Adding an FX camera

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
crazydoglady Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Adding an FX camera

ACTex4 wrote:

I came here to ask you all a question of adding a D750 to my D7200. Would you consider it a good choice to add an FX body to my DX setup? I would mainly use this camera as my portrait setup and then focus on using my D7200 for sports. I currently shoot both and am about 50-50 right now in terms of my work. Also, I would change to the FX version of the 35mm.

I had a D750 and sold it for a D500 because I wanted the autofocus and speed for action shots. Apart from the IQ at higher ISOs I never missed the D750, and unless you really zoom in you can't tell which camera took which photo. I assume for portraits you will be using artificial lighting and lower ISOs anyway, so may not be worth it. Depends how much money you have and if you want to end up with potentially two sets of lenses. I recently sold the D500 for a D5, but only because I'm starting dog photography as a business and couldn't find a mid-range DX zoom that I liked, plus I wanted the extra low light capability.

 crazydoglady's gear list:crazydoglady's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Chips Pringle
Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 596
Re: Adding an FX camera

I bought a mint condition barely used Nikon d810 for  $1250.00 a few months ago. I’d rather have a d810 for portraits over the d750.

 Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +9 more
incrediblehark Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Adding an FX camera

I made a similar decision a few years back, although I wasn't shooting sports or wildlife.  I made the switch from DX to FX and never looked back.  I do understand the advantage of using DX for sports and wildlife so keeping the DX is definitely a good decision.

I'm currently using a D810 for all my landscapes and portraits, and a D700 for my take everywhere walk around camera.  I also had a D610 in the past which had killer IQ but missed focus enough that I had to move on.

If you're considering the jump to FX don't overthink it.  If you get a good used copy you can always sell it if you don't like it, and you won't be out any money.

Good luck with your decision,

-Adam

 incrediblehark's gear list:incrediblehark's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +16 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,772
Re: Adding an FX camera
1

Kung Fu wrote:

The D750 is awesome, and at the current price of $1289, you really can’t go wrong. I don’t see why you can’t shoot sports with it too, it’s got the best focusing system, and can do 6.5 fps.

The OP has 2 DX lenses which ideally need upgrading if an FX body is added.

Without hesitation I consider the D750 the worst Nikon 51 point AF body for many sports.

If you cannot focus on subject you usually miss the shot.

The D750 AF point screen coverage is the most restricted of the Nikon 51 point FX AF cameras - and much more so than on the OP's D7200.

This makes D750 focus on a subject away from the centre of the frame relatively difficult compared to the D7200

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +25 more
KLH475 Senior Member • Posts: 1,080
Re: Adding an FX camera
2

ACTex4 wrote:

I came here to ask you all a question of adding a D750 to my D7200. Would you consider it a good choice to add an FX body to my DX setup? I would mainly use this camera as my portrait setup and then focus on using my D7200 for sports. I currently shoot both and am about 50-50 right now in terms of my work. Also, I would change to the FX version of the 35mm.

Greetings! I also have a D7200 and have long been battling the "inner battle" about purchasing a Nikon FX. I was using (and still occasionally use) a D3300 until last Christmas when I got a D7200 when they were discontinued and the price dropped to $699. Like many, I constantly think of adding to/upgrading my kit. I have 4 DX lenses and 2 FX lenses - the 50mm f1.8 and the 105mm f2.8 micro (macro). Most, though not all, of my shooting is close-up/macro (more on the close-up end) and at local botanical gardens and scenic river shots as Sacramento is bordered by two rivers.

I've rented a D810 once and a D750 three times. Though I do well with my D7200 I was really impressed with this last D750 rental of just a couple of weeks. ago. I finally saw the difference, at least to my eyes, between the D7200 and D750. Some of it was not totally surprising as one of the hallmarks of the D750 is it's abilities in low-light shooting. I often go out taking photos in a local botanical garden at sunrise or within the hour after sunrise. The D750 definitely was better in low-light conditions, though the D7200 is no slouch. The biggest difference I experienced was in the tonality, subtlety and rendering (maybe those three are the same thing!) of colors - that was clear to me. The other biggest difference was the raw files of the D750 - wow, they were rich in color and dynamic range. Of the basic postprocessing I usually do I did even less with the D750 raw files - I found them really nice and had many more keepers than usual.

The issue for me, regarding making the jump from DX to FX and which has been mentioned a number of times in this and other threads is lenses . I do have two FX lenses and I think I am finally coming to grips with the idea that I really do want a D750 and am almost, but not quite, willing to add some FX lenses to the two I already have. I can (mostly) afford the D750 and maybe two more lenses but I'm not quite there yet and am figuring to wait until the xmas holiday season at the end of this year to see about prices.

Ken

P.S. If interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/klh475/

 KLH475's gear list:KLH475's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Kung Fu
Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,636
Re: Adding an FX camera
2

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

The D750 is awesome, and at the current price of $1289, you really can’t go wrong. I don’t see why you can’t shoot sports with it too, it’s got the best focusing system, and can do 6.5 fps.

The OP has 2 DX lenses which ideally need upgrading if an FX body is added.

Without hesitation I consider the D750 the worst Nikon 51 point AF body for many sports.

If you cannot focus on subject you usually miss the shot.

The D750 AF point screen coverage is the most restricted of the Nikon 51 point FX AF cameras - and much more so than on the OP's D7200.

This makes D750 focus on a subject away from the centre of the frame relatively difficult compared to the D7200

Can we please see your sports examples where you missed focus with the D750? Thanks.

 Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,772
Re: Adding an FX camera

Kung Fu wrote:

This makes D750 focus on a subject away from the centre of the frame relatively difficult compared to the D7200

Can we please see your sports examples where you missed focus with the D750?

No  - because having a D7200 and a D800 at the time I chose the best camera body when I did sports photography 

This is not sport - but the frame width is not cropped. It is an example where no way could a D750 focus on the sand eels. The D7200 which the OP has just could.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +25 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 425
Re: Adding an FX camera
2

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

The D750 is awesome, and at the current price of $1289, you really can’t go wrong. I don’t see why you can’t shoot sports with it too, it’s got the best focusing system, and can do 6.5 fps.

The OP has 2 DX lenses which ideally need upgrading if an FX body is added.

Without hesitation I consider the D750 the worst Nikon 51 point AF body for many sports.

If you cannot focus on subject you usually miss the shot.

The D750 AF point screen coverage is the most restricted of the Nikon 51 point FX AF cameras - and much more so than on the OP's D7200.

This makes D750 focus on a subject away from the centre of the frame relatively difficult compared to the D7200

Pure and simple, you bashing a camera for not being able to handle sports — but, you have absolutely no experience using the D750 for sports. You're own words, you shot with the "D7200 and a D800 at the time." I don't care if you're shot the d750 for fungi or whatever.

I find it remarkable you even have time to shoot when posting over 17,000 times on a GEAR FORUM.

-- hide signature --

Please see profile for gear list...

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,772
Re: Adding an FX camera
1

shadowfax123 wrote:

Pure and simple, you bashing a camera for not being able to handle sports — but, you have absolutely no experience using the D750 for sports. You're own words, you shot with the "D7200 and a D800 at the time." I don't care if you're shot the d750 for fungi or whatever.

I am being factual - as far as I am concerned a camera with restricted AF point screen coverage is not ideal for many sports.

This is especially true when there is a body in use with wide screen coverage - the OP's D7200.

Like it or not (I guess you will not) the D750 is built down to a lower price point than D800 series with no 1/8000 shutter speed, no 1/250 flash - and AF screen coverage less than the more expensive D800 series.

The D750 is fine when you can work within its limitations.

I initially tried the D750 for cycle racing but quickly realised my D7200 and D800 were more capable.

I shoot with the best tool I have for a particular subject.

Compared to the OP's D7200 I am satisfied for a lot of sports photography the D750 is inferior. I consider this a realistic summary of the 2 cameras for most sports photography.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +25 more
Kung Fu
Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,636
Re: Adding an FX camera

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

shadowfax123 wrote:

Pure and simple, you bashing a camera for not being able to handle sports — but, you have absolutely no experience using the D750 for sports. You're own words, you shot with the "D7200 and a D800 at the time." I don't care if you're shot the d750 for fungi or whatever.

I am being factual - as far as I am concerned a camera with restricted AF point screen coverage is not ideal for many sports.

This is especially true when there is a body in use with wide screen coverage - the OP's D7200.

Like it or not (I guess you will not) the D750 is built down to a lower price point than D800 series with no 1/8000 shutter speed, no 1/250 flash - and AF screen coverage less than the more expensive D800 series.

The D750 is fine when you can work within its limitations.

I initially tried the D750 for cycle racing but quickly realised my D7200 and D800 were more capable.

I shoot with the best tool I have for a particular subject.

Compared to the OP's D7200 I am satisfied for a lot of sports photography the D750 is inferior. I consider this a realistic summary of the 2 cameras for most sports photography.

This is all theoretical. Yawn.

 Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,772
Re: Adding an FX camera
1

Kung Fu wrote:

Compared to the OP's D7200 I am satisfied for a lot of sports photography the D750 is inferior. I consider this a realistic summary of the 2 cameras for most sports photography.

This is all theoretical. Yawn.

Why is it theoretical?

As I have said I have used the D750 alongside the D7200 and D800 for sports - and reached by firm conclusions.

While you are free to disagree with my hands on experience you cannot truthfully say that hands on side by side usage is theoretical.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +25 more
Kung Fu
Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,636
Post ‘em!

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

Compared to the OP's D7200 I am satisfied for a lot of sports photography the D750 is inferior. I consider this a realistic summary of the 2 cameras for most sports photography.

This is all theoretical. Yawn.

Why is it theoretical?

As I have said I have used the D750 alongside the D7200 and D800 for sports - and reached by firm conclusions.

While you are free to disagree with my hands on experience you cannot truthfully say that hands on side by side usage is theoretical.

Would love to see some of your D750 sports shots.

 Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,772
Re: Post ‘em!

Kung Fu wrote:

Would love to see some of your D750 sports shots.

As I have said before - you won't - because I quickly realised the D750 was not the best body I owned for sports in general.

Many years ago I could take award winning images of fast moving sports with manual focus film bodies - though nothing like as easily as with a D750, or the better still D800/810 or the better still D850/D500.

On the moderately cropped image below I could not have put a D750 AF point on her face - and would not have the picture.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +25 more
idtx2 Regular Member • Posts: 390
Re: Adding an FX camera

Willing to bet d7200 is sharper.  No AA filter

bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,461
Re: Adding an FX camera
3

Willing to bet d7200 is sharper. No AA filter

Sharper than what?  Sharper than D750?

We've had these discussions and the D7200 will always look sharper.  Some of this is aliasing and could be considered "fake sharpness" of a sort.  I owned a D7200 and a D750 and compared them side by side.  The D7200 appeared sharper.  After applying sharpening to D750 images they start to be close to equal to D7200 sharpness.  In my case this was an informal comparison, not an exhaustive scientific test.  The D750 will have better color depth and so forth so figure that into the comparison.  There is not much difference in IQ between the two and full frame comes at a big cost.

Now neither of those bodies is sharper than a D810, although they're both smaller and lighter.  I wouldn't give up my D750 but I really like the D810.  Put a heavy 24-70 lens on it and the combination can get hard to handle.

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,055
Re: Adding an FX camera

ACTex4 wrote:

I came here to ask you all a question of adding a D750 to my D7200. Would you consider it a good choice to add an FX body to my DX setup? I would mainly use this camera as my portrait setup and then focus on using my D7200 for sports. I currently shoot both and am about 50-50 right now in terms of my work. Also, I would change to the FX version of the 35mm.

The D750 is great. If you buy it, don’t be disappointed if it is replaced soon or is one of the last DSLRs that Nikon makes.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com
Instagram: Motorsports_Photographer

 BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Kung Fu
Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,636
Re: Adding an FX camera

BillyBobSenna wrote:

ACTex4 wrote:

I came here to ask you all a question of adding a D750 to my D7200. Would you consider it a good choice to add an FX body to my DX setup? I would mainly use this camera as my portrait setup and then focus on using my D7200 for sports. I currently shoot both and am about 50-50 right now in terms of my work. Also, I would change to the FX version of the 35mm.

The D750 is great. If you buy it, don’t be disappointed if it is replaced soon or is one of the last DSLRs that Nikon makes.

Why would they risk losing 95% of their user base?

 Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,055
Re: Adding an FX camera

Kung Fu wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

ACTex4 wrote:

I came here to ask you all a question of adding a D750 to my D7200. Would you consider it a good choice to add an FX body to my DX setup? I would mainly use this camera as my portrait setup and then focus on using my D7200 for sports. I currently shoot both and am about 50-50 right now in terms of my work. Also, I would change to the FX version of the 35mm.

The D750 is great. If you buy it, don’t be disappointed if it is replaced soon or is one of the last DSLRs that Nikon makes.

Why would they risk losing 95% of their user base?

I think that is the point. By using their limited R&D budget on new mirrorless technology  that Nikon has already officially said is the future of Nikon, they will keep customers by providing a compelling upgrade path.

I would be very surprised if I every buy another DSLR. My current cameras are good for at least another year and by that time mirrorless will provide no significant disadvantage to DSLR, only benefits.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

 BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Kung Fu
Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,636
Re: Adding an FX camera

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

ACTex4 wrote:

I came here to ask you all a question of adding a D750 to my D7200. Would you consider it a good choice to add an FX body to my DX setup? I would mainly use this camera as my portrait setup and then focus on using my D7200 for sports. I currently shoot both and am about 50-50 right now in terms of my work. Also, I would change to the FX version of the 35mm.

The D750 is great. If you buy it, don’t be disappointed if it is replaced soon or is one of the last DSLRs that Nikon makes.

Why would they risk losing 95% of their user base?

I think that is the point. By using their limited R&D budget on new mirrorless technology that Nikon has already officially said is the future of Nikon, they will keep customers by providing a compelling upgrade path.

I would be very surprised if I every buy another DSLR. My current cameras are good for at least another year and by that time mirrorless will provide no significant disadvantage to DSLR, only benefits.

That’s very optimistic thinking considering that the disadvantages of mirrorless are literally inherent to its design. (smaller body so awkward handling with lenses faster than f4, fewer physical buttons/controls, EVF, lack of native lens lineup, price)

 Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,830
Re: Adding an FX camera

Kung Fu wrote:

scokill wrote:

ACTex4 wrote:

I came here to ask you all a question of adding a D750 to my D7200. Would you consider it a good choice to add an FX body to my DX setup? I would mainly use this camera as my portrait setup and then focus on using my D7200 for sports. I currently shoot both and am about 50-50 right now in terms of my work. Also, I would change to the FX version of the 35mm.

I would consider a used D4 or D4s. Similar price to D750 and better camera in almost every way for sports.

A D4 is only the same price as a new D750 when it’s being sold as “well used”, ie shot to death by a pro. A working D4s is nowhere near the same price, in any condition.

Used, well used, if it's in working condition there is no reason to NOT buy.  There is no such thing as shot to death.  Replacing moving parts is fairly cheap if needed and not likely for most people.  I bought my "well used and shot to death"  D4 3 years ago and it's served me well and still humming along.  There are many used D4s on the market.  The range is $1,300-$2,500 with most selling for under $2K.

 scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads