Everyone Using MFT

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ToxicTabasco
ToxicTabasco Senior Member • Posts: 2,424
Re: Everyone Using MFT

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens. In talking with him it seemed the reason he hadn't shifted to MFT was he didn't think he could master the controls. At every photo stop we had to wait for him to remove his tripod and set it up. I felt sorry for him, watching him struggle. I guess I should also mention he was 84 years old. Good photographer also.

Interesting, I guess if there is one style of photography that would benefit shooting MFT it would be wildlife in harsh conditions on a boat or on land.

Most of the National Parks I go to have a ton of phone and Canon shooters.  Canon seems to be one of the most popular brands for National Parks.  Rarely do I see MFT at the National Parks.  The US ones anyway.

ToxicTabasco's gear list:ToxicTabasco's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,545

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I have just returned from a photo trip to Nome, Alaska. Everyone on the trip, including the guide, was using Olympus EM-1X and one Panasonic MFT. There was only one guy on the trip still using a huge Nikon body and 600MM lens. In talking with him it seemed the reason he hadn't shifted to MFT was he didn't think he could master the controls. At every photo stop we had to wait for him to remove his tripod and set it up. I felt sorry for him, watching him struggle. I guess I should also mention he was 84 years old. Good photographer also.

Not surprising, of course, but I'm sorry to hear the sad tale about the poor old gentleman.

Jan

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +4 more
OP Colin Smith1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,052

brentbrent wrote:

Somewhat surprising. Roughly how many EM1Xs are we talking about when you say "everyone" but the one Panasonic and one Nikon?

Three.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Colin Smith1's gear list:Colin Smith1's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more

larsbc wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

So how many people were on the trip? You, the guide, and the old guy?

Was it a mostly wildlife trip? On boats or?

Six.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more

ToxicTabasco wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Interesting, I guess if there is one style of photography that would benefit shooting MFT it would be wildlife in harsh conditions on a boat or on land.

Most of the National Parks I go to have a ton of phone and Canon shooters. Canon seems to be one of the most popular brands for National Parks. Rarely do I see MFT at the National Parks. The US ones anyway.

This was a wildlife trip with harsh conditions on land.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,316
Re: I feel alone

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Everywhere I go, it's all DSLR and long teles. I'm the only one using an Oly, in fact the only one using mirrorless. I can't see it changing anytime soon to be honest.

All the best Colin.

Danny.

you must be going deaf from all that incessant clacking

Ha trust you ya plonker

Tell ya what, the 1Dx is actually very quite compared to the Oly with mechanical shutter G. Very smooth sounding clicks rather than clunk. That's with a mirror flapping as well. Large Nikon's are probably the same I would imagine, never noticed Steve's D500 making much of a noise.

All the best G and yes, not many mirrorless around with what we take really. DSLR's rule.

Danny

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 Olympus E-M1 II +6 more
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 4,984

Model Mike wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

The only problem with this story is that proper use of a tripod will achieve better sharpness than not using one, no matter what system you shoot.

Not sure that applies so much these days, given the excellent stabilisation available on modern cameras. Use of the tripod is more about maintaining and optimising composition, and for multiple-frame images e.g. HDR and sensor shift.

Mike, though the stabilisation systems are great I still think that if you want the absolute best quality tripods are the way to go. Though many here claim to take "sharp" multi-second hand-held shots I have never seen one posted that I would call critically sharp, certainly it is miraculous to get anything at those crazy speeds but not really sharp . Stick your camera on a decent tripod, set delay , IBIS off etc , set your lens to its optimum aperture  and then compare to a hand-held shot using multiple stops of IBIS , even I get hand-held shots sharp at 1/16000th

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +8 more

I guess I should also mention that I never had to search for the gentleman's position, I just listened for the loud noise of his shutter and mirror.  He was using Nikon full frame equipment.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Pete_W
Pete_W Senior Member • Posts: 1,073

nzmacro wrote:

Everywhere I go, it's all DSLR and long teles. I'm the only one using an Oly, in fact the only one using mirrorless. I can't see it changing anytime soon to be honest.

Yes, it's all about context.

During my recent visit to Uluru, I went to the sunrise viewing platform and there were many busloads of tourists there. The overwhelming majority of camera being used were smartphones, followed by point & shoots.

When I go out to photo heritage rail trips, almost everyone has a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Pete

Pete_W's gear list:Pete_W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,654

I guess people who go on trips like yours are the same people who can afford E-M1Xs and 600mm primes. Funny to think the cost of those E-M1X bodies would have paid my rent for about two-thirds of the year. With lenses, the whole year or longer. I'm just pointing out relativities here - this is in the realm of cameras for the one percenters, not the masses.

I saw an E-M1X in a shop once. Not in the real world. On one of my walks with the local bushwalking club I still owned am E-M1i. Two others on that walk had OM-Ds (10s, I think). I haven't seen any mirrorless on any other walk - all phones, compacts and once a DSLR. A friend of mine owns an EM-10.

Other than those times, I have rarely seen a micro four-thirds camera in use. I take note when I am in areas with lots of tourists. Once or twice I've seen a Panasonic, once or twice a Fuji. Sony A7x and A6xxx are more common. The occasional bridge camera and compact p&s.

Otherwise it's all Canon and Nikon DSLRs, mostly entry levels with kit zooms but I do see the odd higher level body and lens. And phones of course. Lots of phones.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,240

Colin Smith1 wrote:

larsbc wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Six.

50% - a pretty good average.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

nzmacro wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

All the best Colin.

Danny.

you must be going deaf from all that incessant clacking

Ha trust you ya plonker

Tell ya what, the 1Dx is actually very quite compared to the Oly with mechanical shutter G. Very smooth sounding clicks rather than clunk. That's with a mirror flapping as well. Large Nikon's are probably the same I would imagine, never noticed Steve's D500 making much of a noise.

All the best G and yes, not many mirrorless around with what we take really. DSLR's rule.

Danny

No A7R’s then that would be enough noise to frighten all the birds around for five kilometres back into their fox holes  Not even an electronic shutter option.

Memo from Sony design chief to staff - we want to make the A7R as attractive to dslr users as possible.  Firstly: buttons and wheels all over the place  - the more awkwardly located the better - just make sure that there are plenty of them  - that will impress dslr shooters big time.  Also: make the shutter noise loud enough to wake the dead - we will show those dslr freaks just what real shutter noise Sony can provide.  Just make sure the noise amplification circuit is set to full on and cannot be adjusted by non-dslr wimps.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,545

Colin Smith1 wrote:

I guess I should also mention that I never had to search for the gentleman's position, I just listened for the loud noise of his shutter and mirror. He was using Nikon full frame equipment.

Lol!

I remember, it was about 1998 I think, I was an OM system user, in the old B&H store trying to decide which AF mount to adopt: It was between an EOS body (I forget which), or the F5 Nikon.

When I tripped the shutter in the EOS, I was SHOCKED by the vibration from the mirror, etc. I then tried the F5 and bought one, as it wasn't so unforgivably poor as the Canon.

The 1X has a remarkably lovely feel made possibly by a solid and shapely design, but the F5 was kind of a pioneer of this form, I believe. Well, I can miss it quite a bit less, now!

Jan

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +4 more
Hearts and Minds - and that is only “the dealers”

ToxicTabasco wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Most of the National Parks I go to have a ton of phone and Canon shooters. Canon seems to be one of the most popular brands for National Parks. Rarely do I see MFT at the National Parks. The US ones anyway.

Well if you can convince potential users that dslr cameras per se are the creme de la creme then they will pay the premium to buy them. This allows an easy sell by the multitude of Canon vendors in duty free and surrounding tourist areas.  This allows better margins so the shops will stock the product and push it because there is more money in selling dslr.

The next issue is how to get a bigger price for the new FF ML wave so that good margins can be given to dealers.  New lenses (ah-ha) are always on the table and now every new FF ML user will need a new lens especially if they are new to a serious camera.

Nothing changes much except that the battle for hearts and minds of M4/3 users has probably meant low margins unless the market can be interested in larger “more expensive looking” camera bodies and seriously exotic and expensive lenses to go with them

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,051
Current count

I have mentioned here before that Olympus is pretty common in my camera club, today I took some time and wrote down the names of those shooting Olympus. We have at any given time between 50 and 60 total membership. Today’s tally of Olympus shooters was 15 (I might have missed one or two).

To be fair, our club is in South Florida and is mostly made up of retired men and women that are financially secure, but not wealthy, have time on their hands, and travel quite a bit. We also have an active user community centered around our local brick and mortar photo store that has an excellent relationship with Olympus (they currently will provide on loan at no charge, one of two E-M1x kits for anyone interested in trying them out for up to a week).

We are approaching the 50% mirrorless threshold at our club with Olympus being the most prevalent, followed by Sony and than Fiji. Only One Canon R, and one.Nikon Z7.

Two years ago there were just my wife and I shooting MFT, so a pretty good run up since then.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
Forgotten (to take) the Box Brownie?

Phones are just the modern day (snap, share and forget) version of the Brownie Box camera and mainly for those that have a borderline interest in photography.  But phone are a whole lot easier to carry than a Box Brownie and the Box Brownie never had a chance to make people contactable 24/7 or provide a means of amusement in our otherwise boring life.

So if you are on a trip of a lifetime and you forgot the Box Brownie then I am sure that you have not forgotten the phone.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

New Day Rising

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

larsbc wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Six.

True, but in most situations (including the kinds of tourist areas you and I encounter) the prevalence of any mirrorless ILC is going to more like 1% or less, and E-M1Xs more like 0.05%.

Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
New Day Rising
Re: Forgotten (to take) the Box Brownie?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Phones are just the modern day (snap, share and forget) version of the Brownie Box camera and mainly for those that have a borderline interest in photography.

Yeah, exactly. It really surprises me that so few members on here seem to get that point. They are shocked that so many people out there accept the IQ and ergonomic comprises of phones and think that if manufacturers just improved the connectivity of ILCs sales would soar again.

Convenience has always been the most important thing for the majority and that has not and will not change.

But phone are a whole lot easier to carry than a Box Brownie and the Box Brownie never had a chance to make people contactable 24/7 or provide a means of amusement in our otherwise boring life.

So if you are on a trip of a lifetime and you forgot the Box Brownie then I am sure that you have not forgotten the phone.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

New Day Rising wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

larsbc wrote:

Colin Smith1 wrote:

Six.

True, but in most situations (including the kinds of tourist areas you and I encounter) the prevalence of any mirrorless ILC is going to more like 1% or less, and E-M1Xs more like 0.05%.

Myself also that is why 50% E-M1x is extraordinary.  I have yet to see one in the flesh “anywhere”.  The situation is that tourist photo hardware retailers are big city oriented or cluster around the most popular tourist destinations / duty free shops.  Therefore finding a country retailer with stock out of the popular ordinary pap is hard and when they do stock it then it is so slow moving that it is priced out of contention.  Therefore there is a death wish surrounding all product that pushes the boundaries and all the sales efforts are concentrated on moving the average product to the average buyer.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Re: Forgotten (to take) the Box Brownie?

New Day Rising wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Phones are just the modern day (snap, share and forget) version of the Brownie Box camera and mainly for those that have a borderline interest in photography.

Yeah, exactly. It really surprises me that so few members on here seem to get that point. They are shocked that so many people out there accept the IQ and ergonomic comprises of phones and think that if manufacturers just improved the connectivity of ILCs sales would soar again.

Convenience has always been the most important thing for the majority and that has not and will not change.

”Snap, share and forget” as noted above.  I have previously argued that come 20 years there will be much the same number of historical photographs available as there ever was.  Few of these will be the residue of mobile phone photography - most images will be lost on hard drives, Instagram, Facebook, etc, and on “the Cloud” somewhere.  All this despite the incredibly huge number of captures being made (every second).

The world is just swinging back to normality where there were lots of casual “snappers and showers” for the instant-only feedback received and relatively few with serious investment in kit and interest in what they captured as historically well documented images.

The relative interests an ratio of photographers has not changed at all.

But phone are a whole lot easier to carry than a Box Brownie and the Box Brownie never had a chance to make people contactable 24/7 or provide a means of amusement in our otherwise boring life.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads