Purchasing a Travel Lens

Started 3 months ago | Questions
JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 5,526
Re: Huh?

HRC2016 is right, even if a little more blunt than necessary ...

As your composition skills improve, you may well find that you use intermediate FLs considerably more often. With my 12-100, I find that I use intermediate FLs about 40-70% of the time. Ditto with my many other zooms.

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +28 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,374
Olympus 14-150mm II includes a lens hood

Falcon04 wrote:

Regarding some of the comments here and in other threads about the Oly 14-150 II vs. the Pan 14-140 II, one of the big drivers that had me leaning toward the Pan originally was the fact that when purchased, its a whole package (lens, hood, storage bag, etc...), whereas with the Oly, the additional items are upsell items driving the price upward (albeit not tremendously). In terms of value, the Pan wins.

The Olympus 14-150mm II includes a lens hood.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,079
Re: Easy choice, get the Olympus 14-150mm

I second you 100%

M.10.2 + 9-18. + 14-150ii is the ultimate travel kit, in moderate budget mode.

-- hide signature --

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
rashid7
rashid7 Senior Member • Posts: 3,866
Re: Purchasing a Travel Lens

"Some people that love to shoot brick walls and such, claim the Panasonic 14-140mm is a tad sharper than the Olympus 14-150mm lens"

Actually, a clear majority who have chipped-in over the years  on this comparison favor the 14-140.  That is not to say that the Oly is bad, nor to forget that cop-to-copy variation may factor in.  YMMV

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

rashid7
rashid7 Senior Member • Posts: 3,866

I've owned 2 copies of the 14-140ii, and they were excellent... especially considering the size.  Since u own EM10, u would do fine with the 14-150, which also fills the bill for a small "swiss army knife".  That and something wide?  And a f1.7/1.8 prime?

BtW, I love the samyang/rokikon fisheyes.  They are tiny, sharp, affordable.  The lack of AF is not an issue w/ such a wide lens.  It is so wide that u can use software to straighten out the sides and still be wider than the 7-14

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

rashid7 wrote:

"Some people that love to shoot brick walls and such, claim the Panasonic 14-140mm is a tad sharper than the Olympus 14-150mm lens"

Actually, a clear majority who have chipped-in over the years on this comparison favor the 14-140. That is not to say that the Oly is bad, nor to forget that cop-to-copy variation may factor in. YMMV

My experience shows the opposite, with the Oly 14-150ii being a tad sharper than Panasonic's 14-140, especially at the long end.

But what makes me prefer olympus is the overall build quality and feeling of the lens. Although a premium kit and not a professional grade zoom lens, it well built, tight and not having an internal IS system makes it tinier than Panasonic, whilst a bit longer.

I think iot's a matter of preferences.

Same applies for the Oly 12-40 pro vs PL 12-60, I own both and prefer the build quality of the olympus pro...

-- hide signature --

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
OP Falcon04 New Member • Posts: 13

Felice62 wrote:

rashid7 wrote:

Actually, a clear majority who have chipped-in over the years on this comparison favor the 14-140. That is not to say that the Oly is bad, nor to forget that cop-to-copy variation may factor in. YMMV

My experience shows the opposite, with the Oly 14-150ii being a tad sharper than Panasonic's 14-140, especially at the long end.

But what makes me prefer olympus is the overall build quality and feeling of the lens. Although a premium kit and not a professional grade zoom lens, it well built, tight and not having an internal IS system makes it tinier than Panasonic, whilst a bit longer.

Same applies for the Oly 12-40 pro vs PL 12-60, I own both and prefer the build quality of the olympus pro...

All things being equal, I think I've eliminated the used PL 12-60 for the time being.

Between the Pan 14-140ii & Oly 14-150ii. Is the absence of 10mm on the Pan's long end made up for by it's faster f/3.6 on the short end when compared to the Oly?

Falcon04's gear list:Falcon04's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
bluevellet Senior Member • Posts: 2,958

Falcon04 wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

rashid7 wrote:

All things being equal, I think I've eliminated the used PL 12-60 for the time being.

Between the Pan 14-140ii & Oly 14-150ii. Is the absence of 10mm on the Pan's long end made up for by it's faster f/3.6 on the short end when compared to the Oly?

Personally I'd choose speed over a little extra reach.

But...

At the wide end, something like a 1/3 of a stop doesn't make much a difference in terms of subject separation.

I think light gathering is more significant, but it depends how good each lens is at light transmission (t stops). That I don't know, but I suspect the Panny gathers more light to the sensor than the Oly.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +16 more
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,993

Based on description of your shooting preferences and your gallery you will be better with PL 12-60

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,097

I like and use the 12-60mm f3.5 kit lens but use it with the G80 (and GF7/GM5) especially for city work where the 12mm end makes a big difference compared to the 14-140mm. I do get the benefit of dual-IS so feel the Leica f2.8 12-60mm simply isn't worth it and it's too big/heavy.

For more general walkabout the 14-140mm is the no brainer choice with Panasonics, again you have dual-IS. If I were buying now, I'd certainly get the latest model with weather-sealing.

The latest 100-300mm also has dual -IS and, now, weather-sealing. I had the 100-300mm and upgraded to the 100-400mm. As a travel lens, the100mm minimum is way too long. And, for wildlife, 300mm can be too short.

You do not say what your preferred travel subject matter is or if you take two bodies. I always take 2 bodies: 7-14mm on the GF7 and 14-140 on the GM5 or G80; plus 20mm f1.7 and, maybe, Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye or 12-60mm depending on the destination.

In Olympus speak, 2 bodies with 9-18mm and 14-150mm would be a great combination if city work is included. Just the 14-140 or 14-150 for a general walkabout.

See my Flickr Albums for images by/using each lens.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +3 more
phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,230
Re: Huh?

HRC2016 wrote:

No, you're way off base.

Why do you think limited data on what you've already shot would guide you in your future photography?

If you own nothing above 300 mm now then you won't have any pictures at those FL.

You might as well not drive a car in the futire because you spent a long time riding a bike.

This theory is hokum.

Falcon04 wrote:

Thank you all for the honest thoughts and opinions. After I got home this evening, I analyzed my photos and yielded the following results:

Focal Lengths / Percentage

14-60mm / 84%

61-100mm / 3%

>100mm / 13%

I didn't realize that I primarily shot at 60mm or below, with the majority coming from the 42mm or less range (which corresponds to my 14-42mm kit lens). My 40-150 I either shot short or long, with not much in between.

So for the purposes of my intended purchase, this data appears to be pointing toward the used PL 12-60 ($629) or having me sit and wait for a good deal on the Oly 12-40 Pro... (with a trade-in, new from Olympus would be $700).

Regarding some of the comments here and in other threads about the Oly 14-150 II vs. the Pan 14-140 II, one of the big drivers that had me leaning toward the Pan originally was the fact that when purchased, its a whole package (lens, hood, storage bag, etc...), whereas with the Oly, the additional items are upsell items driving the price upward (albeit not tremendously). In terms of value, the Pan wins.

Am I heading in the right direction with my analysis?

So, he should just give up? sheesh.

To the OP. Yes, you are headed in the right direction. What I think the hillary dude is trying to say that the lenses you own bias your shooting. But still, you can draw some conclusions from your use. In that vein, the 12-60mm makes sense. Personally, I'd stretch for the 12-100 if you found that you did shoot a fair percentage over 60mm.

By the way, I would do a bit deeper dive on your photos. Go though and pick out about 100 of your best shots and look at the FLs on those. The results may surprise you. Just because you shot at 100mm doesn't mean much if they all turned out to be uninteresting.

My experience with about 10 transatlantic trips with M43 gear (2 bodies, 3-4 lenses) is that the range 10-20mm is where my best travel shots get taken. I often carried a panny 35-100mm but really didn't use it that much. Even when it was mounted on one of the bodies.

geepondy Senior Member • Posts: 2,195
In a similar situation

I was in a similar boat as you in that I bought the Panasonic GX9 with the kit 12-60 f3.5-5.6 lens and then went out and purchased a Panny 40-150 lens.  In my nature walks and such I got sick of swapping lens and purchased the Panny 14-140 lens.  This lens now sits on my camera most of the time but there are times when I missed the wider angle and so swap back on the Panny 12-60.  That extra 2mm makes quite a difference.

So in looking at your lens collection, Yes I think you would be happy with the Oly- 14-150 but if I was in your shoes and had no lens wider than 14mm I would somehow want to acquire one that was but between the 12-60 and either Olympus 14-150 or Panny 14-140, if I could only have one, I would begrudgingly pick the 14-140, 14-150.

I wonder how the little inexpensive Panny 12-32 collapsible works on an Olympus?  That might be an acceptable backup lens if choosing either the 14-140 or 14-150.

Falcon04 wrote:

Good afternoon. I am currently living in Europe thanks to my job and have been doing a significant amount of traveling as a result. I'm in the market for a new lens and after reviewing a number of prior threads, I wanted to ask for thoughts with my specifics:

I am not a pro. I own an Olympus E-M10 Mark II and have the 14-42mm II R (f/3.5-5.6) kit lens, a 40-150mm (f/4-5.6) kit lense and a Pany 20mm f/1.7 (v2). On a recent trip, I got tired of swapping lenses based off what I was trying to capture. I'm looking for an all-around lens to capture my family and the places we visit in our travels. My budget is approximately $650.

I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

A. Oly 14-150mm II (f/4-5.6) $599 [New]

B. Pany 14-140 II (f/3.5-5.6) $597 [New]

C. PL 12-60 (f/2.8-4) $629 [Used]

Of these, I've been leaning toward the Pany 14-140 II; but then I came across the used PL 12-60, which is appealing due to the extra 2mm on the wide end, and better aperture across the entire zoom range.

For my general travels, do I substantially gain anything by choosing the PL over the Pany?

geepondy's gear list:geepondy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G7 X II

Falcon04 wrote:

It's mainly a design goal not a specific result. Oly has a straigh 10X focal multiplier whereas Oly went for a 10.7..

The extra 1/3 stop @ 14mm has little, if none, advantage IMHO

Consider that Oly IBIS is very very very good. The M10.2 is a little gem and a joy to use.

If you can, see both lenses and choose the one that you like the most as I really believe none of them really outperforms the other. Also,  copy variation may invalidate any Lab test about sharpness, astigmatism, coma....

-- hide signature --

1943Mike
1943Mike Regular Member • Posts: 259

mwhyte said:

"I might recommend waiting a few months, saving a little bit more money and perhaps going for the new Olympus 12 - 200mm lens ($899.00).

For just a few hundred more you would get an equivalent 24-400mm of reach which cover almost all shooting needs."

+1

To my way of thinking the main drawback would be the speed of the lens at any aperture other than 12mm. At 12mm it's f/3.5 which is what I would probably use if photographing the interiors of cathedrals and other edifices - so no problem there. I don't usually shoot urban sunsets/sunrises or night scenes so, if that's important to you then the 12-200 is probably not for you. If, however, you normally shoot with plenty of available light, then I'd seriously consider saving up a little more for it.

-- hide signature --

1943Mike

1943Mike's gear list:1943Mike's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,754

Last year I bought the Olympus 12-100mm f/4 IS Pro lens for travel. It covers all the range that is needed for travel unless there is wildlife photography involved with small critters. Look at your own travel pictures and see how often you needed something longer than 100mm (of full frame 200mm). It is not "light" at 20 ounces except if one considers its zoom range makes it a viable replacement for having the 12-40mm f/2.8 AND the 40-150mm f/2.8 lens on a trip.

With Olympus lenses the IS works in tandem with the IS of newer Olympus cameras and you get an additive effect in terms of f-stops of optical stabilization gain. I also have the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 and 40-150mm f/2.8 and have been very impressed by the IQ from these zoom lenses and their autofocus performance and build quality.

-- hide signature --

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed. -- Herman Melville

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads