Cool

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne
OP Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,996
Re: Alstroemeria

Jerry045 wrote:

Here's a little focus stacking.

C&C's always welcome.

The stacking worked well, Jerry

I do notice maybe some levels adjustment and sharpening would really make it pop?

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne
Re: Oak processionary nest

Dak on cam wrote:

One nest of two. About 3m from my bedroom window. *Censored*

Zoomed in a little too much I think?????

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne
Re: detour to Skye

Very nice shot colors and all

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne
Re: Today's "Weird Thing on My Commute" is...

Yes, kinda weird but colorful

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne
Re: Sinking City

Interesting composition

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,980
Re: New ride and new rider

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,525

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Depends on just what one wants to see.  At the top of the photograph you can see individuals crawling about, at a larger scale that's harder to see.  Let me run outside for a moment: the light is still good enough for a non-flash photograph.

Well, almost.  Best of three hand-helds showing the two nests left and right of the oak (and my bathroom window).

Here is a closeup shot of the upper part of the right nest (had to use the flash after all):

And here is a crop of that:

And I think now I have a few more pustules.

The landlord said he'll take care of them but he is not one of the fastest and I fear that they may terminally leave the nest for pupating (they leave it in processions some time in the night for feeding frenzies in their current stage but return), ruining the best opportunity for extermination.  Those guys are bad news for anybody with skin and/or lungs.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,788

Bill Borne wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

C&C's always welcome.

I do notice maybe some levels adjustment and sharpening would really make it pop?

Thanks Bill. I tweaked it a touch.  Any better?

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
Bill Borne

Jerry045 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

C&C's always welcome.

Thanks Bill. I tweaked it a touch. Any better?

Yes Sir that did it...

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Depends on just what one wants to see. At the top of the photograph you can see individuals crawling about, at a larger scale that's harder to see. Let me run outside for a moment: the light is still good enough for a non-flash photograph.

Well, almost. Best of three hand-helds showing the two nests left and right of the oak (and my bathroom window).

Here is a closeup shot of the upper part of the right nest (had to use the flash after all):

The landlord said he'll take care of them but he is not one of the fastest and I fear that they may terminally leave the nest for pupating (they leave it in processions some time in the night for feeding frenzies in their current stage but return), ruining the best opportunity for extermination. Those guys are bad news for anybody with skin and/or lungs.

Thanks for that. I wanted to see some kind of context of the nest. Now are they some kind of spider???????

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Dak on cam

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Depends on just what one wants to see. At the top of the photograph you can see individuals crawling about, at a larger scale that's harder to see. Let me run outside for a moment: the light is still good enough for a non-flash photograph.

Well, almost. Best of three hand-helds showing the two nests left and right of the oak (and my bathroom window).

The landlord said he'll take care of them but he is not one of the fastest and I fear that they may terminally leave the nest for pupating (they leave it in processions some time in the night for feeding frenzies in their current stage but return), ruining the best opportunity for extermination. Those guys are bad news for anybody with skin and/or lungs.

Thanks for that. I wanted to see some kind of context of the nest. Now are they some kind of spider???????

No, they are caterpillars of a night moth.  They are a poisonous pest eating mainly oak leaves.  Their very fine hairs break off easily and are carried by the wind, making contact with skin and lungs where they tend to bury.  They are stinging and with a contact poison causing allergy-like reactions (you can become allergic proper to them but the reactions similar to insect bites are universal) ranging from flea-bite like annoyance to hospitalisation.  During the day, they sit in nests consisting of webbing and molted skins.  At night, they crawl in processions (two rows or four rows, depending on kind) to the branches and eat the leaves.  Those nests are bad news even after all the larvae have left and pupated because they are full of the poisonous hairs and skins.

They've been on the increase in Northern Europe in the last few years: at the moment, it's typical to read every few days about some school or kindergarten in some neighboring town to close down for a day while the exterminators remove nests from their premises or vicinity.  In a few weeks they will scatter and pupate, so one has to act timely to fight them effectively.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Bill Borne

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

No, they are caterpillars of a night moth. They are a poisonous pest eating mainly oak leaves. Their very fine hairs break off easily and are carried by the wind, making contact with skin and lungs where they tend to bury. They are stinging and with a contact poison causing allergy-like reactions (you can become allergic proper to them but the reactions similar to insect bites are universal) ranging from flea-bite like annoyance to hospitalisation. During the day, they sit in nests consisting of webbing and molted skins. At night, they crawl in processions (two rows or four rows, depending on kind) to the branches and eat the leaves. Those nests are bad news even after all the larvae have left and pupated because they are full of the poisonous hairs and skins.

They've been on the increase in Northern Europe in the last few years: at the moment, it's typical to read every few days about some school or kindergarten in some neighboring town to close down for a day while the exterminators remove nests from their premises or vicinity. In a few weeks they will scatter and pupate, so one has to act timely to fight them effectively.

I would light them up with some lighter fluid?

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Dak on cam

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

No, they are caterpillars of a night moth. They are a poisonous pest eating mainly oak leaves. Their very fine hairs break off easily and are carried by the wind, making contact with skin and lungs where they tend to bury. They are stinging and with a contact poison causing allergy-like reactions (you can become allergic proper to them but the reactions similar to insect bites are universal) ranging from flea-bite like annoyance to hospitalisation. During the day, they sit in nests consisting of webbing and molted skins. At night, they crawl in processions (two rows or four rows, depending on kind) to the branches and eat the leaves. Those nests are bad news even after all the larvae have left and pupated because they are full of the poisonous hairs and skins.

They've been on the increase in Northern Europe in the last few years: at the moment, it's typical to read every few days about some school or kindergarten in some neighboring town to close down for a day while the exterminators remove nests from their premises or vicinity. In a few weeks they will scatter and pupate, so one has to act timely to fight them effectively.

I would light them up with some lighter fluid?

You watch too many action movies.  Lighting them up is probably the best way to have as many poison hairs freed and distributed over the premises that one can think of.  Not to mention that torching a partially defoliated oak immediately in front of a house built with wooden beams and light loam fillings may not be the smartest course of action.  A few months ago we had someone in the newspaper who thought torching a wasps' nest was a splendid idea and ended up one house short.

No, the usual remedy used by the professionals is to work with one-time suits and breath masks, cover the nests in something akin to hair spray to minimize contamination and suck them off using special industrial vacuums.  I've also heard of enclosing them in construction foam.  Either way, you end up with some pretty bad waste.

lomoapontaechuta Regular Member • Posts: 270

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

No. they are caterpillars, very toxic ones. In My country they are called pine tree caterpillars or simple Processionary.

they can kill a pine tree in no time but they can be found in others resinous trees

stay away from them, don't try to get rid of them, don't burn them, don't squash them.

they've got those little hairs that can cause tissue necrosis in short period, those hairs can be carried by the wind and can cause severe skin irritation if it lands on skin.

It's a nightmare for dog owners like me because it can lead to very expensive vet bills and if the dog survives (sometimes not) they end up with half of the tongue or blind or both.

But can be equally dangerous for humans.

I hate those things.

lomoapontaechuta's gear list:lomoapontaechuta's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V

Dak on cam wrote:

If I was you I would stay away from it.

call someone who can dispose them safely. ASAP.

Don't try to get rid of them yourself.

they can cause tissue necrosis, blindness or skin problems.

they are extremely toxic

Dak on cam

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

No. they are caterpillars, very toxic ones. In My country they are called pine tree caterpillars or simple Processionary.

The pine tree ones are related but not the same species.  Pretty much the same kind of plague, though, and there are even crossovers to the less favorite tree.

they can kill a pine tree in no time but they can be found in others resinous trees

stay away from them, don't try to get rid of them, don't burn them, don't squash them.

they've got those little hairs that can cause tissue necrosis in short period, those hairs can be carried by the wind and can cause severe skin irritation if it lands on skin.

It's a nightmare for dog owners like me because it can lead to very expensive vet bills and if the dog survives (sometimes not) they end up with half of the tongue or blind or both.

But can be equally dangerous for humans.

I hate those things.

I hope our cats are smart enough to stay away until they have been taken care of.

Dak on cam

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

If I was you I would stay away from it.

call someone who can dispose them safely. ASAP.

Don't try to get rid of them yourself.

they can cause tissue necrosis, blindness or skin problems.

So far, skin problems ("flea bites" just by sharing somewhat related air space).  The people in the house and some horse riders.

they are extremely toxic

I know.  That was what the *Censored* was about.  We had a family with child plan to visit tomorrow but they postponed since not allowing the kid outside takes the fun out of a visit in the country.

Dak on cam wrote:

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

The pine tree ones are related but not the same species. Pretty much the same kind of plague, though, and there are even crossovers to the less favorite tree.

they can kill a pine tree in no time but they can be found in others resinous trees

I hate those things.

I hope our cats are smart enough to stay away until they have been taken care of.

that's the problem, they are very curious and they could bite the caterpillar or touch it.

if that happens you have to be very quick because you are against the clock once that happens. Wash the affected zone with plenty of water  mouth or/ and eyes. and go to the nearest vet.ASAP.

Often, the treatment is the same, the vet end up cutting off the affected zone, with the eyes nothing can be done to safe them, as far as I know.

If you have kids, be careful.

And you be careful, with yourself. You seem aware of the danger, just don't be too bold.

I don't know if it's the same species or other species but what I put in bold ticked all the boxes.

Dak on cam

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

The pine tree ones are related but not the same species. Pretty much the same kind of plague, though, and there are even crossovers to the less favorite tree.

I hate those things.

that's the problem, they are very curious and they could bite the caterpillar or touch it.

if that happens you have to be very quick because you are against the clock once that happens. Wash the affected zone with plenty of water mouth or/ and eyes. and go to the nearest vet.ASAP.

Often, the treatment is the same, the vet end up cutting off the affected zone, with the eyes nothing can be done to safe them, as far as I know.

If you have kids, be careful.

And you be careful, with yourself. You seem aware of the danger, just don't be too bold.

Probably more of a danger with our landlord.

I don't know if it's the same species or other species but what I put in bold ticked all the boxes.

Different species, same family (or whatever it is called).  Double or quadruple file processions instead of single file, quite larger nests, different target trees, different geographic spread, same problem.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads