Photos won't upload

Started 2 months ago | Questions
leslandon New Member • Posts: 2
Photos won't upload

I have photos in a file on my DSC-HX400V, but when I connect the camera to my computer a message says the folder is empty. How can I get the photos from my camera to the computer?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,675
Re: Photos won't upload

Are there subfolders?  Most cameras place the photos in a "DCIM" subfolder.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,311

Would you be able to connect the card directly to your computer?

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 +1 more
OP leslandon New Member • Posts: 2

I can view the photos on the camera screen, and when I attach the camera to my computer via USB cable, the file folder appears in the file list. But when I click to open the file, it just says this file is empty.

Do I have a bad disc in the camera?

Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,729

leslandon wrote:

I can view the photos on the camera screen, and when I attach the camera to my computer via USB cable, the file folder appears in the file list. But when I click to open the file, it just says this file is empty.

Which folder is empty?

No, it's probably fine.

Do you have an SD card reader on your computer?

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,249

leslandon wrote:

Is it Windows or Mac? How are you looking at the camera? The images always are there in some sub-folder down in the DCIM folder area. Maybe you need to dig deeper into the folder structure.

With Windows I always use FastStone Viewer for inspecting folders and for downloads via USB or via the SD card plugged into a card reader slot.

No disc, only the inserted SD card holds the images.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,789

Upload manually (drag and drop).

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
tbcass

Guy Parsons wrote:

Regards...... Guy

Old habits die hard. People still refer to recording video as taping.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more

tbcass wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Regards...... Guy

The 'disk' term continues to be used for solid state drives in computers. For example, I have two solid state drives in my workstation, as well as two hard disk drives. Windows calls them all 'Disks'.

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
tbcass

Digital Nigel wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Regards...... Guy

The 'disk' term continues to be used for solid state drives in computers. For example, I have two solid state drives in my workstation, as well as two hard disk drives. Windows calls them all 'Disks'.

Even with traditional hard drives the term "disk" as been, for the most part, dropped with them being referred to as simply hard drives.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Regards...... Guy

Even with traditional hard drives the term "disk" as been, for the most part, dropped with them being referred to as simply hard drives.

Windows Task Manager calls even solid state drives like my Intel Optane SSD 900P 'Disks'

tbcass

I know that. I was referring to conversation between people and written articles referring to hard drives. Microsoft has always been very conservative when it comes to what they name various pieces of hardware in Windows. It's just a throwback to terminology used in the old days to distinguish floppy disks from hard disks.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,486
If you don't have a card reader

Buy a cheap $5 usb card reader on Amazon

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,249

Omigosh, you guys go on with trivia. Fancy creating a sub-string just to argue about a silly thing like that. Do I need to add smiley faces to everything I say to attempt to ward off pointless discussions?

Yes, the user sees the content of the attached USB device, be it a camera or hard drive or SSD or flash memory USB as a "Disk"because of the needed formatting of the device, be it NTFS, eFAT FAT16, FAT32, etc etc. to make it easily and familiarly accessible.

In the case of the camera I simply reminded the OP that there is no internal storage in the form of a disk, just the inserted SD/SDHC/SDXC card in the camera that contains the file data.

In this case it appears that the OP does not quite understand the file structure to be found on the camera card and needs to drill down into the folder structure more to find the images. Drill a heck of a lot deeper to find any video clips of course.

Rant completed now, and I did add the appropriate smiley face.

Not the same camera but still Sony and the folder structure looks a lot like this.....

The images will reside within the "100MSDCF" folder in my case, after the 9999thimage it will be the "101MSDCF"folder. All cameras seem to stick to having images somewhere in sub-folders within the basic "DCIM" folder.

The video clips for Sony live down in the "PRIVATE" area and 4K clips will be in the M4ROOT/CLIP folder. I've not used AVCHD but I guess that sort of clip would be in the "STREAM" folder.

It is simply a matter of drilling down through folders and sub-folders until something viewable is seen.

That screen clip above is how FastStone Viewer sees things, it is the same as Windows Explorer, just a different background.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
DJS 531
DJS 531 Regular Member • Posts: 298

leslandon wrote:

I have photos in a file on my DSC-HX400V, but when I connect the camera to my computer a message says the folder is empty. How can I get the photos from my camera to the computer?

I use the memory card to get photos from my camera to my computer. If your computer has an SD card slot, you can take the SD card out of the camera and insert it into the SD card slot in your computer. If it doesn't have an SD card slot, you can purchase a memory card reader from Amazon or elsewhere.Memory card readers are inexpensive.

DJS 531's gear list:DJS 531's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads