Fujifilm 35mm F/1.4 vs F/2

Started 3 months ago | Polls
eRaCer001 New Member • Posts: 12
Fujifilm 35mm F/1.4 vs F/2

I know that there's a ton of threads and youtube videos on this question, but I thought it might be interesting to have a poll.

Some say that the f/1.4 is magic, and has a certain undefinable quality.  Others say that they prefer the f/2 for sharpness across the board.

I'll be using the lens with the X-T30, which I understand may improve the AF speed over older bodies.  So, which would you choose if money wasn't an issue and you would use it to shoot a diverse range of photos, including kids, portraits, hikes, travel, etc.?

eRaCer001's gear list:eRaCer001's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
POLL
35mm F/1.4
64.9% 63  votes
35mm F/2
35.1% 34  votes
  Show results
akin_t Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320
Re: Fujifilm 35mm F/1.4 vs F/2

f/2 has WR, is slightly more compact and faster/quieter autofocus; that's where the differences end.

Image quality is a wash, all the talk about "magic" can be attributed to f/1.4; and if money was no object, I would get the f/1.4

Let's be real here, all Fuji lenses have passable autofocus, most of us on this forum are not shooting in the rain, and the size difference is also a wash for most "should I take it" considerations.

I'm not saying the f/2 is bad, but the f/1.4 has f/1.4, there's nothing that can replace that.

akin_t's gear list:akin_t's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T2 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
NickD81 Forum Member • Posts: 51

I have the 35 F2 for my X-T20 but I've just bought a used 35 1.4 on eBay this morning for £253 using a 10% off voucher so I'll be able to compare the two when it arrives. I like the F2, it's nice and compact and produces good images, but I'll probably end up selling it if the 1.4 lives up to its 'magic' reputation!

deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,643

akin_t wrote:

f/2 has WR, is slightly more compact and faster/quieter autofocus; that's where the differences end.

Image quality is a wash, all the talk about "magic" can be attributed to f/1.4; and if money was no object, I would get the f/1.4

Let's be real here, all Fuji lenses have passable autofocus, most of us on this forum are not shooting in the rain, and the size difference is also a wash for most "should I take it" considerations.

I'm not saying the f/2 is bad, but the f/1.4 has f/1.4, there's nothing that can replace that.

I see you don't own the lens?

I originally didn't have any desire or application in my mind with regards to this lens but then I borrowed the lens for a little while (30 or so minutes at a model shoot) and decided I wanted one of these ...

I like the gentle falloff of this lens. Had the 35/2 as well for more than a year, but bought the 1.4 again because of the rendering ...

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more

deednets wrote:

akin_t wrote:

I originally didn't have any desire or application in my mind with regards to this lens but then I borrowed the lens for a little while (30 or so minutes at a model shoot) and decided I wanted one of these ...

I like the gentle falloff of this lens. Had the 35/2 as well for more than a year, but bought the 1.4 again because of the rendering ...

Deed

I borrowed it, it's decent but was too similar to my 32mm Touit to consider a purchase.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T2 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
MatMayer
MatMayer Contributing Member • Posts: 884

eRaCer001 wrote:

Blah blah blah....

I am so glad this question has come up. It is about time someone stood up and had the guts to create a poll.

Plus, we can now for the first time ever get 8 pages of intelligent, unbiased comments about why one or the other is better overall.

I look forward to this unique debate about the one topic we so desperately need clearing up.

Of course, nobody that only has one of these lenses will vote, or comment, right? Which means we will finally have the definitive answer about the best nifty 50 Fuji make.

This is it.... I am so excited to see all the comments.

markusw
markusw Senior Member • Posts: 1,509
None. But...

...I decided for the Zeiss Touit 32mm.

-- hide signature --
 markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
wooly1
wooly1 Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: None. But...

Hi Had the 35 f2 sold it to get the 35 f1.4 - I think that says it all - the f2 was a silly mistake - Michael

wooly1's gear list:wooly1's gear list
Leica C Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Pentax KP Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +18 more
DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 8,702

akin_t wrote:

The 35f1.4 has a different optical construction from the 35f2, so the “magic” is actually attributable to that; it’s the reason why the two lenses don’t render the same at f2. In an interview Fuji said they designed the f1.4 to have a specific type of rendering, and while having an extra stop of light gathering is great, that is not actually the reason why people like it’s IQ.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Cagey75
Cagey75 Senior Member • Posts: 1,070

When I first switched to Fuji a couple years back the 35 1.4 pretty much lived on my XT1.  I switched to M43 for a while but recently returned to Fuji with the XH1.  I went looking for a nice used copy of the 1.4 but people were looking for almost new prices! I came across a more budget friendly F2 so went for it.  It's in as new condition and was £100 less than people were looking for the 1.4, and they weren't exactly great condition [marks all over the hood, scratches to the lens body etc]

So I have the F2 atm, and it's growing on me.  I have to admit that at first I hated it, I found it hunts a lot in lower light more than it should, and even in good light it does this focus breathing thing.  This is where it seems to shoot past your target then back before locking on.  This is annoying at times but I have gotten used to it's quirks.  It is also soft for close ups at F2, the further back you focus the sharper it seems to get.  I like shooting close up so that's another con.  For general use though, it is sharp, has lovely punchy contrast and I like the fact it is WR, and also tiny - great for when you want to be stealthy, it draws zero attention even on the XH1

Would I swap it for the 1.4 now after using it a few weeks? tough decision, I remember the 1.4 being a bit of a slug when it comes to AF and noisey too.  Also it's not WR which is a bit of a bummer, when you know the F2 is.  It boils down to just a few differences.  If you need 1.4 then your decision is done, but if F2 is sufficient and you need WR and prefer quieter focusing? then get the F2

Cagey75's gear list:Cagey75's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +2 more
shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 2,053

akin_t wrote:

I’d be most happy if Fujifilm contemporaneously developed a non aspherical version of the 35 1,4. Cant stand that opinion bokeh. That and improved autofocus would be great. Other than that a great lens.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,305

Both!  Really, you cannot go wrong here...

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R II Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +5 more
Foxjet Regular Member • Posts: 288

The 1.4 is a sweet lens for my use.

35mm f1.4

35mm f1.4

Cheers!

Foxjet's gear list:Foxjet's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3
pastures-new
pastures-new New Member • Posts: 5

I have both. Over time I’ve completely converted to the 1.4 and I’ve have relegated the f/2 to the role of second lens when I am using a long or wide lens and want to have something small and with broader application “in the bag”. I have used the 1.4 In all sorts of climates and the focus speed is fine.

markusw wrote:

...I decided for the Zeiss Touit 32mm.

Only reason this lens isn't talked about more is because of the high price at launch.

I tried to prefer the 35 f/1.4 over the Zeiss, but it simply didn't bring anything else to the table to make me consider selling the Zeiss.

markusw
markusw Senior Member • Posts: 1,509

Yeah, it was overpriced in the beginning. Today, you can get it new for the same price as the 35 f1.4 in Germany. And i prefer it over the Fuji due to its punchy colors and micro contrast!

-- hide signature --
 markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,643

shigzeo wrote:

akin_t wrote:

I’d be most happy if Fujifilm contemporaneously developed a non aspherical version of the 35 1,4. Cant stand that opinion bokeh. That and improved autofocus would be great. Other than that a great lens.

Opinion bokeh? The blur behind the head?

Good one!! 😎

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
kiwidad Regular Member • Posts: 393

deednets wrote:

akin_t wrote:

Deed

I see only one pic at f1.4 and the subject distance would nullify and DOF difference...  perhaps a comparison side by side of the two lenses on a body on a tripod and lenses swapped at f2 and other apertures. Personally with modern ISOs the difference between f1.4 and f2 is nothing

kiwidad's gear list:kiwidad's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +2 more
kiwidad Regular Member • Posts: 393

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

akin_t wrote:

The 35f1.4 has a different optical construction from the 35f2, so the “magic” is actually attributable to that; it’s the reason why the two lenses don’t render the same at f2. In an interview Fuji said they designed the f1.4 to have a specific type of rendering, and while having an extra stop of light gathering is great, that is not actually the reason why people like it’s IQ.

Fuji have never intentionally made a lens to inaccurately reproduce,,,,

please define how rendering and accurately reproduce are different?

kiwidad's gear list:kiwidad's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +2 more
DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 8,702

kiwidad wrote:
Personally with modern ISOs the difference between f1.4 and f2 is nothing

It is if you are already shooting at ISO6400 or higher.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads