Everyone Using MFT

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,267
Re: Everyone Using MFT

I'm surprised to think of someone 84 years old carrying something so large.  I'm 62 and just thinking about it makes my back hurt.

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 968

John Mason wrote:

TOTodd wrote:

So I guess everyone in the world who bought a 1X was on that trip.

I wasn't on that trip

I wasn't on that trip.

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 24,526
Re: I feel alone

nzmacro wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Everywhere I go, it's all DSLR and long teles. I'm the only one using an Oly, in fact the only one using mirrorless. I can't see it changing anytime soon to be honest.

All the best Colin.

Danny.

you must be going deaf from all that incessant clacking

Ha trust you ya plonker

Tell ya what, the 1Dx is actually very quite compared to the Oly with mechanical shutter G. Very smooth sounding clicks rather than clunk. That's with a mirror flapping as well. Large Nikon's are probably the same I would imagine, never noticed Steve's D500 making much of a noise.

All the best G and yes, not many mirrorless around with what we take really. DSLR's rule.

Danny

i've actually seen more than usual m4/3rds stuff this year funnily enough, biggest lens was a 40-150mm though....i soon saw them off with a few blasts from the old clunker, like startled deer they were.

wouldn't mind an X but at the price....nope, then Sony did the dirty, A7III with a 200-600mm not bad combo for the price, then i watched a Jared Polin do a 500mm pf vs 200-500mm both will work on the clunker but i can't change aperture......interesting, then in the bird challenges the Sony Rx100Mk whatever is holding it's own and some guys are doing great shots......terrible times i tell ya

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
rjensen11 Regular Member • Posts: 272
 rjensen11's gear list:rjensen11's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +4 more
Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,069

Lepewhi wrote:

I'm surprised to think of someone 84 years old carrying something so large. I'm 62 and just thinking about it makes my back hurt.

I am constantly reducing the size of my gear.. Started with Em5+grip now Pen-F

-- hide signature --

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,950
MFT is the lightest and smallest professional system
  • Tommi K1 wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens.

That is difficult to believe, unless it was a m4/3 club own trip.

What’s surprising is the one guy with the large gear.

Camera bodies are lens holders.

The smallest professional cameras take MFT lenses.

The smallest pro lenses are MFT.  A 300mm MFT lens replaces a 600mm FF.

Flying thousands of miles to Alaska and hiring a boat and guide to take photographs costs a whole lot of money.

What’s three grand, for such a group that decides that’s how they want to spend their money?

They can stay home, and use FF cameras and lenses.

Alaska is cold and wet and a small professional camera is at a premium.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,319

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

i've actually seen more than usual m4/3rds stuff this year funnily enough, biggest lens was a 40-150mm though....i soon saw them off with a few blasts from the old clunker, like startled deer they were.

wouldn't mind an X but at the price....nope, then Sony did the dirty, A7III with a 200-600mm not bad combo for the price, then i watched a Jared Polin do a 500mm pf vs 200-500mm both will work on the clunker but i can't change aperture......interesting, then in the bird challenges the Sony Rx100Mk whatever is holding it's own and some guys are doing great shots......terrible times i tell ya

Yeah I've seen a few around, but just not for sports or birds is all.

Here in this thread they are talking out of 6 people on a wildlife tour, 5 of them had an Oly E-M1X. So 5 out of 6, what are the odds in that!

Oly would be doing just fine in that case, ahhh yep.

Be a bit like out of 6 on a wildlife photography tour, 5 had a Canon 7D MKII, again, the odds on the Canon would be higher than an Oly E-M1X

I'm also looking at the Sony 200-600, very interesting lens optically and construction wise for $2000 US. Very tempting in the light I shoot in. Options and choices are good G.

Nikon Z6, 500 F/5.6 PF, phew, we have it good these days ....... if you can ever get your mits on it

All the best your way as always G.

Danny.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 Olympus E-M1 II +6 more
Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

Yeah, I gave up my Canon DSLR 5 yrs ago.  Now g6 and gx80.  Maybe later, will find Something smaller, especially for travel.

By the way, sometimes I put wine in food as well;-))

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,069

Lepewhi wrote:

By the way, sometimes I put wine in food as well;-))

But only a small portion of what I drink

-- hide signature --

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
Wu Jiaqiu

nzmacro wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Yeah I've seen a few around, but just not for sports or birds is all.

Here in this thread they are talking out of 6 people on a wildlife tour, 5 of them had an Oly E-M1X. So 5 out of 6, what are the odds in that!

Oly would be doing just fine in that case, ahhh yep.

Be a bit like out of 6 on a wildlife photography tour, 5 had a Canon 7D MKII, again, the odds on the Canon would be higher than an Oly E-M1X

I'm also looking at the Sony 200-600, very interesting lens optically and construction wise for $2000 US. Very tempting in the light I shoot in. Options and choices are good G.

Nikon Z6, 500 F/5.6 PF, phew, we have it good these days ....... if you can ever get your mits on it

All the best your way as always G.

Danny.

i'm playing a waiting game right now or until something breaks, whether that will be mechanical or my will i am not sure

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,005

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Everywhere I go, it's all DSLR and long teles. I'm the only one using an Oly, in fact the only one using mirrorless. I can't see it changing anytime soon to be honest.

All the best Colin.

Danny.

Ha trust you ya plonker

Tell ya what, the 1Dx is actually very quite compared to the Oly with mechanical shutter G. Very smooth sounding clicks rather than clunk. That's with a mirror flapping as well. Large Nikon's are probably the same I would imagine, never noticed Steve's D500 making much of a noise.

All the best G and yes, not many mirrorless around with what we take really. DSLR's rule.

Danny

One advantage of living in liberal Holland - you don't get arrested for getting your clunker out.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

G Dickson Contributing Member • Posts: 581

While I love the electronic silent stealthy shutter on my em10ii  there is something equally therapeutic about sticking a fast CF card in my 1dmkiv and going full on 10fps on some poor innocent birds.  Now thats a proper noise!

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon 6D Mark II +11 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,319

bobn2 wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

All the best Colin.

Danny.

Ha trust you ya plonker

Danny

One advantage of living in liberal Holland - you don't get arrested for getting your clunker out.

How about an old clacker or two;-)

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 Olympus E-M1 II +6 more
mcabato Senior Member • Posts: 2,113
Re: The big decider

NCV wrote:

A photo trip should not be hurried. Taking good photographs takes time and patience.

On I hike I carry what I think I can carry without the gear becoming tiresome. I mostly take M43.

For static stuff I use FF.

I mostly do photography on my own as then I can take all the time I need.

But what, if the object does not correspond with your plentifulness of time?

select the Spot, set up your tripod wit huge lens and wait some hours for the deer object to arrive and stay exactly there.

Congratulation!

If not, come the next day again. One year later you accepted, that this place was avoided by that specific kind of deer.

Br gusti

mcabato's gear list:mcabato's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +15 more
Wu Jiaqiu

bobn2 wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

All the best Colin.

Danny.

Ha trust you ya plonker

Danny

the liberal thing is just a facade for right wing politics, inbreeding and intolerance, similar to Birmingham in fact but with more bikes, less hills and less rubbish on the streets

NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 9,234
Re: The big decider

mcabato wrote:

NCV wrote:

A photo trip should not be hurried. Taking good photographs takes time and patience.

On I hike I carry what I think I can carry without the gear becoming tiresome. I mostly take M43.

For static stuff I use FF.

I mostly do photography on my own as then I can take all the time I need.

But what, if the object does not correspond with your plentifulness of time?

select the Spot, set up your tripod wit huge lens and wait some hours for the deer object to arrive and stay exactly there.

Congratulation!

If not, come the next day again. One year later you accepted, that this place was avoided by that specific kind of deer.

Br gusti

Some replies I get make zero sense. This is one of them.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515

James Stirling wrote:

Model Mike wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

The only problem with this story is that proper use of a tripod will achieve better sharpness than not using one, no matter what system you shoot.

Not sure that applies so much these days, given the excellent stabilisation available on modern cameras. Use of the tripod is more about maintaining and optimising composition, and for multiple-frame images e.g. HDR and sensor shift.

Mike, though the stabilisation systems are great I still think that if you want the absolute best quality tripods are the way to go. Though many here claim to take "sharp" multi-second hand-held shots I have never seen one posted that I would call critically sharp, certainly it is miraculous to get anything at those crazy speeds but not really sharp . Stick your camera on a decent tripod, set delay , IBIS off etc , set your lens to its optimum aperture and then compare to a hand-held shot using multiple stops of IBIS , even I get hand-held shots sharp at 1/16000th

Not if you're on a boat 

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,400
Tom... this seems like a very extraordinary circumstance

Whenever 50% of the cameras used are $3,000 M4/3 cameras, then you know this isn't an ordinary vacation or cruise. I think the key words here are "Nome" and "Alaska."

Whenever people get a once in a lifetime chance to shoot in an extremely harsh environment, then they are likely to spend the money to get the best weather sealing they can find. And the E-M1X is a very good choice for that.

If the event was a rock concert, then 98% of the cameras used would have been smartphones. If the event was a senior citizen cruise, then 75% would probably be DSLRs. And entry level ones at that.

In that context I think 50% of the cameras used for a trip to Nome Alaska makes sense. The other 50% were probably high end (and very well sealed) DSLRs.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +14 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,362
Re: Tom... this seems like a very extraordinary circumstance

Marty4650 wrote:

In that context I think 50% of the cameras used for a trip to Nome Alaska makes sense. The other 50% were probably high end (and very well sealed) DSLRs.

He said there was 1 Panasonic m4/3 and 1 Nikon DSLR also.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Tommi K1 Senior Member • Posts: 7,078
Re: MFT is the lightest and smallest professional system

Humansvillian wrote:

• Tommi K1 wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens.

That is difficult to believe, unless it was a m4/3 club own trip.

What’s surprising is the one guy with the large gear.

Camera bodies are lens holders.

The smallest professional cameras take MFT lenses.

The smallest pro lenses are MFT. A 300mm MFT lens replaces a 600mm FF.

Flying thousands of miles to Alaska and hiring a boat and guide to take photographs costs a whole lot of money.

What’s three grand, for such a group that decides that’s how they want to spend their money?

They can stay home, and use FF cameras and lenses.

Alaska is cold and wet and a small professional camera is at a premium.

First we need to accept that any lens or any body is professional capable.

But other question is that how many camera combos you can make that are highly weather sealed?

Now you start to do drop many professional gear as most are not weather sealed up to task of outdoors use in harsh conditions, that anyways very few are ready to face. Not a normal light rain but a pouring water for weeks, where you have everything, every crack in your body wet. And your challenge is to keep front element dry... Nothing else.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads