Manual Focus 10-100 mm non PD

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Reb1026 New Member • Posts: 16
Manual Focus 10-100 mm non PD

Hi,

I just got a 10-100 mm non PD. It has problems attaining AF focus in some low light situations. I was hoping to use MF and probably magnification assist in such situation to improve focus. However, the lens does not have a focus ring.  I thought there might be a control function/wheel in the camera (V3 or V2) that help manual focus but I am having problems finding how and where.

Your help in this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reb1026's gear list:Reb1026's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Jon Hole New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Manual Focus 10-100 mm non PD

Hi.

First I have to apologize for my english, it is not my native language. I have checked my own V2 and V3, and on the V2 you go to the menu, set manual focus, press OK, go out of menu, press OK and then use the wheel around the OK button to focus. On the V3 you press the  four-way switch (around the OK button) up (AF), choose MF, press OK, then press OK once more, then you can use the front wheel on the grip to focus. If you don`t have the grip, you focus with wheel on the back side, same as on V2.

With kind regards

Jon in Norway

Jon Hole's gear list:Jon Hole's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +19 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 7,360

Jon Hole wrote:

Hi.

First I have to apologize for my english, it is not my native language. I have checked my own V2 and V3, and on the V2 you go to the menu, set manual focus, press OK, go out of menu, press OK and then use the wheel around the OK button to focus. On the V3 you press the four-way switch (around the OK button) up (AF), choose MF, press OK, then press OK once more, then you can use the front wheel on the grip to focus. If you don`t have the grip, you focus with wheel on the back side, same as on V2.

With kind regards

Jon in Norway

Your English is better than half my countrymen! I just wanted to add that focus-by-thumbwheel is really lame and I rarely do it with native lenses. If camera is on a tripod it’s better.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
Jon Hole New Member • Posts: 9

I absolutely agree with you, it is very cumbersome, but with Nikon 1 and lenses without focusring it is the only way (as far as I know). I never use it myself, is it to dark for the camera to focus I take another camera or skip the photo-opportunety.

Jon in Norway

Jon Hole's gear list:Jon Hole's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +19 more
OP Reb1026 New Member • Posts: 16

Hi,

Thanks so much for the help. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to do it. The MF does not seem to be very user friendly as it lacks some of the assist feature like focus peaking but it does help in a pinch when the camera/lens won't even AF in low light conditions. Most likely, this won't be my go to combo for low light but since it is so compact and versatile, it is easy to take it everywhere.

Thanks again

Reb1026's gear list:Reb1026's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
CX Bob
CX Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,673

Hi, Reb!
(Huh!  Look at that!  I was just admiring the a6000 Sony in another post earlier today.)
I have to agree with Paul and Jon that manual focus with N1 cameras is difficult (that's a nice way to put it!) at best.  Still, it's a good thing to know.  
Do you have the 'auto-focus assist' (I think that's what it's called) setting turned on?
In some situations that can help a lot, and in others it won't do much of anything.
If the situation allows for it, you might also try a laser pointer or small flashlight to light things up temporarily while you do the 'half shutter push' to achieve focus.
And now!  Here's the most interesting and useful advice I've ever offered on this forum!
I've mentioned this quite a few times over many years, but no one ever responds to it or seems to be interested at all!  I hope it might be of use to you at some point, for those times when you have no choice but to use the control wheel for manual focus.
If you set the 'sharpening' adjustment in the camera to its highest setting (as the Beatles once said, 'number nine... number nine...') the image you see in both the viewfinder (if you have one) and the LCD screen will be at its sharpest.  This makes manual focusing much easier and precise, although it's still more awkward than it should be!  The sharpening setting is actually intended for something else, but if you're interested in giving this a try, you'll see clearly that this is true.  Nikon!  Pfffft!   
This adjustment can be a little tricky.  Please don't hesitate to write back if you have any questions about it. 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads