SPIDERS! YAY!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
c h u n k
c h u n k Senior Member • Posts: 1,564
SPIDERS! YAY!

A few more spider photos. Seems like the season is getting in to full swing with the little beasts buzzing, flying, and crawling around. Not many people look forward to summer for the bugs...I think it's usually despite them. But I am definitely amongst the few. After years of never finding a fishing spider, there have now been 2, I believe both Dolomedes tenebrosus, which are amongst the very first few spiders I've managed to get my lens on this season. Stoked! In addition, I found this awesome maleTan Jumping Spider, Platycryptus undatus, with the cool little orange "mask".

-- hide signature --

Some of my photos here: https://flic.kr/ps/2i6XL3
“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” --Dr. Seuss

c h u n k's gear list:c h u n k's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
filmluvr
filmluvr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,776
Re: SPIDERS! YAY!

Terrific shots of the jumping spider!

Jack

filmluvr's gear list:filmluvr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +8 more
RobinHsherwood
RobinHsherwood Contributing Member • Posts: 994

Nice shots Dustin, especially #3.

-- hide signature --

Robin H

RobinHsherwood's gear list:RobinHsherwood's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a77 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +44 more
John K Veteran Member • Posts: 7,749

Great compositions on that orange faced jumper!

I think that the first frame is a little too dark.

-- hide signature --

Also known as Dalantech
My Book: http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2010/01/extreme-macro-art-of-patience.html
My Blog: http://www.extrememacro.com
My gallery: http://www.johnkimbler.com
Macro Tutorials: http://dalantech.deviantart.com/gallery/4122501/Tutorials
Always minimal post processing and no cropping -unless you count the viewfinder...

Jalapeno Sanchez
Jalapeno Sanchez Forum Member • Posts: 87

Very nice!  Shots like these make me realize I have to work a lot harder.

c h u n k
OP c h u n k Senior Member • Posts: 1,564

John K wrote:

Low key macro like this is kind of new territory for me, but Im pretty happy with that result as of now. Its been really well received in other groups. Including your FB group...has like 3X the "likes" of the other photos there

-- hide signature --

“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” --Dr. Seuss

Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
c h u n k

Jalapeno Sanchez wrote:

Very nice! Shots like these make me realize I have to work a lot harder.

Thank you! Its been several years of working pretty hard with a lot of experimentation. I think the same thing when I see some peoples photos though. A few I follow in flickr still make me drop my jaw and ask how in the world?!?!?! Best thing is to share photos, and try to stay humble and open to criticism. Ask for help when you hit a speed bump. Ive literally skipped years of learning curves by just asking how to solve issues that are blocking me from a result.

-- hide signature --

c h u n k wrote:

John K wrote:

Low key macro like this is kind of new territory for me, but Im pretty happy with that result as of now. Its been really well received in other groups. Including your FB group...has like 3X the "likes" of the other photos there

Cool

-- hide signature --

Also known as Dalantech
My Book: http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2010/01/extreme-macro-art-of-patience.html
Always minimal post processing and no cropping -unless you count the viewfinder...

stevendillonphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 834

Nice series.  Love the pose of the 2nd one.

-- hide signature --

Steven Dillon - Capturing Nature's Art - http://www.stevendillonphoto.com

colacat
colacat Contributing Member • Posts: 546

I enjoy everyone of it, really nice photos!

I recently tried to make my new diffuser  with new material, I don't remember how many version I have been done , but I think this will be the final version 

Will try to post some photos soon

colacat's gear list:colacat's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
c h u n k

colacat wrote:

I recently tried to make my new diffuser with new material, I don't remember how many version I have been done , but I think this will be the final version

I actually just made another diffuser too. Primarily for longer working distances that is the main issue I have with the 100mm macro. Amazing how just a few inches make it so much harder to get good, nice light. Im very happy with the results Im getting with it though. And, yeah, its like the 20th diffuser Ive engineered. Im about to make another one for my twin flash, and Im excited about the idea - hopefully results justify my excitement. Ive had other "good ideas" they ended up with subpar results.

Diffusers are all about making good quality, soft light, controlling specular highlights. Ideally they would be quickly adjustable for different scenarios, but that is difficult. The other big thing for me is that they can quickly fold down to being able to stuff in my bag without damaging them. I really want a 3d printer solely for diffusion designs. Its really odd how this need has been entirely overlooked even if considering how niche it is. Kazillions of Gary Fong knock offs, and other diffusers, let alone the massive market for larger softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors, etc etc. but if you want to find a good manufactured macro diffuser, nothing exists. At least nothing that even comes close to our diy designs.

-- hide signature --

NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 3,824

These are fantastic! The lighting is excellent. May I ask what the approx. working distance is? Most jumping spiders are quite small aren't they?

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more

c h u n k wrote:

...At least nothing that even comes close to our diy designs.

This is the only diffuser I know of and if memory serves me correctly it didn't cut the hot spot out of the MT-24EX. Not the diffuser's fault though, the MT-24 doesn't really have a built in diffuser. The Fresnel plastic on the front of the flash heads is a joke.

I have the MT-26EX-RT version of Ian's diffuser on my desk and hope to field test it this weekend for a review. I expect it to perform better just because the MT-26 does have a built in diffuser that works, and the flash heads are a little bigger than the MT-24.

The only down side to the diffuser is that they are a little wider than I'd like them to be, so it's not possible to position the flash heads at 12 and 3 for a traditional key and fill effect, but I think I can get them close enough to get the shadow control that I want.

-- hide signature --

Also known as Dalantech

colacat

c h u n k wrote:

colacat wrote:

I recently tried to make my new diffuser with new material, I don't remember how many version I have been done , but I think this will be the final version

I actually just made another diffuser too. Primarily for longer working distances that is the main issue I have with the 100mm macro. Amazing how just a few inches make it so much harder to get good, nice light. Im very happy with the results Im getting with it though. And, yeah, its like the 20th diffuser Ive engineered. Im about to make another one for my twin flash, and Im excited about the idea - hopefully results justify my excitement. Ive had other "good ideas" they ended up with subpar results.

Diffusers are all about making good quality, soft light, controlling specular highlights. Ideally they would be quickly adjustable for different scenarios, but that is difficult. The other big thing for me is that they can quickly fold down to being able to stuff in my bag without damaging them. I really want a 3d printer solely for diffusion designs. Its really odd how this need has been entirely overlooked even if considering how niche it is. Kazillions of Gary Fong knock offs, and other diffusers, let alone the massive market for larger softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors, etc etc. but if you want to find a good manufactured macro diffuser, nothing exists. At least nothing that even comes close to our diy designs.

We are on the same boat , I  keep searching for a commercial products for the twin flash for many years , and not found anything yet until recently I've found a guy with his terrific macro work , he actually quite generous to share how he makes the diffuser for his work ,  he even sells the whole set (a modified version of third party speed light + diffuser )online.   I didn't bother to buy the whole set because I already have the Canon MT-24ex , so I asked him about the material that he uses to make the diffuser , he told me that he uses vinyl lampshade as diffuser material.  I am still working on it , hopefully will get it done by the end of the week.

Talking about the size of the diffuser , I would want a portable size as well, but I found that if the diffuser's too small, it would give harsh hot spot no matter how many layers of material I put on to diffuse the light. The larger the better , I am looking for a perfect size which would give me beautiful diffused light but not turning the diffuser into 2 light bulb. I will post my work later on

Can't wait to see your work with your next generation of diffuser 

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
c h u n k

John K wrote:

c h u n k wrote:

This is the only diffuser I know of and if memory serves me correctly it didn't cut the hot spot out of the MT-24EX. Not the diffuser's fault though, the MT-24 doesn't really have a built in diffuser. The Fresnel plastic on the front of the flash heads is a joke.

I have the MT-26EX-RT version of Ian's diffuser on my desk and hope to field test it this weekend for a review. I expect it to perform better just because the MT-26 does have a built in diffuser that works, and the flash heads are a little bigger than the MT-24.

The only down side to the diffuser is that they are a little wider than I'd like them to be, so it's not possible to position the flash heads at 12 and 3 for a traditional key and fill effect, but I think I can get them close enough to get the shadow control that I want.

Oh yeah, I saw a post with that guys design and couldnt find it. Can you link me, please. Also, if you could share your review and some results, that would be great. I know you primarily shoot bees, but if you come upon any jumping spiders, ladybirds/ladybugs or other shiny beatles to really see how it holds to hot spots, that would be great. I recently saw polarizers being used, and the results, though a bit flat, were extraordinary as there was literally no specular highlights.

Ive been goin crazy recently looking for better material. Mostly, I need something like a placemat which can either be frosty white (and help diffuse itself) or clear and I can just attach foam sheets.

The change I recently made for my 100mm lens diffuser was to bring down the width, but increase the length and have it bend around just outside of the fov. Before I just had a HUGE diffuser to deal with working distance, and the results were nice, though a bit harsher than I wanted. I found that if I just got it much closer to the subject to adjust to relative size (think inverse square law) I could reduce size and make it easier to pack, and hopefully, with it being so much closer, the light quality would improve. I succeeded in both ways. The downsides are this - Because the diffuser gets so much closer to the subjects, its proven a bit tougher with the more skittish of insects, as they really dont like it when something is on top of them. Also, when adding the Raynox 250, there is a lot of wasted light and other designs Ive made specifically for that set up have been better. Unfortunately, its self defeating to change diffusers because I added the Raynox. The whole reason I use the Raynox instead of tubes is for the versatility of putting it on and removing it quickly. Ideally, I would be able to make a faster adjustment when adding the Raynox.

-- hide signature --

c h u n k

colacat wrote:

c h u n k wrote:

colacat wrote:

We are on the same boat , I keep searching for a commercial products for the twin flash for many years , and not found anything yet until recently I've found a guy with his terrific macro work , he actually quite generous to share how he makes the diffuser for his work , he even sells the whole set (a modified version of third party speed light + diffuser )online. I didn't bother to buy the whole set because I already have the Canon MT-24ex , so I asked him about the material that he uses to make the diffuser , he told me that he uses vinyl lampshade as diffuser material. I am still working on it , hopefully will get it done by the end of the week.

Talking about the size of the diffuser , I would want a portable size as well, but I found that if the diffuser's too small, it would give harsh hot spot no matter how many layers of material I put on to diffuse the light. The larger the better , I am looking for a perfect size which would give me beautiful diffused light but not turning the diffuser into 2 light bulb. I will post my work later on

Remember, its not the size, or lack of that controls how soft or hard light is. It is also the distance from subject. The sun is a HUGE light source, but its light to us earthling is very hard because its distance makes its effective size very small (about the size of my thumb). Some macro lenses or rigs cause very close working distances which makes it much easier to light. My last design is a lot smaller, but the light is much softer because the diffuser stays right along the lenses field of view.

-- hide signature --

c h u n k

NikonNature wrote:

These are fantastic! The lighting is excellent. May I ask what the approx. working distance is? Most jumping spiders are quite small aren't they?

They are small indeed. I honestly forget what my magnification was or if I used an achromat, but think its just 1x because they are cropped much more than I normally crop. With that said, I think cropping gets a bad rep considering most of us just share online. If printing, that changes things, but if sharing on FB and instagram you can crop a lot and noone will ever know the difference. I still try to not crop, or crop as little as possible, but Im not as opposed to it as I used to be.

-- hide signature --

Peter in Canberra Contributing Member • Posts: 601

all the shots are great.

I like jumpers so I like those shots a lot. They are kind of cuter and more endearing than other spiders (subjective I know).

colacat

c h u n k wrote:

John K wrote:

c h u n k wrote:

Oh yeah, I saw a post with that guys design and couldnt find it. Can you link me, please. Also, if you could share your review and some results, that would be great. I know you primarily shoot bees, but if you come upon any jumping spiders, ladybirds/ladybugs or other shiny beatles to really see how it holds to hot spots, that would be great. I recently saw polarizers being used, and the results, though a bit flat, were extraordinary as there was literally no specular highlights.

Ive been goin crazy recently looking for better material. Mostly, I need something like a placemat which can either be frosty white (and help diffuse itself) or clear and I can just attach foam sheets.

The change I recently made for my 100mm lens diffuser was to bring down the width, but increase the length and have it bend around just outside of the fov. Before I just had a HUGE diffuser to deal with working distance, and the results were nice, though a bit harsher than I wanted. I found that if I just got it much closer to the subject to adjust to relative size (think inverse square law) I could reduce size and make it easier to pack, and hopefully, with it being so much closer, the light quality would improve. I succeeded in both ways. The downsides are this - Because the diffuser gets so much closer to the subjects, its proven a bit tougher with the more skittish of insects, as they really dont like it when something is on top of them. Also, when adding the Raynox 250, there is a lot of wasted light and other designs Ive made specifically for that set up have been better. Unfortunately, its self defeating to change diffusers because I added the Raynox. The whole reason I use the Raynox instead of tubes is for the versatility of putting it on and removing it quickly. Ideally, I would be able to make a faster adjustment when adding the Raynox.

finding the right material is what I have been doing for the last few years , when I see something is translucent like container , paper wrap , I always think if it can be used as diffuser. Many times I wander around Walmart, Staples and dollar store just to look for new stuff to make my diffuser , it's like a endless project to me ...:-)

I don't know if we are talking about the same guy, since he has copyrights on his photo, I think it's better I post the link here for you , sorry in Chinese though, the last tab on the page is his album, there are photos of how they work in field. Hopefully you would get some idea or inspiration towards your next diffuser.

https://weibo.com/u/2626835681

colacat

c h u n k wrote:

colacat wrote:

c h u n k wrote:

colacat wrote:

We are on the same boat , I keep searching for a commercial products for the twin flash for many years , and not found anything yet until recently I've found a guy with his terrific macro work , he actually quite generous to share how he makes the diffuser for his work , he even sells the whole set (a modified version of third party speed light + diffuser )online. I didn't bother to buy the whole set because I already have the Canon MT-24ex , so I asked him about the material that he uses to make the diffuser , he told me that he uses vinyl lampshade as diffuser material. I am still working on it , hopefully will get it done by the end of the week.

Remember, its not the size, or lack of that controls how soft or hard light is. It is also the distance from subject. The sun is a HUGE light source, but its light to us earthling is very hard because its distance makes its effective size very small (about the size of my thumb). Some macro lenses or rigs cause very close working distances which makes it much easier to light. My last design is a lot smaller, but the light is much softer because the diffuser stays right along the lenses field of view.

Totally agree with you , the size is not all about the diffuser, the distance between the lens and the subject and the distance between the light and the diffuser both need to be considered in making a diffuser as well.  I've not yet found any solution to diffuse the light with smaller diffuser since the mt-24 dual light is attached in front of the lens.  They are so closed to the subject, I got 2 of the mini ball  head to bring up the height of the light , but I hope it could be taller. I might try the dual arm if my version doesn't work well .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads