Return of my cleaned P1000, a night heron and CRRC Qishuyan

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Booted Cat Regular Member • Posts: 387
Return of my cleaned P1000, a night heron and CRRC Qishuyan

Return of my cleaned P1000

On Tuesday Nikon Shanghai Service Center said they cleaned my P1000 lens, no problem could be detected anymore and they were "shipping it back". So I supposed it would return to me on Wednesday. On Wednesday evening I called them again and they said it would ship on Thursday. Today (Friday) it finally returned to me. Why the 2-day delay of shipping? I have a little conspiracy theory: Nikon Shanghai actually requested a new lens from Japan, and it took 2 days for the news lens to ship from Japan to Shanghai.

I didn't examine the returned P1000's lens, because I was afraid that the lens passed Nikon's tests but might not pass my "dark-room flashlight inspection".

I put my new Nikon NC Filter on the returned P1000. The filter and its plastic casing were washed with distilled bottled water, and then the filter was put into the casing which in turn was put in a drawer where they dried natually. Today I took the filter into a dark room and examined it with a flashlight. Yes, the "natural drying" approach worked.

A night heron

Then I took the camera to Dongpo Park and shot a night heron several times, and the shot with the sharpest iris was picked:

P1000 + Nikon NC Filter, 3000mm FL, Program Mode, ISO forced to 100.

CRRC Qishuyan

Then I went to CRRC Qishuyan Co., Ltd., one of the major diesel locomotive manufacturers in China, and took some handheld shots:

HXN 50089, a HXN5 diesel locomotive.

GKD2 7001, an aged locomotive.

"Armed Uprising Monument", a monument surrected in front of the company's main gate, commemorating a 1927 workers' armed uprising against a "reactive warlord".

The company's main gate.

Thank you for viewing.

Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 9,456
Re: Return of my cleaned P1000, a night heron and CRRC Qishuyan

To me, the lens seems perfect!

Happy shooting my friend,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,248

The lens looks really great to me too!  Whether the same lens or a different one, it looks perfect!

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +13 more
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 7,270

Glad you have the P1000 back, nice work!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
Bestpix Photography Regular Member • Posts: 271

Great pics, nice and sharp

Bestpix Photography's gear list:Bestpix Photography's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P1000
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,396

..Super congrats on getting your P1000 camera back!

..and the Nikon NC filter pictures looks really good, and nice details..

..perhaps it is the late afternoon light, the photos have a nice classic look..

..(screen capture for close-up look).. nice details!

..looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful pictures!

..thanks for sharing & happy shooting..

..Cheers, John..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX70
OP Booted Cat Regular Member • Posts: 387

jshen808 wrote:

..Super congrats on getting your P1000 camera back!

Thank you and long live Nikon Shanghai Service Center!

..and the Nikon NC filter pictures looks really good, and nice details..

It should be noted that all these CRRC Qishuyan shots were handheld and not intended for sharpness evaluation at 100% zoom. If any of them happened to be sharp, it was good luck.

..perhaps it is the late afternoon light, the photos have a nice classic look..

..(screen capture for close-up look).. nice details!

..looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful pictures!

..Cheers, John..

Closing remarks: The only winning move is not to wipe

The camera with the Nikon NC Filter is indeed sharp

Looks like my P1000 lens trouble has come to an end. The camera with the Nikon NC Filter is indeed sharp, as the night heron's pupil in the following crop is a sharp black circle:

100% crop of the night heron's eye.

I probably wiped the lens with distilled water too gently

I probably wiped the lens with distilled water too gently so the lens cleaning fluid was not effectively removed from the lens. Actually, that was not lens cleaning fluid - the title on the cleaning fluid's bottle read "LCD Screen Cleaner", and I threw it into a trash bin.

The only winning move is not to wipe

If you wipe too gently (with distilled water), you may not effectively remove lens cleaning fluid from the lens; if you wipe too hard, you risk making scratches. So, still, the only winning move is not to wipe. Always wear an advanced clear filter.

Booted Cat wrote:

Return of my cleaned P1000

On Tuesday Nikon Shanghai Service Center said they cleaned my P1000 lens, no problem could be detected anymore and they were "shipping it back". So I supposed it would return to me on Wednesday. On Wednesday evening I called them again and they said it would ship on Thursday. Today (Friday) it finally returned to me. Why the 2-day delay of shipping? I have a little conspiracy theory: Nikon Shanghai actually requested a new lens from Japan, and it took 2 days for the news lens to ship from Japan to Shanghai.

I didn't examine the returned P1000's lens, because I was afraid that the lens passed Nikon's tests but might not pass my "dark-room flashlight inspection".

I put my new Nikon NC Filter on the returned P1000. The filter and its plastic casing were washed with distilled bottled water, and then the filter was put into the casing which in turn was put in a drawer where they dried natually. Today I took the filter into a dark room and examined it with a flashlight. Yes, the "natural drying" approach worked.

A night heron

Then I took the camera to Dongpo Park and shot a night heron several times, and the shot with the sharpest iris was picked:

P1000 + Nikon NC Filter, 3000mm FL, Program Mode, ISO forced to 100.

CRRC Qishuyan

Then I went to CRRC Qishuyan Co., Ltd., one of the major diesel locomotive manufacturers in China, and took some handheld shots:

HXN 50089, a HXN5 diesel locomotive.

GKD2 7001, an aged locomotive.

"Armed Uprising Monument", a monument surrected in front of the company's main gate, commemorating a 1927 workers' armed uprising against a "reactive warlord".

The company's main gate.

Thank you for viewing.

jshen808
Re: Closing remarks: The only winning move is not to wipe

Booted Cat wrote:

..my P1000 lens trouble has come to an end.. the Nikon NC Filter is indeed sharp..

..in the way Nikon may say, "Bonsai!"

..that's an incredible & amazing picture of the eye & iris..

..glad to hear everything is now a success, with the Nikon NC lens filter on your lens, there's no need to ever remove it..

..so no more worries about having to clean the "front element" ever again..

..thanks for sharing all the experiences you went through..

..Cheers, John..

Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX70

jshen808 wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

..my P1000 lens trouble has come to an end.. the Nikon NC Filter is indeed sharp..

Or "Banzai"? 

..glad to hear everything is now a success, with the Nikon NC lens filter on your lens, there's no need to ever remove it..

..Cheers, John..

jshen808

Booted Cat wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

Or "Banzai"?

..Cheers, John..

..Lol's, you're right..

..it's "Banzai!"

..Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads