Sharpness at f/1.4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,831
Sharpness at f/1.4

Here: cut yourselves open!

100% straight out-of-camera JPEG, captured with the amazing XF 23/1.4R.

Marco

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 135mm F2.0
57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,155
Re: Sharpness at f/1.4

After I first got that lens shortly after it hit the shelves, I called it "The Resolver" -  it seemed to give the sensor extra pixels. It really is very good. Might yet get a square lens hood for mine.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
stefanik Regular Member • Posts: 160

Hi Marco,

could you share your jpg settings?

Thanks

mike lix Contributing Member • Posts: 500

marco1974 wrote:

Marco

I really wanted this lens for shooting (mainly) wide dog portraits - the FL, the f/1.4, all great. But sadly this photo just confirms how strong the sharpening has to be set to resolve some detail wide open and for dogs´ fur this is not enough. I have the 16/1.4 instead, which is a bit better wide open, but it is sometimes a bit wider than I want. Still waiting for version II of this lens, with improved ghosting on high contrast edges, sharpness and focusing speed - to such an offer I could not resist!

mike

-- hide signature --

www.instagram.com/michal.placek.fotograf
www.facebook.com/michal.placek.fotograf
500px.com/mikepl500px

mike lix's gear list:mike lix's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
dual12 Contributing Member • Posts: 824

It doesn’t look very sharp to me. The buildings and clouds are way out of focus...hahahaha!

DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 8,592

I see the artifacts you're talking about, but I found that I didn't need to jack up the sharpness to get nice dog photos with good fur detail..

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

I see the artifacts you're talking about, but I found that I didn't need to jack up the sharpness to get nice dog photos.

These are nice photos, but the f/1.4 shots are not doable for me Web/FB/IG is fine, but large prints not so much.

mike

-- hide signature --

500px.com/mikepl500px

Fujifilm X-T2 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
OP marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,831

But sadly this photo just confirms how strong the sharpening has to be set to resolve some detail wide open and for dogs´ fur this is not enough.

Not sure what you're talking about. The sharpening was set to the default "0" in camera. No post-capture sharpening was applied (nor any other post processing whatsoever).

I cannot see any artefacts. That's just what a cheap polyester fabric flag looks like in real life

M.

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 135mm F2.0
OP marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,831

stefanik wrote:

Hi Marco,

could you share your jpg settings?

Thanks

Film Simulation = S ("Astia"), DR Priority = AUTO, WB = Sunny.

All other settings at default = 0.

M.

marco1974 wrote:

But sadly this photo just confirms how strong the sharpening has to be set to resolve some detail wide open and for dogs´ fur this is not enough.

Not sure what you're talking about. The sharpening was set to the default "0" in camera. No post-capture sharpening was applied (nor any other post processing whatsoever).

I cannot see any artefacts. That's just what a cheap polyester fabric flag looks like in real life

M.

There's no problem with the flag, it's just the very fine detail that I need for my shots and I can't see them in 23/1.4 (nor in 35/1.4) pictures shot wide open. I need only small radius sharpening to refine tiny details, larger radius is not OK as it induce artificial look. In-camera sharpening obviously uses larger radius for this lens wide open. For most uses OK, for the very fine details (that I need) not so much.

-- hide signature --

500px.com/mikepl500px

tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,667
For Astro Landscapes ALL XF f1.2 & f/1.4 Lenses Are Poor Wide Open

Glad your liking the XF23 Marco for the subjects you shoot.  It is terrific stopped down.  At f5.6, its stunning.

Wanted to respond w/ a differing opinion re f11.4 for anyone doing astro.  I own the XF16, XF23 & XF56.  Fuji has compromised edge IQ of all 3 to keep lens size down.  (The XF35 may be even worse from looking at Lenstip review.)  The large amount of vignetting in these demonstrates the size problem.  All 3 must be stopped down to f1.8-f2.2 to get sharp edges.

Unfortunately the XF23 also suffers from high astigmatism even in the center @ f1.4 so star fields turn to mush.

Astro is a harsh test of lenses and the demands of general photography are less.  The XF23 @ f1.4 can produce acceptable results for may applications.

marco1974 wrote:

Marco

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads