2019 Lens Wishlist

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

Kharan wrote:

lattesweden wrote:

Kharan wrote:

aryalg wrote:

PS: tilt shift lenses. These are highly specialised but professionals find its use.

These are quite superfluous right now, since existing SLR designs gain immensely from being adapted to mirrorless, and native designs probably wouldn't shed any substantial weight or size - while costing a lot more money.

Not trying to be cleaver or anything, but I was wondering in what aspect shift lenses from the SLR days gain in being adapted to mirrorless?

The gains are in terms of usability - TS lenses are notoriously hostile toward the whole reflex viewfinder concept. Also, the prism overhang on many DSLRs can limit the lens' movements.

BTW, I said "SLR designs" because there's nothing restricting the use of modern TS designs with older bodies (so they're not strictly for digital cameras), but if I wanted a lens with incorporated movement I'd definitely prefer a modern Canon of Nikon one.

Has it even been documented how large the image quality difference is by using a proper tilt shift lens vs fixing the "untilting" in post when shot with a modern high quality regular wide angle?

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
Gone in 20 fps.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 1,885
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

lattesweden wrote:

Kharan wrote:

The gains are in terms of usability - TS lenses are notoriously hostile toward the whole reflex viewfinder concept. Also, the prism overhang on many DSLRs can limit the lens' movements.

BTW, I said "SLR designs" because there's nothing restricting the use of modern TS designs with older bodies (so they're not strictly for digital cameras), but if I wanted a lens with incorporated movement I'd definitely prefer a modern Canon of Nikon one.

Has it even been documented how large the image quality difference is by using a proper tilt shift lens vs fixing the "untilting" in post when shot with a modern high quality regular wide angle?

Not that I know of... but the difference should be quite noticeable after only a mild tilt. All of us Sony E-mount users know that stretched corners look like, thanks to built-in distortion correction. Just think of the same process applied to a sizable portion of the image.

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

 Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7S +18 more
dj0502
dj0502 Regular Member • Posts: 165
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

For me, in this order

200mm f/2.8 - almost sure that this is very far off, if ever possible.  Make it black. G or non-G is ok, but I can not afford a GM.

Tamron 75-210 f/2.8 - price it at sony 70-300 G level and I will buy in a heartbeat.

180 2.8 - an alternative to the 200mm above

 dj0502's gear list:dj0502's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +1 more
Shadow9d9 Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

dj0502 wrote:

For me, in this order

200mm f/2.8 - almost sure that this is very far off, if ever possible. Make it black. G or non-G is ok, but I can not afford a GM.

Tamron 75-210 f/2.8 - price it at sony 70-300 G level and I will buy in a heartbeat.

180 2.8 - an alternative to the 200mm above

200 2.8 is already covered in the 70-200 2.8.  It'd need to be 200 f2 to stick out.

-- hide signature --

Extensive travel blog that no one reads- uadarthmaul.blogspot.com . Newly created nature photos that no one views at uadarthmaul.smugmug.com .

Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 1,885
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

Shadow9d9 wrote:

dj0502 wrote:

For me, in this order

200mm f/2.8 - almost sure that this is very far off, if ever possible. Make it black. G or non-G is ok, but I can not afford a GM.

Tamron 75-210 f/2.8 - price it at sony 70-300 G level and I will buy in a heartbeat.

180 2.8 - an alternative to the 200mm above

200 2.8 is already covered in the 70-200 2.8. It'd need to be 200 f2 to stick out.

Not really. A dedicated 200mm f/2.8 prime has the potential to be much smaller and lighter, as well as cheaper. They're not great on 35mm bodies, I'll agree - but on APS-C they are fantastic.

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

 Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7S +18 more
Mike Fouc Regular Member • Posts: 314
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

I agree that a light, not fast short tele would be nice. Adapted lenses like the ultra small Olympus OM 100/2.8, or more flare resistant lenses like the C/Y Zeiss 100/3.5 are workable, but something native would be nice without Zeiss pricing.

 Mike Fouc's gear list:Mike Fouc's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE +8 more
LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,570
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

Kharan wrote:

Shadow9d9 wrote:

dj0502 wrote:

For me, in this order

200mm f/2.8 - almost sure that this is very far off, if ever possible. Make it black. G or non-G is ok, but I can not afford a GM.

Tamron 75-210 f/2.8 - price it at sony 70-300 G level and I will buy in a heartbeat.

180 2.8 - an alternative to the 200mm above

200 2.8 is already covered in the 70-200 2.8. It'd need to be 200 f2 to stick out.

Not really. A dedicated 200mm f/2.8 prime has the potential to be much smaller and lighter, as well as cheaper. They're not great on 35mm bodies, I'll agree - but on APS-C they are fantastic.

Putting it mildly.  The glass in a 200mm f/2.8 would weight over twice what the glass would in a 200mm, f/2.8, as would be the housing.  It also costs about five times the price, as shown by Nikon and Canon.

dj0502
dj0502 Regular Member • Posts: 165
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

LoneTree1 wrote:

Kharan wrote:

Shadow9d9 wrote:

dj0502 wrote:

For me, in this order

200mm f/2.8 - almost sure that this is very far off, if ever possible. Make it black. G or non-G is ok, but I can not afford a GM.

Tamron 75-210 f/2.8 - price it at sony 70-300 G level and I will buy in a heartbeat.

180 2.8 - an alternative to the 200mm above

200 2.8 is already covered in the 70-200 2.8. It'd need to be 200 f2 to stick out.

Not really. A dedicated 200mm f/2.8 prime has the potential to be much smaller and lighter, as well as cheaper. They're not great on 35mm bodies, I'll agree - but on APS-C they are fantastic.

Putting it mildly. The glass in a 200mm f/2.8 would weight over twice what the glass would in a 200mm, f/2.8, as would be the housing. It also costs about five times the price, as shown by Nikon and Canon.

The previous poster probably meant 200mm f/2.

I know that it is covered by the 70-200 zoom, but if you think about it, some would use the 70-200 probably most at the 200mm end. Then you will have cost and weight savings. If it will have the 85FE quality and be black, It will be a winner in my book

Not sure though why 200mm would not be great for full frame but I can definitely see the benefit for aps-c.

 dj0502's gear list:dj0502's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +1 more
thiefofpresence
thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 748
Native AF Sony Prime Wishlist
1

1) Sony FE 1.8/40, larger, but not much larger than the 35 pancake (think the Samyang 45 for form factor)

2) Sony FE 21/2, their first wider-than-24 AF prime (yes I know most folks just pre-focus manual 21mm lenses)

3) Sony FE 1.8/105, in the manner of their 1.8/85, chunkier but not anywhere near Sigma's monster.

I'd kick all my prime lenses out of my bag for the above three/

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/thiefofpresence
Sony A7iii | Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21/4 Pancake; Zeiss Batis 2/25; Samyang FE 35/1.4; Sony FE 1.8/85 | Sony FE 4/24-105 G OSS; Sony FE 4/70-200 G; Sigma 150-600 C

 thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +5 more
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,382
Re: Native AF Sony Prime Wishlist

thiefofpresence wrote:

1) Sony FE 1.8/40, larger, but not much larger than the 35 pancake (think the Samyang 45 for form factor)

I like this, but I'd want to minimize the compromise for size over IQ. We saw what happened with the Samyang 24/2.8 and to a degree the 28/2. I'm not a fan of the growing reliance on in camera corrections. The FE 50 1.8 is bigger but not by much. Still a very small and light lens. I'd probably trade my 35 ART for this if it resulted in some money in my pocket.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

 sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 1,885
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

LoneTree1 wrote:

Kharan wrote:

Not really. A dedicated 200mm f/2.8 prime has the potential to be much smaller and lighter, as well as cheaper. They're not great on 35mm bodies, I'll agree - but on APS-C they are fantastic.

Putting it mildly. The glass in a 200mm f/2.8 would weight over twice what the glass would in a 200mm, f/2.8, as would be the housing. It also costs about five times the price, as shown by Nikon and Canon.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reply. I was comparing a 200mm f/2.8 prime with a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom.

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

 Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7S +18 more
LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,570
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

dj0502 wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

Kharan wrote:

Shadow9d9 wrote:

dj0502 wrote:

For me, in this order

200mm f/2.8 - almost sure that this is very far off, if ever possible. Make it black. G or non-G is ok, but I can not afford a GM.

Tamron 75-210 f/2.8 - price it at sony 70-300 G level and I will buy in a heartbeat.

180 2.8 - an alternative to the 200mm above

200 2.8 is already covered in the 70-200 2.8. It'd need to be 200 f2 to stick out.

Not really. A dedicated 200mm f/2.8 prime has the potential to be much smaller and lighter, as well as cheaper. They're not great on 35mm bodies, I'll agree - but on APS-C they are fantastic.

Putting it mildly. The glass in a 200mm f/2.8 would weight over twice what the glass would in a 200mm, f/2.8, as would be the housing. It also costs about five times the price, as shown by Nikon and Canon.

The previous poster probably meant 200mm f/2.

I know that it is covered by the 70-200 zoom, but if you think about it, some would use the 70-200 probably most at the 200mm end. Then you will have cost and weight savings. If it will have the 85FE quality and be black, It will be a winner in my book

Not sure though why 200mm would not be great for full frame but I can definitely see the benefit for aps-c.

180mm lenses were quite popular in the film days.

sjazz
sjazz Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist
1

LoneTree1 wrote:

Putting it mildly. The glass in a 200mm f/2.8 would weight over twice what the glass would in a 200mm, f/2.8, as would be the housing. It also costs about five times the price, as shown by Nikon and Canon.

Only if that prime 200 F2.8 is a Sigma Art Series 😉

-- hide signature --

j.a.

 sjazz's gear list:sjazz's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 50 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 +21 more
LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,570
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

sjazz wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

Putting it mildly. The glass in a 200mm f/2.8 would weight over twice what the glass would in a 200mm, f/2.8, as would be the housing. It also costs about five times the price, as shown by Nikon and Canon.

Only if that prime 200 F2.8 is a Sigma Art Series 😉

Actually,  I should have said 5-8x the price.  Or, you buy a used Nikon 180mm f/2.8 and it's 10 to 14 times more expensive to buy a 200mm f/2.0.  Truly a specialist lens.

AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 1,745
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

I'd like a 200mm f/2 that lives up to the standard of the 135mm f/1.8 GM. That's such a big ask, that it's the only one I'm asking for

 AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads