32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor

Started Jun 17, 2019 | Discussions
OP Katonda Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor

CAcreeks wrote:

Bill Heiser wrote:

I've learned from experts on this topic (people who do retouching & high end printing for a living) that this same issue with monitor dot pitch also affects sharpening. e.g. its not possible to do critical sharpening on a 4K monitor. The dot pitch is so fine that it makes images appear sharp even if they're not, and you can't see the individual pixels to properly do the sharpening.

Why don't they just get a large 4K monitor with the same dot pitch as their smaller monitor?

E.g. the LG 43UD79 costs $569 with a dot pitch similar to a 24" FHD monitor. The rtings.com review looks like it would be OK except if used in the dark.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/43ud79-b

I think this would simply be too large for my desk. In addition I currently have a 1980x1200 (a little taller than FHD) on 24 inches, and I would like something with higher pixel density than that.

Katonda wrote:

ppage wrote:

According to this HP Z32 Datasheet, the warranty is 3 years, not 1 like I had originally thought. The HP website also claims 10-bit color depth as does BHPhoto . May I ask where you read the contrary?

I just checked B&H photo again and the bit depth for the HP Z32 is listed as 8-Bit+FRC while the colour gamut is 99% sRGB.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1410160-REG/hp_hp_z32_31_5_4k.html

I think all of the screens on my list are 8-bit + frc. Are there any true 10-bit under a grand?

A little correction here: The BenQ PD3200U is apparently a true native 10-bit panel.
Edit: Nvm, it is 8bit + FRC. Source was wrong.

Just a little update to my initial summary, with some new information and corrections:

All four monitors come with 3 year warranties according to their manufacturers' websites. All four have HDMI 2.0, supporting 60hz at 4K.

Here are some places where you can compare most of the specs side by side (although some aren't entirely accurate):

Tweakers (NL)

BHPhotoVideo (ENG)

DisplaySpecifications (ENG)

Prad (DE)

And for the Dell and LG compared on RTINGS (ENG)

Katonda wrote:

Here they are in increasing order of price (German Amazon prices, Q2 2019):

• BenQ PD3200U
  • HP Z32
  • LG 32UD99
  • Dell U3219Q

In addition, here is how they rank in terms of GtG response rate (from slowest to fastest):

• HP Z32
  • Dell U3219Q
  • LG 32UD99
  • BenQ PD3200U

And how they rank in terms of color gamut (smallest to widest, tested by professional reviewers after calibration):

• HP Z32
  • LG 32UD99 = Dell U3219Q
  • BenQ PD3200U

BenQ PD3200U

~ €670

Oldest of the 4, this monitor has been a favorite in the semi-professional community for quite some time. As I am not a design professional, I won't be using the CAD, Animation or Dark Room modes, but the 100% sRGB and KVM switch are definitely a bonus. It's a sturdy and well-built monitor that weighs 12.5kg, with a brightness of 350cd/m², a 4ms GtG response and a contrast ratio of 1000:1. It comes with a 3 year warranty. Only downside is that I've read about issues regarding flickering, bleeding and unequal colors. How common are they?

Some useful reviews:

Prad.de (DE)

Hardware.info (NL)

Digital Trends (ENG)

PCMonitors.info (ENG)

HP Z32

~ €785

I've had a hard time finding reviews on this monitor but its specs look good. Again, it's a sturdy and well-built monitor. It weighs 12kg, with a brightness of 350cd/m² and a slower 14ms GtG response. However, it has a higher contrast ratio of 1300:1 with 99% sRGB coverage. I had trouble finding the warranty for this monitor, but I think it's only 1 year. Only drawback I've read about is that you need to deal with HP's business division for any issues as this isn't classified as a consumer product. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One review with tested specs:

CHIP.de (DE)

I think I will have to rule this monitor out. I just haven't been able to find any detailed reviews on it and spec-wise it just doesn't seem to hold up. It seems to be a good monitor for businesses which have supplier deals with HP, but at the price I've seen it offered at, I don't think it's competitive.

LG 32UD99

~ €800

This one is popular in a lot of places, but also has some mixed reviews regarding light bleeding. This one only weighs 8.4kg, with a brightness of 350cd/m² and a 5ms GtG response. It has a wide color gamut (100% sRGB) and a similar contrast ratio to the previous one, namely 1300:1. Apart from the light bleeding, this monitor seems to only come with a 1 year warranty which I find suspect.

Some useful reviews:

RTINGS.com (ENG)

Prad.de (DE)

Hardware.info (NL)

Dell U3219Q

~ €880

The newest and most expensive model looks beautiful and has some great specs and reviews. This one weighs in at 9.1kg with a relatively higher brightness of 400cd/m². It also covers 99% sRGB. While it does have good reviews, I have a hard time justifying the extra cost when compared to the other three.

Some useful reviews:

RTINGS.com (ENG)

CHIP.de (DE)

I have a hard time justifying the extra price hear compared to the LG since they are really neck in neck. I'm also a bit worried about the flickering as I am sensitive to fluorescent lights... I'm thinking this model might also need to go on the chopping block, but damn is it pretty.

johnnyandedgar Contributing Member • Posts: 501

We have one of these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083238-REG/eizo_ev3237fx_bk_led_backlit_ips.html

I know it is greater then your budget. It is just amazing.

johnnyandedgar

ppage
ppage Senior Member • Posts: 2,080

Thanks for this.  Some interesting info. there.

Peter

ppage

Eizo makes great monitors but I'm surprised that it only has an 8-bit colour depth and that the specs don't specify its colour gamut.

Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,356

ppage wrote:

... the specs don't specify its colour gamut.

The Eizo brochure for all their FlexScan monitors mentions sRGB but does not assert that the monitors cover all or virtually all of it.
https://www.eizo.com/eizo/media/contentassets/2018/07/23/FlexScan_1807.pdf

Also, the EV3237 seems to have been replaced by the EV3285.

Hi all,

A quick update:

I just ordered the PD3200U. A breakdown of my thinking on the matter:

The first monitor stricken from the list was the HP Z32. Lackluster reviews and not the most competitive price, given it's so-so features. I did like the masculine rectangular design though.

The second to go was the Dell, though it was hard to drop. It's the best looking, newest, brightest with the most features, but also the most expensive. What finally made me decide against it was the flickering, as I am a bit sensitive to it.

Once it was down to the LG 32UD99-W and BenQ PD3200U things got hard. In the end I chose the BenQ because it basically does everything the LG does except for a few things:

• USB-C
  • HDR-10
  • Sleeker Design

Firstly, the USB-C I didn't need. Secondly, the HDR-10 doesn't seem like it's fully mature and more of a 'reach the minimum threshold to be able to brand it as HDR-10). I think this tech will be much better and affordable in the years to come. So I was left with a difference of around €100 for a design update.

Since most of my peripherals are black anyways and the design of the BenQ is similar to my Asus VS24AH, it came down to personal taste in the end. The flickering issues of the PD3200u which initially held me back are rumored to have been dealt with in a firmware update.

I will post updates (pics & impression) once it arrives. Sadly, since I've only ever owned or used a FHD monitor, I won't be able to qualify or compare my impressions to anything similar. But hey, one more unprofessional anecdotal review of a monitor!

ppage

Please do post a review of it once you feel you're in a position to do so.  As I said in an earlier post I've decided to put my purchase off until the fall, but I've narrowed my choices to this BenQ monitor or the Asus PA329Q (unless the BenQ PD322OU is available in Canada by then).

Hope you enjoy your new monitor.
Peter

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 4,224

Charles2 wrote:

ppage wrote:

The Eizo brochure for all their FlexScan monitors mentions sRGB but does not assert that the monitors cover all or virtually all of it.

If you know where to look they do:

https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/db/files/catalogs/lcd/FlexScan_S_Series.pdf

Gamut of various FlexScan displays from Eizo

Charles2

pixelgenius wrote:

Charles2 wrote:

ppage wrote:

The Eizo brochure for all their FlexScan monitors mentions sRGB but does not assert that the monitors cover all or virtually all of it. Also, the EV3237 seems to have been replaced by the EV3285.

Since the discussion is about the EV32xx series, a brochure for the S22xx series does not answer the question.

pixelgenius

Charles2 wrote:

pixelgenius wrote:

Charles2 wrote:

ppage wrote:

The Eizo brochure for all their FlexScan monitors mentions sRGB but does not assert that the monitors cover all or virtually all of it. Also, the EV3237 seems to have been replaced by the EV3285.

Since the discussion is about the EV32xx series, a brochure for the S22xx series does not answer the question.

Doesn't matter for the correction necessary based on what you wrote, incorrectly I'll add (copy and paste):

ALL FLEXSCAN MONITORS; see what you specifically stated ? Click on the link to the left, you'll see exactly what you wrote about all Flexcan displays; that isn't correct. Now you know the facts I think.........

Sorry no, not all their FlexScan monitors mentions sRGB, and not all are sRGB (color gamut which is the what they are talking about alone, the gamut of the display).

I'm sorry that the correction to your post ruined your evening.

Of course your need to edit your own text as well as my correction from the reply above has been observed (again).

Charles2

pixelgenius wrote:

Charles2 wrote:

Doesn't matter ...

You have not advanced the knowledge of the OP and the cordial people on this thread. You have only exhibited again your ability to distort in order to preen and try to start a flame war.

pixelgenius

Charles2 wrote:

pixelgenius wrote:

Charles2 wrote:

Doesn't matter ...

You have not advanced the knowledge of the OP and the cordial people on this thread.

So you now feel entitled to speak for the OP and all other people reading this thread?

No, I simply posted and again, corrected you. NOW the OP and cordial people on this thread can, as provided, see exactly the gamut of various FlexScan displays If you know where to look they do (you didn't, I did):

You have only exhibited again your ability to distort in order to preen and try to start a flame war.

No, I simply corrected your text with facts. It may fall on your deaf ears, but the OP and other's at least can see this statement is simply incorrect:

Charles2 wrote: The Eizo brochure for all their FlexScan monitors mentions sRGB but does not assert that the monitors cover all or virtually all of it.

If only if you spent a bit more time checking your facts before posting, instead of getting upset by correction from many others, maybe you should spend a bit more time fact checking before typing.

It would save both of us so much time.

chavlji New Member • Posts: 3

I just bought Dell U3219Q it and my main concern was flickering reported on Rtings review. I'm however very happy to announce that it IS 100% flicker-free (as advertised by Dell).

I did a simple test:

Prepare black screen with 1px wide vertical line in the middle. Set camera (RX100 v1) to manual mode (iso 200, F2.5, manual focus) with exposure 1/25. Quickly drag camera horizontally and shoot while dragging.

Flickering is clearly present on my cheap Samsung 2253LW: https://ibb.co/2PkzLFX

On U3219Q gray rectangle is perfectly even so light has the same intensity throughout the shot (brightness at 30%): https://ibb.co/J3bYQmn

If it had 200 HZ pwm at 1/25 of a second there should be exactly 8 brighter and darker vertical areas evenly distributed over gray rectangle.

Otherwise it's top notch monitor! Picture is great, and connectivity is awesome (I have 3 computers connected). The only thing I notice is harsh color bleeding, but I'm not using it in the dark room. Perfect monitor for a coder like my self!

UnfetteredWandering
UnfetteredWandering New Member • Posts: 9

Katonda wrote:

Hi all,

A quick update:

I just ordered the PD3200U. A breakdown of my thinking on the matter:

[snip]

I will post updates (pics & impression) once it arrives. Sadly, since I've only ever owned or used a FHD monitor, I won't be able to qualify or compare my impressions to anything similar. But hey, one more unprofessional anecdotal review of a monitor!

Hello Katonda,

How is your PD3200U treating you? Are you happy with your decision or has there been some unforeseen issues?

I was considering roughly the same four monitors as you (with the exception being the LG 32BL95U instead of the LG you listed). I haven't found any detailed, professional reviews of the Z32 though there are many of the Z27. Both the PD3200U and the U3219Q offer a form of KVM switching, which puts them at the top of my list, but I'm concerned about warranty support.

All the best,
Vic

UnfetteredWandering's gear list:UnfetteredWandering's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D700 Sony a7R IV Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II +9 more
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,433

I look at the customer reviews on B&H and other websites. When Benq first started producing relatively inexpensive 4K monitors there were a great many people who had them fail in short order. I disklike adding any more than is necessary to the amount of electronic waste and try to buy electronics equipment that is engineered to last and where the manufacturer provides ongoing support.

If I was buying a new display today it would be the HP Z32 31.5" 16:9 4K UHD IPS display that B&H is selling for $767. There may be better displays for gamers but for video editing this would be my choice.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
UnfetteredWandering
UnfetteredWandering New Member • Posts: 9

calson wrote:

I look at the customer reviews on B&H and other websites. When Benq first started producing relatively inexpensive 4K monitors there were a great many people who had them fail in short order. I dislike adding any more than is necessary to the amount of electronic waste and try to buy electronics equipment that is engineered to last and where the manufacturer provides ongoing support.

If I was buying a new display today it would be the HP Z32 31.5" 16:9 4K UHD IPS display that B&H is selling for $767. There may be better displays for gamers but for video editing this would be my choice.

Hi calson,

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you have any experience with the HP Z32?

UnfetteredWandering's gear list:UnfetteredWandering's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D700 Sony a7R IV Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II +9 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 15,497

calson wrote:

... I dislike adding any more than is necessary to the amount of electronic waste and try to buy electronics equipment that is engineered to last ...

I agree with you about electronic waste. Phones and tablets are particularly bad because Google doesn't support Android for very long. Maybe Apple is better about iOS.

When it comes to a monitor, durability probably doesn't matter. By the time a moderately priced 4K monitor wears out, they will be making 8K monitors.

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,372

CAcreeks wrote:

When it comes to a monitor, durability probably doesn't matter.

Probably not, since we have LED backlights. The only monitor age-related problem I've seen so far was color shift on old CCFLs.

By the time a moderately priced 4K monitor wears out, they will be making 8K monitors.

If you don't mind a big screen and are willing to spend the bucks, here you are:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/1/3/18166498/lg-2019-tv-hdmi-2-1-8k-alexa-google-assistant-thinq/

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads