Epson 3880 Platen Gap

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
fft81 Contributing Member • Posts: 978
Epson 3880 Platen Gap

Greetings and Salutations.

Been a long while since my last post.

I got a question about epson 3880 platen gap setting in a linux driver. The driver lets me choose a number between none and 255. What i would like to know is: what numbers correspond to narrow, normal, wide and wider. The windows driver had non-numerical choices like "wide" and the media i am using calls out windows driver setting: "wide".

Thanks ahead.

ColourPhil
ColourPhil Regular Member • Posts: 189
Re: Epson 3880 Platen Gap

fft81 wrote:

Greetings and Salutations.

Been a long while since my last post.

I got a question about epson 3880 platen gap setting in a linux driver. The driver lets me choose a number between none and 255. What i would like to know is: what numbers correspond to narrow, normal, wide and wider. The windows driver had non-numerical choices like "wide" and the media i am using calls out windows driver setting: "wide".

Thanks ahead.

Hi,

You can adjust the platen gap with the printer's control panel: 'Custom Paper'.

I find this useful when using a non-Epson driver, ie Quadtone RIP.

Cheers,

Phil

-- hide signature --
 ColourPhil's gear list:ColourPhil's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax KP Epson Stylus Pro 3880
OP fft81 Contributing Member • Posts: 978

I am on linux and am using linux driver. The choices i have for platen gap are: none, 0-255.

I need to try to figure out what number correlates to windos choices like normal, wide and wider.

ColourPhil

fft81 wrote:

I am on linux and am using linux driver. The choices i have for platen gap are: none, 0-255.

I need to try to figure out what number correlates to windos choices like normal, wide and wider.

Hi,

I appreciate that, but I'm referring to the hardware control panel on the front top of the actual printer!

Cheers,

Phil

-- hide signature --
OP fft81 Contributing Member • Posts: 978

ColourPhil wrote:

fft81 wrote:

Hi,

I appreciate that, but I'm referring to the hardware control panel on the front top of the actual printer!

Cheers,

Phil

But wouldn't the driver setting overwrite it? May be if i select "None" in the driver the one set in printer will stay? Don't know... I guess I'll just have to play with it.

ColourPhil

fft81 wrote:

ColourPhil wrote:

fft81 wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Phil

But wouldn't the driver setting overwrite it? May be if i select "None" in the driver the one set in printer will stay? Don't know... I guess I'll just have to play with it.

On my 3880 I set the Platen gap on the actual printer, and in the Epson (Mac) driver I leave it alone. This way when printing B&W I use QuadTone RIP, which doesn't have this adjustment and has its own driver, I'm OK. Most of the time I'm using the regular Epson driver from Capture One, etc., sometimes with thicker paper, and it seems OK. I do, of course, need to select the appropriate 'Custom Paper' on the printer.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads