Fujifilm 35mm F/1.4 vs F/2

Started 4 months ago | Polls
DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 8,827
Re: Fujifilm 35mm F/1.4 vs F/2

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

akin_t wrote:

Image quality is a wash, all the talk about "magic" can be attributed to f/1.4; and if money was no object, I would get the f/1.4

The 35f1.4 has a different optical construction from the 35f2, so the “magic” is actually attributable to that; it’s the reason why the two lenses don’t render the same at f2. In an interview Fuji said they designed the f1.4 to have a specific type of rendering, and while having an extra stop of light gathering is great, that is not actually the reason why people like it’s IQ.

Fuji have never intentionally made a lens to inaccurately reproduce,,,,

please define how rendering and accurately reproduce are different?

I don't have time to find it for you, but there was an interview with a Fuji rep and he said that the 35 f1.4 was specifically designed to have the look it does and the 35 f2 is different.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
kiwidad Regular Member • Posts: 397

pastures-new wrote:

I have both. Over time I’ve completely converted to the 1.4 and I’ve have relegated the f/2 to the role of second lens when I am using a long or wide lens and want to have something small and with broader application “in the bag”. I have used the 1.4 In all sorts of climates and the focus speed is fine.

can you put your camera on a tripod and shoot the same image with identical settings on both lenses and lets compare. Maybe something near and something distant at a couple of different aperture and remove the EXIT data before you  upload and lets see if a difference can be seen!

kiwidad's gear list:kiwidad's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm 50-230mm +2 more

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:
Personally with modern ISOs the difference between f1.4 and f2 is nothing

It is if you are already shooting at ISO6400 or higher.

I can see that, I just don't see enough of a difference in all factors (I don't find the noise at 12800 objectionable) to make me pay all that extra for an non WR lens with "magical" qualities no-one can illustrate...

Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm 50-230mm +2 more
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,712

kiwidad wrote:

deednets wrote:

akin_t wrote:

f/2 has WR, is slightly more compact and faster/quieter autofocus; that's where the differences end.

Image quality is a wash, all the talk about "magic" can be attributed to f/1.4; and if money was no object, I would get the f/1.4

Let's be real here, all Fuji lenses have passable autofocus, most of us on this forum are not shooting in the rain, and the size difference is also a wash for most "should I take it" considerations.

I'm not saying the f/2 is bad, but the f/1.4 has f/1.4, there's nothing that can replace that.

I see you don't own the lens?

I originally didn't have any desire or application in my mind with regards to this lens but then I borrowed the lens for a little while (30 or so minutes at a model shoot) and decided I wanted one of these ...

I like the gentle falloff of this lens. Had the 35/2 as well for more than a year, but bought the 1.4 again because of the rendering ...

Deed

I see only one pic at f1.4 and the subject distance would nullify and DOF difference... perhaps a comparison side by side of the two lenses on a body on a tripod and lenses swapped at f2 and other apertures. Personally with modern ISOs the difference between f1.4 and f2 is

I don’t take photos for charts sake. I also rarely ever have 2 lenses of exactly the same focal length but different speed. But had the 35/2 for a year. Left me somewhat puzzled as to what she would bring to the table.

The 35/1.4 is ... different. Love it.

I never liked the 50mm, neither wide nor close. But get images I find far more pleasing than with most other 50mm I have used, including the 35/2.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

akin_t wrote:

The 35f1.4 has a different optical construction from the 35f2, so the “magic” is actually attributable to that; it’s the reason why the two lenses don’t render the same at f2. In an interview Fuji said they designed the f1.4 to have a specific type of rendering, and while having an extra stop of light gathering is great, that is not actually the reason why people like it’s IQ.

I don't have time to find it for you, but there was an interview with a Fuji rep and he said that the 35 f1.4 was specifically designed to have the look it does and the 35 f2 is different.

sounds like a fun rep smoked something

But seriously why can  I not find and side by side comparisons. Everything I find are shot claimed to be magic and different shots claimed to not be!

kiwidad wrote:

pastures-new wrote:

I have both. Over time I’ve completely converted to the 1.4 and I’ve have relegated the f/2 to the role of second lens when I am using a long or wide lens and want to have something small and with broader application “in the bag”. I have used the 1.4 In all sorts of climates and the focus speed is fine.

can you put your camera on a tripod and shoot the same image with identical settings on both lenses and lets compare. Maybe something near and something distant at a couple of different aperture and remove the EXIT data before you upload and lets see if a difference can be seen!

To save Pastures several hours of work, I just googled the comparison. There are many out there, draw your own conclusions.

https://alikgriffin.com/fujifilm-35mm-f1-4-vs-35mm-f2-lens-comparison/

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
liggy
liggy Regular Member • Posts: 441

John Gellings wrote:

Both! Really, you cannot go wrong here...

Best answer so far. :D. I do have both and in truthfulness I only choose the 2.0 if it is raining.  Both are great though.

liggy's gear list:liggy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +24 more

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

I can see that, I just don't see enough of a difference in all factors (I don't find the noise at 12800 objectionable) to make me pay all that extra for an non WR lens with "magical" qualities no-one can illustrate...

I frequently shoot at 12800, which means under the same conditions the f2 would required ISO25600 which means no Raw. Just be happy with the f2. I had both and sold the f2 because I just prefer the f1.4's rendering.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

Ah yes, I see: made up your mind and that’s it then?

Should you ever be back from the US, you grab your 35/2 and I grab my 35/1.4. nightmarket in wherever.

You seriously think those images would be a wash? Same–same, no difference?

Really?

You have used one, right?

Deed

Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

akin_t wrote:

sounds like a fun rep smoked something

But seriously why can I not find and side by side comparisons. Everything I find are shot claimed to be magic and different shots claimed to not be!

Do you really think that lenses with different optical constructions will render the scene exactly the same? And an extra stop of light can be the difference between using PD-AF and Contrast-AF.

Just google for comparisons, there are plenty of them out there.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

pastures-new wrote:

can you put your camera on a tripod and shoot the same image with identical settings on both lenses and lets compare. Maybe something near and something distant at a couple of different aperture and remove the EXIT data before you upload and lets see if a difference can be seen!

To save Pastures several hours of work, I just googled the comparison. There are many out there, draw your own conclusions.

https://alikgriffin.com/fujifilm-35mm-f1-4-vs-35mm-f2-lens-comparison/

and that reviews proves my point.

all the shots illustrate the difference between f1.4 and f2. I know there is a difference but with both lenses at f2 there are no great samples. lok at the last two side by side examples. the reviewer again shoots the f1.4 wide open and the f2 wide open, TO truly compare I want to see both at f2..

The interesting thing is that reviewer give better marks to the f2 in a very subjective area.

ALSO web designers.... DO NOT PUT INFO IN LIGHT GREY ON A WHITE BACKGROUND!!!!!!!!

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

I frequently shoot at 12800, which means under the same conditions the f2 would required ISO25600 which means no Raw. Just be happy with the f2. I had both and sold the f2 because I just prefer the f1.4's rendering. And an extra stop of light can be the difference between using PD-AF and Contras-AF.

I notice the "r" how is the "r" different?

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

I frequently shoot at 12800, which means under the same conditions the f2 would required ISO25600 which means no Raw. Just be happy with the f2. I had both and sold the f2 because I just prefer the f1.4's rendering. And an extra stop of light can be the difference between using PD-AF and Contras-AF.

I notice the "r" how is the "r" different?

Just google comparison, plenty of them out there.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

kiwidad wrote:

TO truly compare I want to see both at f2..

Must be a shame to not get what you want.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

akin_t wrote:

That was at the Fuji expo in Dubai where Zach Arias asked NOT to change the optics of the current 35/1.4. The whole video is rather long but the 35/1.4 was mentioned there with regards to optical performance vs af etc.

deednets wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

akin_t wrote:

That was at the Fuji expo in Dubai where Zach Arias asked NOT to change the optics of the current 35/1.4. The whole video is rather long but the 35/1.4 was mentioned there with regards to optical performance vs af etc.

I think it was on the Fujilove podcast where they said that the 35 was designed the way it was to get a particular character.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

markusw
markusw Senior Member • Posts: 1,581
I don‘t get it

Well, don‘t get me wrong - I love gear talks, and this is why I am here on dpreview.

But I really don‘t understand these agitated discussions on the 35 2 vs 1.4. No discussion on 23 1.4 vs 2. And no on 16 1.4 vs 2.8.

Maybe we should create some kind of Fujiwiki, just stating pro and con for every lens, and everyone may just decide?

-- hide signature --
 markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Montanawildlives Contributing Member • Posts: 725

MatMayer wrote:

eRaCer001 wrote:

Blah blah blah....

I am so glad this question has come up. It is about time someone stood up and had the guts to create a poll.

Plus, we can now for the first time ever get 8 pages of intelligent, unbiased comments about why one or the other is better overall.

I look forward to this unique debate about the one topic we so desperately need clearing up.

Of course, nobody that only has one of these lenses will vote, or comment, right? Which means we will finally have the definitive answer about the best nifty 50 Fuji make.

This is it.... I am so excited to see all the comments.

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

kiwidad wrote:

TO truly compare I want to see both at f2..

Must be a shame to not get what you want.

Not I, I like what I get. I just see all the "magic" as snake oil! Especially since all the reviews don't really do a true side by side at f2, or I cant find one that does. The only differenceI have observed relates to the different number of aperture blades but that affects nothing wide open...

skalsa Junior Member • Posts: 26

35 f1.4 is a classic. The core design of lens elements is 100 years old. It flares (i like it :)), it has an exact amount of contrast and sharpness, a lot of micro-contrast etc. I don't think 35 f2 is a bad lens.. but totally different. It renders in a much more modern way. I like it too but I prefer classic over modern (35 f2 has a lot of distortion, more contrast etc - not so dreamy look for portrait). and I find 35 f1.4 fast enough with X-H1..

skalsa's gear list:skalsa's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads