***6/16/2019-6/23/2019 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,459
***6/16/2019-6/23/2019 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Anything goes in this thread (as long as DPReview's general standards are not violated): any camera; any subject; any post-processing; etc. Recent images you have created in the past week or two are much preferred but not required. A little background on where, how and why you made the image(s) you posted would add interest. By posting here, you are inviting constructive criticism and general discussion of your images. Please share your expertise by providing constructive criticism on photos others have posted.

We look forward to seeing your recent photos and reading everyone's comments.

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne
OP Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,459
I thought this was kinda weird
1

A while ago I bought these tinkerbell fairies on an auction for my granddaughter. . Came from China. Well I gave them to her the other day and my daughter tells me...They are all "Bare-Butts". I never noticed. But do think it's kind of weird?

Ellie & Melissa   (Pregnant again)

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,289
Re: I thought this was kinda weird

Bill Borne wrote:

A while ago I bought these tinkerbell fairies on an auction for my granddaughter. . Came from China. Well I gave them to her the other day and my daughter tells me...They are all "Bare-Butts". I never noticed. But do think it's kind of weird?

Well, maybe a transliteration error and these were actually designed as Tinklewell puppets.

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
abiquiuense Senior Member • Posts: 3,524
This is what happens when you . . .
4

. . . move the camera over to the left as you release the shutter.  

That's my first wink in DPR.

I used an ultra wide angle with a crop factor camera.  Had I used the full frame, I'd have gotten most of it.  Had I used the fisheye, in the back seat, in the strong box, with the other make camera, also a crop factor, I'd have gotten all of it, but, I was mesmerized.

Some of our home stuff is mesmerizingly spiritual.

Metel

abiquiuense

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,289
Three generations of musical instruments
1

Instruments from 2004, 1820, 1960

Not really consecutive generations, though.  Next Saturday I am actually going to crank out Mendelssohn's wedding march (the usual one from his "Midsummer's Night dream", composed in 1842) on the 1960 instrument rather than the more contemporary violin.

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Bill Borne
OP Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,459
Re: I thought this was kinda weird

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

A while ago I bought these tinkerbell fairies on an auction for my granddaughter. . Came from China. Well I gave them to her the other day and my daughter tells me...They are all "Bare-Butts". I never noticed. But do think it's kind of weird?

Well, maybe a transliteration error and these were actually designed as Tinklewell puppets.

Maybe?

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne
OP Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,459
Re: This is what happens when you . . .

Interesting Shots, David

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne
OP Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,459
Re: Three generations of musical instruments

Dak on cam wrote:

Instruments from 2004, 1820, 1960

Not really consecutive generations, though. Next Saturday I am actually going to crank out Mendelssohn's wedding march (the usual one from his "Midsummer's Night dream", composed in 1842) on the 1960 instrument rather than the more contemporary violin.

So is that the 200 year old violin? Looks nice for it's age. Do you play all 3?

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,289
Re: Three generations of musical instruments

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Instruments from 2004, 1820, 1960

Not really consecutive generations, though. Next Saturday I am actually going to crank out Mendelssohn's wedding march (the usual one from his "Midsummer's Night dream", composed in 1842) on the 1960 instrument rather than the more contemporary violin.

So is that the 200 year old violin?

Just 199 years as of now.

Looks nice for it's age.

That's a bit misleading since old instruments in play have been maintained in play.  The myth of an attic Stradivarius is not much more than a myth since the instrument's qualities deteriorate rapidly in that kind of storage condition.  So a violin that does not "look nice for its age" is usually one you are best off hanging on the wall.

An orchestra colleague has an accordion; things are different there.  He is a learnt organ builder and repaired the instrument himself after it suffered from some water damage in the room it was sitting, but did not bother with its outside.  As a result, it looks like trash but has a wonderful tone.  You cannot really have the same discrepancy with a violin because everything you see is part of the sound production.

Do you play all 3?

Regarding my lifetime playing hours, the violin certainly has seen the most.  The acoustic accordion is not to be sneezed at in that regard either, being my current go-to instrument, the electronic one is mostly for entering notes into a computer and very occasionally for silent practice.  I'd have to put in some serious practice time to get back up to a good standard on the violin, though.  I've lent it out to my mother for a few years (originally my father's, it was at some point of time declared mine because I played most on it and paid for expensive repairs) but she gave it back about a year ago since her eye sight precludes her from further ensemble play.

So all instruments would likely testify to recognizing me as one of the owners and players in their history, but the acoustic accordion is currently the one I actually play seriously.

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Rudi P Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: ***6/16/2019-6/23/2019 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***
2

Nice weather in Belgium today.

Sony rx100v

Thanks for looking

Rudi

Park van Tervuren, Belgium

Rudi P Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: This is what happens when you . . .
3

Very nice double rainbow shot! Also Alexander's band, that is the dark area of the sky between the primary and secondary rainbow where less light is been refracted in the water droplets that form the rainbow, is clearly visible.

Rudi

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,289
Re: This is what happens when you . . .

Rudi P wrote:

Very nice double rainbow shot! Also Alexander's band, that is the dark area of the sky between the primary and secondary rainbow where less light is been refracted in the water droplets that form the rainbow, is clearly visible.

Rudi

Ah that's what it is.  I feared that using a polarizer was ruining my photographs.  But then the view from our front door fails to meet scenic standards anyway.

Someone's home near a power plant

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Bill Borne
OP Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,459
Re: ***6/16/2019-6/23/2019 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Thanks for sharing a nice photo of Belgium!

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
DeGijon Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: This is what happens when you . . .

Not to be confused with Alexander's Ragtime Band.

 DeGijon's gear list:DeGijon's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +9 more
DeGijon Regular Member • Posts: 383
Pelican & a Heron

Was trying out a new (used) Kenko TC yesterday. Some with and one without it. I am a beginner when it comes to BIF but was reasonably happy with some of them.

 DeGijon's gear list:DeGijon's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +9 more
DeGijon Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: This is what happens when you . . .

Beautiful rainbows. It's rare to see the second one so intense.  Sometimes, apparently, you can see a third bow but you have to look back towards the sun. I have never seen ione but given the unusual intensity of the 2nd bow maybe you did?

 DeGijon's gear list:DeGijon's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +9 more
Dirkvd001
Dirkvd001 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: This is what happens when you . . .

Grand Tetons, Wyoming, USA

Yellowstone NP, Wyoming, USA

Many Glaciers, Glacier National Park, USA

Rivierenhof, Antwerp, Belgium

Shot with the Sony RX10IV, different locations. PP with Lightroom.

Pointers, kudos or remarks are welcome

-- hide signature --

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius

 Dirkvd001's gear list:Dirkvd001's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,738
RX10IV- Red winged blackbirds

Out looking for bald eagles near the river, came across other birds.

F

M

Evenstar606
Evenstar606 Senior Member • Posts: 2,736
Re: I thought this was kinda weird

Bill Borne wrote:

A while ago I bought these tinkerbell fairies on an auction for my granddaughter. . Came from China. Well I gave them to her the other day and my daughter tells me...They are all "Bare-Butts". I never noticed. But do think it's kind of weird?

Ellie & Melissa (Pregnant again)

That is weird! Tinker bell I’d say your skirt is a bit too short 🤣😂 Ellie is adorable, and congrats on the upcoming new Grandbaby!

-- hide signature --

Courtney

 Evenstar606's gear list:Evenstar606's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Apple iPhone X
Evenstar606
Evenstar606 Senior Member • Posts: 2,736
Re: This is what happens when you . . .

abiquiuense wrote:

. . . move the camera over to the left as you release the shutter.

That's my first wink in DPR.

I used an ultra wide angle with a crop factor camera. Had I used the full frame, I'd have gotten most of it. Had I used the fisheye, in the back seat, in the strong box, with the other make camera, also a crop factor, I'd have gotten all of it, but, I was mesmerized.

Some of our home stuff is mesmerizingly spiritual.

Metel

abiquiuense

A double rainbow! 😍 It’s beautiful.

-- hide signature --

Courtney

 Evenstar606's gear list:Evenstar606's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Apple iPhone X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads