Samsung camera app and Android 9

Started Jun 10, 2019 | Discussions
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,975
Samsung camera app and Android 9

It's a well known fact that Samsung have stopped supporting this app for Android past version 8, but I found this link earlier to a version of the app that claims to work with Android 9.

Has anyone tried this or shall I be the guinea pig?

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/samsung-camera/

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,194
Re: Samsung camera app and Android 9

That's not the same app. The app we need is called Samsung camera manager app and the previous app for older cameras is called Samsung SMART CAMERA app. This seems to be a camera app for taking photos.

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
OP markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,975

otto k wrote:

That's not the same app. The app we need is called Samsung camera manager app and the previous app for older cameras is called Samsung SMART CAMERA app. This seems to be a camera app for taking photos.

You're right, looks like I'm out of luck with this app now.

thatfour Junior Member • Posts: 36

Forget android, ios devices still work for simple file transfer

thatfour wrote:

Forget android, ios devices still work for simple file transfer

That's great but I don't own any iOS devices and probably never will .

Barple Regular Member • Posts: 261

I really really miss the bluetooth shutter 

Barple's gear list:Barple's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
thatfour Junior Member • Posts: 36

Nx mount is long dead. Just use micro sd, manually transfer to android phones still using memory card....keep a needle beneath the phone Cover to poke the sim tray ejection hole

MikeDPR Regular Member • Posts: 235

Samsung Camera Manager works well with my NX1 and Galaxy S8 running Android 9 (Pie).  I use it mainly for remote shutter and GPS tagging.

MikeDPR's gear list:MikeDPR's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +2 more

MikeDPR wrote:

Samsung Camera Manager works well with my NX1 and Galaxy S8 running Android 9 (Pie). I use it mainly for remote shutter and GPS tagging.

I can't believe I've tried it again and it works! I'm using a note 9 on Android 9. It may have something to do with the fact that I updated Samsung accessory service on play store first but I'm not sure. Either way I'm happy! Thanks for the encouraging post 😃

markyboy81 wrote:

MikeDPR wrote:

Samsung Camera Manager works well with my NX1 and Galaxy S8 running Android 9 (Pie). I use it mainly for remote shutter and GPS tagging.

I can't believe I've tried it again and it works! I'm using a note 9 on Android 9. It may have something to do with the fact that I updated Samsung accessory service on play store first but I'm not sure. Either way I'm happy! Thanks for the encouraging post 😃

It's been 5 months, but you are welcome.

But now it's me who has a problem! Not realizing Samsung Accessory Service is tied to Samsung Camera Manager app, I uninstalled the Service app which broke Samsung Camera Manager and I can't install it back again because it's not supported in Android 9 anymore according to Google Play Store. Neither is Samsung Camera Manager, but both were working fine on my S8 running Android 9 until now. Go figure.

Am I SOL and have to buy something like this for remote shutter release?

Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +2 more

I could send you an apk from my phone? It's not Android 9, but it's the latest version I have.

Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more

MikeDPR wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

MikeDPR wrote:

But now it's me who has a problem! Not realizing Samsung Accessory Service is tied to Samsung Camera Manager app, I uninstalled the Service app which broke Samsung Camera Manager and I can't install it back again because it's not supported in Android 9 anymore according to Google Play Store. Neither is Samsung Camera Manager, but both were working fine on my S8 running Android 9 until now. Go figure.

I'm using the app in android 9 on my note 9 and it's it's working great. If I remember correctly it wasn't a straight install though, I think I had to go searching for the service app first. I did download the samsung camera manager direct from the play store though.

Ever since I've rejected every android that comes through in fear that it'll stop it working again! Good luck!

otto k wrote:

I could send you an apk from my phone? It's not Android 9, but it's the latest version I have.

Sure. Maybe you could upload to anonfile.com and send me the link via PM? Thank you.

markyboy81 wrote:

MikeDPR wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

MikeDPR wrote:

I'm using the app in android 9 on my note 9 and it's it's working great. If I remember correctly it wasn't a straight install though, I think I had to go searching for the service app first. I did download the samsung camera manager direct from the play store though.

Ever since I've rejected every android that comes through in fear that it'll stop it working again! Good luck!

The Service app is found in the Google Store but it won't install because I am running Android 9. Perhaps they downgraded its OS compatibility recently.

MikeDPR wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

MikeDPR wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

MikeDPR wrote:

The Service app is found in the Google Store but it won't install because I am running Android 9. Perhaps they downgraded its OS compatibility recently.

It's always been a bit iffy it terms of them saying it wasn't compatible but after trying a few things it always seemed to work in the end.

Sorry I'm a bit vague as I can't remember exactly how ingot it to work but I may have downloaded an older version of the service app and then I was prompted to update it and it worked. I'm not 100% though as it was a few months ago.

Is it the service app that is required to make it work? I don't appear to have that installed.  I have the Samsung accessory app installed and it's on 3.1.93.91106. it's telling me that this was downloaded from the play store.

markyboy81 wrote:

It's always been a bit iffy it terms of them saying it wasn't compatible but after trying a few things it always seemed to work in the end.

Sorry I'm a bit vague as I can't remember exactly how ingot it to work but I may have downloaded an older version of the service app and then I was prompted to update it and it worked. I'm not 100% though as it was a few months ago.

Is it the service app that is required to make it work? I don't appear to have that installed. I have the Samsung accessory app installed and it's on 3.1.93.91106. it's telling me that this was downloaded from the play store.

There's an auxiliary app called Samsung Accessory Service that is required by Samsung Camera Manager. After I uninstalled the Service app, launching Samsung Camera Manager prompts me to install the Service app but its installation fails due to OS incompatibility.

According to Google Play store, the latest Samsung Accessory Service app is version 3.1.93.91106.

otto k wrote:

Here it is
https://gofile.io/?c=9ZOztn

IT WORKED!!!  Thank you so much!

It seems to be a slightly older version than the one in Google Play Store but works fine with my Samsung Camera Manager and NX1. FWIW, Google Play doesn't see that I have an older version and doesn't try to update it. As long as it works...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads