Does the 24-70mm f/2.8E have the grind problem?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
crazydoglady Regular Member • Posts: 109
Does the 24-70mm f/2.8E have the grind problem?

Has anyone heard of the 24-70mm f/2.8E developing the same grinding problem that affected the older G version? I want to buy one, but not if it potentially has the same issue!  I had a 24-70mm f2.8G a while ago and had to send it back. However, I miss the zoom range and considering buying the new one.

Thanks

crazydoglady's gear list:crazydoglady's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 1,465
Re: Does the 24-70mm f/2.8E have the grind problem?

I have the lens, no problems so far. It is an amazing lens.

Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D810 +7 more
RoyC01
RoyC01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

NO. Mine is great.

RoyC01's gear list:RoyC01's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
gnet158 Senior Member • Posts: 2,821

Too soon to tell.  Give it a year or two.

-- hide signature --

I got to get out and shoot more.

gnet158's gear list:gnet158's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D850
RoyC01

gnet158 wrote:

Too soon to tell. Give it a year or two.

Already have personally given one 3 years.

Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
gnet158 Senior Member • Posts: 2,821

RoyC01 wrote:

gnet158 wrote:

As always, YMMV depending on use, conditions, and storage.  I'm sure there are many first gen lens that are still doing fine.

-- hide signature --

I got to get out and shoot more.

gnet158's gear list:gnet158's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D850
RoyC01

gnet158 wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

gnet158 wrote:

As always, YMMV depending on use, conditions, and storage. I'm sure there are many first gen lens that are still doing fine.

So true. But in all of this time I have not read from anyone having that issue. I have read a lot of post asking the same question and they have all been answered the same way by many different owners.

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 15,621
I don't think so

I've got both the g and the e versions, and I bought the new one on vacation because the old one was rapidly developing grind.  (In a couple days it went to the point I wasn't sure I'd be able to change zoom positions soon).    That was Spring of 2016.   The g I had was about 5 years old and had extensive travel use.   The new one has no grind, so far.

When I bought the g, there were already reports out of zoom grind, and the cost to fix it.  I have not heard of a single case of zoom grind on the new version, which in itself seems quite an improvement.  Maybe Nikon has made a critical change somewhere.  It seems the new ones are more reliable.   That said, the new one now has a vr module to fail.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
RoyC01
Re: I don't think so

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I've got both the g and the e versions, and I bought the new one on vacation because the old one was rapidly developing grind. (In a couple days it went to the point I wasn't sure I'd be able to change zoom positions soon). That was Spring of 2016. The g I had was about 5 years old and had extensive travel use. The new one has no grind, so far.

When I bought the g, there were already reports out of zoom grind, and the cost to fix it. I have not heard of a single case of zoom grind on the new version, which in itself seems quite an improvement. Maybe Nikon has made a critical change somewhere. It seems the new ones are more reliable. That said, the new one now has a vr module to fail.

It's a different lens. The focal length is the same but that's it.

OP crazydoglady Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: I don't think so

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I've got both the g and the e versions, and I bought the new one on vacation because the old one was rapidly developing grind. (In a couple days it went to the point I wasn't sure I'd be able to change zoom positions soon). That was Spring of 2016. The g I had was about 5 years old and had extensive travel use. The new one has no grind, so far.

When I bought the g, there were already reports out of zoom grind, and the cost to fix it. I have not heard of a single case of zoom grind on the new version, which in itself seems quite an improvement. Maybe Nikon has made a critical change somewhere. It seems the new ones are more reliable. That said, the new one now has a vr module to fail.

Great thank you. Not too bothered if the VR fails (so long as the lens still works!) I don't really need it anyway

Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +7 more
OP crazydoglady Regular Member • Posts: 109

Thanks for the all the replies. I bought a used one and it seems great so far

IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,172

gnet158 wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

gnet158 wrote:

As always, YMMV depending on use, conditions, and storage. I'm sure there are many first gen lens that are still doing fine.

True. Mine is from 2010 and still as good as new.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads