If you were me what camera do you choose and Why?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
scarlet knight
scarlet knight Contributing Member • Posts: 880
Re: If you were me what camera do you choose and Why?

jonikon wrote:

kombizz0 wrote:

For many years I was a Minolta photographer and witnessed for many years the develoopment of digital technology in cameras, especially Sony cameras because as you know Minolta sold its product to Sony. Over the years I have bought different lenses for my Minolta Dynax 7 (Minolta APO tele-zoom 100-300, Minolta APO tele zoom 100-400 F4.5-6.7, Minolta AF 200mm F2.8, Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8, Sigma Flash EF-430). During this period of change I saved my birthday money for purchasing the Sony Alpha 7 and now have the means to buy any kind only for it's body or perhaps a good 50mm lens.

What, no "beer can"?

Is the beer can a 70-210?

scarlet knight's gear list:scarlet knight's gear list
Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Nikon D5500 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +17 more
foot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,918
That's if you want AF with your Minolta lenses

raminm wrote:

kombizz0 wrote:

SmilerGrogan wrote:

. . . . . .so if you're happy with their performance I'd go for the camera body that takes your lenses without adapters.

What is this camera which take lenses without adaptor? name?

Sony A99, A99 mk ii and A77 mk ii and some other lower level bodies.

That's if you want AF with your Minolta lenses. If not then most mirrorless cameras will take your lenses, with adapters, without AF. So manul focus only.

I used Minolta camera and lenses for years, before they were sold to Sony. Personally I never liked Sony's colors, many do. If you like the Sony colors then Sony is a great way to go.

If you want AF with your Minolta lenses then you are stuck with the Sony camera lines as mentioned.

If you are willing to move on from your Minolta lenses (which I always liked) then there is more options. Fuji could be a good choice to check out. Also many modern lenses designs went for a much different look than Minolta did. Minolta engineers spent a lot of time to have each lens color-compatible with other Minolta lenses.

dyxum.com might be a good resource for you.

https://www.dyxum.com/columns/other/Historical_perspective_Minolta_lens_design_philosophy.asp

google search terms: "Minolta liquid color lens design"

Modern lenses are very good, no doubt about it. And modern sensor design has a huge impact on the image color. Many prefer modern lens design, some prefer the Minolta-type lenses.

Personally when I moved from Minolta I tried Pentax, Fuji, and finally settled on the Samsung NX. Go figure, they then left the camera business! I still use and love my old Samsung NX500 and it's inexpensive, small and light lenses.

I also liked Pentax colors but they technically lag in product development. Good products tho.

Fuji SOC jpg colors I liked.

But Samsung NX500 w 16-50pz hit all the right buttons for me. Sadly they are no longer around.

It's a good time to buy new camera gear, many good products, lots of good choices!

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
Craig Gillette Veteran Member • Posts: 9,965

I went through several of the same bodies/lenses.  I really liked the KM 7D.  But as the KM/Sony pilgrimage stumbled along, swapped over to Nikon.  I actually hung on to some of the Maxxum lenses.  At least for a while.  I really liked how the 100-300 performed and it's size and kind of wished that the adapters would have provided reasonable focus performance.

I still have and use my Nikon aps-c dslr kit, anchored by the D7200.

I've upgraded my NEX-6 and 16-50 to the A6400 and the 18-135.  and a wide prime.

Why?  I like the small size and convenience of the Sony aps-c mirror-less.  I like the flexibility of the dslr kit but not it's weight.  Have never been able to justify the extra expense to go ff.  If you don't anticipate ever going ff, then Fuji aps-c is popular.

I'd stay Nikon if I wanted to emphasize dslr, even ff.  Canon might have some lens advantages if you wanted a hybrid system sharing lenses to the Sony mirror-less via adapter.  Mirror-less only?  Neither Canon nor Nikon currently have the range of bodies that Sony does.

Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,100

kombizz0 wrote:

For many years I was a Minolta photographer and witnessed for many years the develoopment of digital technology in cameras, especially Sony cameras because as you know Minolta sold its product to Sony. Over the years I have bought different lenses for my Minolta Dynax 7 (Minolta APO tele-zoom 100-300, Minolta APO tele zoom 100-400 F4.5-6.7, Minolta AF 200mm F2.8, Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8, Sigma Flash EF-430). During this period of change I saved my birthday money for purchasing the Sony Alpha 7 and now have the means to buy any kind only for it's body or perhaps a good 50mm lens.

However, for some time I have been pre-occupied with a dangerous thought that bothers me. This thought says that instead of buying a DSLR Sony A7, why not buy a mid-range mirrorless camera, i.e. Sony A6400 because it is lighter in weight and less complicated with fewer lenses to carry compared with the Sony A7.

On the other hand I would like to have a complete camera that has diversity for taking different tasks from portrait, landscape, to macro, etc

So I am asking if you were me, which thought would you listen to and why? - At present I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 that is versatile for travelling but has lots of limitation.

I appreciate your advice in this matter.

The Dynax 7 is just about as advanced as film cameras ever got - I'm looking down at my (sadly underused) copy as I type... Must get some fresh developer!

You could use those lenses on a Sony a7 (I'd say go for at least the a7ii - IBIS is very useful) via an adapter, but you would not get autofocus unless you bought the LA4 adapter (with the semi-transparent mirror).

You can use those lenses straight on the Sony A mount cameras (current a99ii for full frame or a77ii/a68 for APS-C). Alternatively you could seek out a used A mount camera - something like an a900 or a850 were excellent SLRs, the last Sony made.

Useful info on Minolta and Sony AF cameras can be found at https://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/bodies.php or at Dyxum.com

A lot depends on whether you want to shoot distance stuff - I use full frame because I like my short Minolta primes (AF24 and AF20), but APS-C is great if you are in to birding or sports.

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,547

kombizz0 wrote:

Dennis wrote:

Why would it be less complicated with fewer lenses to carry ? Is it because you would only have the kit lens ? I guess it's up to you whether you WANT to carry fewer lenses or you want to be able to use more ...

All the matter is the weight of these stuff. I would like to have one body (Sony A7RIi, or Sony A7RIii) and three lenses which one of them would be Sony SAL50F14.AE A Mount - Full Frame 50mm F1.4 Prime Lens and the other two lenses would be my old lenses, Minolta AF 200mm F2.8, Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8

Salaam brother.

I think you are getting confused by the different Sony cameras. This is easy to do!!

The Sony A7Rii and A7Riii - like the A7, A7ii and A7iii - are all mirrorless cameras. They are not DSLRs. None of your old lenses or the lenses you mention above will fit on these cameras without an adapter. Even though these cameras have "A" in their name, they do not use A mount lenses. Instead they have what is called "E" mount. As these are all full-frame cameras, the specific lenses are marked as "FE".

https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/slrs/sony_a7ii

These cameras are similar to the Sony A6400, which you mention. Other cameras in this series are the A6000, A6300 and A6500. It is also a mirrorless camera like the A7 series (which are all full-frame), but has a smaller APS-C sized sensor. It can use the same FE lenses as the A7 series shown above, but also "E" series lenses, which are designed for the smaller sensor. Like the A7 series above, you would not be able to use your old lenses or something like the Sony SAL 50 f/1.4 A mount without an adapter.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/slrs/sony_a6400

If you want to use your old lenses without an adapter, you would need a DSLR like the Sony A77 (which is slightly different from a DSLR as it has a special translucent mirror and uses an electronic viewfinder - EVF - rather than an optical viewfinder - OVF - like DSLRs, but that doesn't matter too much for now). It is very confusing that Sony have the A7 and the A77, which are completely different types of camera, but that's just the way it is.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/slrs/sony_slta77

If it has A and then two or three numbers, it is an A mount (Alpha mount) camera and you can use your older lenses on it directly. If it has A and then one or four numbers, it is an E mount. Sony has made a lot of the A mount cameras, going back to 2006, but most of them are discontinued. Sony still lists the A77ii (or the SLT-A77ii to be more precise) and A68 (both APS-C sensors) and the full-frame A99ii among its current cameras, but has not released a new A mount camera for nearly three years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_A-mount_cameras

I hope this clears up some of the confusion!

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,077

kombizz0 wrote:

However, for some time I have been pre-occupied with a dangerous thought that bothers me. This thought says that instead of buying a DSLR Sony A7, why not buy a mid-range mirrorless camera, i.e. Sony A6400 because it is lighter in weight and less complicated with fewer lenses to carry compared with the Sony A7.

On the other hand I would like to have a complete camera that has diversity for taking different tasks from portrait, landscape, to macro, etc

So I am asking if you were me, which thought would you listen to and why? - At present I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 that is versatile for travelling but has lots of limitation.

If I wanted to use older Minolta lenses with a reasonably light body, and if I could live with the field of view difference that the APS-C format gives, I would buy an A68 body to avoid the hassle, extra weight, and expense of needing an A mount to E mount adapter.  The A77 ii is twice the cost, and on paper I don't see myself needing more than the A68 offers.  An in-store, hands-on experience might change my mind, of course.

If I also wanted a new, normal focal length prime, I would choose the Sony DT 35mm f/1.8 SAM (52.5mm equivalent focal length), which got a very favorable review from Optical Limits:

https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/646-sony35f18dt

Questions about Sony cameras always leave me thinking I want that A68 to play with.  My current DSLR (which I've had for 12 years) is still working great and has an optical viewfinder which I always prefer in side-by-side comparisons with electronic types, but there's something about the A68 that makes me itch to make a purchase.

Another option for you is to forget about interchangeable lens cameras and just live with the limitations of your FZ200.  I have an FZ300, and I'm going to make a point of getting out and using it more this summer.

Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,100

jrtrent wrote:

kombizz0 wrote:

If I wanted to use older Minolta lenses with a reasonably light body, and if I could live with the field of view difference that the APS-C format gives, I would buy an A68 body to avoid the hassle, extra weight, and expense of needing an A mount to E mount adapter. The A77 ii is twice the cost, and on paper I don't see myself needing more than the A68 offers. An in-store, hands-on experience might change my mind, of course.

If I also wanted a new, normal focal length prime, I would choose the Sony DT 35mm f/1.8 SAM (52.5mm equivalent focal length), which got a very favorable review from Optical Limits:

https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/646-sony35f18dt

Questions about Sony cameras always leave me thinking I want that A68 to play with. My current DSLR (which I've had for 12 years) is still working great and has an optical viewfinder which I always prefer in side-by-side comparisons with electronic types, but there's something about the A68 that makes me itch to make a purchase.

Another option for you is to forget about interchangeable lens cameras and just live with the limitations of your FZ200. I have an FZ300, and I'm going to make a point of getting out and using it more this summer.

The a68 is a very good way in to using those old Minolta telephotos - and the 200 is a great lens - well worth getting some modern use out of.

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
AOC
AOC Regular Member • Posts: 229

Jonsi wrote:

AOC wrote:

I had no idea Sony even made DSLRs.

Of course they did. They're available everywhere.

If so, that appears to be one of Sony's rare missteps. I trust they have since corrected it.

Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 3,723

AOC wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

AOC wrote:

I had no idea Sony even made DSLRs.

Of course they did. They're available everywhere.

If so, that appears to be one of Sony's rare missteps. I trust they have since corrected it.

They did. They weren't great, so they moved that research over to earbuds and Walkmans.

jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,294

scarlet knight wrote:

jonikon wrote:

kombizz0 wrote:

What, no "beer can"?

Is the beer can a 70-210?

Yep, Minolta 70-210 f4, also known affectionately as simply "The Beer can". I had one in mint condition when I was with the A-Mount and got some great shots with it hand held with a Sony A700 with IBIS. I remember the bokeh was as smooth as silk!  Sold it when I moved to the Nikon F mount. Now I wish I still had it. So many of the new lenses have terrible bokeh. 

-- hide signature --

Jon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads