EM1X, Forest, June 16. 2019

Started 2 months ago | Photos
Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 5,312
EM1X, Forest, June 16. 2019

RAW/LR, handheld, ProCap L, 10fps, single point (small) AF target.

Least Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Wild Rose (Alberta's official flower)

Cedar Waxwing

the branch was moving up and down about 10"...hard to get a shot of the puff balls

same bird as the top on the right...not so puffy

Hairy woodpecker (female)

Hairy woodpecker (female)

Common merganser (female with ducklings)

had to share this "duckling surfing" image

Common Merganser (female with ducklings)

Wild Rose bud

-- hide signature --

as always,
thank you fellow DPR members for your kind words and encouragement.

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,238
Re: EM1X, Forest, June 16. 2019

Man you got some darn cute shots in there Paul. The surfer is just brilliant

The waxwings are gorgeous with quite the hair style, wonderful looking birds and very cute ones at the top as well. Woodies are wonderful birds IMO. All well taken as always. Not bad on the foliage as well, nice pinks in there.

How many of those birds do we have, ahhhhh none Beautiful to see thanks.

All the best Paul, nicely done.

Danny.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 II +6 more
Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 11,971

Inspiring.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 944

All super pictures, Paul.  I particularly like the Waxwings.

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 12,797

No 2 is my pick, shame it wasn’t shot at iso 800 @ 1/200 sec.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

joeletx Senior Member • Posts: 2,617

Fantastic! Best cedar waxing shot that I have seen.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
sanjaykool Senior Member • Posts: 1,034

Excellent images. You seems to hell bent on me spending 3000 $ ...lol. - Sanjay

Jeepit Regular Member • Posts: 168

Excellent photos Paul!  Could you please share what setting you were on?  A, P, S, M.

Your ISO is different in many, and you f-stop seems to be consistent.

Starting to do birding more and more so learning from those who do it well is a plus.

Thank You...

Rick

Jeepit's gear list:Jeepit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +16 more
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 5,750
Wonderful shots, never get tired of these (n/t)
 Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +9 more
Gary from Seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,419

Nice set!

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +1 more
OP Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 5,312

nzmacro wrote:

Man you got some darn cute shots in there Paul. The surfer is just brilliant

The waxwings are gorgeous with quite the hair style, wonderful looking birds and very cute ones at the top as well. Woodies are wonderful birds IMO. All well taken as always. Not bad on the foliage as well, nice pinks in there.

How many of those birds do we have, ahhhhh none Beautiful to see thanks.

All the best Paul, nicely done.

Danny.

Thanks Danny.

It was actually a pretty quiet day as far as the birds were concerned...not so for the mosquitoes and pedestrians (there was some sort of marathon event).

I id'd a red-eyed vireo and heard a Blue-headed Vireo but couldn't get a decent shot of either.

Next time šŸ˜‰

-- hide signature --

as always,

mikero wrote:

All super pictures, Paul. I particularly like the Waxwings.

Mike

Waxwings are fav of mine too (Bohemians and Cedars)

-- hide signature --

as always,

Donald B wrote:

Don

Indeed.

I knew I had Auto ISO set (often do in the forest) and was seeing ISO 3200 with the Flycatchers.

I did drop the shutter down assuming the camera would lower the ISO too but it turns out I should have been keeping a better eye on things as the ISO did not drop.

Next time

-- hide signature --

as always,

sanjaykool wrote:

My sincerest šŸ¤£apologies.

I think (hope) I have enough experience with the 1X to do a comparison with the mk2.

To be honest I'm still not 100% sure if things like Center Priority and such are helpful or even noticeable to me.

I am planning to bring out the mk2 for a BIF and forest session as soon as I can.

My goal is to know if there are 'things' I can surely notice that I am "NOW" missing after using the 1X.

-- hide signature --

as always,

mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 944

Paul Auclair wrote:

sanjaykool wrote:

My sincerest šŸ¤£apologies.

I think (hope) I have enough experience with the 1X to do a comparison with the mk2.

To be honest I'm still not 100% sure if things like Center Priority and such are helpful or even noticeable to me.

I am planning to bring out the mk2 for a BIF and forest session as soon as I can.

My goal is to know if there are 'things' I can surely notice that I am "NOW" missing after using the 1X.

That would be really helpful, Paul. Look forward to seeing the conclusions.

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more

Jeepit wrote:

Excellent photos Paul! Could you please share what setting you were on? A, P, S, M.

Starting to do birding more and more so learning from those who do it well is a plus.

Thank You...

Rick

Hi Rick.

Lately, especially when I'm in a forested environment, I'll often defer to AUTO ISO unless I am at one specific spot for a period of time shooting in one particular direction.

In the forest there are so many changes of light (add to that...when clouds roll in overhead) to be mindful of that I just got lazy and let the camera worry about it.

I'll be shooting at something on sunny area of a branch one second and in the deep shade of scrub brush or canopy the next. I'm often shooting against the sun and then with the sun the next second.

So, I shoot the 4/300 with 1.4X wide open and often use AUTO ISO. I use M mode and have AUTO ISO programmed up to ISO 3200 (maybe 6400 with the 1X...i can't remember).

For BIF I often use ISO 400 and (hope for) 1/3200....this is my best light (full on Sunny day).

We are looking forward to seeing your bird photos.

-- hide signature --

as always,

Jeepit Regular Member • Posts: 168

Paul Auclair wrote:

Jeepit wrote:

Excellent photos Paul! Could you please share what setting you were on? A, P, S, M.

Thank You...

Rick

Hi Rick.

Lately, especially when I'm in a forested environment, I'll often defer to AUTO ISO unless I am at one specific spot for a period of time shooting in one particular direction.

In the forest there are so many changes of light (add to that...when clouds roll in overhead) to be mindful of that I just got lazy and let the camera worry about it.

I'll be shooting at something on sunny area of a branch one second and in the deep shade of scrub brush or canopy the next. I'm often shooting against the sun and then with the sun the next second.

So, I shoot the 4/300 with 1.4X wide open and often use AUTO ISO. I use M mode and have AUTO ISO programmed up to ISO 3200 (maybe 6400 with the 1X...i can't remember).

For BIF I often use ISO 400 and (hope for) 1/3200....this is my best light (full on Sunny day).

Thanks for the info.  I acquired the 300mm f4 & tc 1.4 a month ago and still figuring out how to use it.  I also have acquired the FT 300mm f2.8 and also figuring it out as well.

Your settings are most useful for me...a big thank you.

We are looking forward to seeing your bird photos.

Jeepit's gear list:Jeepit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +16 more
cangopluto Senior Member • Posts: 1,258

Very nice series again. Love that hairy woodpecker (we have a similar one).

cangopluto's gear list:cangopluto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-500 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more

cangopluto wrote:

Very nice series again. Love that hairy woodpecker (we have a similar one).

I did not know at the time but I saw a juvenile on the same tree with her and a couple feet below. the juvenile was a little too heavily obstructed to post an image.

he/she, just as big as mother bird, just sat there waiting on mother's handout.

I was surprised to see a color patch on the top of the juvenile's head quite similar to that of a Three-toed woodpecker.

I'm new to birding so at first I thought I may have seen a cross-breed.

being that the second bird was just as big as the female Hairy I didn't suspect it to be an offspring...then I thought of looking up 'juvenile Hairy'. ..et voila.

-- hide signature --

as always,

Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 12,797

Paul Auclair wrote:

Donald B wrote:

Don

Indeed.

I knew I had Auto ISO set (often do in the forest) and was seeing ISO 3200 with the Flycatchers.

I did drop the shutter down assuming the camera would lower the ISO too but it turns out I should have been keeping a better eye on things as the ISO did not drop.

Next time

easy to do hey, last night I took an image of my dog on the lounge ,grabbed the 25 .95 set wide open got 3 shots before he moved and notice the auto iso was 1600 but its still a great image and will print at a3 no problems. your bird image is such a beautiful image love the 3d look ( perspective) with the surrounding branches ,that's very hard to do on a consistent basis.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads