Started 4 months ago | Discussions
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 4,167
Swallows with EM1X and 300 Pro

And a Noisy Miner

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,832
Re: Swallows with EM1X and 300 Pro

Superb!

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
RobPNth Contributing Member • Posts: 543

A cracker series. Were you cropping much?

-- hide signature --
mikero Senior Member • Posts: 1,002

Excellent series.  Not had too much success against backgrounds myself yet.

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
glassoholic
OP glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 4,167

RobPNth wrote:

A cracker series. Were you cropping much?

Here is an unprocessed JPG straight out of camera of the first pic... pretty much how the rest were framed... Some were a little further away.

-- hide signature --

Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

dav
dav Regular Member • Posts: 364

glassoholic wrote:

Love it.....if lorikeets are the spitfires of the bird world swallows must be lightings and cockies the Lancaster’s maybe

looks like you have your X working ok

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Dave

Fsi Regular Member • Posts: 423

glassoholic wrote:

And a Noisy Miner

Awesome stuff. Swallows are as extreme,an autofocus test as it gets. Takes alot of skill on top of great caf on a camera.

Fsi's gear list:Fsi's gear list
Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +3 more
glassoholic

dav wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

Love it.....if lorikeets are the spitfires of the bird world swallows must be lightings and cockies the Lancaster’s maybe

looks like you have your X working ok

Lol... Cocky says "Pizzorff... I'm busy eating".

-- hide signature --

JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 5,590

Simply bloody superb, mate.

Love the Noisy Miner (last one, for non-natives ... ).

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +28 more
glassoholic

JaKing wrote:

Simply bloody superb, mate.

Love the Noisy Miner (last one, for non-natives ... ).

Thanks mate... it is my second BIF shoot with the 300 Pro. I used a PL 100-400 a lot, and it is very good, but just got frustrated with high ISO all the time. The Pro is a bit sharper as well in the centre and a lot sharper towards the edges and corners. I can do a big crop from an extreme corner and still get the best possible result. If you nail focus with the Pro, it also pops, even with shadow detail as well.

-- hide signature --

Tony Rogers Senior Member • Posts: 1,477

Very nice! Not easy with the birds against that background.

I presume that you had your focus limiter set? I would also be interested in all the other settings that you used! Focus points? Centre priority? etc.

Tony Rogers's gear list:Tony Rogers's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
JulesGo
JulesGo Regular Member • Posts: 409

Nice work.  Swallows are difficult.  Were you using the 1.4X TC ?

-- hide signature --

Jules Gobeil
Nature photographer - Photographe de la nature
https://www.flickr.com/photos/julesgobeil/

JulesGo's gear list:JulesGo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +2 more
Toni Genes
Toni Genes Regular Member • Posts: 127

Nice pics.

Which settings you used ?

AF Scanner ?

AF Area pointer ?

C-AF sensitivity  ?

Toni Genes's gear list:Toni Genes's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
glassoholic

Tony Rogers wrote:

I presume that you had your focus limiter set? I would also be interested in all the other settings that you used! Focus points? Centre priority? etc.

F5, 1/2500, auto ISO, CAF +1, E shutter 18fps L, 9x7 custom AF points, no centre priority or centre start, Sync IS On and FPS Priority, shutter release priority on and AF Limiter 4-120m. EE1 Dot Sight... most important of all.

I am still on the fence with the +1 CAF setting... I used to use +2 and think for swallows rapid  changes in direction, probably +2 will be better.

-- hide signature --

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,287

glassoholic wrote:

Tony Rogers wrote:

F5, 1/2500, auto ISO, CAF +1, E shutter 18fps L, 9x7 custom AF points, no centre priority or centre start, Sync IS On and FPS Priority, shutter release priority on and AF Limiter 4-120m. EE1 Dot Sight... most important of all.

I am still on the fence with the +1 CAF setting... I used to use +2 and think for swallows rapid changes in direction, probably +2 will be better.

I would have thought that the E shutter wasn't fast enough for swallows.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
glassoholic

JulesGo wrote:

Nice work. Swallows are difficult. Were you using the 1.4X TC ?

No... I find for closer BIF, the 1.4 is too powerful for framing... even using the EE1 dot sight... but great for further away BIF.

-- hide signature --

glassoholic

SHood wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

Tony Rogers wrote:

I am still on the fence with the +1 CAF setting... I used to use +2 and think for swallows rapid changes in direction, probably +2 will be better.

E shutter is always the "same" speed as mechanical... but you can get distortion... leaning over trees in the background, or a warped tennis racquet mid return etc. I have shot tens of thousands of BIF and other action, and never regretted e-shutter.

-- hide signature --

glassoholic

Toni Genes wrote:

Nice pics.

Which settings you used ?

AF Scanner ?

AF Area pointer ?

C-AF sensitivity ?

See my reply to Tony Rogers...

AF Scanner was on 2. I used to use 3... I might try that again as well.

-- hide signature --

mikero Senior Member • Posts: 1,002

glassoholic wrote:

SHood wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

Tony Rogers wrote:

E shutter is always the "same" speed as mechanical... but you can get distortion... leaning over trees in the background, or a warped tennis racquet mid return etc. I have shot tens of thousands of BIF and other action, and never regretted e-shutter.

'Glass' is right. If you're following the Swallow, then it's not moving much in the frame. But the background, particularly buildings, can be distorted if you're panning quickly. But OOF background buildings are a 'delete' for me anyway.

So personally I've never (yet) had an issue with e-shutter.

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,132

Great shots, well done.  I keep trying to find a location where the swallows are not always above me with a sky background.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads