Camera phones and YOU.

Started 3 months ago | Polls
PJPfeiffer Contributing Member • Posts: 822
Re: Camera phones and YOU.

When I'm scouting for potential sites for an upcoming photo project I often use my smart phone to document locations by snapping an pic rather than writing extensive notes.

PJPfeiffer's gear list:PJPfeiffer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Apple iPhone 5s Snapseed +3 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 13,835

tbcass wrote:

I think almost all of us consider camera phones useful. The bashing is almost always in response to someone claiming their smartphone camera is as good or better than a dedicated camera.

Or that image processing tricks, such as fake background blur and heavy noise reduction should be the norm for dedicated cameras.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
peter826 Regular Member • Posts: 443

I've never owned a cellphone, car phone, mobile phone, smartphone of any kind  

My wife doesn't have one either, though she once had a cell phone.

peter826's gear list:peter826's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony a7R Sony a6000 Sony a7R II +5 more
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 8,254

peter826 wrote:

I've never owned a cellphone, car phone, mobile phone, smartphone of any kind

My wife doesn't have one either, though she once had a cell phone.

For personal use I love my Kyocera rugged phone, so durable and easy to use without readers or when wearing gloves.  In five+ years I never once used the camera on it.

Recently though the company purchased an iPhone that I'm required to carry at all times.  I've enjoyed installing camera apps, using the internet without setting up a laptop, and quick text messages rather than making a personal call every time.  I really love the safety feature that prevents anyone from calling or messaging while I'm driving.

But yeah, I'd still be using the Kyocera if it were up to me.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +2 more
Krav Maga
Krav Maga Senior Member • Posts: 2,878

I use my smartphone camera to snap a quick FB post, take a photo of a serial number of an item I'm wanting to register and then zoom it up because it's too small to read; even with my glasses, that sort of thing. Or quick documentation of something.

I also use it when scouting locations for photo shoots. Take a quick snap, pin the location.

This past weekend I took my son out into the desert to do some target shooting and decided to leave my camera at home, opting to go with just the smartphone camera. Never again.

I took a few snaps with it, but we ran across numerous wild horses and antelope with near perfect light. Trying to use the smartphone for taking photos of them was a lost cause.

-- hide signature --

I feel more like I do now than I did before ...
https://www.danielmedley.com

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,223

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I think almost all of us consider camera phones useful. The bashing is almost always in response to someone claiming their smartphone camera is as good or better than a dedicated camera.

Or that image processing tricks, such as fake background blur and heavy noise reduction should be the norm for dedicated cameras.

That too.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
tbcass

Then this thread is not for you.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,944

73Instamatic wrote:

I responded to the poll. But I have to say, I think these threads are pointless.

People use what they use. And no two people's reasons are the same.

Case in point... my current phone:

Why you might ask?

First - I wear reading glasses with a pretty high magnification. So smartphones are useless to me because I'd never be able to use any App without also having the readers on hand. And I don't carry a pair everywhere I go. I refuse to do that. I don't want to be like a "granny" with a pair hanging around my neck all day.

Second - I don't like what the data plans cost. Plus I have PC's and/or laptops at home, work, and on the road. I spend enough time looking at the screen. I don't lack for internet access in other ways.

Third - I hate texting.

Fourth - According to my phone's history, which saves the last 30 calls I've dialed, that history goes back to Aug 28th, 2018. So I'm guessing that I make about 50 phone calls a year. I probably receive more than that. But excluding tele-marketting calls, I'm sure it's less than 150. Less is better.

Anyway, Smartphones take great photos. Let it be. It is what it is.

The thread obviously has a point to you, as you took the time to write this thoughtful response. For all the smartphone bashing here, I think it's interesting that there's such widespread photographic use among die hard standalone camera geeks. If people with decades of experience with photography and "real" cameras can find photographic uses for cameraphones.....

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,944

tbcass wrote:

This thread is for everybody. However, I'm always amused by the people who take pride in using old phones.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,039

Jonsi wrote:

New day... new cameraphone thread.

I'm a 3, since you care.

But here you are!

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 4,127

vallhall wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

But here you are!

Calm down Nancy.

jnd Regular Member • Posts: 143

I use my phone a lot, it's the best for quick photo or video. It's also handy together with good camera when you don't have wide angle mounted and don't want to change the lenses (or don't have wide lens with you). The quality is quite good for anything from online posting to prints for most used sizes, if people print at all. Not suitable for pixel peeping or digital zoom but how many people actually do that? And nowadays you have three lenses in one, it's even more convenient.

When I'm in difficult lighting situation I can use the built in HDR function and I have nice instant result, it works for moving subjects too. In classic camera I have to dial the exposure correctly or take multiple shots and edit them later which isn't that fun and takes some extra time. Another nice built in function is slow motion, 240fps is becoming standard and you can simple replay frame by frame, choose what section to speed up or slow down, etc. Traditional camera makers don't add much extra functionality, it's becoming the old school do it yourself like in a film days with darkroom. I understand the people who are not interested in the technical side and just want to take some nice shots and take advantage of the platform, camera + general purpose computer in one with many built in advanced photography related functions.

Also good combination for the film shooters. Take some snaps or video, more serious shots on film or divide it otherwise how you like. Black&white vs color. You can combine many things together, shoot 4K/60p footage and develop hand made print at home too, why not?

jnd's gear list:jnd's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon PowerShot G7 X +13 more
vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,039

Jonsi wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

But here you are!

Calm down Nancy.

My name is not Nancy, Borat. And unlike you, i am calm.

I dont go into ppls threads and tell how much i hate them.....like you do!

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 4,127

vallhall wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

But here you are!

Calm down Nancy.

Where did I say I hate it? I simply said there is another cameraphone post today (albeit sarcastically). I've even partaken in the thread so obviously I don't hate it.

Calm down and focus on the topic.. which is not me.

Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,712

vallhall wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

But here you are!

Calm down Nancy.

No, you go into people's threads and do this, which, to me, seems like a distinction without a difference.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df +18 more
tbcass

sportyaccordy wrote:

tbcass wrote:

This thread is for everybody. However, I'm always amused by the people who take pride in using old phones.

Like those who take pride in knowing nothing about computers trying to turn ignorance into a positive.

-- hide signature --

Tom

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 11,835
A phone camera is

A small sensor fixed lens wide angle snapshot camera with good to excellent in-camera jpeg processing (depending on model) access to fairly advanced on board image editing software, and first rate digital connectivity.

It is the modern entry in a long line of fixed lens wide angle snapshot cameras from the Kodak Brownie through the Arguses and the Instamatics and various 35mm film point and shoots. Everybody who has seen an old photo album knows what subjects these cameras are especially good for: the birthday party, the new car, the big snow, the prom couple, the palm tree to prove you were once in Hawaii.  Life and the proof of life.

They aren't sports cameras. They aren't wildlife cameras. (Though they do a great job with the new player in their uniform and the family dog.) They aren't  a professional tool for large prints or editorial, or winning the big prizes. They are fixed lens wide angle snapshot cameras. The ones on good phones are excellent examples of the breed, that's all.

And yes, it has always been the privilege and the duty of artists to make art out of any materials and with any tools available whenever we feel like it. So of course a lot of us are doing creative work with our smartphone cameras, because, hey, it's a camera. And it's sitting right there.

I just got a Pixel 3a, and my vow to never use the portrait mode with the fake depth of field blur lasted about 2 days. I just got too curious. Samples in a reply after  i change devices.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 11,835
Fun with the phone camera

As mentioned above, my promise to myself not to use the fake blur effect on my new phone camera did not last very long. Not claiming either of these images is great art, but they please me in a "pretty good results from a toy camera" kind of way.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
liopleurodon Senior Member • Posts: 1,132

I wasn't sure how to respond since I consider none of my photography to be art, but all of it to be documentation of my life and the loved ones in it; a record of memory if you will.  That said I obviously will use my Pixel 3 for this purpose.  When I don't have my Sony with me.  The best camera is the one you have with you and all.  Went to a themed Harry Potter event and forgot my Sony, the Pixel 3 performed well, especially with Night Sight.  I did wish I had the Sony though.  I like printing canvas or metal of landscapes and environmental portraits (16x20 or 16x24 are my preferred size) and the Pixel 3's IQ is not good enough for that purpose.

Also smartphones SUCK at photographing motion.  My Sony is very good at it.  Indoors I set shutter to 1/200, aperture to f/4, auto-ISO, and AF-C wide focus.  The camera will grab my kid and nail focus virtually 100% of the time no matter how many shots I fire.  The subject will be sharp in good focus with no motion blur.  Phones aren't there yet.

I've become an avid post processor.  I shoot with techniques that often don't leave me with a usable JPG (the HLG + Zebras at 100 trick to maximize raw DR is a favorite of mine).   I'm also a tech nerd so often I'll carefully photograph say a sunset with my Sony with the above mentioned technique; than fire off a shot in full auto and a Night Sight shot on my phone for comparison purposes.

sportyaccordy wrote:

Just wanted to take the temperature of the forum. Obviously offer your opinions and experiences as well as your votes.

Personally, I am somewhere between option 4 and 5. By volume my smartphone is my main camera, mainly for videos of my offspring. But whenever we travel I bring and use my A7R2. The main thing that keeps me using the A7R2 is that I view photos from it on a 4K monitor and sometimes print. Phones just aren't up to that level of IQ and I'm not sure they will be any time soon.

Ironically video is where I make my most conscious effort to use my a7III or AX100 instead of my phone.  With stills Night Sight lets my Pixel 3 compete in IQ, punches far above the weight of its pinprick sensor.  Video is still heavily constrained by the sensor size in phones.  Night Sight merges a dozen frames to get its DR and noise reduction.  Video can't do that.  My 1" AX100 produces much cleaner video in indoor lighting than any phone I've tested, including all 3 Pixel genearation, the iPhone 7, XR, and Xs.  The a7 III is better yet.  I handbrake the videos down to 1080p for iPad viewing and view them as recorded in UHD on my TV and PC.  The Pixel/iPhone video looks fine on the device and passable on an iPad Mini; on the TV or monitor though it looks soft, noisy, splotchy, dark, etc.  I have hardwood floors throughout my home.  Cell phone video will inevitably have no detail in the grain, turn fine detail in my kid's hair to mush, etc.  Additionally I have more control of and better quality audio on the AX100 or a7 III thanks to external mics.

liopleurodon's gear list:liopleurodon's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Google Pixel 3 +3 more
liopleurodon Senior Member • Posts: 1,132

PJPfeiffer wrote:

When I'm scouting for potential sites for an upcoming photo project I often use my smart phone to document locations by snapping an pic rather than writing extensive notes.

Not necessarily for photo projects, but lately when doing home renovation work I'll snap pics with my Pixel 3 and then use the pencil on my iPad mini to mark them up.

liopleurodon's gear list:liopleurodon's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Google Pixel 3 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads