Everyone Using MFT

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 9,237
Re: Everyone Using FF is an idiot.

Photo Pete wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens. In talking with him it seemed the reason he hadn't shifted to MFT was he didn't think he could master the controls. At every photo stop we had to wait for him to remove his tripod and set it up. I felt sorry for him, watching him struggle. I guess I should also mention he was 84 years old. Good photographer also.

The only problem with this story is that proper use of a tripod will achieve better sharpness than not using one, no matter what system you shoot.

The choice to shoot handheld rather than on tripod is always driven by convenience. Just imagine if DPReview chose to shoot their resolution test target handheld... there’d be an outcry of protest.

Maybe the Nikon shooter was the only one on the trip who had the resolve to really maximise the quality of his results? Impressive at 84 years old!

Not just sharpness. I have found framing and composition are much better with a camera on a tripod.

It slows you down and you actually tend to look at what you are shooting more carefully.

We can file the original post as one of those "FF shooters are idiots" threads that crop up from time to time here.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,951
Lenses last a long, long time

New Day Rising wrote:

Humansvillian wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Humansvillian wrote:

An enterprising Alaskan hired out himself and his boat to five pilgrims, from afar.

The guide has a reason to own the latest and best smallest professional camera in the world today.

He’s the professional.

But what lenses, did the guide use?

Same as I had. Olympus 300 F4 and teleconverter and 12-100 and 7-14 Olympus.

A great kit. Not one extra lens.

The 300 costs $2,400, the 12-100 is $1,000, the 7-14 is $850, and the tele cost $300.

And my $400 refurb OMD M 5 II would’ve worked fine to hold those lenses, but for three grand you get the best and latest MFT lens holder.

Only $7,500! Truly a kit for the masses

The M1X is going to sell a ton of lenses, is my prediction.

But Oly needs badly a PL-SX1

$299 with kit lens, $399 with zoom, PL1 box.

The PL1 is what started all this.

There is no telling how long a modern MFT digital lens lasts, they haven’t made them but for ten years.

But I own a f2.8 12-40 Pro Oly.  Wonderful lens it is.

New ones are $850 and mine cost half that.

It’s more or less permanently on an OMD M5 II that’s a thousand dollar camera new  but as a refurb was $400 from Roberts.

My first MFT camera body was a PL1 and it’s worth $75 tops.  The lens on it was a 14-42 worth $75 tops today.

I have no plans to take pictures in Nome but if by chance I got invited, I’d run out and spend $2,400 for a f4 300mm Oly and another $300 for an Oly Telecconvertor.

Then once I’d cried over spending nearly three grand for my long, fast lens, I’d be looking for an Oly 7-24.

And once I had three pro lenses, from 7 to 300, I’d just naturally want a better camera body to screw them on.

This is the overwhelming MFT advantage,,,it’s the cheapest AND SMALLEST lens system you can start out with a $75 used camera body, there are $3000 pro bodies and $2,400 pro long lenses to fit.

I can adapt that huge $12,000 Nikon lens to my PL1.

Or I can buy a brand new $2,400 f4 300 Oly to fit my latest and best Oly MFT body I own.

The tobacco companies didn’t get rich until they perfected the cigarette.

The Olympus PL1 was,,,and remains,,,the gateway drug for MFT addiction.

Oly cannot sell enough $299 camera kits.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,955
That's not everyone... but...

Colin Smith1 wrote:

larsbc wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens. In talking with him it seemed the reason he hadn't shifted to MFT was he didn't think he could master the controls. At every photo stop we had to wait for him to remove his tripod and set it up. I felt sorry for him, watching him struggle. I guess I should also mention he was 84 years old. Good photographer also.

So how many people were on the trip? You, the guide, and the old guy?

Was it a mostly wildlife trip? On boats or?

Six.

4 out of 6. Still pretty good if it translates to a lot of trips and other organized groups. You mentioned the guy that "struggled" was a good photographer. I wonder if the others were also good or just people with money to buy the next big thing.

Anyhow, if the EM1X can cover this market, great for Olympus. I still wonder where a smaller camera would have led them still getting the same markets.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Humansvillian
Re: Everyone Using FF is carrying heavier gear

The FF shooter is taking some really fine pictures.

But he’s carrying heavier gear.

His camera body might not weigh more, but his lenses will.

-- hide signature --

Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 972
Re: Everyone Using MFT

TOTodd wrote:

I’d really like to hear from any of the 23 people who liked this stupid post exactly why they liked it.

Granted it's not statistically significant, but it is some evidence than the naysayers were wrong.

MFT is not dead.

The E-M1X is not a complete flop as widely predicted, and is being bought by its target audience. (And in the UK nature photography and eco-tourism is big business.)

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,072

TN Args wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Reluctance to change is quite normal at the age of 84.

I don't blame him..

At least he went digital

He did?

I suppose so...

-- hide signature --

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 10,311

roberthd12 wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Interesting in that I have been shooting Micro 4/3 for nine years and at various locations, media events, weddings, work, etc. I have never, ever seen anyone else shooting Micro 4/3. On several occasions, I have been told by others that they did not know Oly was still making cameras.

It's a completely different story outside the US, I spotted my first other m4/3's user in 2012, I see them occasionally out and about, there's even one in my small camera club. As a Sigma Merrill/Quattro user I've never seen anyone else using a Sigma camera and I don't expect I ever will, apparently they do exist though.

VideoPic
VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,353
Olympus enjoy an informed community enjoying great equipment...nt
-- hide signature --

See my Blog for short articles on the Olympus and Panasonic cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
Some of you really need to get out the box....take a look at the wide open world around you and start think for yourself.... There is NOTHING wrong with having an own opinion or asking questions.......
The herd some so like to please.....have you met the person to your left or right, seen them, meet with them.....?
If I was the marketing manager driving the messaging on a camera brand, I would mess with this herd like behavior/mentality like you can't imagine.......
In some cases nonsensical titles is just that......meant to help those with a hint of intellect  get your head above the herd.......man go get a life!!

VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
VideoPic
VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,353
I think it depends where you are in the world....I recall.....

nzmacro wrote:

Everywhere I go, it's all DSLR and long teles. I'm the only one using an Oly, in fact the only one using mirrorless. I can't see it changing anytime soon to be honest.

All the best Colin.

Danny.

When European manufacturers started designing smaller more optimized and higher performance motor control switchgear at half the size or smaller than the equivalent components found in the US market, the challenge was always to convince those engineers bigger, bulkier and heavier does not always mean better.......

Over here where I live we enjoy almost dedicated Olympus shops as well as other brands. Close to me is a "Olympus" shop with great gear, support plus plus......

Manufacturers should ship all their old DSLR "huge" components over to the US I guess....

Happy satisfied Olympus enthusiast....

-- hide signature --

See my Blog for short articles on the Olympus and Panasonic cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
Some of you really need to get out the box....take a look at the wide open world around you and start think for yourself.... There is NOTHING wrong with having an own opinion or asking questions.......
The herd some so like to please.....have you met the person to your left or right, seen them, meet with them.....?
If I was the marketing manager driving the messaging on a camera brand, I would mess with this herd like behavior/mentality like you can't imagine.......
In some cases nonsensical titles is just that......meant to help those with a hint of intellect  get your head above the herd.......man go get a life!!

VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
MrALLCAPS
MrALLCAPS Contributing Member • Posts: 672

Really? Do you have pictures of this event to share?

MrALLCAPS's gear list:MrALLCAPS's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z6
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,367
Apparently not

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Somewhat surprising. Roughly how many EM1Xs are we talking about when you say "everyone" but the one Panasonic and one Nikon?

It was organised by the Olympus Pro Gear Fan Club.

Apparently not:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62788797

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

left eye
left eye Senior Member • Posts: 1,773
83%

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

larsbc wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

So how many people were on the trip? You, the guide, and the old guy?

Was it a mostly wildlife trip? On boats or?

Six.

So...

1x Nikon dSLR

5x MFT

50% - a pretty good average.

(100/6) *5 =

83%.

left eye's gear list:left eye's gear list
Olympus E-300 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic GH5 +5 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,367
Joe VanOs trips

Colin Smith1 wrote:

rjensen11 wrote:

I assume this wasn't the same trip to Nome: https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/events/2019/workshop-partner-event-birds-and-musk-oxen-of-nome-alaska

Nope, it was a Joe VanOs trip.

For wildlife photographers these Joe VanOs trips look cool:

https://photosafaris.com/

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,935
Questionable spin: "Everyone Using FF is an idiot."

NCV wrote:

We can file the original post as one of those "FF shooters are idiots" threads that crop up from time to time here.

I don't think that is what the OP was saying, nor the thrust of his thread.  His main point was the number of E-M1X shooters.  He did say he felt sorry for the guy lugging around the big heavy gear, but I think that was more an expression of his own preference for MFT over FF gear on this trip.

He later made clear that he's all for everyone choosing their own gear, that he got along fine with the Nikon shooter, and he didn't give him any grief about it (this was in response to a very intemperate post, and it looks like both of those may have been deleted by the mods - at least, I can't find them now).

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
OP Colin Smith1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,052

MrALLCAPS wrote:

Here are a few.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Colin Smith1's gear list:Colin Smith1's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,022
Re: Apparently not

Henry Richardson wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Somewhat surprising. Roughly how many EM1Xs are we talking about when you say "everyone" but the one Panasonic and one Nikon?

Apparently not:

Just a random event, then.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,022
Re: Everyone Using FF is carrying heavier gear

Humansvillian wrote:

The FF shooter is taking some really fine pictures.

But he’s carrying heavier gear.

His camera body might not weigh more, but his lenses will.

That depends on which lenses he's selected and which lenses the mFT shooter you're comparing him with has selected.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 24,540
Re: Apparently not

bobn2 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Apparently not:

Just a random event, then.

apparently the  gentlemen did a post about the trip, he noted how many on the trip used bodies not much smaller than his but had a sensor 4 x smaller...he thought it quaint.

Obviously made up and tongue in cheek, but i wonder how a thread such as that would be received here

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
Humansvillian
More than adequate images

Colin Smith1 wrote:

MrALLCAPS wrote:

Here are a few.

Theoretically a full frame camera can take better images than those.

And a medium format camera even better images.

But those are more, than adequate.

That’s the reason, for MFT.

The guide’s entire kit weighs about half what a full frame camera and one big 600mm Nikon does, and costs half as much.

And it’s better than adequate in daylight.

A 300mm f4 MFT lens takes 600mm F4 FF lens images, is why.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,955

mikero wrote:

TOTodd wrote:

I’d really like to hear from any of the 23 people who liked this stupid post exactly why they liked it.

Granted it's not statistically significant, but it is some evidence than the naysayers were wrong.

If it’s not ststisticallynsignificant this is not much of evidence.

MFT is not dead.

The E-M1X is not a complete flop as widely predicted, and is being bought by its target audience. (And in the UK nature photography and eco-tourism is big business.)

you can’t use this as evidence for that precisely because of what you said  also some of us said wait 6-12 months and see if it’s a flop or not

Mike

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads