32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor

Started Jun 17, 2019 | Discussions
Melbourne Park Senior Member • Posts: 2,694
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor
1

Firstly thanks for assisting.

CAcreeks wrote:

Melbourne Park wrote:

I had started out wanting USB-C due to its ease of use and its notebook charging capability.

I shudder to think USB-C might become necessary in the future, because it is non-durable in my cellphone experience. Far fewer plug-unplug cycles than specified.

That has not been my experience. My Macbook has four of them though. But my wife's HP notebook has just one USB=type C Thunderbolt port and she has used just that single port for charging, and it provides data and video/sound in Alt/Mode to a USB-Type C monitor. Her HP notebook is almost 3 years old too. IMO its better built than my Macbook Pro, although perhaps that's due to her not using it nearly as much as my 15.4 Pro. But IMO my macbook is just too thin.

I now think that an easy menu system and a responsive hand shake with a connected notebook is more important than USB-C. It seems Dell are higher up the tree on good software than the other three monitors mentioned. In Australia an LG 32" either is a VA monitor or its more expensive, due I think to being full Thunderbolt 3 input capable.

Is the LG 32UD not available in Australia? Here in the US it costs less than the HP Z-32. You did not specify which Dell model you were looking at, but said it's even more expensive.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1374657-REG/lg_32ud89_w_32ud89w_31_5_4k_uhd.html

The Dell I am considering is the Dell U3219Q. Its something like 18% more than my HP Z-32 price was (which was cheaper than the USA price at B&H). Although I got a good discount from HP support when I bought it, due to ringing HP support in regards to how well my wife's Elitebook with its low rent on CPU Intel 630 GPU would operate a 4 K monitor. In discussion the support lady in India offered my about 8% of HP's direct internet price. My wife's notebook is still under warranty. Maybe I should ring Dells support and query its monitor issues? Maybe they'll sell me one cheap? But they are not in stock at Dell Australia at the moment. Maybe that is why people are charging a lot for them.

In Australia LG's site says its been discontinued. They sell a VA - one with 750 in it; and a 950 version too which has IPS. I've read reports that the LG Picture in Picture and Picture by Picture is not good, which sounds like the HP's setup as well. I think HP uses LG for their screens too, so perhaps that is why the HP did not work.

Strangely Dell offer an IPS curved 43" 4k monitor which is just $100 more than the 32". But my wife is afraid of a bigger monitor. I have tried to convince her, but she won't listen.

I have a similar 27" model and find the HDMI sync to laptop works well. Four choices on the |[]| key including mirroring and extension. It was the top-rated 4K monitor on rtings.com.

No rotation unless you buy another stand, such as VESA.

-- hide signature --

"It was perfectly clear to us that something so principally new and tradition-defying as this camera would only be accepted with the greatest reservations by most photographers."
- Dr. Max Berek (designer for the original Leica camera lenses)

 Melbourne Park's gear list:Melbourne Park's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Melbourne Park Senior Member • Posts: 2,694
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor
1

We have purchased a non photo use Dell 4k 32" monitor (I think 31.4") monitor. While it is not competitive gaming suitable, or suitable for in monitor color calibration, etc., it promises clear text and promises easy to use dual computer inputs.

-- hide signature --

"It was perfectly clear to us that something so principally new and tradition-defying as this camera would only be accepted with the greatest reservations by most photographers."
- Dr. Max Berek (designer for the original Leica camera lenses)

 Melbourne Park's gear list:Melbourne Park's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
UnfetteredWandering
UnfetteredWandering New Member • Posts: 9
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor

Melbourne Park wrote:

We have purchased a non photo use Dell 4k 32" monitor (I think 31.4") monitor. While it is not competitive gaming suitable, or suitable for in monitor color calibration, etc., it promises clear text and promises easy to use dual computer inputs.

I ended up purchasing the U3219Q as well and am waiting on a coworker who needs to go into the office for essential business to send me my color calibrator that I left at work.

I'm using it's built in KVM to alternate between my work Lenovo (USB-C) and my home PC (display port & USB-A). So far it is working well.

 UnfetteredWandering's gear list:UnfetteredWandering's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Melbourne Park Senior Member • Posts: 2,694
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor
1

UnfetteredWandering wrote:

Melbourne Park wrote:

We have purchased a non photo use Dell 4k 32" monitor (I think 31.4") monitor. While it is not competitive gaming suitable, or suitable for in monitor color calibration, etc., it promises clear text and promises easy to use dual computer inputs.

I ended up purchasing the U3219Q as well and am waiting on a coworker who needs to go into the office for essential business to send me my color calibrator that I left at work.

I'm using it's built in KVM to alternate between my work Lenovo (USB-C) and my home PC (display port & USB-A). So far it is working well.

Yes, its a very good panel. Straight out of the box it all worked. Only issue was establishing the inputs. But the monitor recognised what was going on, and the software and controls are very easy to use and buttons are well placed. The monitor also recognises a disconnection and a re-connection - the HP one did not, plus it just did not accept two computers at one time, unlike the Dell. My wife is very happy now, and I am no longer needed in her home office. Thank goodness.

Only issue for me is that HP is not paying me back for the monitor. I am commenting legal proceedings.

-- hide signature --

"It was perfectly clear to us that something so principally new and tradition-defying as this camera would only be accepted with the greatest reservations by most photographers."
- Dr. Max Berek (designer for the original Leica camera lenses)

 Melbourne Park's gear list:Melbourne Park's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
OP Katonda Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor
2

UnfetteredWandering wrote:

Hello Katonda,

How is your PD3200U treating you? Are you happy with your decision or has there been some unforeseen issues?

Hey Vic,

Sorry for the late response. I haven't visited the forums lately. The PD3200U has been treating me well and I am very happy with it. Zero technical issues. Best monitor I've ever owned (only monitor over 150USD though).

I am thinking of getting a second, larger monitor though. The plan is to put the PD3200U into a vertical position and work with two monitors. However, the new monitor won't be as fancy since I will continue to use the PD3200U for photo editing and the larger monitor for work/movies/games. I'm not in a hurry though and may wait for sales later this or next year.

I should note that at 32 inches, I have most games displayed at 1440p and most apps (browser, desktop, etc) at 150% simply because the text becomes quite small to read. So for those who want comfortable reading at 4k, you may want to consider a monitor larger than 32".

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,749
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor
1

Katonda wrote:

UnfetteredWandering wrote:

Hello Katonda,

How is your PD3200U treating you? Are you happy with your decision or has there been some unforeseen issues?

Hey Vic,

Sorry for the late response. I haven't visited the forums lately. The PD3200U has been treating me well and I am very happy with it. Zero technical issues. Best monitor I've ever owned (only monitor over 150USD though).

I am thinking of getting a second, larger monitor though. The plan is to put the PD3200U into a vertical position and work with two monitors. However, the new monitor won't be as fancy since I will continue to use the PD3200U for photo editing and the larger monitor for work/movies/games. I'm not in a hurry though and may wait for sales later this or next year.

I should note that at 32 inches, I have most games displayed at 1440p and most apps (browser, desktop, etc) at 150% simply because the text becomes quite small to read. So for those who want comfortable reading at 4k, you may want to consider a monitor larger than 32".

If you'd like larger text at 4K without increasing the overall scaling, look under Settings, Ease of Access, Display, Make Text Bigger. I'm using a 32" 4K/UHD monitor at 4K res, and 150% scaling works fine for me, but perhaps I'm sitting closer.

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
UnfetteredWandering
UnfetteredWandering New Member • Posts: 9
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor

Austinian wrote:

Katonda wrote:

UnfetteredWandering wrote:

Hello Katonda,

How is your PD3200U treating you? Are you happy with your decision or has there been some unforeseen issues?

Hey Vic,

Sorry for the late response. I haven't visited the forums lately. The PD3200U has been treating me well and I am very happy with it. Zero technical issues. Best monitor I've ever owned (only monitor over 150USD though).

I am thinking of getting a second, larger monitor though. The plan is to put the PD3200U into a vertical position and work with two monitors. However, the new monitor won't be as fancy since I will continue to use the PD3200U for photo editing and the larger monitor for work/movies/games. I'm not in a hurry though and may wait for sales later this or next year.

I should note that at 32 inches, I have most games displayed at 1440p and most apps (browser, desktop, etc) at 150% simply because the text becomes quite small to read. So for those who want comfortable reading at 4k, you may want to consider a monitor larger than 32".

If you'd like larger text at 4K without increasing the overall scaling, look under Settings, Ease of Access, Display, Make Text Bigger. I'm using a 32" 4K/UHD monitor at 4K res, and 150% scaling works fine for me, but perhaps I'm sitting closer.

Hello Katonda,
No need to apologize, mate. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the PD3200U. I don't tend to post much either as I often don't often have anything to say or I'm too busy taking pictures processing them.

Similarly to Austinian, I'm running my scaling at 150% with the distance between my eyes and the monitor of 24-30 inches. Not all of the windows (mainly menu windows) scale properly, but the vast majority of them do so it's not a complaint.

Cheers,
Vic

 UnfetteredWandering's gear list:UnfetteredWandering's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads