The KP J's "hat"

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
The KP J's "hat"

I submit that, just like the K-30's "baseball cap", it protects the lens mount from rain. It was described this way on one of the blogs I like to read:

https://breakfastographer.wordpress.com/2019/06/12/pentax-kp-j-limited-editions-to-be-announced-tonight/

The K-30's adverts were pretty overt about this, either showing it with water droplets like it had been to the gym, or right in the rain or similar wet situation:

-- hide signature --

Loving aperture rings, focus throw and distance scales.

Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 1,210
Re: The KP J's "hat"

Leandros S wrote:

I submit that, just like the K-30's "baseball cap", it protects the lens mount from rain. It was described this way on one of the blogs I like to read:

https://breakfastographer.wordpress.com/2019/06/12/pentax-kp-j-limited-editions-to-be-announced-tonight/

The K-30's adverts were pretty overt about this, either showing it with water droplets like it had been to the gym, or right in the rain or similar wet situation:

I just recently joked about the Pentax marketing department in another thread but the latter photo advert is why I became a Pentaxian and I was so close to going Nikon!

Rain actually got into my K-30 and destroyed it but Pentax replaced it for free after 2 years out of warranty. I never took the new one out in the rain though! 😁

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,830

Leandros S wrote:

From this blog:

"The main change is the restyled pentaprism housing, somewhat reminicent of an F-117 “Nighthawk” stealth airplane."

So the purpose is not weather protection, it is to make Pentax cameras invisible to radar.

Joe

DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,081

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

From this blog:

"The main change is the restyled pentaprism housing, somewhat reminicent of an F-117 “Nighthawk” stealth airplane."

So the purpose is not weather protection, it is to make Pentax cameras invisible to radar.

It does fit with their marketing strategy, i.e., flying under the radar...

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +30 more
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 1,102
Good marketing back than..

Oiche wrote:

....the latter photo advert is why I became a Pentaxian and I was so close to going Nikon!

Certainly; this is a powerful image--enough to create new buyers--especially for the price of K-30 compared to other WR cameras of the time.

Kind regards,

Massao

-- hide signature --

First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A37 Pentax K-30 Sony SLT-A58 A3000 +35 more
lela_jr Regular Member • Posts: 287

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Oh, so that is why you never see one ...

-- hide signature --

www.izudinlelic.com

lela_jr's gear list:lela_jr's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +21 more
rmalbers Regular Member • Posts: 373

Marketing, what marketing?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads