***6/16/2019-6/23/2019 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,503
Re: This is what happens when you . . .

Dirkvd001 wrote:

[...]

Rivierenhof, Antwerp, Belgium

Shot with the Sony RX10IV, different locations. PP with Lightroom.

Pointers, kudos or remarks are welcome

Here is a crop from the above:

At the danger of sounding like an ass (not unusual for me), I have the feeling that less aggressive noise reduction would make the image useful at more resolutions. If you view the image at reduced pixel count, the noise averages out anyway. And if you view at high pixel counts, what noise reduction does to patterned stuff like rippling water or grass stalks in meadows kills perspective since the detail frequency's increase at higher distance gets pasteled over.

Here is an image where I got noise from shadow lifting and general exposure adjustment and some contrast enhancements and tried to balance out the various enhancements until the out-of-focus areas in the foreground and the shadows like below the bridge to the right did not appear overly noisy while the fine detail on water and grass when vanishing into the distance did not suffer.

I think this works reasonably for pixel peepers

Of course, working from ISO160 and humongous pixels (10MP at crop factor 5/3) even in old technology (a Sony DSC-R1) is a better starting position for that particular aspect.

At any rate, I try to keep enhancements (sharpening, exposure corrections, contrast and microcontrast adjustments, shadow lifting) moderate enough that most uniform areas are not significantly affected by noise and when I find that some stuff—often the sections gliding out of focus—is too noisy even when trying to be moderate with other corrections, I try prodding up noise reduction very carefully until the perceived problem is not gone but lost most of its distractive value.

This is the basic strategy I also follow when working with my Panasonic DMC-FZ200, even though compromise-finding on this 1/2.3" 12MP camera is much more challenging because of its inherently higher noise level and quite finer pixel pitch. My results there tend to be quite noisier and less well-defined but still not with this kind of watercolor effect I find distracting.

Newer cameras may require less work for getting good results, but I am not convinced that some of the typical choices taken in noise reduction make the best of the large pixel numbers they sport.

All the best

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Evenstar606
Evenstar606 Senior Member • Posts: 2,849
Re: ***6/16/2019-6/23/2019 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Rudi P wrote:

Nice weather in Belgium today.

Sony rx100v

Thanks for looking

Rudi

Park van Tervuren, Belgium

I love the reflections on the water, so clear!

-- hide signature --

Courtney

Evenstar606's gear list:Evenstar606's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Apple iPhone X
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,377

Both from the Classic Car Show at Oakbrook Illinois today.

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 +1 more
Bill Borne
OP Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,969
Re: I thought this was kinda weird

Evenstar606 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

A while ago I bought these tinkerbell fairies on an auction for my granddaughter. . Came from China. Well I gave them to her the other day and my daughter tells me...They are all "Bare-Butts". I never noticed. But do think it's kind of weird?

Ellie & Melissa (Pregnant again)

That is weird! Tinker bell I’d say your skirt is a bit too short 🤣😂 Ellie is adorable, and congrats on the upcoming new Grandbaby!

Thanks, Courtney

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne
Re: Pelican & a Heron

Nice shots all. It seems to work pretty good?

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne

Nice.

Car shows are always Fun...

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

DeGijon Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Pelican & a Heron

Bill Borne wrote:

Nice shots all. It seems to work pretty good?

Bill,

Thanks. Yes, so far so good. The TC seems not to have degraded IQ by much and focussing speed, in good light, is comparable with and without the TC. You RX10 guys do much better, though, especially for critters in flight.

David

DeGijon's gear list:DeGijon's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +9 more
Dirkvd001
Dirkvd001 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: This is what happens when you . . .

At the danger of sounding like an ass (not unusual for me), I have the feeling that less aggressive noise reduction would make the image useful at more resolutions. If you view the image at reduced pixel count, the noise averages out anyway. And if you view at high pixel counts, what noise reduction does to patterned stuff like rippling water or grass stalks in meadows kills perspective since the detail frequency's increase at higher distance gets pasteled over.

At any rate, I try to keep enhancements (sharpening, exposure corrections, contrast and microcontrast adjustments, shadow lifting) moderate enough that most uniform areas are not significantly affected by noise and when I find that some stuff—often the sections gliding out of focus—is too noisy even when trying to be moderate with other corrections, I try prodding up noise reduction very carefully until the perceived problem is not gone but lost most of its distractive value.

This is the basic strategy I also follow when working with my Panasonic DMC-FZ200, even though compromise-finding on this 1/2.3" 12MP camera is much more challenging because of its inherently higher noise level and quite finer pixel pitch. My results there tend to be quite noisier and less well-defined but still not with this kind of watercolor effect I find distracting.

Newer cameras may require less work for getting good results, but I am not convinced that some of the typical choices taken in noise reduction make the best of the large pixel numbers they sport.

All the best

You certainly give a good explanation concerning noise reduction. I tend to move the sliders too much to the right So your point is certainly valid. I will try and see if I get better results on the same picture following your tips.

Thx.

-- hide signature --

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius

Dirkvd001's gear list:Dirkvd001's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Dirkvd001
Dirkvd001 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Another set of images

Taggart Lake, Grand Tetons, Wyoming, USA

Another set from my Gallery.

-- hide signature --

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius

Dirkvd001's gear list:Dirkvd001's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 1,488

Bill Borne wrote:

A while ago I bought these tinkerbell fairies on an auction for my granddaughter. . Came from China. Well I gave them to her the other day and my daughter tells me...They are all "Bare-Butts". I never noticed. But do think it's kind of weird?

Lo

Look up "Tinkerbell Anime" Bill.

You naughty, naughty, boy ;-0.

Bill Borne

Pi lover wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Lo

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

hwvlover
hwvlover Senior Member • Posts: 3,918
W

TF said the squirrel

Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,979
Re: W

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,979
A US Marine to be

My 18 year old granddaughter just graduated from high school and is joining the Marines.  She weighs about 90 pounds.  I know the military is fashionable these days, unlike when I served in the late 1960's, but this is NOT something I would have chosen for her at such a young age when she has so many other opportunities.  Oh well, everybody told me not to enlist in the Army, but I felt I needed to do my duty to my country and go fight in the war.  I didn't listen to anyone either.  What a fool I was!  Hopefully, this will not turn out to be a foolish decision for my granddaughter.

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888

Bill Borne wrote:

Pi lover wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Lo

Thanks

Bill,

I can't stop laughing .  But it s pretty sad when one can't even buy a toy for their grandchild without Mr. Nasty getting involved.

Den

snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
Bill Borne

snappyden wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Pi lover wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Lo

Thanks

Bill,

I can't stop laughing . But it s pretty sad when one can't even buy a toy for their grandchild without Mr. Nasty getting involved.

Den

Yup, I agree 100%

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne

As they say SOOLuck

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne
Re: A US Marine to be

I'm sure she is dedicated to her decision

If it makes her Happy that is what counts!

I used to have women calling up to talk to my daughter and men to talk to my son about enlisting. I straightened them out and they never called back!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Dak on cam

hwvlover wrote:

TF said the squirrel

Regards,
David

This is just an intermediate stage.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Dak on cam

Bill Borne wrote:

snappyden wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Pi lover wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Lo

Thanks

Bill,

I can't stop laughing . But it s pretty sad when one can't even buy a toy for their grandchild without Mr. Nasty getting involved.

Den

Yup, I agree 100%

Well, if you are comparing with the Disney cartoons, not much more than some indescrepit off-white paint appears to be missing from those figurines.  There also is a scene with mermaids that aren't actually wearing clothing and they are fish only waist-down.  It's just that something or other always happens to be in the line of sight of anything but a PG rating.  So how do you even make figurines of this stuff when it's only their specific filmic poses that made them PG?

Frankly, I still wonder what the actual market for those kidney-infection Tinkerbells is supposed to be, but then sometimes my imagination does not prepare me for everything.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads