Started 3 months ago | Discussions
NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Re: Everyone Using MFT

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens. In talking with him it seemed the reason he hadn't shifted to MFT was he didn't think he could master the controls. At every photo stop we had to wait for him to remove his tripod and set it up. I felt sorry for him, watching him struggle. I guess I should also mention he was 84 years old. Good photographer also.

The ancient 35mm film format itself seems 85 years old. Can it really last forever in to the digital age and is there any real reason for it to?

It would not surprise me if the next but one Olympics will be >8K video on m43 with the odd eccentric stalwart lugging old full frame still stuff around.

i would be very surprised if there weren't some Dslrs at those Olympics despite no doubt companies releasing higher end mirrorless cameras

But how many full frame mirrorless cameras is the question?

I can well imagine a sizeable bunch of people sniggering in public about the E-M1X then sneaking out and buying one whilst no-one is looking.

we have no idea what the mix will be, but until companies start delivering something that is better than their Dslrs for pro sports shooting, those guys won't change....why would they?

Looking at the current camera market is a good spectator sport at the moment though tending to towards the the horror genre especially as no-one knows if there is a happy ending and that depends on who if anyone wins from one's own particular perspective.

Plenty of different mounts but a declining number of interested customers to service them. People say ILC numbers will just go back to what they were before or at the start of digital but all this firmware now in lenses and bodies needs a lot expensive care and maintenance if lenses are not to become prematurely obsolete.

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 24,563

NextShowForSure wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens. In talking with him it seemed the reason he hadn't shifted to MFT was he didn't think he could master the controls. At every photo stop we had to wait for him to remove his tripod and set it up. I felt sorry for him, watching him struggle. I guess I should also mention he was 84 years old. Good photographer also.

The ancient 35mm film format itself seems 85 years old. Can it really last forever in to the digital age and is there any real reason for it to?

It would not surprise me if the next but one Olympics will be >8K video on m43 with the odd eccentric stalwart lugging old full frame still stuff around.

i would be very surprised if there weren't some Dslrs at those Olympics despite no doubt companies releasing higher end mirrorless cameras

I can well imagine a sizeable bunch of people sniggering in public about the E-M1X then sneaking out and buying one whilst no-one is looking.

we have no idea what the mix will be, but until companies start delivering something that is better than their Dslrs for pro sports shooting, those guys won't change....why would they?

Looking at the current camera market is a good spectator sport at the moment though tending to towards the the horror genre especially as no-one knows if there is a happy ending and that depends on who if anyone wins from one's own particular perspective.

Plenty of different mounts but a declining number of interested customers to service them. People say ILC numbers will just go back to what they were before or at the start of digital but all this firmware now in lenses and bodies needs a lot expensive care and maintenance if lenses are not to become prematurely obsolete.

the market can only continue if people keep buying, making new products and making older stuff less or non compatible is a way of getting sales on things like lenses you might not get otherwise.

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
cameron2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482

NextShowForSure wrote:

Almost all mirrorless cameras are full frame cameras. All of the Oly cameras are full frame.

There are a tiny number of exceptions, mainly from Panasonic in the video-focused market.

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Hasselblad X1D
Laybourne
Laybourne Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: Well

NCV wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

With 4% market share, they have got a lot of work do persuading all those dullards with their antiquated DSLR's to embrace the EM1 X as the modern way forward.

"Dullards with their antiquated DSLRs"? Aren't you the one with a D700 in his gear list?

-- hide signature --

Fear is the darkroom where the Devil develops his negatives.

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,999
I guess you feel justified now...n/t
-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,695

NCV wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

With 4% market share, they have got a lot of work do persuading all those dullards with their antiquated DSLR's to embrace the EM1 X as the modern way forward.

Maybe some of us dullards can't afford cameras like the EM1X that cost 10 weeks worth of our rent.

The privilege expressed by some of the one percenters on this forum does my head in.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 5,545

Quite right, NDR.

Some of us are fortunate enough to be able to afford these things easily. However, I remember struggling to buy my OM-1 kit in the early 1970s. It was around 5-10 weeks of my salary at the time ...

Funny how struggling to afford things early in life makes for careful and parsimonious spending habits. Stands one in good stead now we are in our 70s!

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +28 more
windsprite
windsprite Senior Member • Posts: 2,684

Laybourne wrote:

NCV wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

"Dullards with their antiquated DSLRs"? Aren't you the one with a D700 in his gear list?

I'm pretty sure NCV's post and the word "dullards" was meant sarcastically.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +45 more
John Mason
John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 5,933

New Day Rising wrote:

NCV wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Maybe some of us dullards can't afford cameras like the EM1X that cost 10 weeks worth of our rent.

The privilege expressed by some of the one percenters on this forum does my head in.

Unless the funds were inherited, I doubt the 'privileged' you are referring to think of their years of hard work that way.

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Battle Ground, Indiana USA

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +14 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,695

John Mason wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

NCV wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Unless the funds were inherited, I doubt the 'privileged' you are referring to think of their years of hard work that way.

Not the point. The issue mainly came out of another thread and argument that The EM1X is not niche because anyone can just go out and buy one.

The simple truth is that if you can go out and buy an expensive luxury item you are privileged compared with a very large proportion of people on this planet. Whether you earned or inherited that money is a separate issue.

I have no doubt you have worked hard to afford your very expensive gear collection. But many people around the world work incredibly hard every single day just to survive. Privilege is a multi-faceted thing and many people who are privileged choose not to recognise it.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads