Loving Rokinon AF 45/1.8

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,595
Re: Loving Rokinon AF 45/1.8

CyeJoeBob wrote:

Did anyone experience AF issues. My Samyang 45mm 1.8 can't properly focus at infinity. It always has a slight front focus when focusing at infinity, no matter which AF mode or aperture I choose.

I'm not sure wheter it is just my sample or a general AF issue.

100% center crop - MF (left), AF-S (middle), AF-C (right)

I have just thoroughly tested my copy of the Samyang FE 45mm f1.8, and unfortunately can confirm similar AF issues at infinity. In AF-S mode at infinity distance, the lens misses focus every time. If you re-half press the shutter a second time it does find focus.

In AF-C mode, the focus is inconsistent as well, some shots are in focus, most are out of focus or front focussed.

Unfortunately, my lens is going back. I'd suggest others do the same if they have similar AF issues.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
matrix44 Forum Member • Posts: 85

Got my lens yesterday. Quite happy with it so far. It is very sharp wide open, and sharp even at the edges.

AF performance was impressive and passed the toddler test. Eye AF worked pretty well, and most of my shots were in focus. I haven't tested infinity focus yet, but I bought this lens primarily for people and other close up shots, so I can wait for them to fix that issue with a  future firmware update.

Contrast is not as good as my 50 ZA, but that is to be expected.

Bokeh is quite nice for all but the busiest backgrounds.

My favorite thing about the lens is the size and weight. It is by far the smallest full frame lens I own. Totally transforms the shooting experience. The included hood is tiny and fits well.

The build quality is fine. No complaints. It didn't feel plasticky to me, but even if it did, that's not a deal breaker to me.

My only complaint is that the lens cap is a bit finicky and doesn't inspire confidence. In fact, when I opened the lens, I immediately noticed that the lens cap had come off. Luckily, it didn't do any damage.

Overall, very impressed with this lens. 50mm is my favorite FL, and at this size, weight, and price, it complements my 50 ZA quite well. It is definitely a lot better than my now sold Sony FE 1.8. It is also in a different league to the Samyang 50 1.4 in terms of AF performance and sharpness (I also sold that lens recently).

Dirtistasty2 Regular Member • Posts: 193

For people that have the front focus at infinity issue, what camera are you using?

I tried to replicate the issue with my A7III with center focus only and my MF and AF-S results are the same. I tried it both at f1.8 and F8 and didn't see a difference.

It's quickly becoming my favorite walkabout lens. I do find it plasticky though, definitely worse build quality than the 50mm f1.8. I also think the bokeh is pretty terrible with it being busy and cat-eye shaped. That said, the bokeh is still better than older manual focus 40-45mm lenses like the CV 40mm f1.4 and Contax Planar T 45mm.

In terms of sharpness for me (just going by some quick shots with no tripod)

50mm f1.8 < 45mm f1.8 < 40mm f1.2 < 55mm f1.8

I took it to the county fair and I think it's a keeper. Might have to get rid of the 50 though.

County Fair Images with the Samyang 45mm f1.8

Cat-eye bokeh!

I had the focus issue on both my a7 and a7rii, in AF-S and AF-C, flexible spot M and L, and Centre modes. I've already sent the lens back.

Den

Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
CyeJoeBob Forum Member • Posts: 71

I have the issue with the A7 III.

CyeJoeBob's gear list:CyeJoeBob's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony)

CyeJoeBob wrote:

It's all very weird.

I can't understand why some people are having AF issues and others aren't.

This suggests that it's a hardware fault in some lenses and not an issue that can be fixed with a firmware update. I'm glad I sent mine back instead of waiting for a firmware update.

Den

thiefofpresence
OP thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 731

DenImage wrote:

CyeJoeBob wrote:

It's all very weird.

I can't understand why some people are having AF issues and others aren't.

This suggests that it's a hardware fault in some lenses and not an issue that can be fixed with a firmware update. I'm glad I sent mine back instead of waiting for a firmware update.

Den

I wish vendors would explicitly assert which body firmware versions they are optimized and tested for working with.

I wonder if I were not on the latest body firmware for A7iii, maybe AF would have been more reliable.

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/thiefofpresence
Sony A7iii | Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21/4 Pancake; Zeiss Batis 2/25; Rokinon AF 45/1.8; Sony FE 1.8/85 | Sony FE 4/24-105 G OSS; Sony FE 4/70-200 G; Sigma 150-600 C

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a7 III Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +4 more
Mentt New Member • Posts: 20

Just buy original Sony lenses, save your self money and disappointment

Mentt's gear list:Mentt's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F1.8
richpjr Regular Member • Posts: 313

Mentt wrote:

The many people who had trouble with their Sony 35mm f1.4 ZA might disagree with this comment.

richpjr's gear list:richpjr's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE

Mentt wrote:

I own a Sigma 8mm fisheye lens, the Tamron 28-75mm and two Voigtlander lenses (which are all perfect).

Anyway, I've ordered another Sony/Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8 (I've owned one previously), it should be here early next week.

Den

DenImage wrote:

Mentt wrote:

I own a Sigma 8mm fisheye lens, the Tamron 28-75mm and two Voigtlander lenses (which are all perfect).

Anyway, I've ordered another Sony/Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8 (I've owned one previously), it should be here early next week.

Den

Comment was mainly about problematic Rokinon lenses

Sony FE 35mm F1.8

Mentt wrote:

DenImage wrote:

Mentt wrote:

Den

"Mentt wrote:

Just buy original Sony lenses, save your self money and disappointment"

:

Your post was clearly stating "Just buy original Sony lenses" not any other brand.

Den

DenImage wrote:

Mentt wrote:

DenImage wrote:

Mentt wrote:

Den

"Mentt wrote:

:

Your post was clearly stating "Just buy original Sony lenses" not any other brand.

Den

Seems like you should relax, there are more important things in life

But yes, in general I would go with Sony lenses over any non Sony lenses  as it is more likely that  there won't be any issues. Usually non Sony lenses have slower AF(Sigma) and so on...

Sony FE 35mm F1.8

Mentt wrote:

DenImage wrote:

Mentt wrote:

DenImage wrote:

Mentt wrote:

Den

"Mentt wrote:

:

Den

But yes, in general I would go with Sony lenses over any non Sony lenses as it is more likely that there won't be any issues. Usually non Sony lenses have slower AF(Sigma) and so on...

Lol, relax???

Why, just because I disputed your misleading statement to "Just buy original Sony lenses, save your self money and disappointment"?

As I posted earlier a lot of Non Sony brand lenses work perfectly (Zeiss, Tamron Voigtlander...). I don't find them disappointing or a waste of money.

Den

DenImage wrote:

Mentt wrote:

DenImage wrote:

Mentt wrote:

DenImage wrote:

Mentt wrote:

Den

"Mentt wrote:

:

Den

But yes, in general I would go with Sony lenses over any non Sony lenses as it is more likely that there won't be any issues. Usually non Sony lenses have slower AF(Sigma) and so on...

Lol, relax???

Why, just because I disputed your misleading statement to "Just buy original Sony lenses, save your self money and disappointment"?

As I posted earlier a lot of Non Sony brand lenses work perfectly (Zeiss, Tamron Voigtlander...). I don't find them disappointing or a waste of money.

Den

Had Zeiss batis 40 mm and even after firmware update eye AF wasn't reliable.  And for example AF of the Sigma 50mm is slower that AF of the Sony lenses for sure...

Sony FE 35mm F1.8
thiefofpresence

DenImage wrote:

The problem I have with Sony Sonnar 1.8/55 is that its not really "normal" to me. The AOV of 55 is alarmingly closer to the AOV of 85.

WIth AF prime bookends of 25 and 85, 40 is the perfect bisector, and 45 would have been nicely close to that.

I'm torn about Sony Sonnar because I know it is one of the greatest lenses ever, but I need the Sony 1.8/40 that is just as good or better. I should probably not hold my breath for that.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7iii | Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21/4 Pancake; Zeiss Batis 2/25; Sony FE 1.8/85 | Sony FE 4/24-105 G OSS; Sony FE 4/70-200 G; Sigma 150-600 C

Sony a7 III Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +4 more
Mike Fouc Regular Member • Posts: 312

The FE55 is my favorite lens (size, speed, sharpness, consistency), but I also have the CV21/3.5 and Sony 85/1.8 and a 45 would certainly gap well for a light travel setup. Whatever lens sits between the21 and 85, though, gets the most use for me, so it has to be a really good lens to justify that position, which is why I’m unlikely to replace the 55. The Batis 40 is just too big for me to consider for this purpose. I’d do Tamron 28-75 plus CV21 before doing a three lens Batis just because the size advantage of the Batis isn’t that great over a zoom.

Mike Fouc's gear list:Mike Fouc's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +8 more
thiefofpresence
"Normal"

Mike Fouc wrote:

The FE55 is my favorite lens (size, speed, sharpness, consistency), but I also have the CV21/3.5 and Sony 85/1.8 and a 45 would certainly gap well for a light travel setup. Whatever lens sits between the21 and 85, though, gets the most use for me, so it has to be a really good lens to justify that position, which is why I’m unlikely to replace the 55. The Batis 40 is just too big for me to consider for this purpose. I’d do Tamron 28-75 plus CV21 before doing a three lens Batis just because the size advantage of the Batis isn’t that great over a zoom.

Here are some scenarios to make the case:

This is 24 / 55 / 85. For my taste, 55 is just way too much closer to 85 to serve the role of "normal"

Then there are the two ideal cases, depending on whether 25 or 21 is your wide angle bookend:

21 / 35 / 85

and

24 / 40 / 85

And yes, I know what you mean, I really haven't found and AF 40mm lens that I love.

I hope that Sony might deliver the famously missing 35-ish 1.8 lens as a 40.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7iii | Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21/4 Pancake; Zeiss Batis 2/25; Rokinon AF 45/1.8; Sony FE 1.8/85 | Sony FE 4/24-105 G OSS; Sony FE 4/70-200 G; Sigma 150-600 C

thiefofpresence wrote:

DenImage wrote:

The problem I have with Sony Sonnar 1.8/55 is that its not really "normal" to me. The AOV of 55 is alarmingly closer to the AOV of 85.

WIth AF prime bookends of 25 and 85, 40 is the perfect bisector, and 45 would have been nicely close to that.

I'm torn about Sony Sonnar because I know it is one of the greatest lenses ever, but I need the Sony 1.8/40 that is just as good or better. I should probably not hold my breath for that.

I would also love Sony 1.8/40mm

Sony FE 35mm F1.8
richpjr Regular Member • Posts: 313

I was very interested in reading feedback on this lens as I would love something this size and in this ballpark for focal length as a lightweight walk around lens.  But with the focus problems, I am now trying to decide if I should order it and hope for a firmware fix or look at something else.  The 55 is just a touch long for me.

richpjr's gear list:richpjr's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads