Can a shutter count be incorrect?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
dressedlikerappers Junior Member • Posts: 30
Can a shutter count be incorrect?

hey, a bit of a weird/pointless and dumb question but basically I just got a new a7iii, fired off a shot, checked the shot, shutter count was on two websites said it was at 2, all good - I shot it as a fine jpg - i don’t remember taking any more shots after that

I updated my camera to get the new firmware and took another photo and the shutter count was now at 5? - different sd card, shot in extra fine + raw.

because i shot it on two different SD cards I can’t get the file names to align.

if I didn’t shoot off any other snaps (which I’m really not entirely sure of, but I don’t generally delete stuff so I want to say I didn’t) - any chance the original reading of 2 shots was wrong?

reason for investigating is I’m annoyingly pedantic and Sony a7iii’s don’t come factory sealed in Australia anymore so i wanted to see if it had been used before. Thanks for humouring me!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ed Constable Regular Member • Posts: 174
Re: Can a shutter count be incorrect?

Are you using Live View? If so, the shutter count can increase more than the number of images you shoot.

But it is probably not worrying about. Just check that you have put bracketing on

Ed

Ed Constable's gear list:Ed Constable's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +5 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,487

Ed Constable wrote:

Are you using Live View? If so, the shutter count can increase more than the number of images you shoot.

But it is probably not worrying about. Just check that you have put bracketing on

Ed

What "Live View" are you talking about? There's no such thing for mirrorless cameras.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +16 more

Firmware update may have forced a hot pixel remap, which requires firing the shutter.

Or bracketing. Or HDR. Or twilight mode / MFNR.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +16 more
RealCereal Contributing Member • Posts: 528

dressedlikerappers wrote:

hey, a bit of a weird/pointless and dumb question but basically I just got a new a7iii, fired off a shot, checked the shot, shutter count was on two websites said it was at 2, all good - I shot it as a fine jpg - i don’t remember taking any more shots after that

I updated my camera to get the new firmware and took another photo and the shutter count was now at 5? - different sd card, shot in extra fine + raw.

because i shot it on two different SD cards I can’t get the file names to align.

if I didn’t shoot off any other snaps (which I’m really not entirely sure of, but I don’t generally delete stuff so I want to say I didn’t) - any chance the original reading of 2 shots was wrong?

reason for investigating is I’m annoyingly pedantic and Sony a7iii’s don’t come factory sealed in Australia anymore so i wanted to see if it had been used before. Thanks for humouring me!

the A7III has an estimated ~200K shutter life. Unless you are shooting timelapses all day I don't think you'll hit that before a new camera body comes out

RealCereal's gear list:RealCereal's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Guito55 Forum Member • Posts: 70

What program are you using to get the shutter count?

OP dressedlikerappers Junior Member • Posts: 30

SQLGuy wrote:

Firmware update may have forced a hot pixel remap, which requires firing the shutter.

Or bracketing. Or HDR. Or twilight mode / MFNR.

that’s not a bad thought. do you think it’s possible that the original shutter count was wrong or is that not a thing and it’s more likely it’s this/that I took two other photos, deleted em, and forgot.

I used a couple of the weblink ones that first come up on google

a7sastro Contributing Member • Posts: 779

FWIW,

one can verify this with simple self experimenting.

The "Silent Shutter" setting where there is no mechanical shutter activation can also add to the count, but not linearly. I believer once every camera power-on or something. No real care on the specifics since it can easily be determined by experiment. I've mentioned it before once on here with specifics.

a7sastro's gear list:a7sastro's gear list
Sony a7S Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +9 more

a7sastro wrote:

FWIW,

The "Silent Shutter" setting where there is no mechanical shutter activation can also add to the count, but not linearly. I believer once every camera power-on or something. No real care on the specifics since it can easily be determined by experiment. I've mentioned it before once on here with specifics.

interesting - but I hadn’t changed it to silent shutter at all?

just out of curiosity is there anyway to tell if an image was shot with DRO on - i’m guessing because I just snapped off a shot immediately after putting the battery in, it was all on the settings the camera had set from start up so the DRO could possibly have been on - would that be in the meta data or on the camera at all?

XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

a7sastro wrote:

FWIW,

Images taken with silent shutter do not add to the shutter count. I've tested this.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Senior Member • Posts: 2,945

I would say your body was factory fresh. Nothing to worry about there.

The camera looks like it came with one actuation which was probably a test fire in the factory. Your first shutter click made the two.

As already mentioned either the update or simply power cycling might well have triggered the hot pixel mapping function which happens periodically.  Or if you hit the shutter with the lens cap on, or it was simply dark, the camera would take a dark frame for noise reduction resulting in two actuations per shot.

The image ID recorded doesn’t necessarily correspond to the shutter actuations.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) +3 more

Paul Barnard wrote:

The camera looks like it came with one actuation which was probably a test fire in the factory. Your first shutter click made the two.

As already mentioned either the update or simply power cycling might well have triggered the hot pixel mapping function which happens periodically. Or if you hit the shutter with the lens cap on, or it was simply dark, the camera would take a dark frame for noise reduction resulting in two actuations per shot.

starting to come to that conclusion - I know it’s very pedantic but I’m quite (medically diagnosed) ocd about my things haha it’s frustrating as hell but I’m also just curious as to why.

yeah for sure they a7iii’s should all have 1 test shot just can’t figure out how it got from 2 to 5, but for the sake of scratching my head I’m gonna have to assume it was during the update or I took a photo or two by mistake and deleted them and don’t remember. if I took one with the cap on would it actually save it as an image?

I checked this data as actuation counts not image ID

Paul Barnard wrote:

As already mentioned either the update or simply power cycling might well have triggered the hot pixel mapping function which happens periodically. Or if you hit the shutter with the lens cap on, or it was simply dark, the camera would take a dark frame for noise reduction resulting in two actuations per shot.

starting to come to that conclusion - I know it’s very pedantic but I’m quite (medically diagnosed) ocd about my things haha it’s frustrating as hell but I’m also just curious as to why.

yeah for sure they a7iii’s should all have 1 test shot just can’t figure out how it got from 2 to 5, but for the sake of scratching my head I’m gonna have to assume it was during the update or I took a photo or two by mistake and deleted them and don’t remember. if I took one with the cap on would it actually save it as an image?

Yes, a dark frame taken with the lens cap on would save a shot.

Not sure whether a custom white balance shot would fire the shutter or not... that might be another possibility.

Also not sure whether EFCS off counts as two actuations per frame... it should, but not sure if it does.

I think you should check your actuation count now; ensure that all multi-frame features are disabled, and that EFCS is on; take five more shots; and verify that that increments the actuation count by 5.

-- hide signature --

SQLGuy wrote:

Paul Barnard wrote:

yeah for sure they a7iii’s should all have 1 test shot just can’t figure out how it got from 2 to 5, but for the sake of scratching my head I’m gonna have to assume it was during the update or I took a photo or two by mistake and deleted them and don’t remember. if I took one with the cap on would it actually save it as an image?

Yes, a dark frame taken with the lens cap on would save a shot.

Not sure whether a custom white balance shot would fire the shutter or not... that might be another possibility.

Also not sure whether EFCS off counts as two actuations per frame... it should, but not sure if it does.

I think you should check your actuation count now; ensure that all multi-frame features are disabled, and that EFCS is on; take five more shots; and verify that that increments the actuation count by 5.

Sony support suggested that when the camera turns off it occasionally fires the shutter and that counts towards the shutter count? Not sure if he was clutching at straws but that could be right.

I put in a new battery, took the shot, turned it off, charged the battery - put it in - did the firmware - turned it off and then on and then took another shot.

Thanks SQL, I didn’t know that. I kind of assumed that Sony knew what they were talking about.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1710/v1/en/contents/TP0001629730.html

Clearly I was wrong. Will you inform Sony?

Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +5 more

Ed Constable wrote:

Thanks SQL, I didn’t know that. I kind of assumed that Sony knew what they were talking about.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1710/v1/en/contents/TP0001629730.html

Clearly I was wrong. Will you inform Sony?

Yes, you are still wrong, so I will inform you, not Sony. Read the link you actually shared.

A) Does it say anything about shutter actuations? No, it does not.

B) The setting controls whether the display in the EVF and LCD attempts to estimate the resultant shot's exposure. It is not whether or not Live View is "used". There is no other choice in a Mirrorless. You always get what is called Live View in a DSLR because both the viewfinder and the LCD are fed from the sensor.

-- hide signature --

SQL My comment came over far more sarky than intended. It was more an old complaint that Sony uses a vocabulary of its own that does not mesh with other usage and is very often not intuitive.

But I still have a vague memory that there is something a bit odd about it ... but I really can't remember what. I definitely had a doubled count at one stage (but it might have been bracketing). Maybe it was something from when I was playing around with different curtain timings with strobes.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,469
RAW + JPEG

I believe it’s an “image” count, not shutter. It’s not perfect but good estimates. So Raw+JPEG will add two frames. 2-5 is weird unless you were playing with things though.

-- hide signature --

MattParvin.com
It’s a lot easier to post a photo than it is to write 1,000 words...
“I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept” ~ AA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads