Re: Pentax 26mp APSC in the works

Massao wrote:

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Massao wrote:

miles green wrote:

Finally!

So what's this 26mpx sensor?

Sony, I assume?

Most possibly; probably tweaking the sensor in XT-3 to the conventional pattern instead of X-trans pattern.

Kind regards,

Massao

Pentax is buying a shipping container full of X-T30, a tanker truck full of navy-color paint, and some hardwood for grips.

That's how we know it'll be 26MP

Good one I don’t trust Pentax with a truck full of paint though 😊

Looks like a Lego camera, just what the typical Pentax pensioner wants to buy with retirement money.

The white K-30 was good but it must have been magic mushroom season.

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 1,321

5r82 wrote:

miles green wrote:

50/2.2=23 megapixels

26*2.2 = 57 mpx on FF, quite a lot more than my 36. Good for birding.

Not ready to buy a K1iii yet, still loving my K1ii.

But if the the flagship APS-C shoots video, and i mean 4K, slow motion, focusing during video, using touchscreen, and using IBIS, etc, I just might get one.

It's a BSI sensor i read.

I wonder what they can do with the on-sensor AF features on a dslr.

You're right about the maths! Thanks.

Wrong, it is 1.5^2 = 2.25, if you think a jump from 24 to 26MP is significant then so is this.

58.5 MP FF with crap video and AF... I don't care but this is what the forums will be like in the future.

The on-sensor phase detection autofocus mode for video on the K-70 is useless, again I don't care and I own one πŸ˜‰ It does everything else and more.

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Mistral75
Mistral75 Contributing Member • Posts: 505

The 26MP sensor in question is Sony IMX571, an off-the-shelf sensor:

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/img/products/IMX571BQR_Flyer.pdf

mgm2 Contributing Member • Posts: 504

We are still waiting to hear the source of your information.

mgm2's gear list:mgm2's gear list
Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
Mistral75

mgm2 wrote:

'I received a tip that Ricoh/Pentax is buying 26MP APS-C sensors for a new DSLR camera. Early prototypes already exist, but we are not close to an official announcement yet.'

https://pentaxrumors.com/2019/06/14/ricoh-pentax-rumored-to-be-buying-26mp-aps-c-sensors-for-a-new-dslr-camera/

Doug Larvey Regular Member • Posts: 383

Gorgeous. Can't wait. When it hits the stores I'm bustin out the plastic and I'm gonna drop it like it's hot.

ZilverHaylide Contributing Member • Posts: 509

Oiche wrote:

Massao wrote:

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Massao wrote:

miles green wrote:

Finally!

Sony, I assume?

Most possibly; probably tweaking the sensor in XT-3 to the conventional pattern instead of X-trans pattern.

Kind regards,

Massao

Pentax is buying a shipping container full of X-T30, a tanker truck full of navy-color paint, and some hardwood for grips.

Looks like a Lego camera, just what the typical Pentax pensioner wants to buy with retirement money.

While these crazy colors have no appeal to most Pentax users who are getting on in years, I bet they would sell well to U.S. teenagers. Look at Fuji Instax sales -- and their variety of colors. But most U.S. teenagers couldn't see such a multicolor Pentax because Pentax here has no presence in the "big-box" stores such as Target, Walmart, BestBuy, where crazy-colored cameras would most likely be seen, handled, and bought by them.

The white K-30 was good but it must have been magic mushroom season.

MrB1 Regular Member • Posts: 126

Mistral75 wrote:

mgm2 wrote:

'I received a tip that Ricoh/Pentax is buying 26MP APS-C sensors for a new DSLR camera. Early prototypes already exist, but we are not close to an official announcement yet.'

https://pentaxrumors.com/2019/06/14/ricoh-pentax-rumored-to-be-buying-26mp-aps-c-sensors-for-a-new-dslr-camera/

OK so Pentax is buying some new sensors - that should not be unexpected.

But what is the source of:  "A new APSC with 26mp in 2020 not a K3 replacement that camera is history this will be NEW flagship" in the opening post?  Those bold declarations are what many Pentaxians might like to hear, but they are not stated in the Pentax Rumors link.

Philip

Massao Senior Member • Posts: 1,439

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Oiche wrote:

Massao wrote:

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Massao wrote:

miles green wrote:

Finally!

Sony, I assume?

Kind regards,

Massao

While these crazy colors have no appeal to most Pentax users who are getting on in years, I bet they would sell well to U.S. teenagers. Look at Fuji Instax sales -- and their variety of colors. But most U.S. teenagers couldn't see such a multicolor Pentax because Pentax here has no presence in the "big-box" stores such as Target, Walmart, BestBuy, where crazy-colored cameras would most likely be seen, handled, and bought by them.

That maybe true.

I only like black colour on a DSLR; not sure how to explain but it seems “proper” and “appropriate”. I wouldn’t change my K-30 for any other colour. Just like in the old days when everything was mechanical, I liked silver colour on the cameras. It seemed appropriate with all the metallic sounds of all other knobs and functions of the camera. For MILC, I’m more flexible though 😊 I have NX300 in three colours (black, white and brown), and I like the brown version most. The leathery feel is nice 😊

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A37 Pentax K-30 Sony SLT-A58 A3000 +44 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,163

Massao wrote:

That maybe true.

I only like black colour on a DSLR; not sure how to explain but it seems “proper” and “appropriate”.

Not long ago, black meant cheap and "proper" were only the silver-black cameras.

All my DSLRs are black (I have two old compacts that aren't), but I won't complain about color variations - why should I? They're made because some people want them; and there's no real development effort, nothing to delay future cameras or something.

Oh, and some fashion styles are quite colorful (to the point of making my eyes bleed, so I won't put any examples). Do you think a black camera would be a good match for those people?

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,163

MrB1 wrote:

Mistral75 wrote:

mgm2 wrote:

But what is the source of: "A new APSC with 26mp in 2020 not a K3 replacement that camera is history this will be NEW flagship" in the opening post? Those bold declarations are what many Pentaxians might like to hear, but they are not stated in the Pentax Rumors link.

Philip

Without any inside info, a 26MP sensor is likely - as that's a readily available, not too new (read: expensive) sensor. I don't know if I should trust Pentax Rumors' rumor, without a clue about who the source is (or how trustworthy).

As for the camera itself, Ricoh Imaging said they're working on one.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
OP Plakanina Senior Member • Posts: 1,019

mgm2 wrote:

thenewcamera.com

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR

MrB1 wrote:

Mistral75 wrote:

mgm2 wrote:

But what is the source of: "A new APSC with 26mp in 2020 not a K3 replacement that camera is history this will be NEW flagship" in the opening post? Those bold declarations are what many Pentaxians might like to hear, but they are not stated in the Pentax Rumors link.

Philip

The opening post is MY statement and opinion not a quote after reading the newcamera.com rumor.

Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,917

Plakanina wrote:

mgm2 wrote:

thenewcamera.com

And more specifically at http://thenewcamera.com/pentax-k-3-iii-successor-with-26mp-sensor-rumor/

Interesting thread, Plakanina.  Thanks.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +112 more
MrB1 Regular Member • Posts: 126

Historicity wrote:

Plakanina wrote:

mgm2 wrote:

thenewcamera.com

And more specifically at http://thenewcamera.com/pentax-k-3-iii-successor-with-26mp-sensor-rumor/

Interesting thread, Plakanina. Thanks.

Lawrence

Wouldn't it have been helpful if the OP had included that link in the first post, or at least after first being asked for the source?

So folks, it is still all rumour, so it seems that we should continue to be patient and Pentax will probably produce another very capable APS-C DSLR..........sometime!Β 

Philip

Mistral75

MrB1 wrote:

(...) Pentax will probably produce another very capable APS-C DSLR..........sometime!

...or later.

Mistral75 wrote:

MrB1 wrote:

(...) Pentax will probably produce another very capable APS-C DSLR..........sometime!

...or later.

"keep the faith, baby"

xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,294

K70 successor is also over due-date and this might be right sensor to keep in line with competitors. I can imagine them introducing such camera during fall. Just K70 with new IMX571CQ sensor and minor tweaks to keep attractive horse in the low-end market.

K3 replacement should use something like IMX510

-- hide signature --
 xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1s Pentax K20D +29 more
bob5050 Contributing Member • Posts: 973

DougOB wrote:

5r82 wrote:

They better come with K-1 III with 50 Mpx in 2020. In crop mode this camera would give 33 Mpx and that is already more than 26 Mpx. So, Pentaxian having both full frame and APS-C lenses would be happy...

Except that I do want a camera that big and heavy...

But 5r82 still has a point. No one with a reasonable number of DA lenses and on the fence about 'moving up' is going to buy a FF camera that then gives them less resolution than they already have. A crop mode of > 24-26mpx might encourage more current APS-C owners to upsize.

Me, I'm still holding out for the K3.next.

bob5050

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +4 more
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,109

bob5050 wrote:

DougOB wrote:

5r82 wrote:

They better come with K-1 III with 50 Mpx in 2020. In crop mode this camera would give 33 Mpx and that is already more than 26 Mpx. So, Pentaxian having both full frame and APS-C lenses would be happy...

Except that I do want a camera that big and heavy...

But 5r82 still has a point. No one with a reasonable number of DA lenses and on the fence about 'moving up' is going to buy a FF camera that then gives them less resolution than they already have. A crop mode of > 24-26mpx might encourage more current APS-C owners to upsize.

Me, I'm still holding out for the K3.next.

I would say "might" is the operative word here.  Have we every done a survey on why APS users have not moved to FF?  cost?  size?  Or conversely what would make them move.

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads