Camera phones and YOU.

Started 2 months ago | Polls
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,630
Camera phones and YOU.

Just wanted to take the temperature of the forum. Obviously offer your opinions and experiences as well as your votes.

Personally, I am somewhere between option 4 and 5. By volume my smartphone is my main camera, mainly for videos of my offspring. But whenever we travel I bring and use my A7R2.  The main thing that keeps me using the A7R2 is that I view photos from it on a 4K monitor and sometimes print. Phones just aren't up to that level of IQ and I'm not sure they will be any time soon.

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
POLL
I don't use a smartphone at all.
11.7% 25  votes
I use a smartphone, but not for anything camera related.
7.5% 16  votes
I use my smartphone camera, but only for documentation purposes (i.e. photos for an auto insurance claim)
29.9% 64  votes
I use my smartphone camera for some creative work, but my standalone camera(s) is my main photo/video device.
43.9% 94  votes
My smartphone camera is my main camera, but I still have a standalone camera for certain uses.
5.6% 12  votes
My smartphone camera is my ONLY camera.
1.4% 3  votes
  Show results
Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 3,768
Re: Camera phones and YOU.

New day... new cameraphone thread.

I'm a 3, since you care.

Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,505

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

Me three.

It's how I remember where I parked at the airport....LOL!

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Coolpix 5000 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon D50 +18 more
Jonsi

Mackiesback wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

Me three.

Lol.  That's smart.

I most often use it to take a picture of a product I'm interested in (for when just a name isn't enough), so I can do more research at home.   And for scanning bar/QR codes.

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 13,684
Smartphone camera use

I frequently use my smartphone camera for everyday photos posted to Facebook or Instagram, or if I want a reminder:

An art event I was interested in attending.

A stray dog wandering in my neighborhood, and posted to the Facebook page of an animal rescue group.

Picture of my kitties being cute, to send to my wife.

Helping my dad shop for a table.

Something for Instagram.

Wedding day for Facebook.

Something for Facebook.

I keep the phone with me most of the time, and I frequently run into stuff for photos, where IQ isn’t important.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +2 more
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,630

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

I think it's an interesting change from the typical smartphone bashing. Though I bet that's coming.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Mika Y.
Mika Y. Senior Member • Posts: 1,137

sportyaccordy wrote:

Just wanted to take the temperature of the forum. Obviously offer your opinions and experiences as well as your votes.

Personally, I am somewhere between option 4 and 5. By volume my smartphone is my main camera, mainly for videos of my offspring. But whenever we travel I bring and use my A7R2. The main thing that keeps me using the A7R2 is that I view photos from it on a 4K monitor and sometimes print. Phones just aren't up to that level of IQ and I'm not sure they will be any time soon.

I suppose I'd be somewhere between 3 and 4. Smartphone photos are in a minority even in my daily life because I do keep my dedicated camera and a few lenses with me also while going to/from work or visiting people. However, it's an occasionally a fun tool for experimenting with things such as creative abuse of GCam's motion photos, or seeing how far the Night Sight can go with somewhat acceptable image quality while taking shots of my cat while taking it on a walk in the fairly bright summer night.

Mika Y.'s gear list:Mika Y.'s gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Jonsi

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

I think it's an interesting change from the typical smartphone bashing. Though I bet that's coming.

You're right.  I commented too quickly.

I apologize.

It's just that there is so much of the bashing, it seemed like it was going to invite more.

Hopefully not.

StarPortraits Regular Member • Posts: 193

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with the document part. Number 3.  I can't say enough how the phone has become a storage house for documenting information posted somewhere and since you have the phone on you all the time you can document a special event like a parade or graduation without carrying the bulk. That said for paying gigs its another story.

nicodimus22
nicodimus22 Senior Member • Posts: 2,991
Disconnected

I have a GoPhone that I rarely use, with a camera on it that I never use, to post photos to social media that I'm not on.

nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon 24mm F1.8G ED +7 more
seuadr Contributing Member • Posts: 601

Jonsi wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

Me three.

Lol. That's smart.

I most often use it to take a picture of a product I'm interested in (for when just a name isn't enough), so I can do more research at home. And for scanning bar/QR codes.

a lot of the airline apps allow you to attach photos too so in addition to the parking spot i also take a close up of the boarding pass just in case.

seuadr's gear list:seuadr's gear list
Sony a6500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +4 more
73Instamatic
73Instamatic Regular Member • Posts: 393

I responded to the poll. But I have to say, I think these threads are pointless.

People use what they use. And no two people's reasons are the same.

Case in point... my current phone:

Why you might ask?

First - I wear reading glasses with a pretty high magnification. So smartphones are useless to me because I'd never be able to use any App without also having the readers on hand. And I don't carry a pair everywhere I go. I refuse to do that. I don't want to be like a "granny" with a pair hanging around my neck all day.

Second - I don't like what the data plans cost. Plus I have PC's and/or laptops at home, work, and on the road. I spend enough time looking at the screen. I don't lack for internet access in other ways.

Third - I hate texting.

Fourth - According to my phone's history, which saves the last 30 calls I've dialed, that history goes back to Aug 28th, 2018. So I'm guessing that I make about 50 phone calls a year. I probably receive more than that. But excluding tele-marketting calls, I'm sure it's less than 150. Less is better.

Anyway, Smartphones take great photos. Let it be. It is what it is.

Jonsi

seuadr wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

Me three.

Lol. That's smart.

I most often use it to take a picture of a product I'm interested in (for when just a name isn't enough), so I can do more research at home. And for scanning bar/QR codes.

a lot of the airline apps allow you to attach photos too so in addition to the parking spot i also take a close up of the boarding pass just in case.

That's good too.

For me, I usually just open the boarding pass that was emailed to me. But pictures work too.

As for parking, pictures are a good idea but Google somehow keeps track of that for me.  There is a simple way on Google maps too, but somehow my phone just knows....

Creepy....but appreciated.

CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,262

Jonsi wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

Me three.

Lol. That's smart.

Me too!

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D5600 Nikon D7500 +13 more
CBVickery Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Disconnected

nicodimus22 wrote:

I have a GoPhone that I rarely use, with a camera on it that I never use, to post photos to social media that I'm not on.

This, except I have a Tracphone.

CBVickery's gear list:CBVickery's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Samsung NX300 Fujifilm X-T100 Samsung NX3000
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,505

Jonsi wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

Me three.

Lol. That's smart.

I should probably add that I use it on occasion for social media stuff or a text to a friend, which I don't consider creative or documenting. Maybe I am a 3.5.

Our main airport terminal has 8 levels of ramp, color coded with 4 different colors, and under each color there are aisles A through Z. They had color coded tags that matched the section where you could write your aisle down in a holder by the elevator. Now they go largely unused. The biz travelers just use the phone, and the *once every 5 years* vacation travelers usually haven't figured out what they are for.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Coolpix 5000 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon D50 +18 more
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 8,004

I've only used my smartphone camera a few times, just to say I did and get some experience.  I would never carry it anyplace for the specific purpose of photography.

For one, I hate the constant wide-angle perspective.  I'd trade for a fixed 50mm if it were possible.

Good enough for a Facebook post though; my second third fourth job is working at this brewery.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +2 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,852

Mackiesback wrote:

I should probably add that I use it on occasion for social media stuff or a text to a friend, which I don't consider creative or documenting. Maybe I am a 3.5.

I'd call that a 3 since I consider social media documentation, for example, look what I'm doing now.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,852

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

I'm a 3, since you care.

I think almost all of us consider camera phones useful. The bashing is almost always in response to someone claiming their smartphone camera is as good or better than a dedicated camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
1winner1
1winner1 New Member • Posts: 7

Surely, I used to my smartphone camera) and love it but of course I want to be an owner Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. It’s my dream!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads