If you were me what camera do you choose and Why?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
kombizz0
kombizz0 Regular Member • Posts: 262
If you were me what camera do you choose and Why?

For many years I was a Minolta photographer and witnessed for many years the develoopment of digital technology in cameras, especially Sony cameras because as you know Minolta sold its product to Sony. Over the years I have bought different lenses for my Minolta Dynax 7 (Minolta APO tele-zoom 100-300, Minolta APO tele zoom 100-400 F4.5-6.7, Minolta AF 200mm F2.8, Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8, Sigma Flash EF-430). During this period of change I saved my birthday money for purchasing the Sony Alpha 7 and now have the means to buy any kind only for it's body or perhaps a good 50mm lens.

However, for some time I have been pre-occupied with a dangerous thought that bothers me. This thought says that instead of buying a DSLR Sony A7, why not buy a mid-range mirrorless camera, i.e. Sony A6400 because it is lighter in weight and less complicated with fewer lenses to carry compared with the Sony A7.

On the other hand I would like to have a complete camera that has diversity for taking different tasks from portrait, landscape, to macro, etc

So I am asking if you were me, which thought would you listen to and why? - At present I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 that is versatile for travelling but has lots of limitation.

I appreciate your advice in this matter.

-- hide signature --

I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.
http://www.kombizz.com/

kombizz0's gear list:kombizz0's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +12 more
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AOC
AOC Regular Member • Posts: 229
Re: If you were me what camera do you choose and Why?

I had no idea Sony even made DSLRs. Why would anyone want them over its mirrorless FF or APS-C bodies?

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,581

AOC wrote:

I had no idea Sony even made DSLRs. Why would anyone want them over its mirrorless FF or APS-C bodies?

They don't and haven't for some time.

I think the OP is misinformed on a few things, but ultimately his flawed decision making process landed him at the right choice- assuming he can get the lenses he needs.

I'd look at the A6500... then go over the available lenses with a fine toothed comb to ensure you can get what you need.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 15,907

kombizz0 wrote:

For many years I was a Minolta photographer and witnessed for many years the develoopment of digital technology in cameras, especially Sony cameras because as you know Minolta sold its product to Sony. Over the years I have bought different lenses for my Minolta Dynax 7 (Minolta APO tele-zoom 100-300, Minolta APO tele zoom 100-400 F4.5-6.7, Minolta AF 200mm F2.8, Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8, Sigma Flash EF-430). During this period of change I saved my birthday money for purchasing the Sony Alpha 7 and now have the means to buy any kind only for it's body or perhaps a good 50mm lens.

However, for some time I have been pre-occupied with a dangerous thought that bothers me. This thought says that instead of buying a DSLR Sony A7,

The A7 (and its variants) isn't a DSLR ...

why not buy a mid-range mirrorless camera, i.e. Sony A6400 because it is lighter in weight and less complicated with fewer lenses to carry compared with the Sony A7.

… it's mirrorless camera just like the A6400 but with a bigger sensor.

I can't understand why you think an A6400 would need less lenses than an A7. For comparable technical  quality of images you need good lenses; they'll be different for the A6400 but not necessarily fewer.

On the other hand I would like to have a complete camera that has diversity for taking different tasks from portrait, landscape, to macro, etc

The A6400 with suitable lenses will do all of that. The only practical difference is that if you want your portraits to have really thin DOF, in which case the A7 would be better.

So I am asking if you were me, which thought would you listen to and why?

Well, you mentioned a DSLR (although the camera you linked it to isn't a DSLR) and I'd buy a DSLR from Pentax. But with the choice you mentioned I can't see any real drawbacks to the A6400.

- At present I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 that is versatile for travelling but has lots of limitation.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,017

Whatever you get do yourself a favor and audition the cameras. You have to pay for whatever you get and live with your decision, not me or anyone else on this site.

EVF viewfinders range from awful to great, tending to scale with price. Looking through one indoors at a store can be a different experience than looking through it in bright sunlight. Polarized sunglasses?

Camera ergonomics vary widely. My experience has been that more often than not you will not discover what you dislike about a camera until you live with it.  Designers of smaller cameras seem to believe they have to find ways to mimic control systems of larger cameras and do so with varying degrees of frustration to the end user.

As such what a professional reviewer praises might seem nearly unusable to you.

Better lenses do not automatically make better pictures. Only you can decide if the investment in expensive glass makes sense given the way most images are processed (jpeg) and viewed (truncated pixel count on a low resolution low gamut monitor).

Small EVF cameras can be heavier than you might think and when you add a longer lens the overall weight is often not different than the equivalent larger camera form factor with worse physical balance, physics and gravity being what they are.

If you can audition side by side Sony, which you seem to be fond of, full frame and APS mirrorless you might be less, or more, enamored of the APS offerings.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Nikon Z6
supersargas Regular Member • Posts: 121

if you want to use your lenses, your choices are

>used A mount DSLR

>Sony A99ii

>Sony E mount camera plus adapter

SmilerGrogan Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Do You Love Your Current Lenses?

Minolta made some amazing lenses so if you're happy with their performance I'd go for the camera body that takes your lenses without adapters.

But as others have said try out whatever you want to buy with the lenses from your collection.

HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 4,306

I wouldn't recommend a camera. Learn to draw.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 3,719

kombizz0 wrote:

However, for some time I have been pre-occupied with a dangerous thought that bothers me. This thought says that instead of buying a DSLR Sony A7,

A77, not A7

Personally, I'd go with a different DSLR based on lenses alone (quality, availability).  Like Canon or Nikon.

If you like the electronic viewfinder of your Panasonic then mirrorless is aviable option.  Many don't.

Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 3,719

AOC wrote:

I had no idea Sony even made DSLRs.

Of course they did. They're available everywhere.

Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 19,067

kombizz0 wrote:

For many years I was a Minolta photographer and witnessed for many years the develoopment of digital technology in cameras, especially Sony cameras because as you know Minolta sold its product to Sony. Over the years I have bought different lenses for my Minolta Dynax 7 (Minolta APO tele-zoom 100-300, Minolta APO tele zoom 100-400 F4.5-6.7, Minolta AF 200mm F2.8, Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8, Sigma Flash EF-430).

The '7' was a great camera ... and those are some nice lenses. The 200/2.8 was one of my favorite lenses ever; and those zooms were very good in their day.

During this period of change I saved my birthday money for purchasing the Sony Alpha 7 and now have the means to buy any kind only for it's body

That makes it sound like you would not be buying new lenses if you were to buy a new body. That's kind of important ...

This thought says that instead of buying a DSLR Sony A7,

The A7 is a full frame mirrorless body. Do you mean A77 ?

why not buy a mid-range mirrorless camera, i.e. Sony A6400 because it is lighter in weight and less complicated with fewer lenses to carry compared with the Sony A7.

Why would it be less complicated with fewer lenses to carry ? Is it because you would only have the kit lens ? I guess it's up to you whether you WANT to carry fewer lenses or you want to be able to use more ...

And if your budget limits you to a single body, that sounds like you'd want to use your existing lenses ...

You have to decide if you want to use those lenses ... if so, do you want to use them with a FF sensor (you did not list any wide or normal lenses, so might not care about that), if you want to go mirrorless and use an adapter with those lenses or keep it simple with an A mount body.

The 200/2.8 is still a gem today. The 100-300 and the 100-400 are decent lenses, but I'm not sure they hold up on a high res sensor the way they used to. The 100-300 was sluggish in terms of AF speed, anyway. And you can now buy inexpensive 100-400 lenses from Tamron and Sigma (for DSLR mounts, anyway). Those lenses could be replaced by better lenses, but, on the other hand, you own them and probably don't have the budget to replace them in addition to buying a new camera. Then again, the three teles are somewhat redundant, so if you were to sell them, you might not need to buy so many. And ... if you're used to a max of 400mm on film, maybe you'd be good with a max of 300mm with an APS-C sensor ?  (You have the FZ200 now ... that has 600mm equivalent reach ... is that what you want to preserve in a system camera ?)

So I am asking if you were me, which thought would you listen to and why?

You didn't mention what you have for wide/normal lenses for landscape use. That might impact what I'd do.

I'd try out the A77 II or even an A68 or a used A mount camera and then ask over on the Sony e-mount forum about how well the lenses you own will perform with an e-mount body and adapter. (The adapter will add to the cost, the weight and the bulk). I'd probably lean toward the A6500 over the A6400 since you're not looking at stellar AF performance adapting those lenses and image stabilization is a nice feature. I'd have a hard time dumping $1300 on an A mount body in 2019. But I'm also not sure an e-mount body with those lenses is going to be wonderful, either.

This could be a good time for a little soul searching Decide what you want your camera to do (what lenses do you need) and how much do you want to carry and then look at options, which could even include selling everything and starting over.

- Dennis
--
Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

kombizz0
OP kombizz0 Regular Member • Posts: 262
Re: Do You Love Your Current Lenses?

SmilerGrogan wrote:

. . . . . .so if you're happy with their performance I'd go for the camera body that takes your lenses without adapters.

What is this camera which take lenses without adaptor? name?

-- hide signature --

http://www.kombizz.com/

kombizz0

Dennis wrote:

That makes it sound like you would not be buying new lenses if you were to buy a new body. That's kind of important ...

I am interested to buy a body (i.e. Sony A7RIi, or Sony A7RIii) & a Sony SAL50F14.AE A Mount - Full Frame 50mm F1.4 Prime Lens

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/kombizz0/

kombizz0

Dennis wrote:

Why would it be less complicated with fewer lenses to carry ? Is it because you would only have the kit lens ? I guess it's up to you whether you WANT to carry fewer lenses or you want to be able to use more ...

All the matter is the weight of these stuff. I would like to have one body (Sony A7RIi, or Sony A7RIii) and three lenses which one of them would be Sony SAL50F14.AE A Mount - Full Frame 50mm F1.4 Prime Lens and the other two lenses would be my old lenses, Minolta AF 200mm F2.8, Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/kombizz0/

Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 12,775

A good progression would be a m43 camera say the em52 with the 14 150 great all round camera small and light good video as well. and its weather sealed combo.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

raminm Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Re: Do You Love Your Current Lenses?

kombizz0 wrote:

SmilerGrogan wrote:

. . . . . .so if you're happy with their performance I'd go for the camera body that takes your lenses without adapters.

What is this camera which take lenses without adaptor? name?

Sony A99, A99 mk ii and A77 mk ii and some other lower level bodies.

raminm's gear list:raminm's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +15 more
SmilerGrogan Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Definitely learn todraw

Taking drawing lessons would definitely improve your photographic skills because you would learn all about composition and  how to use perspective,  plus you would be able to sketch out ideas beforehand which saves a lot of floundering around when you’re out in the field.

HRC2016 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend a camera. Learn to draw.

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 11,123

kombizz0 wrote:

However, for some time I have been pre-occupied with a dangerous thought that bothers me. This thought says that instead of buying a DSLR Sony A7, why not buy a mid-range mirrorless camera, i.e. Sony A6400 because it is lighter in weight and less complicated with fewer lenses to carry compared with the Sony A7.

Indeed you have a lot more choices. On APSC, there are Fuji which has more excellent lenses than the native APSC lenses support of A6XXX series (It seems that Sony is more happy to expand its FF mirrorless business ).

If you wish to keep the size and weight down, might consider the M43 from Panasonic or Olympus (please bear in mind, body size might not matter much, the lens would be). Better still, M43 has a lot of outstanding quality consumer grade lenses from Panasonic and Olympus. If the speed is not topmost priority to you (i.e. you can live with the f/3.5ish etc lenses), you can keep your fleet of lenses small, light weight, at a low cost and has reasonably good IQ...

So I am asking if you were me, which thought would you listen to and why? - At present I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 that is versatile for travelling but has lots of limitation.

I was also a 30+ years film slr amateur shooter. Under the wish to change (no more brick like slr) when went digitalisation, and my age body cried out loud to carry lighter gear, I had also gone through the path of advanced compact, then bridge cameras and FZ30 was my last one before moving onto lens interchangeable camera.

Because of the not short experience on film slr, flexibility on choices of lenses has deeply printed in my mind. Panasonic G1 was the first mirrorless and since then, use M43 all the way until now. Over the years had considered some other options like Fuji, Sony NEX, Nikon 1 etc but due to this or that, stick with M43 until now.

My wife used FZ5, FZ28 and FZ150, the size of FZ1000 had scared us and so she also moved onto M43 to take the advantage of sharing lenses with me.

On IQ, FF has 2 stops that has more obvious difference due to the sensor size.

However, there is less than 1 stop advantage of APSC than M43 could be more minimal. When the recent M43 sensors can produce good enough IQ upto ISO3200, it would become a matter of a 2/3~1 stop bigger shooting envelop only (can have more flexibility on more difficult shooting environment). If you will not shoot under very difficulty lighting condition often (e.g. >ISO3200 etc), or would have better lenses (e.g. f/2.8 zoom of M43 vs f/3.5 zoom of APSC), basically the difference could be minimal at a return of saving on size and weight.

Our current standard travelling setup:

GX7, 7-14 f/4, 12-35 f/2.8, 45-150 f/4-5.6 (will carry 15 f/1.7 for the coming trip to see would it be really useful. Otherwise might leave home forever). A coverage of 14mm ultra wide angle to 300mm eq AoV of FF. Total weight 1.32Kg (used to be 1.2Kg without the Leica 15 f/1.7).

GX85, 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 (28mm ~ 280mm eq AoV of FF) of <700g.

Size and weight, which greatly determine the movability of my travelling is my primary concern but not losing much on IQ and freedom to use the lenses.

Before another 1" camera system will be launched, IMHO M43 can still be the sweetest compromise on IQ, cost, lens support, size and weight.

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
scarlet knight
scarlet knight Contributing Member • Posts: 879
Re: Definitely learn todraw

I own the Sony A6400. Previously owned the a6000. I enjoy these cameras because they take good pictures and they are light for travel.

I enjoy the kit 16-50 for lightness. I use the 18-135 for a walkabout lens. Indoors, I go to the Sigma 16 or 30 f1.4s.

I am sure that you could use an adapter for your Minolta lenses. As a former Konica owner, I miss many of the brands that are no longer with us.

scarlet knight's gear list:scarlet knight's gear list
Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Nikon D5500 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +17 more
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,294

kombizz0 wrote:

What, no "beer can"? 

-- hide signature --

Jon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads