EM1X, Forest, June 16. 2019

Started 3 months ago | Photos
OP Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 5,314
Re: EM1X, Forest, June 16. 2019

Donald B wrote:

Paul Auclair wrote:

Donald B wrote:

No 2 is my pick, shame it wasn’t shot at iso 800 @ 1/200 sec.

Don

Indeed.

I knew I had Auto ISO set (often do in the forest) and was seeing ISO 3200 with the Flycatchers.

I did drop the shutter down assuming the camera would lower the ISO too but it turns out I should have been keeping a better eye on things as the ISO did not drop.

Next time

easy to do hey, last night I took an image of my dog on the lounge ,grabbed the 25 .95 set wide open got 3 shots before he moved and notice the auto iso was 1600 but its still a great image and will print at a3 no problems. your bird image is such a beautiful image love the 3d look ( perspective) with the surrounding branches ,that's very hard to do on a consistent basis.

Don

thanks Don.

my ISO limit is 3200.

if 3200 is not 'enough' then i choose to under-expose hoping to salvage in post.

it's not a terrible issue if there is enough detail captured to hide the noise.

so, with the Flycatchers, when i changed the shutter from 1/1200-1/1600 to 1/800 there was no change in ISO 3200 because i was underexposing at the higher speeds.

i kinda thought at the time that i had more light than i obviously did which is why i wasn't paying too much attn.

-- hide signature --

as always,
thank you fellow DPR members for your kind words and encouragement.

hifi
hifi Senior Member • Posts: 2,559

Your pictures are an inspiration!  I am in awe!

poppyjk
poppyjk Contributing Member • Posts: 710

Paul Auclair wrote:

RAW/LR, handheld, ProCap L, 10fps, single point (small) AF target.

Least Flycatcher

Paul,

Your entire set presented here is really impressive. You show great skill and patience with your shots.

I have been trying to evaluate a move to Olympus EM 1xx for travel at age 77 and your photos are persuasive. These have far better color and detail than I usually encounter from m4/3.

I have recently tried Topaz AI Clear now improved to DeNoise AI and find it very helpful on many higher ISO photos. Using DxO PhotoLab myself and find its Prime NR great, but sometimes like a little more noise reduction and some sharpening. DeNoise AI does a nice job of 'polishing' up a photo to suit me.

Fwiw, thought you might be interested in seeing what it can do at default settings to one of your ISO 3200 shots.

@200% Original left; AI Clear at default auto center; DeNoise AI at default auto right

DeNoise AI at default auto

-- hide signature --

"Not all who wander are lost." —J.R.R. Tolkien

poppyjk's gear list:poppyjk's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +5 more

poppyjk wrote:

Paul Auclair wrote:

RAW/LR, handheld, ProCap L, 10fps, single point (small) AF target.

Least Flycatcher

Paul,

Your entire set presented here is really impressive. You show great skill and patience with your shots.

I have been trying to evaluate a move to Olympus EM 1xx for travel at age 77 and your photos are persuasive. These have far better color and detail than I usually encounter from m4/3.

I have recently tried Topaz AI Clear now improved to DeNoise AI and find it very helpful on many higher ISO photos. Using DxO PhotoLab and find its Prime NR great but sometimes like a little more noise reduction and some sharpening. DeNoise AI does a nice job of 'polishing' up a photo to suit me.

Fwiw, thought you might be interested in seeing what it can do at default settings to one of your ISO 3200 shots.

@200% Original left; AI Clear at default auto center; DeNoise AI at default auto right

DeNoise AI at default auto

Hi poppyjk,

Thanks for the kind words and your time.

I definitely can see and appreciate the differences even at default values.

-- hide signature --

as always,

VideoPic
VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
Wow wonderful results, thanks for showing....nt
-- hide signature --

See my Blog for short articles on the Olympus and Panasonic cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
Olympus has a history of innovation, they setting the pace on technology and camera functionality. Those in the know realize this trend will continue. Olympus is in the game for optical advances and a passion for the best possible equipment to record the image. Study the Olympus corporate portfolio and you will be amazed by this diverse and interesting company....

VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,244

Very nice set of images.  The out of focus areas in particular seems to be devoid of the nervousness I sometimes see from the 1.4x TC.  Did you process the out of focus areas differently in LR?

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro

SHood wrote:

Very nice set of images. The out of focus areas in particular seems to be devoid of the nervousness I sometimes see from the 1.4x TC. Did you process the out of focus areas differently in LR?

thank you.

I use LR's "Masking" slider (under Details tab) to very quickly and easily mask areas (noise) from being sharpened.

So the answer is yes and no. I sharpen the subject as best as possible while leaving the other areas untouched...all at the same time though.

I have a lot of different, good/popular, PP software but I shoot a lot nowadays and I have to really minimize time spent at the computer.

So I use LR 99.9% of the time.

-- hide signature --

as always,

cangopluto Senior Member • Posts: 1,275
ai clear vs denoise ai

I warmly recommend these ai products. I just recently tried ai clear (30 day trial withing topaz studio) and like it more than denoise ai. It's not much better though, just slightly. Noise removal wise, it's about the same (can't see any striking difference, though compared it very little). Ai clear however, gives better detail/sharpness.

The bad thing is clear ai is no more. It's replaced by denoise ai. If you have topaz studio, ai clear is there, but at their website ai clear is not included as a pro adjustment anymore, so I wonder if it's not included anymore when buying a new license of studio.

200%. left is iso 1000 raw. middle is denoise ai, and right ai clear. feather detail is better with ai clear.

cangopluto's gear list:cangopluto's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-500 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
poppyjk
poppyjk Contributing Member • Posts: 710
Re: ai clear vs denoise ai

cangopluto wrote:

I warmly recommend these ai products. I just recently tried ai clear (30 day trial withing topaz studio) and like it more than denoise ai. It's not much better though, just slightly. Noise removal wise, it's about the same (can't see any striking difference, though compared it very little). Ai clear however, gives better detail/sharpness.

The bad thing is clear ai is no more. It's replaced by denoise ai. If you have topaz studio, ai clear is there, but at their website ai clear is not included as a pro adjustment anymore, so I wonder if it's not included anymore when buying a new license of studio.

200%. left is iso 1000 raw. middle is denoise ai, and right ai clear. feather detail is better with ai clear.

I prefer AI Clear as well.

The nice thing is that AI Clear with full functionality is available within the new DeNoise AI stand alone app by using a convenient toggle switch.  So you can make adjustments in both and choose the look that you like.

-- hide signature --

"Not all who wander are lost." —J.R.R. Tolkien

poppyjk's gear list:poppyjk's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads