notice for EVERY response to that thread. I've seen other systems where you get a message when a new post is entered along with a note along the lines that there may be other messages posted as well. One has to log in to see.

Personally I prefer that kind of system as one's inbox can get cluttered up pretty quickly with all the notifications in the case of active threads.

Not a huge issue but the single message route just seems to be a better way to deal with notifications to me.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,191
Re: Why so many "Update Notifications" here on DPR?

Timzee wrote:

If one subscribes to a thread it seems they get a notice for EVERY response to that thread.

Only if you don't have your preferences set up the way you want them. Go to your Profile and change your Settings:

OP Timzee Senior Member • Posts: 1,064

Mark B. wrote:

Timzee wrote:

If one subscribes to a thread it seems they get a notice for EVERY response to that thread.

Only if you don't have your preferences set up the way you want them. Go to your Profile and change your Settings:

Yes I did look at those settings but it wasn't clear that any of those would produce just the one notification. Perhaps that's what "Daily" does? Haven't tried that but does that send you a single notice one a day, or notices of all the responses once a day.

In any event, none of the options here do what I think would work best-- one notice that there's been new reponses with the note that there may be others.

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,770

I just log in every day and look at the number of new notifications next to my user name.  That tells me who has replied to which threads.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,752

Chris R-UK wrote:

I just log in every day and look at the number of new notifications next to my user name. That tells me who has replied to which threads.

Same here.

I agree that having notifications enabled is a good way to fill up your "Inbox."

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more

Timzee wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Timzee wrote:

Yes I did look at those settings but it wasn't clear that any of those would produce just the one notification. Perhaps that's what "Daily" does?

The settings are only for e-mail notifications, so yes that's what Daily does - you'll get one e-mail whether there's been one or 20 responses.

Haven't tried that but does that send you a single notice one a day, or notices of all the responses once a day.

In any event, none of the options here do what I think would work best-- one notice that there's been new reponses with the note that there may be others.

As noted in another reply, if all you want to know is whether or not there have been any responses at all you can simply glance at the notification flag next to your name. I prefer this to getting e-mail, so I have turned off e-mail notifications completely.

If you're looking for something else, I suggest you post in the Site Feedback and Help forum.

Mark

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,349

Chris R-UK wrote:

I just log in every day and look at the number of new notifications next to my user name. That tells me who has replied to which threads.

Same here, I skip the email notifications.

Cheers,
Doug

Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487

I am bothered with zero notifications.

OP Timzee Senior Member • Posts: 1,064

Chris R-UK wrote:

Yep, I'll have to give you a thumbs up here as that appears to be the way to go. Given there's not been a huge outpouring of similar sentiments to mine with respect to this forum feature, I'm left to believe that I'm a minority of one in any event. 

Timzee wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

Yep, I'll have to give you a thumbs up here as that appears to be the way to go. Given there's not been a huge outpouring of similar sentiments to mine with respect to this forum feature, I'm left to believe that I'm a minority of one in any event.

I showed you in detail how to turn off e-mail notifications.  I thought that's what you were looking for...?

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,418

Chris R-UK wrote:

If you click on that red number, you get a pop-up with a partial list of notifications. In the lower left corner it says 'show all notifications'. If you click on that, you go a new page called 'My notifications' [which shows all forums and tgreads you've subscribed t]. I've bookmarked  that page and even use it as the place to log in to dpr forums.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS XF 90mm
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,770

robert1955 wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

If you click on that red number, you get a pop-up with a partial list of notifications. In the lower left corner it says 'show all notifications'. If you click on that, you go a new page called 'My notifications' [which shows all forums and tgreads you've subscribed t]. I've bookmarked that page and even use it as the place to log in to dpr forums.

That is the first time that I have used that page.  It certainly shows everything very clearly.  I might bookmark it as well.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads