How to adjust exposure when pressed half shutter button

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Carlos Ferrari
Carlos Ferrari New Member • Posts: 14
How to adjust exposure when pressed half shutter button

Hello! Ex Nikon shooter here.

Just got my brand new sony a73, still trying to configure and adjust everything, but there is something that I can’t find out.

Where is the menu to allow me to change exposure/aperture when the shutter button is halfway down? I’v searched everywhere.

thank you!

Carlos Ferrari's gear list:Carlos Ferrari's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
texdpl Contributing Member • Posts: 922
Re: How to adjust exposure when pressed half shutter button

Are you kidding me?

-- hide signature --

Don L.

texdpl's gear list:texdpl's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
phototeacher Contributing Member • Posts: 967

Carlos Ferrari wrote:

Just got my brand new sony a73, still trying to configure and adjust everything, but there is something that I can’t find out.

Where is the menu to allow me to change exposure/aperture when the shutter button is halfway down? I’v searched everywhere.

thank you!

Why would you have to do a half-press? The meter will be reading as long as the camera is 'active.' No need to adjust exposure (and it would be cumbersome to do so!) while pressing the shutter button; what hand/finger would you use?   Surely Nikon meters in a similar fashion.

Nightanday New Member • Posts: 13

Carlos Ferrari wrote:

thank you!

you have an electronic viewfinder („constant live view“) now! What you see is what you get.

Just frame your scene looking through the EVF or at the backscreen, then use the front or rear dial (depending on how you configured it) to adjust aperture, then adjust exposure using the dedicated EV compensation wheel THEN half press shutter to focus THEN press to take the picture

silentstorm Senior Member • Posts: 1,184

Carlos Ferrari wrote:

thank you!

I guess it is pretty much the same as Nikon at default factory settings. Didn't you post anything at all in the Nikon forum? You only have 1 post so far.

Use the AE-L button the same way you would use on a Nikon, that should be the simplest way to adapt to a new brand. The AE-L button works the same on a Canon and all other brands too.

PrebenR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,146

Carlos Ferrari wrote:

thank you!

Congratulations on your new camera.

Do you mean that you do not want AE to be locked when half pressing the shutter button?

-- hide signature --

Don't blame the camera
“A good photographer can take a picture with a sewing machine.” - Ara Güler

Trollmannx Senior Member • Posts: 5,529

Carlos Ferrari wrote:

thank you!

Half press the shutter button to lock exposure and focus.

Release the shutter button to reset the settings. Actually not very hard... 

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,593

I guess we really need the OP to tell us what he's trying to accomplish; but my guess would be that, since Auto ISO doesn't show you the selected ISO until you half-press, he wants to be able to change other exposure parameters and get immediate feedback on what that's doing to selected ISO.

So, to the OP: if that's what you're trying to do, then what you need to do is set a button to AEL Toggle or AEL Hold. I think the default for the AEL button is AEL Hold. Then when you toggle or hold this button, you'll see the ISO value that's chosen for the scene and metering, but you can still adjust aperture and shutter speed with the wheels and the ISO will update accordingly.

If you're in a fixed ISO mode, there's no need to press anything... you're going to be getting full time metering and exposure preview anyway.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +16 more
Carlos Ferrari
OP Carlos Ferrari New Member • Posts: 14

Hello everyone.

sorry if I wasn’t that clear. Im from Brazil and my English isn’t very good.

I shoot weddings and i need to be always ready to take pictures. On my nikon i keep the shutter button always half pressed because i find it the better way to get the best photos, the decisive ones. Sometimes when I’m waiting to a moment in a scene happen the light changes and i need to adjust my exposure. As the shutter button is half pressed, the camera locks my dial controls speed/aperture. And that’s what i need to be able to do and configure. I need to enable in manual mode, with everything manual, to be able to change speed/aperture. There’s no reason to the camera to lock my actions because the button is half pressed. This is dumb.

It’s the same when shooting sports, football. You must stay with your finger all time half pressing the shutter to take fast action movement photos. I use af-on button for focus aswell.

I hope I’m able to configure it, because it would be a bad design from sony.

Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,593

Carlos Ferrari wrote:

Hello everyone.

sorry if I wasn’t that clear. Im from Brazil and my English isn’t very good.

I shoot weddings and i need to be always ready to take pictures. On my nikon i keep the shutter button always half pressed because i find it the better way to get the best photos, the decisive ones. Sometimes when I’m waiting to a moment in a scene happen the light changes and i need to adjust my exposure. As the shutter button is half pressed, the camera locks my dial controls speed/aperture. And that’s what i need to be able to do and configure. I need to enable in manual mode, with everything manual, to be able to change speed/aperture. There’s no reason to the camera to lock my actions because the button is half pressed. This is dumb.

It’s the same when shooting sports, football. You must stay with your finger all time half pressing the shutter to take fast action movement photos. I use af-on button for focus aswell.

I hope I’m able to configure it, because it would be a bad design from sony.

If you're using an AF On button for focus (BBF), then half-pressing the shutter doesn't do anything but lock exposure. So, don't half-press. Learn new habits.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +16 more
Carlos Ferrari
OP Carlos Ferrari New Member • Posts: 14

UPDATE:
After updating camera to firmware v3.0.1 (from 2.1), the camera no longer locks exposure/speed dials when half pressing shutter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads