How much of an upgrade is the D7500 from D3400 ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
AyanA New Member • Posts: 11
How much of an upgrade is the D7500 from D3400 ?

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time reader of dpreview but this is my 1st post. I started my photography in jan 2018 with a D3400 and 18-140 kit, the thought was to learn and then upgrade. I love bird phitography, so along the way I bought Nikon 70-300Af-p dx ed vr(new) and the Tamron 150-600mm G1(used)

Now after learning a fair amount of photography, I feel my equipments are holding me back. The iso (good upto only 800), buffer, frame rate (5fps), slow focusing, shaprness is really troubling me. Hence the plan of D7500.

My concerns are,

1. Will the D7500 help me get better picture in those aspects (Iso performence, Sharpness & Af speed-accuracy) ?
  2. The AF speed of my current go to combo (3400+tammy G1) is very slow, will the D7500 improve this ?
  3. I have plans for Nikon 200-500 f5.6 next year. Will it be a better partner to the body then the current Tammy G1 ?(Sharpness, Af speed & accuracy)

Note:

1. Shoot mostly at 600mm, though I wont mind the 100mm drop of Nikon 200-500 if the performence is good.
  2. In my state (India-W.B.) d7500 and D7200 costs almost same, and D500 is double the price (all body only). So d7500 is my best bet in terms of price.

I belive more in real world experience than spec sheet thus Im asking you gyes. It will be great to hear from actual users.

Thanks a lot in advance. "Namaste" from India.

Www.instagram.com/ayans_lens

Nikon D3 Nikon D3400 Nikon D500 Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Labe
Labe Veteran Member • Posts: 9,812
Re: How much of an upgrade is the D7500 from D3400 ?

Welcome,

as far as image quality you won’t get a great deal of improvement real world as they are so very close in performance.

Where you see improvement is AF speed , AF points available. Deeper buffer, more frame per second.

A much better viewfinder and control layout.

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Olympus E-M1 Sony a5000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Swift One Regular Member • Posts: 389

As just said, overall image quality is going to be the same.  However, you have a chance to "improve" your image quality...so to speak.. because of the features that you will gain with the 7500.  A much better AF system means more keeper shots.  AF Fine Tune means a sharper lens, which would mean more keeper shots.  This was a big deal for me with my Nikon 50 1.8 moving from the 5300 to the 7500.  My 50 was not so hot on the 5300.  It's very sharp on my 7500 after I did the AF fine tune.

When you upgrade from one DX to another, its generally because of features on the upgrade that make life a bit easier.  I would assume that the upgrade to a 7500/ 500 would make bird photography better because of the buffer rate and faster AF.  The gain of more external controls on the 7200, 7500, and 500 means less menu diving and more focus on what you are shooting.  U1 and U2 (custom user settings) have been a great thing for me.  I miss my fully articulating screen on the 5300.  That slight loss of MP on the 7500 compared to the 5300 has not been an issue at all.  I just printed a 30"x40" canvas for a client that looked outstanding.

It's about gaining features when you move from one camera to the next when you stay in DX.

Swift One's gear list:Swift One's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165

AyanA wrote:

My concerns are,

1. Will the D7500 help me get better picture in those aspects (Iso performence, Sharpness & Af speed-accuracy) ?

ISO, not noticeably. Sharpness yes due to better AF, AF speed/accuracy yes and try AF fine tune.

1. The AF speed of my current go to combo (3400+tammy G1) is very slow, will the D7500 improve this ?

Yes

1. I have plans for Nikon 200-500 f5.6 next year. Will it be a better partner to the body then the current Tammy G1 ?(Sharpness, Af speed & accuracy)

Perhaps not, but the D7500 is a better partner for the Tamron 150-600. I use a D7500 with a Tamron 150-600 G1 and performance is fine for me.

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
OP AyanA New Member • Posts: 11

Labe wrote:

Welcome,

as far as image quality you won’t get a great deal of improvement real world as they are so very close in performance.

Where you see improvement is AF speed , AF points available. Deeper buffer, more frame per second.

A much better viewfinder and control layout.

This is the thing, that I think these test results are done in controlled lab. So in that case results are almost similer. I also agree that given a controlled condition these cameras might give similar image quality

But in real world, say if I m taking a BIF image, the AF system in the cameras may or may not keep up, so the results will varry. Then the sensor is not responsible for the unsharp image, but the AF system is.

Thats my point. Thanks for your reply though

So I think

Swift One wrote:

As just said, overall image quality is going to be the same. However, you have a chance to "improve" your image quality...so to speak.. because of the features that you will gain with the 7500. A much better AF system means more keeper shots. AF Fine Tune means a sharper lens, which would mean more keeper shots. This was a big deal for me with my Nikon 50 1.8 moving from the 5300 to the 7500. My 50 was not so hot on the 5300. It's very sharp on my 7500 after I did the AF fine tune.

When you upgrade from one DX to another, its generally because of features on the upgrade that make life a bit easier. I would assume that the upgrade to a 7500/ 500 would make bird photography better because of the buffer rate and faster AF. The gain of more external controls on the 7200, 7500, and 500 means less menu diving and more focus on what you are shooting. U1 and U2 (custom user settings) have been a great thing for me. I miss my fully articulating screen on the 5300. That slight loss of MP on the 7500 compared to the 5300 has not been an issue at all. I just printed a 30"x40" canvas for a client that looked outstanding.

It's about gaining features when you move from one camera to the next when you stay in DX.

Some really good points. Its said that in case of wildlife, you have 3 sec to get your shot, A well built camera not only gives you the oppertunity to seize that 3 sec (Precise AF, Good Dynamic Range) but also to stretches that (5 fps/8 fps/10 fps/12 fps)

Fine tuining is a good feature to have. Its like having my option open if needed. In that context, since you have done fine tuining, I know It helps in focus accuracy, but does it help in terms of focus speed ?

I m concerned about the slow AF speed in my Tammy 150-600 G1, Man, it has made me miss SOME shots..!! Or is it just my camera's AF module, not capable enough to run a "third-party, Super-telephoto, BIG lens" ??

David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 10,938
Approximately 4,100

Hotspurr
Hotspurr Junior Member • Posts: 48

I recently upgraded from D3500 to D7500.

The difference in experience is dramatic. The D7500 gives better shots in low light (noticeably) and the noise pattern is different so it is more easily removed. The AF is great for BIF (group AF is my fav).

It's really a no brainier upgrade for bird photography, especially with the extra fps. I use a sigma 150-600 and I'm usually at 600mm. After getting the D7500 my keeper number skyrocketed. You'll also appreciate the grip and being able to handle a large lens on this camera.

Don't waste your money on the 200-500. Your lens is fine unless you're going to be printing huge posters or cropping aggressively.

CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,245

I went from the D5600 (a very nice camera, and a bit newer than the 3400) to the D7500 and I found a huge difference in my ability to shoot BIFS with larger lenses. The D7500 has better and quicker AF, it has a bigger buffer, and it has the Group AF which is also on the D500, and I've found this setting excellent for BIFS. The D7500 has a bigger range of settings than the D5xxx and D3xxx cameras, and a lot of the important ones are quickly accessible on the top and back of the camera so you don't have to go into menus. The LCD screen is is really good, and I like the tilt capability of it for some shooting situations.  Better high ISO performance too.

I debated between the D500 and D7500 but I couldn't justify the extra cost of the D500. There are many similar features on both cameras, and I've found the D7500 to be fantastic, and its 8fps is plenty fast and I usually shoot at the slower rate anyway. The AF system grabs focus very quickly and I can keep focus easily as I follow a bird. I really like everything about this camera, it's wonderful. I also liked having a built-in flash....the D7500 has it, but the D500 does not and that was an important thing for me and I wanted to have that in-camera flash capability when I wanted it.  Here is a great evaluation of the D7500 from Thom Hogan.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d7500-camera-review.html

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +13 more
Swift One Regular Member • Posts: 389

AyanA wrote:

Some really good points. Its said that in case of wildlife, you have 3 sec to get your shot, A well built camera not only gives you the oppertunity to seize that 3 sec (Precise AF, Good Dynamic Range) but also to stretches that (5 fps/8 fps/10 fps/12 fps)

Fine tuining is a good feature to have. Its like having my option open if needed. In that context, since you have done fine tuining, I know It helps in focus accuracy, but does it help in terms of focus speed ?

AF fine tune is designed to address front focus and back focus issues.  The speed of AF is determined by the camera (sensors) and the lens.  My Tokina 100mm 2.8 is not a super fast focusing lens (It's designed for macro).  My Nikon 85 1.8 is (at least IMO) pretty fast a focusing.  My 7500 is more quick on the focus than my 5300 is with all of my lenses- especially in lower light.

I m concerned about the slow AF speed in my Tammy 150-600 G1, Man, it has made me miss SOME shots..!! Or is it just my camera's AF module, not capable enough to run a "third-party, Super-telephoto, BIG lens" ??

I have no experience with super zooms.  I would imaging though, because overall its has an overall and constant aperture, that it may be faster.  Remember, a lot of wildlife photographers seem to like the DX format because of the crop factor.  So I am sure that a quality super zoom is going to do fine on DX bodies like the 7500/ 500.

Swift One's gear list:Swift One's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
Razor512
Razor512 Regular Member • Posts: 224

The D7500 while slightly lower resolution, it will offer noticeably better image quality, especially if you do a lot of post processing of wildlife photos. Since the need for higher shutter speeds can have you using higher ISO, the D7500 can be pushed to higher ISOs without getting many difficult to fix artifacts. In good lighting and low ISO, you likely will not notice much of any difference unless you pixel peep.

Other benefits:

• Much improved AF system that is faster and more accurate, especially in lower light conditions.
  • Ability to use AF-Fine tune to improve accuracy.
  • Better subject tracking.
  • If you use or plan to use a speed light or studio strobe, the D7500 has fer better support for strobes. The 3000 and 5000 series Nikon cameras do not support high speed sync (software/ firmware artificial limit), thus you will be limited to 1/200s which can mean that outdoor speed light use during the day time may not work out for you.

While DXO mark can show small improvements to SNR, dynamic range, and tonal range, it doesn't quite show the differences between cameras in less than ideal situations, such as if you need to photograph something at ISO 1600-3200 and then do some post processing on it, and not get weird noise artifacts.

Razor512's gear list:Razor512's gear list
Nikon D5600

Hotspurr wrote:

The difference in experience is dramatic. The D7500 gives better shots in low light (noticeably) and the noise pattern is different so it is more easily removed. The AF is great for BIF (group AF is my fav).

The current iso capability is very limiting. If I go beyond 800 its like crayons on sandpaper(As with birds there is always some crop). Its true that its not that visible in instagram or facebook but while editting its in full screen in my laptop. Seeing & knowing that poor quality actually hurts.

Same with the AF. For example Hawks are very slow flyer, so I tried it on them. But I could never get a sharp photo not even in 1/1000. So I hope D7500 locks and tracks good

It's really a no brainier upgrade for bird photography, especially with the extra fps. I use a sigma 150-600 and I'm usually at 600mm. After getting the D7500 my keeper number skyrocketed. You'll also appreciate the grip and being able to handle a large lens on this camera.

Don't waste your money on the 200-500. Your lens is fine unless you're going to be printing huge posters or cropping aggressively.

It sometimes feel really akward, specially when Im shooting above my head, the weight balance is very abnormal😁. I m keeping my 150-600 Tammy G1 for now, I want to asses the improvement on D7500. Nikon 200-500 is like a plan B.

One question though, since which value the iso seems to be harsh in the d7500 ? Like for my D3400 its beyond 800. You will know the quality I m talking about since you have used the d3500.

CMCM wrote:

I went from the D5600 (a very nice camera, and a bit newer than the 3400) to the D7500 and I found a huge difference in my ability to shoot BIFS with larger lenses. The D7500 has better and quicker AF, it has a bigger buffer, and it has the Group AF which is also on the D500, and I've found this setting excellent for BIFS. The D7500 has a bigger range of settings than the D5xxx and D3xxx cameras, and a lot of the important ones are quickly accessible on the top and back of the camera so you don't have to go into menus. The LCD screen is is really good, and I like the tilt capability of it for some shooting situations. Better high ISO performance too.

I debated between the D500 and D7500 but I couldn't justify the extra cost of the D500. There are many similar features on both cameras, and I've found the D7500 to be fantastic, and its 8fps is plenty fast and I usually shoot at the slower rate anyway. The AF system grabs focus very quickly and I can keep focus easily as I follow a bird. I really like everything about this camera, it's wonderful. I also liked having a built-in flash....the D7500 has it, but the D500 does not and that was an important thing for me and I wanted to have that in-camera flash capability when I wanted it. Here is a great evaluation of the D7500 from Thom Hogan.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d7500-camera-review.html

So one thing is crystal clear to me that the AF is far far better in the D7500 then the D3400 judging by the reviews of actual users. Which is also supposed to be in a pro grade camera.

The next thing I would love to know about is the iso performence difference as thats one of the main reasons for me to upgrade. I have read all sorts of stereotype comments , like its a lower MP sensor, it will be the same in terms of iso performence if not bad and so and so.

I would be really glad if someone (who has actually uesd both) can shade some light into it and quantified data would be really very helpful (such as noise level of d3400 in iso xxxx is somewhat equivallent to noise level of iso yyyy in d7500), If at all it can be judged like that.

Plz help gyes.

David Lumsden
David Lumsden Contributing Member • Posts: 675

SOOC JPEG. ISO 8000. Yes, That is three zeros after the eight

AyanA wrote:

Hotspurr wrote:

The current iso capability is very limiting. If I go beyond 800 its like crayons on sandpaper(As with birds there is always some crop). Its true that its not that visible in instagram or facebook but while editting its in full screen in my laptop. Seeing & knowing that poor quality actually hurts.

Same with the AF. For example Hawks are very slow flyer, so I tried it on them. But I could never get a sharp photo not even in 1/1000. So I hope D7500 locks and tracks good

It sometimes feel really akward, specially when Im shooting above my head, the weight balance is very abnormal😁. I m keeping my 150-600 Tammy G1 for now, I want to asses the improvement on D7500. Nikon 200-500 is like a plan B.

One question though, since which value the iso seems to be harsh in the d7500 ? Like for my D3400 its beyond 800. You will know the quality I m talking about since you have used the d3500.

I just took this shot in a gloomy room in hopes that it would help to answer your question above. Feel free to pixel peep and check for noise at 100% magnification. As you will see, the ISO value is 8000. Enough said.

David Lumsden's gear list:David Lumsden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic LX10 Olympus Air Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more

David Lumsden wrote:

SOOC JPEG. ISO 8000. Yes, That is three zeros after the eight

AyanA wrote:

Hotspurr wrote:

I just took this shot in a gloomy room in hopes that it would help to answer your question above. Feel free to pixel peep and check for noise at 100% magnification. As you will see, the ISO value is 8000. Enough said.

Mind = Blown

Just one question, Is it a processed raw shot or shot Jpeg ?

David Lumsden

Guitar was Shot JPEG. No PP whatsoever. SOOC.

As several others have pointed out, the ability to shoot at high ISO levels cleanly is a huge benefit for BIFs, because you can use very fast shutter speeds with mid-range diaphragm settings and still have loads of headroom to crop and process, as in the attached shot.

Just a gull, but good for Proof Of Concept. Cropped and PPed.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic LX10 Olympus Air Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more

David Lumsden wrote:

Guitar was Shot JPEG. No PP whatsoever. SOOC.

As several others have pointed out, the ability to shoot at high ISO levels cleanly is a huge benefit for BIFs, because you can use very fast shutter speeds with mid-range diaphragm settings and still have loads of headroom to crop and process, as in the attached shot.

Just a gull, but good for Proof Of Concept. Cropped and PPed.

Can you please share the detailed exif with gear details ?

David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 10,938
Gear details for seagulls

AyanA wrote:

Can you please share the detailed exif with gear details ?

Yes, if one is going to do seagulls or any other birds really, good gear is essential. I tend to favour straight-cut gears - although this is a matter of a pinion:

D300; Nikon 16-85mm; female herring gull and 48-tooth straight cut gear

ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 17,122

AyanA wrote:

Hotspurr wrote:

Shooting RAW, or jpegs?

Though these are downsized, would these be considered too noisy, or lacking detail at next two ISO settings (over ISO 800) ?

ISO 1600

ISO 3200

I'm using the D3400. I'm fine up to ISO 3200. In lower light, might look slightly worse.

Looking at Studio comparison here at DPreview, I'm wondering if any I.Q. benefit will be a gain.  Even if the same, I'm ok with that.

But I  am also buying the D7500, mainly for faster AF, weather resistance, better PentaPrizm OVF, faster fps burst with much bigger buffer, AF Fine tune and 2 control wheels. Tilt , touchscreen LCD is also a plus.

Was out again yesterday and realized my D3400 just can't AF on small birds flying (Barn swallows). Having only a very small red dot to use as AF point not helpful.

will still keep the D3400..maybe it will be more of a landscape /scenic shot camera.

Using the AF-P 70 to 300mm, as well as the 18 to 55mm AF-P lens. Have a few others, but these main two I use.

I found the 70 to 300mm Faster to AF than my few AF-s lenses, and also tried Tamron and sigma lenses...also not as fast.

thanks for this thread.

Good timing!

ANAYV

David Lumsden

Just click on the image for exif info.  The lens was the kit 70 - 300 VR.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads