2019 Lens Wishlist

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
sjazz
sjazz Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist
5

One that will please all above... cheap 12-600mm F1.4 GM sub 600g

-- hide signature --

j.a.

Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others.
Jonathan Winters

 sjazz's gear list:sjazz's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +21 more
MarcoE
MarcoE Contributing Member • Posts: 778
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

sportyaccordy wrote:

List 3 lenses you would actually buy that aren't currently for sale, in decreasing order of importance

  1. Sigma 24-70 2.8 ART FE- I'm mulling saving my pennies for a used GM, but I've finally relented to the usefulness of a 2.8 standard. At ~$1300 or so I'd have no qualms picking one of these up. I think the Tamron 24-70 is better but I don't see them stepping on the 28-75's toes in FE mount.
  2. Sigma 40mm F/2 Contemporary- 40mm is my favorite focal length, but all the options available in FE are compromised in some way. Furthermore I think top end prime coverage is largely complete; FE system is long overdue for a set of good, affordable, light weight midrange lenses. If someone could make a set of primes and zooms for under $500/500g- 24/2, 40/2, 55/2, 85/2, 135/2.8, 18-35/4, 24-85/4, 70-200/4 possibly- I think they'd do very well
  3. Tamron 70-210 F/4- A decent compromise for a tele. F/4 is OK for portraits and light enough for travel. I'd get more use out of this than an F/2.8

a tamron f4 version seems not to be in line with their current 28-75mm f.28 and upcoming 17-28mm f2.8 zooms. I hope tamron will release a 75-210mm f2.8 version to counterpart the sony fe 70-200mm gm. And quickly 😀

 MarcoE's gear list:MarcoE's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,110
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

MarcoE wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

List 3 lenses you would actually buy that aren't currently for sale, in decreasing order of importance

  1. Sigma 24-70 2.8 ART FE- I'm mulling saving my pennies for a used GM, but I've finally relented to the usefulness of a 2.8 standard. At ~$1300 or so I'd have no qualms picking one of these up. I think the Tamron 24-70 is better but I don't see them stepping on the 28-75's toes in FE mount.
  2. Sigma 40mm F/2 Contemporary- 40mm is my favorite focal length, but all the options available in FE are compromised in some way. Furthermore I think top end prime coverage is largely complete; FE system is long overdue for a set of good, affordable, light weight midrange lenses. If someone could make a set of primes and zooms for under $500/500g- 24/2, 40/2, 55/2, 85/2, 135/2.8, 18-35/4, 24-85/4, 70-200/4 possibly- I think they'd do very well
  3. Tamron 70-210 F/4- A decent compromise for a tele. F/4 is OK for portraits and light enough for travel. I'd get more use out of this than an F/2.8

a tamron f4 version seems not to be in line with their current 28-75mm f.28 and upcoming 17-28mm f2.8 zooms. I hope tamron will release a 75-210mm f2.8 version to counterpart the sony fe 70-200mm gm. And quickly 😀

They already have the 70-200 2.8 G2.

Honestly, I hope Tamron ports over their whole G2 line (15-30, 24-70, 70-200). Some people are willing to sacrifice FL range for weight.... I'm not. My zoom now is an adapted Tamron 24-70 G1.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

 sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
MarcoE
MarcoE Contributing Member • Posts: 778
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

sportyaccordy wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

List 3 lenses you would actually buy that aren't currently for sale, in decreasing order of importance

  1. Sigma 24-70 2.8 ART FE- I'm mulling saving my pennies for a used GM, but I've finally relented to the usefulness of a 2.8 standard. At ~$1300 or so I'd have no qualms picking one of these up. I think the Tamron 24-70 is better but I don't see them stepping on the 28-75's toes in FE mount.
  2. Sigma 40mm F/2 Contemporary- 40mm is my favorite focal length, but all the options available in FE are compromised in some way. Furthermore I think top end prime coverage is largely complete; FE system is long overdue for a set of good, affordable, light weight midrange lenses. If someone could make a set of primes and zooms for under $500/500g- 24/2, 40/2, 55/2, 85/2, 135/2.8, 18-35/4, 24-85/4, 70-200/4 possibly- I think they'd do very well
  3. Tamron 70-210 F/4- A decent compromise for a tele. F/4 is OK for portraits and light enough for travel. I'd get more use out of this than an F/2.8

a tamron f4 version seems not to be in line with their current 28-75mm f.28 and upcoming 17-28mm f2.8 zooms. I hope tamron will release a 75-210mm f2.8 version to counterpart the sony fe 70-200mm gm. And quickly 😀

They already have the 70-200 2.8 G2.

Honestly, I hope Tamron ports over their whole G2 line (15-30, 24-70, 70-200). Some people are willing to sacrifice FL range for weight.... I'm not. My zoom now is an adapted Tamron 24-70 G1.

for the tamron 70-200 2.8 g2 you need a adapterring to fit the e-mount system right?

that makes the lens even bigger.. a dedicated e-mount zoom would be better, also in terms of autofocus etc

 MarcoE's gear list:MarcoE's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,110
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

MarcoE wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

List 3 lenses you would actually buy that aren't currently for sale, in decreasing order of importance

  1. Sigma 24-70 2.8 ART FE- I'm mulling saving my pennies for a used GM, but I've finally relented to the usefulness of a 2.8 standard. At ~$1300 or so I'd have no qualms picking one of these up. I think the Tamron 24-70 is better but I don't see them stepping on the 28-75's toes in FE mount.
  2. Sigma 40mm F/2 Contemporary- 40mm is my favorite focal length, but all the options available in FE are compromised in some way. Furthermore I think top end prime coverage is largely complete; FE system is long overdue for a set of good, affordable, light weight midrange lenses. If someone could make a set of primes and zooms for under $500/500g- 24/2, 40/2, 55/2, 85/2, 135/2.8, 18-35/4, 24-85/4, 70-200/4 possibly- I think they'd do very well
  3. Tamron 70-210 F/4- A decent compromise for a tele. F/4 is OK for portraits and light enough for travel. I'd get more use out of this than an F/2.8

a tamron f4 version seems not to be in line with their current 28-75mm f.28 and upcoming 17-28mm f2.8 zooms. I hope tamron will release a 75-210mm f2.8 version to counterpart the sony fe 70-200mm gm. And quickly 😀

They already have the 70-200 2.8 G2.

Honestly, I hope Tamron ports over their whole G2 line (15-30, 24-70, 70-200). Some people are willing to sacrifice FL range for weight.... I'm not. My zoom now is an adapted Tamron 24-70 G1.

for the tamron 70-200 2.8 g2 you need a adapterring to fit the e-mount system right?

that makes the lens even bigger.. a dedicated e-mount zoom would be better, also in terms of autofocus etc

A dedicated E mount would have better autofocus for sure, but it would be no smaller. The size advantage ends at ~40mm. Lenses longer than that become longer than their DSLR equivalents, usually by about 25mm.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

 sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
aryalg Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist
1

Not necessarily my wishlist but three lenses I feel missing in E mount are:

1 large aperture ultrawide prime (wider than 18mm and larger than f2.8)

2 fisheye lens

3 long macro lens (longer than 100mm)150mm or 200mm

PS: tilt shift lenses. These are highly specialised but professionals find its use.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gaurav
My photos at: https://500px.com/aryalgaurav
www.instagram.com/ggauravaryal

 aryalg's gear list:aryalg's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,448
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

1. Sony 24-70/2.8 GM II (a bit smaller, lighter, and sharper than the first)

2. 40/1.4 GM - a bit smaller than the 24/1.4 GM (should be manageable, 40 is easier to get to than 24)

3. 28/1.4 GM - They won't make this quickly, as they just put out the excellent 24/1.4 GM, but I love this FL.

By the way, corious to see how the 45/1.8 Samyang performs...

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +2 more
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,110
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

travelinbri_74 wrote:

1. Sony 24-70/2.8 GM II (a bit smaller, lighter, and sharper than the first)

A tall order The new Nikon Z 2.8 standard supposedly capitalizes on the wider mount, but is imperceptibly smaller and lighter. Barring some new coating/element design this seems unlikely.

2. 40/1.4 GM - a bit smaller than the 24/1.4 GM (should be manageable, 40 is easier to get to than 24)

The interesting thing about fast standards is they buck intuition. Generally midrange wide/wide-standard primes are bigger than full on standards (i.e. a 24/35 1.8 is bigger than a 50 1.8). But that flips when the lenses get faster. Look at the Sigma 24, 35 and 50 ARTs... the 24/35 are about the same size and the 50 is bigger by a wide margin. Sony FE is even more exaggerated. 24 GM is the smallest, then the 35 ZA, and then the gargantuan 50 ZA.

40mm is my favorite FL and I'd stretch the budget for a 40 GM.... but it would have to be reasonably sized. A monstrosity like the 40 ART would be a tragedy. Ideally it would be smaller than all the 35 1.4s.

3. 28/1.4 GM - They won't make this quickly, as they just put out the excellent 24/1.4 GM, but I love this FL.

By the way, corious to see how the 45/1.8 Samyang performs...

I have had 3 Samyang lenses.... 2 copies of the 35 1.4 and 1 of the 50. The 50 was just bad but it was one of their first trys. Both of the 35s I got were no good even with extensive tweaking with the Lens Station. After all that and the performance of the 24/2.8 I don't have faith in Samyang to reliably fill the gaps.

Plus 45 is just a hair too long IMO... but we'll see how it does.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

 sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
David Naylor
David Naylor Contributing Member • Posts: 805
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist
1

Another vote for a 35 or 40mm f/1.8. I would probably sell my sigma 35/1.4. The 55/1.8 and the 85/1.8 have got me hooked on light, small, high quality primes.

 David Naylor's gear list:David Naylor's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +1 more
sjazz
sjazz Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist
1

Primes between 15mm to 21mm, until now, there are not any Sony offerings in this range, only zooms or third party lenses.

-- hide signature --

j.a.

 sjazz's gear list:sjazz's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +21 more
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,264
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

My list...

Tamron 75-200?- something along these lines with sharpness and build like their 28-75 at a price under $1000.

Sony 35mm F1.8 at a size and price similar to the Fe 85.

Dont even need a third.  These two are what I want!

 diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist
1

"OK" lenses and 40mp+ shouldn't be mixed. Why even bother going above 24mp if the lens can't deliver?

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

200mm Macro (f4 is fine) OSS

Fisheye

PF/DO 400 f/4 OSS (i.e. lightweight)

...and a wideangle tilt-shift, 24mm perhaps.

travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,448
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

sportyaccordy wrote:

travelinbri_74 wrote:

1. Sony 24-70/2.8 GM II (a bit smaller, lighter, and sharper than the first)

A tall order The new Nikon Z 2.8 standard supposedly capitalizes on the wider mount, but is imperceptibly smaller and lighter. Barring some new coating/element design this seems unlikely.

2. 40/1.4 GM - a bit smaller than the 24/1.4 GM (should be manageable, 40 is easier to get to than 24)

The interesting thing about fast standards is they buck intuition. Generally midrange wide/wide-standard primes are bigger than full on standards (i.e. a 24/35 1.8 is bigger than a 50 1.8). But that flips when the lenses get faster. Look at the Sigma 24, 35 and 50 ARTs... the 24/35 are about the same size and the 50 is bigger by a wide margin. Sony FE is even more exaggerated. 24 GM is the smallest, then the 35 ZA, and then the gargantuan 50 ZA.

40mm is my favorite FL and I'd stretch the budget for a 40 GM.... but it would have to be reasonably sized. A monstrosity like the 40 ART would be a tragedy. Ideally it would be smaller than all the 35 1.4s.

3. 28/1.4 GM - They won't make this quickly, as they just put out the excellent 24/1.4 GM, but I love this FL.

By the way, corious to see how the 45/1.8 Samyang performs...

I have had 3 Samyang lenses.... 2 copies of the 35 1.4 and 1 of the 50. The 50 was just bad but it was one of their first trys. Both of the 35s I got were no good even with extensive tweaking with the Lens Station. After all that and the performance of the 24/2.8 I don't have faith in Samyang to reliably fill the gaps.

Plus 45 is just a hair too long IMO... but we'll see how it does.

I look at how much smaller the 24 GM is than the 35 and 50 and think Sony is turning the corner on making more reasonably sized lenses. Even the 12-24 and 16-35/2.8 are quite small for their ilk. Makes me think they can do a smaller version of the 24-70, 40/1.4 and 28/1.4... We shall see.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +2 more
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,110
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist
1

LoneTree1 wrote:

"OK" lenses and 40mp+ shouldn't be mixed.

Then don't use those lenses on those bodies.

Why even bother going above 24mp if the lens can't deliver?

Is the point of your life to use as many MPs as possible?

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

 sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,083
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

1) 35 mm f1.8. With "macro" MFD so I can shot at 1:2 scale. Weather sealed.

2) 35-85 mm f1.8. The perfect event lens. Weather sealed.

3) A light telezoom around 100-300 mm that is sharp to the edges. Slow aperture is ok. For travel and cityscape etc. Weather sealed.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
Gone in 20 fps.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

FuzzyKeys Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

I’d love to see an affordable third party AF prime longer than 85mm. Samyang seems to have really improved their AF with the new 85mm. I have the 35mm 1.4, which is optically excellent with subpar AF, but I find it to be very useable for portraits. I’d bite on a 100mm or 135mm from them.

I'm also looking forward to anything that Tamron comes out with. The 28-75mm is a great lens.

 FuzzyKeys's gear list:FuzzyKeys's gear list
Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 1,879
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

aryalg wrote:

PS: tilt shift lenses. These are highly specialised but professionals find its use.

These are quite superfluous right now, since existing SLR designs gain immensely from being adapted to mirrorless, and native designs probably wouldn't shed any substantial weight or size - while costing a lot more money.

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

 Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7S +18 more
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,083
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

Kharan wrote:

aryalg wrote:

PS: tilt shift lenses. These are highly specialised but professionals find its use.

These are quite superfluous right now, since existing SLR designs gain immensely from being adapted to mirrorless, and native designs probably wouldn't shed any substantial weight or size - while costing a lot more money.

Not trying to be cleaver or anything, but I was wondering in what aspect shift lenses from the SLR days gain in being adapted to mirrorless?

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
Gone in 20 fps.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 1,879
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

lattesweden wrote:

Kharan wrote:

aryalg wrote:

PS: tilt shift lenses. These are highly specialised but professionals find its use.

These are quite superfluous right now, since existing SLR designs gain immensely from being adapted to mirrorless, and native designs probably wouldn't shed any substantial weight or size - while costing a lot more money.

Not trying to be cleaver or anything, but I was wondering in what aspect shift lenses from the SLR days gain in being adapted to mirrorless?

The gains are in terms of usability - TS lenses are notoriously hostile toward the whole reflex viewfinder concept. Also, the prism overhang on many DSLRs can limit the lens' movements.

BTW, I said "SLR designs" because there's nothing restricting the use of modern TS designs with older bodies (so they're not strictly for digital cameras), but if I wanted a lens with incorporated movement I'd definitely prefer a modern Canon of Nikon one.

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

 Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7S +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads