PanaLeica 10-25mm F1.7 Questions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
JordanDrake
OP JordanDrake dpreview Admin • Posts: 127
Re: PanaLeica 10-25mm F1.7 Questions

lunic wrote:

Two questions on aperture ring -

1) Does the aperture ring of production version still has 'detent' on 'A' position?

Yes, it's nice and stiff, but not enough to prevent you from coming into and out of A mode.

2) Especially in still shooting, how does the ring operates in manual F-no settings? Clickless only?

Aperture ring is clickless only. When in photo mode, it adjust the aperture in .1 of an F-Stop increments until F10, where it begins displaying exposure adjustments in single digits.To move exposure in full stop or 1.3 stop increments, just swing the aperture dial to A and use your camera's aperture dial like you would with any other lens.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the questions!

JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,392

JordanDrake wrote:

Michael Meissner wrote:

If you have used the Olympus pro lenses, how does the manual focus clutch compare to those lenses? I know with the Olympus lenses, every user goes through a stage where the lens isn't auto-focusing, and it turns out they had the clutch right enabled. I assume something similar will happen with this lens.

Yes. Happened to Chris today.

There was just one thing I was curious about on the clutch system. The hands on article said there were no hard stops, but that there were feedback stops. Curious how this actually works.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6726234179/hands-on-with-panasonic-s-10-25mm-f1-7-micro-four-thirds-lens?slide=4

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
NovakM Regular Member • Posts: 277

JordanDrake wrote:

Hey all,
I have production copy of the new Panasonic/Leica 10-25mm F1.7. We're testing it as a video lens for DPReview TV, but if any of you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer any that don't require hours of testing.
Thanks!

Hey Jordan,

Thanks for this.

Could you tell me how long it would take for you to get to the nearest post office and ship the lens to me. Youre the best.  Chris aint got nothing on you.

NovakM's gear list:NovakM's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,558

JordanDrake wrote:

This is the main comparison I'm interested in, as the Sigma 18-35/Metabones Booster is my primary setup. The Sigma/Metabones combo will certainly give you more light, and shallower DOF if those are your primary goals. However, the 10-25mm gives you that wonderful 20mm equivalent that I really missed working with the Sigma. Also, having a zoom with next to no focus breathing is a revelation. You'll start seeing a lot more focus pulls in our episodes.

It seems Panasonic hit one out of the park with this lens. As an amateur who shoots primarily stills and also does a few videos often in dark conditions, this lens is starting to say 'buy me, buy me'. I probably need to start accumulating the cash to buy it. Resistance is futile.  I look forward to seeing your full review.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
JordanDrake

TheTrickster2k wrote:

Manual Focus - Linear?

That to me is the last piece of the m43 filming jigsaw with native lenses

While electronically controlled, MF is linear, indexed, and insanely responsive. I've been able to do consistent 'snap' focus pulls, something I was unable to do regularly even with Sony video lenses and Olympus pro lenses with the focus 'clutch' system. 
Expect an irritating overabundance of focus pulls in the next several DPRTV episodes.

Michael Meissner

JordanDrake wrote:

TheTrickster2k wrote:

Manual Focus - Linear?

That to me is the last piece of the m43 filming jigsaw with native lenses

While electronically controlled, MF is linear, indexed, and insanely responsive. I've been able to do consistent 'snap' focus pulls, something I was unable to do regularly even with Sony video lenses and Olympus pro lenses with the focus 'clutch' system.
Expect an irritating overabundance of focus pulls in the next several DPRTV episodes.

I guess that is what happens when you give a videographer nearly everything they want.  They start using it. 

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
JordanDrake
Re: How does it revolve in G9 Hires mode?

Jorginho wrote:

How does it perform on say an Em 1 mark 2 or E M1 X?

Tested it on an E-M1X last night. Single AF is extremely quick, though not quite as fast as with DFD S-AF on the GH5. Continuous AF was a very similar to the Olympus 12-100mm, which was the only sort-of comparable lens I had handy.

The stepless aperture does not function on the Olympus bodies right now (and I'd be very surprised to see firmware address this.

How its performance wide open and compared to it stopped down?

Central sharpness is excellent through to F9, but I'm still in the practical testing phase. No charts yet!

How does it AF in video?

Very nicely on the E-M1X. With the E-M II firmware released today, I'd expect similar performance.

Flaring in sun or under artifical light?

Well controlled. Certainly much better than the Sigma 18-35/Speedbooster combo.

Thx for asking Jordan!

Michael Meissner

JordanDrake wrote:

Hey all,
I have production copy of the new Panasonic/Leica 10-25mm F1.7. We're testing it as a video lens for DPReview TV, but if any of you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer any that don't require hours of testing.
Thanks!

Any idea when the review of the lens will come out?  Or did it come out, and I missed it?

Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 7,762

Michael Meissner wrote:

JordanDrake wrote:

Hey all,
Thanks!

Any idea when the review of the lens will come out? Or did it come out, and I missed it?

You missed it, but here you go https://www.cameralabs.com/panasonic-leica-dg-10-25mm-f1-7-h-x1025-review/2/

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +6 more
Michael Meissner

Albert Valentino wrote:

Any idea when the review of the lens will come out? Or did it come out, and I missed it?

You missed it, but here you go https://www.cameralabs.com/panasonic-leica-dg-10-25mm-f1-7-h-x1025-review/2/

I saw that review already, but I was hoping to see Jordan's review of the lens (and Chris also, but frankly this is more of a videographers lens than a stills lens, so I would hope Jordan gets more airtime).

Cameralabs is good at the basic review of gear (except I dislike those angled shots he does of the beach, but I understand why he does them), but since Jordan has shot a lot of Dpreview TV on the GH5/GH5s, he can got in more detail of the ins/outs of the lens as it relates to micro 4/3rds video.

There is this preview that was shot when the lens was first announced, but this thread sort of indicated there would be a follow on review with the production lens:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads