generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

Started 2 months ago | Questions
icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

hello,

I have a question about the studio lighting for portrait and products.

I found this image on internet...and wondering how to make this lighting.
ceiling bounced top light which goes around the object
side light (strobe +honeycumb grid) to make shadow...

but the difference is
I will not get sharp unnatural shadow

Does anybody have a suggestion about lighting for this???

thank you,

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 24,645
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
1

Pointless.

If you want to light a skirt and some shoes and a blouse, select the equipment you need, and start from scratch.

Don't copy someone else, who may or may not have used retouching software.

Or maybe the photographer set picture styles.

BAK

Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 2,523
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
2

icoh wrote:

hello,

I found this image on internet...and wondering how to make this lighting.
ceiling bounced top light which goes around the object
side light (strobe +honeycumb grid) to make shadow...

I am guessing you mean a sidelight with a strobe in a soft box or in an umbrella.

If I understand correctly you want to duplicate this image but with a soft shadow. If I'm not understanding what you want please disregard everything below.

If you don't want the sharp shadow you will need a much softer side light than in the image, perhaps something with a lot of falloff you can feather a lot.

What sort of equipment do you have available?

This shadow is just one soft box about twice it's diameter away from the subject and NO fill and NO feathering and it gives a softer shadow than what you demonstrated.

Or am I failing to understand the question?

but the difference is
I will not get sharp unnatural shadow

sharpblur
sharpblur Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
2

It's very nice lighting. Lot's of ambient light + one hard light. I think creating that ambient light depends on space and it can be produced in many different ways but it has to be done with multiple soft sources or bounces.

OP icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

hi BAK

thank you for your comment.
I'm experimenting different kinds of unnatural lighting and got curious about the technique used in this image.

best,

OP icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

hi Schrodingers_cat,

thank you for your message:) and sorry to make you confused.

Schrodingers_cat wrote:

icoh wrote:

hello,

I found this image on internet...and wondering how to make this lighting.
ceiling bounced top light which goes around the object
side light (strobe +honeycumb grid) to make shadow...

I am guessing you mean a sidelight with a strobe in a soft box or in an umbrella.

If I understand correctly you want to duplicate this image but with a soft shadow. If I'm not understanding what you want please disregard everything below.

If you don't want the sharp shadow you will need a much softer side light than in the image, perhaps something with a lot of falloff you can feather a lot.

What sort of equipment do you have available?

This shadow is just one soft box about twice it's diameter away from the subject and NO fill and NO feathering and it gives a softer shadow than what you demonstrated.

Or am I failing to understand the question?

but the difference is
I will not get sharp unnatural shadow

OP icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

hi Schrodingers_cat,

thanks for your message and sorry for making you confused.
I actually wanted to make the shadow like I attached...unnatural, mysterious, illustrated shadow which has sharp outline from the bottom of objects to the far...

I have

2 x Bowens strobe (one softbox, one umbrella)
Godox 850ll

and...of course it could have some manipulations... but I wonder and am curious about it.
thank you for your image too!!!

OP icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

Hi sharpblur,

thank you for your comment.
It is the unnatural feel in the image I like.
I will keep n playing

jlafferty Contributing Member • Posts: 712
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
1

It looks like the shadow has been cleaned up in post, i.e. the edge has been straightened.

The cleanest shadow edges come from a fresnel because the rays arriving at the subject are parallel. A grid has a similar result though my gut tells me with greater light loss. A focused spot with a lens can work, too, though it generally has blue fringing at the edge.

The relationship of light distance to subject, and subject distance to wall/floor should be taken into account as well. You need to get the light as far away as possible from the subject; and the subject as close to the surface you want your shadow projected on.

The flatness comes from filling the shadows with a secondary, or multiple secondary sources, with coverage bigger than your subject. You do this classically either directly behind camera, or directly behind your key light (no matter its axis).

If you've got more examples, and especially examples with the model's face, that could be helpful.

icoh wrote:

hello,

I have a question about the studio lighting for portrait and products.

I found this image on internet...and wondering how to make this lighting.
ceiling bounced top light which goes around the object
side light (strobe +honeycumb grid) to make shadow...

but the difference is
I will not get sharp unnatural shadow

Does anybody have a suggestion about lighting for this???

thank you,

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 14,547
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
1

The main light is a hard light to the side and up.

Possibly a fill light next to or above the camera to light the and open up the shadows on the side of the subject.

Pretty much standard background lighting.

Subject flat on to the main light.

Frankly I don't think the lighting is very good.

For fashion you want light that shows off the fashion. This means hard or semi-hard side lighting that throws shadows that highlight the drape and folds of the fashion and show the weave of the fabric.  You then add a soft fill light to control the darkness of the shadows. Hair lights and accent lights - up to the customers vision of what they want.

Typical main light sources are beauty dishes, large metal bowl reflectors, or small size softboxes placed beyond 2 diameters/diagonals away from the subject.  Grids might be used but probably not - just pull out the outer diffuser if you want more specular lighting.

Big fill light diffusers.

Go buy a bunch of high fashion magazines and figure out the lighting.  Those photographers get paid lots of money for those images so they know how to satisfy the customers.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

 Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
sharpblur
sharpblur Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
1

it's quite trendy light at the moment. I personally like it but I have some friends who are not very enthused about it.

MindInRewind Senior Member • Posts: 1,215
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
1

jlafferty wrote:

It looks like the shadow has been cleaned up in post, i.e. the edge has been straightened.

The cleanest shadow edges come from a fresnel because the rays arriving at the subject are parallel. A grid has a similar result though my gut tells me with greater light loss. A focused spot with a lens can work, too, though it generally has blue fringing at the edge.

The relationship of light distance to subject, and subject distance to wall/floor should be taken into account as well. You need to get the light as far away as possible from the subject; and the subject as close to the surface you want your shadow projected on.

The flatness comes from filling the shadows with a secondary, or multiple secondary sources, with coverage bigger than your subject. You do this classically either directly behind camera, or directly behind your key light (no matter its axis).

If you've got more examples, and especially examples with the model's face, that could be helpful.

I too think the shadow was cleaned in post.  It also could have been shot outside in the sun light.

~MIR

icoh wrote:

thank you,

Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,174
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
2

Side light generating shadow would be a harder light with reflector like this

BTS setup

In your case this light would be high camera right, to give a shadow camera left, and the model would be pulled forward off of the paper backdrop to avoid the shadow falling onto the curve.

If you needed to soften the main light, you'd add a large modifier, something around 6ft, filling from closer to camera axis, and in close.

This gets you soft light and little/no visible shadow from this light source

In this case a 190cm Octa camera left, in close to the model. You see how the large source with dual diffusion gives almost no shadow.

I believe combining these two sources, and playing with the balance will get you the effect you're after.

I do think the shadow has been modified in post, and made deeper (darker)

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

 Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +41 more
OP icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

hi jlafferty, MindInRewind

thank you for your comments full of tips !!!
I like to shoot with as less possible post... "analogue" way :)so probably I could make the shadow with the paint or color paper....

Yes it is hard to have this shadow...with very strong sun... it is possible but then the sun light affect another parts of body as well...

thank you!!

MindInRewind wrote:

jlafferty wrote:

It looks like the shadow has been cleaned up in post, i.e. the edge has been straightened.

The cleanest shadow edges come from a fresnel because the rays arriving at the subject are parallel. A grid has a similar result though my gut tells me with greater light loss. A focused spot with a lens can work, too, though it generally has blue fringing at the edge.

The relationship of light distance to subject, and subject distance to wall/floor should be taken into account as well. You need to get the light as far away as possible from the subject; and the subject as close to the surface you want your shadow projected on.

The flatness comes from filling the shadows with a secondary, or multiple secondary sources, with coverage bigger than your subject. You do this classically either directly behind camera, or directly behind your key light (no matter its axis).

If you've got more examples, and especially examples with the model's face, that could be helpful.

I too think the shadow was cleaned in post. It also could have been shot outside in the sun light.

~MIR

icoh wrote:

thank you,

OP icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

hi Sailor Blue, sharpblue,

thank you for your comments.
I don't work in the studio that much. So it is nice experimenting this time and thank you for helping me studying

It depends on the clients and yes fashion photography can be very dramatic as well...
I got curious about this slightly weird and graphic way of approach as well

I will check magazines to catch up the trend:) thank you!

OP icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

hi Chris Dodki,

thank you for your comments with the very illustrative images.

great that showing me all steps

my strobe is 500w...so I wonder if for instance it cover 140cm octa .... but interesting...
I will keep on playing.

Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 636
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
1

Sharp shadows with no penumbra are caused by small light sources: the more closely a light source resembles a point of light, the sharper the shadow line will be. The distance of the surface from the subject causing the shadow also affects it: the closer the subject, the sharper the shadow.

Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,174
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end
1

I use a 600W strobe in my 190cm octa, and only run 1/2 power max for f/8

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

 Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +41 more
OP icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

good to know thank you!

OP icoh Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: generally flat lighting with additional focussed shadow till the end

Thanks alot Andre Yew !!! good tips

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads