Some content in RAW images lost when editing

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
gf1701 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Some content in RAW images lost when editing

I don't think this is camera or software-specific, but perhaps someone here can answer my question. I just noticed that a photo I shot in RAW is being cropped by the editor (Photoshop Elements). In this instance, I took the photo in Yosemite National Park, and Half Dome was in the top left corner of the picture. Here's what that segment of the photo looks like when the RAW file is rendered in a viewer:

Screen snapshot of RAW file from photo viewer

It' s meant to be at the edge of the photo. But when I open the photo in Photoshop Elements (or look at a JPG rendering), I get this:

I suspect that this has been happening all along, but I never noticed it before because I wasn't interested in anything at the edges. Can someone explain why this happens? Is there a way to edit (and maybe this question is software-specific) the original content of the RAW file?

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,345
Re: Some content in RAW images lost when editing

To provide you with help that's apllicable to yoou camera need post the camera you're using; especially if images do not have the the EXIF Data.

Basically majority the Panasonic WA to Tele zoom lenses do not fully cover the sensor corners and the camera's in-camera JPEG procesing crops the image to not show the vinetting at corners of the images.

PSE uses the embedded JPG camera lens profile to correct lens vignetting and distortions to convert a RAW image to JPG image. PSE not the only app the uses the embedded camera JPEG lens profile to save from having to create their own lens profiles for all various camera/ lens combos. Good or bad, the converted RAW images will match the OOC JPG images.

If you shoot with the JPG+RAW you will see the PSE converted RAW image will match the camera's OOC JPG images.

There was a previous post with similar subject:
"Lumix Fz 1000 possible RAW problem or bad settings?!" HERE

For example see as to some images from previous post of mine: ...

Basically the majority of fixed-lens compacts with a 24mm equiv. to tele zoom lens, the lens image circle does not fully cover the sensor's edges/ corners at the WA. Hence the camera's JPG processing crops, corrects barrel distortion, and stretches the image to fill-in corners.

If you shoot 24mm equiv. as JPG+RAW you can view the unedited RAW image with an app like FastStone Image View to see actual image captured vs the corrected JPG image; e.g., JPG+RAW image downloaded from PhotographyBlog.com TZ70 Review:

PhotographyBlog JPG. Compare this JPG with RAW image below to see amount of cropping at edges to the JPG image.

RAW image viewed with FastStone Image Viewer and saved as JPG to post here.

Imaging Resource FZ1000 Review Sample image (FZ1000FAR2WTW)

IR FZ1000FAR2WTW.JPG - OOC JPG

Image below shows how much the FZ1000's JPG is crops the and upscales the back to the native 5472 x 3648 20MP resolution.

IR FZ1000FAR2WTW.RW2 RAW image opened in FastStone Image View and save as JPG w/o any edits.

Below DxO PhotoLab provides a wider field of view not possible from OOC JPG; no perspective corrections to image.

IR FZ1000FAR2WTW.RW2 RAW image processed with DxO PhotoLab, without perspective corrections

Below DxO PhotoLab coverted RAW image, and DxO ViewPoint perspective corrections.

IR FZ1000FAR2WTW.RW2 RAW image processed with DxO PhotoLab & ViewPoint perspective corrections

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +18 more
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,300

gf1701 wrote:

I don't think this is camera or software-specific, but perhaps someone here can answer my question. I just noticed that a photo I shot in RAW is being cropped by the editor (Photoshop Elements). In this instance, I took the photo in Yosemite National Park, and Half Dome was in the top left corner of the picture. Here's what that segment of the photo looks like when the RAW file is rendered in a viewer:

It' s meant to be at the edge of the photo. But when I open the photo in Photoshop Elements (or look at a JPG rendering), I get this:

I suspect that this has been happening all along, but I never noticed it before because I wasn't interested in anything at the edges. Can someone explain why this happens? Is there a way to edit (and maybe this question is software-specific) the original content of the RAW file?

The camera is killing two birds with one stone.  At the wide angle, it has serious optically uncorrected barrel distortion, pulling the corner images inwards where they actually are inside of the imaging circle.  Correcting this allows the camera to provide a wider angle than the optics can well support but since it has to provide rectangular output, some cropping after geometric correction is still necessary.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,345

Dak on cam wrote:

gf1701 wrote:

The camera is killing two birds with one stone. ...

What camera? OP does not say and image has no EXIF Data.

...At the wide angle, it has serious optically uncorrected barrel distortion, pulling the corner images inwards where they actually are inside of the imaging circle. Correcting this allows the camera to provide a wider angle than the optics can well support but since it has to provide rectangular output, some cropping after geometric correction is still necessary. ...

How can you determine what camera/ lens doing if you do not know the camera/ lens being used?

For FZ1000 and other Pany WA - long tele zooms your logic is incorrect, and could easily see it does NOT "provide a wider angle than the optics" by looking at the images in my post; i.e., the OCC JPG vs. the unedited RAW image.

The FZ1000 JPG 'crop' image FOV width is LESS than the lens':

Approx in-camera crop to RAW image.

When the 'smaller' FOV crop JPG resized back up to 20 MP, there is a noticeable amount of stretching to items at edges of the image as I posted awhile back HERE:

Besides cropping there's fair amount of "stretching" to the image to "fill-in" the corners; e.g.:

The LEFT image is the SOOC JPG image; the RIGHT image is the SOOC RAW image.

Don't bother with one of your lengthy wordy replies without images to backup your post as I have.

I'll make it easy for you providing a 'neutral' sample JPG/ RAW image.

Download the Imaging Resource FZ1000 Review Sample FZ1000FAR2WTW.JPG/ FZ1000FAR2WTW.RW2 JPG/ RAW images HERE.

With using what you replied to the OP, process the RAW image to match my PP RAW image ...

IR FZ1000FAR2WTW.RW2 RAW image processed with perspective corrections

,,, NOT as a contest, but only to 'substantiate' what you posted; i.e., "WALK THE TALK".

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads