How to stop battery draining when camera accidentally left on!

Started 2 months ago | Questions
davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,634
How to stop battery draining when camera accidentally left on!

Firstly I realise this is my mistake and I've done it twice now, accidentally left my A7Riii switched on when I've put it back in the camera bag.

Presumably because there's something in the proximity of the viewfinder (the camera bag base) it doesn't auto switch off like a camera with an optical viewfinder would, so drains away (and probably gets pretty hot too) until I go to it the next day and zero power!

Is there a setting I can change to prevent this happening please? I'm starting to get paranoid about it!

-- hide signature --

David

davidevans1's gear list:davidevans1's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Hank Radt Senior Member • Posts: 1,188
Re: How to stop battery draining when camera accidentally left on!

You need to ensure the camera has gone to sleep before you store it - anything that passes in front of the EVF sensor will prevent that - finger, stray strap, next to your body or, in your case, storing it in your bag.

When just walking around, I set Power Save Start Time to 10 sec and then ensure the LCD goes black before I sling it back over my body - you can, of course, set it to longer, but then you have to wait longer to. My compromise is to only change the sleep time to say a minute or 5 if I'm composing.

Hank Radt's gear list:Hank Radt's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony 1.4x Teleconverter +8 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,476

I think that the only option you have is to set the camera to use the LCD manually (to disable the EVF eye sensor), and ensure that IR remote is disabled.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +16 more
JohnnyJag Forum Member • Posts: 86

I have an A73 but the operations should be similar/same for your camera. In the toolbox menu, page 2 there is a power save start time setting. If you set this, the camera will enter standby mode when the set time is reached. It can be restarted by touching the shutter button or menu button only.

I also have airplane mode switched on to further reduce power consumption (I don't need NFC, Wi-Fi or Blue tooth connectivity)

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,476

JohnnyJag wrote:

I have an A73 but the operations should be similar/same for your camera. In the toolbox menu, page 2 there is a power save start time setting. If you set this, the camera will enter standby mode when the set time is reached. It can be restarted by touching the shutter button or menu button only.

I also have airplane mode switched on to further reduce power consumption (I don't need NFC, Wi-Fi or Blue tooth connectivity)

Right, but he's saying that he's putting it in a bag where the EVF eye sensor will be triggered. That will keep the camera from going to sleep.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +16 more
OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,634

Thanks for the responses. I changed it to Power Save 10 seconds then watched and nothing happened! Then I found this link and realised that it's because I have IR set to ON. I have an IR remote for landscapes using a tripod, though prefer to use the self timer most of the time. SQLGuy said turn the IR off - thank you.

So with IR Off I'll leave the camera turned on for and put it in the bag for an hour and see what happens to the battery. It's on 97% charged now and hopefully still 97% in an hors time!

Thanks again.

David

Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM
OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,634

davidevans1 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I changed it to Power Save 10 seconds then watched and nothing happened! Then I found this link and realised that it's because I have IR set to ON. I have an IR remote for landscapes using a tripod, though prefer to use the self timer most of the time. SQLGuy said turn the IR off - thank you.

So with IR Off I'll leave the camera turned on for and put it in the bag for an hour and see what happens to the battery. It's on 97% charged now and hopefully still 97% in an hors time!

Thanks again.

David

After an hour the battery showed 96% so I am pretty sure it was the IR On that was my main battery drainage problem.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

David

RGBCMYK
RGBCMYK Senior Member • Posts: 2,031

Starting with the NEX-7 in the beginning I can't tell you how many times I reached into my camera bag to find the camera warm and the battery dead.  I have trained myself to always turn the camera off when not shooting and it has solved the problem.  After testing the turn on speed from off and waking the camera from deep sleep the minimal time difference is offset that I never have a drained battery.  Shooting mirrorless took a different approach to the problem.  I have put over 100k +  on 6 different Sony mirrorless bodies and the on and off switch has not died on any of them so it works

-- hide signature --

My street photography with over 1000 images https://www.instagram.com/chris_broughton/
www.christopherbroughton.com

RGBCMYK's gear list:RGBCMYK's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 +1 more
LenRivers Contributing Member • Posts: 987

Take the battery out perhaps

I never store my cameras with the battery inside if the camera will not be used for more than 2 consecutive days.  Same for flashes and microphones etc.

eruditass Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

Apparently Canon and Nikon's mirrorless don't have this problem?

Not that Ken Rockwell is all that reliable, but:

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/nikon-vs-canon-vs-sony-full-frame.htm#power

A design flaw prevents Sonys from going to sleep when worn around your neck. They detect your body next to the finder and mistakenly confuse that with your eye and active usage, so they don't go to sleep unless you set them down on a table or tripod.

Wonder how they accomplish that, placing the proximity sensor in a different location? Correlation with accelerometer readings?

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads