ePHOTOzine posts some TG-6 tests

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
smithaa02 Regular Member • Posts: 139
ePHOTOzine posts some TG-6 tests

First a couple of youtube videos...nothing too consequential:

They then posted a collection of test images at: https://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/olympus-tough-tg-6-7337/images

This includes iso tests, lens test, digital filters, sample photos and white balance tests.

I'm not sure what to make of this so far. One thing I found interesting is the "blue ball" is back...you can see it centered on this example:

I would be curious to know what precise conditions recreate this.

ePHOTOzine did perform a similar set of tests with the TG-5 so in theory one could do general comparisons between the two:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-tough-tg-5-review-31164/performance

Some of their tests are  puzzling...for example in their AWB Mixed Light test, the TG-5 had a more aggressive white balance which is the opposite of what we saw with Imaging Resources:

TG-5 - AWB Mixed Light

TG-6 AWB Mixed Light

These aren't the most scientific of tests though (eg the slanted frame) so it is tough to know how representative these are.

Olympus TG-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
peterak Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: ePHOTOzine posts some TG-6 tests

smithaa02 wrote:

I'm not sure what to make of this so far. One thing I found interesting is the "blue ball" is back...you can see it centered on this example:

Bummer!

-- hide signature --

Peter

peterak's gear list:peterak's gear list
Sony RX100 V Olympus TG-5 Nikon 1 J5 +1 more
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Senior Member • Posts: 2,552

smithaa02 wrote:

Some of their tests are puzzling...for example in their AWB Mixed Light test, the TG-5 had a more aggressive white balance which is the opposite of what we saw with Imaging Resources:

I'm not sure how you define "more aggressive white balance". Perhaps you would explain.

The color differences of TG-5 and TG-6 images are probably somewhat due to inconsistent camera settings.

TG-5 - Picture Mode : Vivid; 2
TG-6 - Picture Mode : Natural; 2

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 +22 more
OP smithaa02 Regular Member • Posts: 139

Enders Shadow wrote:

smithaa02 wrote:

Some of their tests are puzzling...for example in their AWB Mixed Light test, the TG-5 had a more aggressive white balance which is the opposite of what we saw with Imaging Resources:

I'm not sure how you define "more aggressive white balance". Perhaps you would explain.

Whiter whites...blacker blacks...less of a color cast...more of a stretched histogram.

The color differences of TG-5 and TG-6 images are probably somewhat due to inconsistent camera settings.

Thanks...yeah that would explain that.  In that context comparing the two certainly isn't fair.  As a minor note I guess this could mean the TG-6 is less apt to use Vivid in auto.  I wish the photographer would have controlled for camera variables.

Enders Shadow

smithaa02 wrote:

Enders Shadow wrote:

smithaa02 wrote:

Whiter whites...blacker blacks...less of a color cast...more of a stretched histogram.

On my 2 calibrated monitors, the white in the color calibration target is more accurate in the TG-6 shot. I'd say it's close enough that it doesn't need any WB correction. The TG-5, being in Vivid mode, had its saturation cranked up. There may have been other tweaked perimeters..

Auto white balance is supposed to make a educated guess as to the color temperature of the ambient light. Doesn't mean whites will be whiter or blacks will be blacker. Nor should it stretch out a histogram. (That's exposure) If done correctly, there shouldn't be any color cast and dominate colors shouldn't become desaturated.

Thanks...yeah that would explain that. In that context comparing the two certainly isn't fair. As a minor note I guess this could mean the TG-6 is less apt to use Vivid in auto. I wish the photographer would have controlled for camera variables.

Both cameras were in Program AE mode. The photographer had 100% control over the picture mode.  Probably they should have done a reset before starting studio tests.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 +22 more

What was previously linked was an overview page. ePHOTOzine has new revealed a full review:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-tough-tg-6-review-33648

Some quick notes...

• Chromatic aberration is still an issue (a shame as there is 0 chromatic aberration in the W300). One area in which Nikon R&D may be ahead of Olympus.
  • Noise performance is considered good and better than the TG-5 but only slightly
  • There is now a "Keep Warm Color" option under AWB. They recommend off. This is intriguing as previous TG-6 photos appeared on the warm side.
  • The review wasn't a fan of the panorama...but that isn't a big deal...most users will prefer to stitch their own panoramas together on desktops.
  • In general the review liked the colors
  • The review claims that color saturation is lower on the TG-6 relative to the TG-5...but this could because some of their tests had the TG-5 in vivid mode.

On a slightly unrelated note, the following is a longer 4k video of the TG-6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgfXKVDfFm8

It appears darker than TG-5 videos but this is tough to judge with out comparing lighting, dive depth,and WB settings. Stabilization looks ok, but UW video is less prone to shake.

Linnin
Linnin Regular Member • Posts: 206

peterak wrote:

smithaa02 wrote:

Bummer!

Disappointing, but it does seem to be reduced. The new coating on the sensor itself has obviously helped as intended, but not a cure. Clearly this isn't 'lens flair' as some erroneously claim.

-- hide signature --

My Best Days Are Still In Front Of Me

Linnin's gear list:Linnin's gear list
Olympus TG-5

Linnin wrote:

peterak wrote:

smithaa02 wrote:

Bummer!

Disappointing, but it does seem to be reduced. The new coating on the sensor itself has obviously helped as intended, but not a cure. Clearly this isn't 'lens flair' as some erroneously claim.

I would be very curious to know if this is scientifically recreatable. For example one TG-5 user said it was simple to recreate...take a picture at full zoom and at a 45 degree angle to the sun. If we were to know precisely when this happened we could take measures to prevent it.

While not lens flare, it may be a variant. There are so many internal lens in this camera that I could see odd reflections bouncing around in just the right circumstances.

If it is some type of incidental light, then some type of lens hood may help.

Linnin

smithaa02 wrote:

Linnin wrote:

peterak wrote:

smithaa02 wrote:

Bummer!

I would be very curious to know if this is scientifically recreatable. For example one TG-5 user said it was simple to recreate...take a picture at full zoom and at a 45 degree angle to the sun. If we were to know precisely when this happened we could take measures to prevent it.

While not lens flare, it may be a variant. There are so many internal lens in this camera that I could see odd reflections bouncing around in just the right circumstances.

If it is some type of incidental light, then some type of lens hood may help.

Absolutely an engineering design flaw that would require a complete redesign of the camera. The more faint purple dot effect in the studio shot proves it as the lighting is perfectly diffused and Kelvin defined even if we don't know exactly what K value they are using.

TG-5

-- hide signature --

Olympus TG-5
Enders Shadow

Linnin wrote:

Even Olympus uses the term flare. From their TG-6 PR:

Anti- reflective (AR) coating incorporated in the image sensor’s sealing glass minimizes ghosting and flares.

I don't know what other term would be more appropriate. Some have defined specific types of flare based on the exact method that creates the artifacts. But generally, strong off axis lighting or high contrast lighting within the scene coupled with internal reflections within lens elements, reflections between lens elements or even reflections off the sensor fall into the category of flare. One way or another, it involves the lens.

https://photographylife.com/what-is-ghosting-and-flare

The problem isn't new for the TG series. A friend has a few examples from his TG-2, but the orb is just barely noticeable. I've also seen it with my TG-3. It's occurs more often at or near the telephoto end. It appears the geometry of the lens elements is involved.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Linnin

I don't care if you call it a grape lollypop. It's an annoying result of poor engineering, and the AR bandaid isn't working. I should quit bellyaching about it and dump my gear for whatever I can get for it and move on. Life is too short.

-- hide signature --

Olympus TG-5

Another youtube video here...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ucRkYILFI

It's tough to judge the TG-6 video as the user forgot to adjust EV for the overcast conditions. But...when zoomed in, that darn blue spot came back. There definitely looks to be a strong correlation between zooming and and that blue spot.

That video was close to the water which may have contributed to this blue spot.

-- hide signature --

For those curious here is another British review of the TG-6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOkjkbM9MGE

Nothing too consequential in this review...although the macros are nice.

https://youtu.be/FOkjkbM9MGE?t=629

BobGer New Member • Posts: 1

This blue spot looks similar to the one created by the old Tamron Adaptall Macro 90/2,5 from the 1980s. These had a flat rear lens that didn'd work well together with digital sensors. The problem was visible with bright light sources in the frame and became more prominent when closing the aperture.

On the TGs it might have something to do with the flat screen in front of the objective.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads