DA*300 F4 as a backyard butterfly lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
manual_focus Senior Member • Posts: 1,259
DA*300 F4 as a backyard butterfly lens

I generally use this lens to shoot backyard birds, but one day this butterfly settled down to walk around this flower allowing me to shoot it at from multiple viewpoints. Very impressed with the overall IQ from this lens.

Enjoy.

American Lady butterfly. With the K5iiS it's a bit of a trick to get close-up steady shots with effectively a 450mm lens. The in-body stablizations works.

I never realized how hairy its back is until I looked at this image up-close.

The web-like markings with the two blueish circles on the lower back wing are indicative of the American Lady butterfly. This lens gives a 3-dimensionality to the web-like markings.

Best viewed at original size.

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,836
Re: DA*300 F4 as a backyard butterfly lens

Very nice catches.

Joe

Walt_A Senior Member • Posts: 2,097

It's a good general wildlife lens as you've shown here and in your backyard birds thread. I use it as a general walkaround wildlife lens, for animals, birds, butterflies and dragonflies. It is a shame that Pentax don't recognise it's usefulness in capturing butterflies and dragonflies by providing us with auto extension tubes. I have some old extension tubes that pass aperture info and a 25mm extension tube that also works with AF (however it's not very well built), these help for butterflies and dragonflies. An AF set from Pentax would make a good lens great, IMHO.

Nicols Contributing Member • Posts: 861

Nice shots.

I am using it too for bigger butterflies and dragonflies. very good working distance

To get a little closer I add the Tokina 0,4 diopter achromat close up lens. Reduces the distance to about 0,8 meters, and gets scale up from 0,26 to 0,37 (0,36 to 0,52 when combined with a 1.4 TC).

Maximum working distance with de Close up lens is 2,5m.

Works great.

Best regards

Klaus

Nicols's gear list:Nicols's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +16 more
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 1,219

Walt_A wrote:

It's a good general wildlife lens as you've shown here and in your backyard birds thread. I use it as a general walkaround wildlife lens, for animals, birds, butterflies and dragonflies. It is a shame that Pentax don't recognise it's usefulness in capturing butterflies and dragonflies by providing us with auto extension tubes. I have some old extension tubes that pass aperture info and a 25mm extension tube that also works with AF (however it's not very well built), these help for butterflies and dragonflies. An AF set from Pentax would make a good lens great, IMHO.

Indeed, in the old days when Pentax were Pentax would have made such equipment. I see 3rd party ones for other brands for sale but not Pentax.

I'd love to get AF tubes for my F*300 f4.5 as the minimum focus distance is 2 metres. Stellar lens but the DA* 300 has a shorter minimum distance.

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Nicols Contributing Member • Posts: 861

Oiche wrote:

I'd love to get AF tubes for my F*300 f4.5 as the minimum focus distance is 2 metres. Stellar lens but the DA* 300 has a shorter minimum distance.

You could try AF tele converters (increases scale at same minimum distance) and close up lenses (reduces minimum distance).

Both are maintain all AF and measuring functions.

I find the 0,4x achromatic close up lens from Tokina very useful. And the AF 1.4 TC and autofocusing 1.7 TC from Pentax are good if you need more scale.

Cheers

Klaus

Nicols's gear list:Nicols's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +16 more
Rahto Contributing Member • Posts: 888

A full frame 1.4x converter to go with those auto extension tubes would be nice.

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +50 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads