Everyone Using MFT

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,038
Re: Everyone Using MFT

Raist3d wrote:

mikero wrote:

TOTodd wrote:

I’d really like to hear from any of the 23 people who liked this stupid post exactly why they liked it.

Granted it's not statistically significant, but it is some evidence than the naysayers were wrong.

If it’s not ststisticallynsignificant this is not much of evidence.

MFT is not dead.

The E-M1X is not a complete flop as widely predicted, and is being bought by its target audience. (And in the UK nature photography and eco-tourism is big business.)

you can’t use this as evidence for that precisely because of what you said also some of us said wait 6-12 months and see if it’s a flop or not

Apart from anything, it's a misrepresentation of what the 'naysayers' were saying. I don't think anyone proposed that the EMIX would fail to sell at all.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

John Mason
John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 5,931
Re: Apparently not

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Somewhat surprising. Roughly how many EM1Xs are we talking about when you say "everyone" but the one Panasonic and one Nikon?

It was organised by the Olympus Pro Gear Fan Club.

Apparently not:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62788797

Just a random event, then.

apparently the gentlemen did a post about the trip, he noted how many on the trip used bodies not much smaller than his but had a sensor 4 x smaller...he thought it quaint.

Obviously made up and tongue in cheek, but i wonder how a thread such as that would be received here

Probably with the sarcastic responses all posts that equate camera body size with system size deserve.  Of course, I wouldn't do that

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Battle Ground, Indiana USA

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +14 more
bobn2

John Mason wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Somewhat surprising. Roughly how many EM1Xs are we talking about when you say "everyone" but the one Panasonic and one Nikon?

Apparently not:

apparently the gentlemen did a post about the trip, he noted how many on the trip used bodies not much smaller than his but had a sensor 4 x smaller...he thought it quaint.

Obviously made up and tongue in cheek, but i wonder how a thread such as that would be received here

Probably with the sarcastic responses all posts that equate camera body size with system size deserve. Of course, I wouldn't do that

Of course not

from: https://photopixreview.com/nikon-50mm-f1-8-ai-s-pancake-lens-review/

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

John Mason

bobn2 wrote:

John Mason wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Apparently not:

Probably with the sarcastic responses all posts that equate camera body size with system size deserve. Of course, I wouldn't do that

Of course not

Good one!
(by system size I'm referring to the whole kit likely to be brought on such an expedition as the OP was on   )
It is annoying how big stuff has gotten compared to film days.  But lens purpose to lens purposes, those haven't changed that much over time.

-- hide signature --

Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +14 more
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 5,005

John Mason wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

John Mason wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Apparently not:

Of course not

Good one!
(by system size I'm referring to the whole kit likely to be brought on such an expedition as the OP was on )
It is annoying how big stuff has gotten compared to film days. But lens purpose to lens purposes, those haven't changed that much over time.

I agree the lens designers have went down the performance road ignoring the size consequences . Some of the Sigma art lenses whilst great are humongous .Their admittedly excellent 40mm F/1.4 weighs in at whopping 1200g! . As someone who rarely shoots wide open fast lenses I would love some slower but still high quality alternatives

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +8 more
Crenulum
Crenulum New Member • Posts: 4
Re: I feel alone

Just so I don't have to sit next to them on the bus while they take up 2 seats and jostle everyone else around, I don't care how long they carry around heavy lenses and cameras. If truth be told there's a whole lot of cropping going on with the big camera guys, at least the ones I know.  Few are taking Nat Geo landscape or safari panoramas.

Buy what you yourself need, in my case it was a life-long dream to get a small camera with pro lenses that didn't cost 10k, and didn't weigh so much that they stayed at home.

Now, in my golden years, I get to have a great camera (EM1 11), with 2 pro lenses to get flowers and birds, and another one, 75-300 to carry around town.

agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,143
Saw a guy doing Street Photography with mft camera

-- hide signature --

Couldn't help but make me feel ashamed to live in a land
Where justice is a game. From Bob Dylan's 'Hurricane'

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +19 more
greyghost59 Regular Member • Posts: 487

I was out with the photogroup last night for a nightscape shoot, not a MFT camera insight. Of course there was only about 20 members there but even i had taken my nikon because didnt want to be the odd man out lol.

John Mason

James Stirling wrote:

John Mason wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

John Mason wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Apparently not:

Of course not

Good one!
(by system size I'm referring to the whole kit likely to be brought on such an expedition as the OP was on )
It is annoying how big stuff has gotten compared to film days. But lens purpose to lens purposes, those haven't changed that much over time.

I agree the lens designers have went down the performance road ignoring the size consequences . Some of the Sigma art lenses whilst great are humongous .Their admittedly excellent 40mm F/1.4 weighs in at whopping 1200g! . As someone who rarely shoots wide open fast lenses I would love some slower but still high quality alternatives

Pixel peepers staring at corners requires bigger glass

On the other hand I do love my 34 1.4 GM Sony lens for night shots, but it's quite large in the history of such lenses.  But for stitching panos, I like the sharp corners.

At least in the m4/3 world there are small and large lens choices for the same task and they are pretty good.  The Little Panasonic 20mm f1.7 was one such lens that is great and on the very small size.  A little Pen F with that is a very small kit.

Oops - I've become a thread-hijacker

-- hide signature --

Jazzychu Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Saw a guy doing Street Photography with mft camera

I was tricked into "how does he know?" by zooming in onto that camera........

Well done, MFT shooter!

John Mason
Re: What MFT lenses did the guide use?

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Humansvillian wrote:

An enterprising Alaskan hired out himself and his boat to five pilgrims, from afar.

The guide has a reason to own the latest and best smallest professional camera in the world today.

He’s the professional.

But what lenses, did the guide use?

Same as I had. Olympus 300 F4 and teleconverter and 12-100 and 7-14 Olympus.

Versatile combo!   What case arrangement did you use for that kit?
I'm using a Lowpro Toploader Pro 70 AW II which fits the Waffle shape of the EM1x with the 12-100 perfectly.  It's designed for smaller cameras with a grip.

And for the extra lens options I've got the Think Tank TurnStyle v2.0 which holds the 300, the 7-14, 45 a couple of other choices depending on what I'm doing (60 macro for outdoors or the 17 and/or 45 prime if there is going to be indoor or night shooting).  I wish the 12-100 supported hand held focus stacking, but at least the little 60mm does. (or the 300 I think).  (too much focus breathing on the 12-100?)
Looking forward to more shots from your trip!  And I've saved the dude's link.  Looks like he offers a nice variety of photo-tours.

-- hide signature --

James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 5,005

John Mason wrote:

James Stirling wrote:

John Mason wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

John Mason wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Apparently not:

Of course not

Good one!

Pixel peepers staring at corners requires bigger glass

John, unfortunately the most common ways of viewing images these days on screens, all allow one to zoom in too crazy levels with the flick of a finger. It is a pretty daft way to look at images ,  alas I have been charged & found guilty  of the crime of pixel peeping

On the other hand I do love my 34 1.4 GM Sony lens for night shots, but it's quite large in the history of such lenses. But for stitching panos, I like the sharp corners.

I have been very happy with the 24mm GM I would have been just as happy with an F/2.8 version with the same image quality

At least in the m4/3 world there are small and large lens choices for the same task and they are pretty good. The Little Panasonic 20mm f1.7 was one such lens that is great and on the very small size. A little Pen F with that is a very small kit.

The 20mm with the GF1 was my gateway drug for m43. In Sony land I have been pleasantly surprised with the tiny and cheap Samyang 35mm F/2.8 , on the A7riii it gives a size combo similar to my gx8 with the 20mm.

Oops - I've become a thread-hijacker

Threads tend to meander along multiple paths  

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +8 more
John Mason

agott123 wrote:

Love it!!!

-- hide signature --

Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

Terrific capture.  Well done!!

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
bobn2

John Mason wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

John Mason wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Apparently not:

Of course not

Good one!

There are options. The Nikon user mentioned had the option of the dinky little 300 and 500 PF lenses, or some not too large long zooms.

It is annoying how big stuff has gotten compared to film days.

But lens purpose to lens purposes, those haven't changed that much over time.

They seem to me to have bloated too, with the cult of the ultra-sharp lens.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 765

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens. In talking with him it seemed the reason he hadn't shifted to MFT was he didn't think he could master the controls. At every photo stop we had to wait for him to remove his tripod and set it up. I felt sorry for him, watching him struggle. I guess I should also mention he was 84 years old. Good photographer also.

The ancient 35mm film format itself seems 85 years old. Can it really last forever in to the digital age and is there any real reason for it to?

It would not surprise me if the next but one Olympics will be >8K video on m43 with the odd eccentric stalwart lugging old full frame still stuff around. 

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 24,559

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens. In talking with him it seemed the reason he hadn't shifted to MFT was he didn't think he could master the controls. At every photo stop we had to wait for him to remove his tripod and set it up. I felt sorry for him, watching him struggle. I guess I should also mention he was 84 years old. Good photographer also.

The ancient 35mm film format itself seems 85 years old. Can it really last forever in to the digital age and is there any real reason for it to?

It would not surprise me if the next but one Olympics will be >8K video on m43 with the odd eccentric stalwart lugging old full frame still stuff around.

i would be very surprised if there weren't some Dslrs at those Olympics despite no doubt companies releasing higher end mirrorless cameras

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 9,239
Well

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

With 4% market share, they have got a lot of work do  persuading all those dullards with their antiquated DSLR's to embrace the EM1 X  as the modern way forward.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810
NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 765

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

i would be very surprised if there weren't some Dslrs at those Olympics despite no doubt companies releasing higher end mirrorless cameras

But how many full frame mirrorless cameras is the question?

I can well imagine a sizeable bunch of people sniggering in public about the E-M1X then sneaking out and buying one whilst no-one is looking.

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 24,559

NextShowForSure wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

But how many full frame mirrorless cameras is the question?

I can well imagine a sizeable bunch of people sniggering in public about the E-M1X then sneaking out and buying one whilst no-one is looking.

we have no idea what the mix will be, but until companies start delivering something that is better than their Dslrs for pro sports shooting, those guys won't change....why would they?

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads