Adding an FX camera

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
ACTex4
ACTex4 Forum Member • Posts: 81
Adding an FX camera

I came here to ask you all a question of adding a D750 to my D7200. Would you consider it a good choice to add an FX body to my DX setup? I would mainly use this camera as my portrait setup and then focus on using my D7200 for sports. I currently shoot both and am about 50-50 right now in terms of my work. Also, I would change to the FX version of the 35mm.

-- hide signature --

“I wish my work was as good as yours.” - Me
Team Nikon since D70

ACTex4's gear list:ACTex4's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Nikon D7200 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kung Fu
Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,637
Re: Adding an FX camera

ACTex4 wrote:

I came here to ask you all a question of adding a D750 to my D7200. Would you consider it a good choice to add an FX body to my DX setup? I would mainly use this camera as my portrait setup and then focus on using my D7200 for sports. I currently shoot both and am about 50-50 right now in terms of my work. Also, I would change to the FX version of the 35mm.

The D750 is awesome, and at the current price of $1289, you really can’t go wrong. I don’t see why you can’t shoot sports with it too, it’s got the best focusing system, and can do 6.5 fps.

Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,513

The downside is cost, especially if you end up buying new lenses for the FX body.  I don't know that you gain that much for portraits but that is a matter of opinion.  If the cost is acceptable to you for the small increase in IQ then D750 is a good choice.  Actually I would consider a D810 for similar price.

Kung Fu

bjn70 wrote:

The downside is cost, especially if you end up buying new lenses for the FX body. I don't know that you gain that much for portraits but that is a matter of opinion. If the cost is acceptable to you for the small increase in IQ then D750 is a good choice. Actually I would consider a D810 for similar price.

$2796 vs $1296... how is that a “similar price”?

Nikon D750
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,415

ACTex4 wrote:

I have a D750. It's a pretty nice camera. As far as I can tell, it's the same as the D7200 except for a bigger sensor and viewfinder. It is excellent for low-light photography and produces generally nice-looking images. I hear the D850 is better for more money.

I don't have a problem with 24 MP. This is the same pixel count as your D7200 so you can judge for yourself. I'm happy with 16X20 prints. If I printed 30X40 I might want more pixels.

It looks like you have the lenses you need for portrait work. The 70-200 f/2.8 is a pretty standard high-end portrait lens, while you also have an 85mm f/1.8 for when you don't want to intimidate your subjects.

Oh, and I have both the DX and FX 35mm lenses. The FX lens is massively better with respect to chromatic aberration, distortion and the appearance of out-of-focus areas.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +12 more
ACTex4
OP ACTex4 Forum Member • Posts: 81

Thanks, y’all. I would imagine the only thing I’d really gain would be better DOF and I’d have slightly more bokeh. I personally like to separate my subjects from the background as much as possible; it’s just my preferred style currently with most shoots. I may end up with another D7200. I’ve had some amazing results and I keep booking shoots, whether it’s sports coverage or portraiture. I’ve been getting a lot of compliments on my website and sneak peek images I post through my social media. I would like the opportunity to better my output and I feel like a D750 may be the ticket. I think what I’ll do is rent one for a shoot and compare it side by side with my D7200. I’ll end up shooting with both and just have a subject willing to endure “testing”.

-- hide signature --

Team Nikon since D70

Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,415
Something you need to get used to

ACTex4 wrote:

Thanks, y’all. I would imagine the only thing I’d really gain would be better DOF and I’d have slightly more bokeh. I personally like to separate my subjects from the background as much as possible; it’s just my preferred style currently with most shoots. I may end up with another D7200. I’ve had some amazing results and I keep booking shoots, whether it’s sports coverage or portraiture. I’ve been getting a lot of compliments on my website and sneak peek images I post through my social media. I would like the opportunity to better my output and I feel like a D750 may be the ticket. I think what I’ll do is rent one for a shoot and compare it side by side with my D7200. I’ll end up shooting with both and just have a subject willing to endure “testing”.

It may take more than one shoot to get a handle on how a D750 differs from a D7200. They produce pretty similar images unless you shoot in low light. You'll need to look at your f/stop because the depth of field is going to be different.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +12 more
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,662

ACTex4 wrote:

Z 6!

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +24 more
ACTex4

It’s a little out of the budget currently and I also prefer DLSR to mirrorless. I know the Z6 has some advantages but it’s not my cup of tea.

-- hide signature --

Team Nikon since D70

Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,662

ACTex4 wrote:

It’s a little out of the budget currently and I also prefer DLSR to mirrorless. I know the Z6 has some advantages but it’s not my cup of tea.

I hear you. I'm in the same boat for the most part.  For me,  when the going gets tough nothing beats the no-nonsense immediacy of a DSLR.

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +24 more
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,317

If what you're doing is really a mix between sports and portraits then the D750 may give you a bit more leeway for portraits and it will make your 70-200 a much better portrait lens. Otherwise the D750 just adds cost to your setup as well as weight.

Portraits are stationary so perhaps you should spend your money on something which will still do good portraits and give you a significant advantage in sports and fast moving objects such as the D500.

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +14 more

$2796 vs $1296... how is that a “similar price”?

I bought a used D750 and a used D810 for basically the same price.  If you insist on buying new then D810 probably wouldn't be under consideration.  Some people want to buy new, some people don't care.

I think another consideration is what lens(es) you would  use with the FX.  A 70-200 is good for portraits but if you want more bokeh and background separation you might need a lens from 85 to 135 with much wider maximum aperture.  Maybe a 50-100 f1.8 on the D7200 would be a better next step for portraits.

ACTex4

I’ve already got an 85mm f/1.8 and the 70-200 compresses the background well enough.

-- hide signature --

Team Nikon since D70

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 15,816

I can't speak to the merits of those particular camera models as I've not used them.  But I can tell you my experience of adding FX to DX.

I've long shot with two camera bodies, back to film days when I put different film speeds in each body.   For a while I shot a D200/D300 combo, but then 'added' a D700.

The D700 and D300 were as similar as you will likely ever find between a DX and an FX camera.  Almost identical bodies, both sensors 12mp, and both from similar technology.

I put grips on both so had 8fps with either.    These cameras were similar enough that I would mistakenly pick one up for the other.

The D700 immediately showed better image quality.

The D300 was much better at wildlife.  With 12mp, there's not a lot of pixels to crop from so you want as many on subject as possible.

I ended up with two cameras that did different tasks, and that is what I would expect your experience to be.   The D300 was my wildlife camera, and the D700 was for everything else.   The D700 had better dynamic range, which on the one hand means (I think) better high ISO performance - at least a stop.  But it also means smoother transitions to dark areas and the ability to lift shadows a lot in dark areas.

The D700 had shallower depth of field (than the equivalent on my D300).  That was a double-edged sword as for every case of liking a blurred background in a portrait I had a case where I needed to stop down more on landscapes.    And corners suddenly became an issue on the D700.

It wasn't my intention when I added the D700 to have a specialty camera and a do-all camera.  I've always liked using two bodies at the same time interchangeably, especially with primes.   You don't really do this with a DX/FX combo - the lens transitions are a problem.  (Consider 24-70 and 70-200 for instance.)

Wide angle may also be an issue for you by adding a FX camera.   You waste an FX lens on a DX camera, so you normally don't have one.  But you also waste an FX camera with a DX lens, so do you go out and duplicate the focal range with an FX lens?

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +37 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,912

ACTex4 wrote:

I would consider a used D4 or D4s. Similar price to D750 and better camera in almost every way for sports.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Kung Fu

scokill wrote:

ACTex4 wrote:

I would consider a used D4 or D4s. Similar price to D750 and better camera in almost every way for sports.

A D4 is only the same price as a new D750 when it’s being sold as “well used”, ie shot to death by a pro. A working D4s is nowhere near the same price, in any condition.

Nikon D750
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 3,168

Another option is a used D700 in good condition.  There are more than a few slightly used cameras looking for new owners. Figure paying around half the cost of a new D750, more or less depending on the condition of the D700. (It has been a year and a half since I got one and prices seem to have gone down a bit. . .) It's a fine portrait DSLR; don't let its 12mp sensor scare you off.  Reliability is unsurpassed; only the Dx pro Nikons have better build quality.

YRUNVS
YRUNVS Senior Member • Posts: 1,085

I run a setup similar to what you are contemplating. D6X0, and D7100. I default to the FX bodies when casually shooting as a lot of the tends to be light starved.  I think renting would be a good option for you. Do  a shoot or two and see whether or not there is ~1K worth of difference in the output. I very much enjoy FX and the benefits it brings to the table, but with good light or strobes don't think the D72/100 is too far removed at equivalent apertures (F4 FX, F2.8DX).  I do like and find noticeable the difference in DoF (for portraiture I tend to use a mixture of primes and a 70-200VR2), and I appreciate that the focal lengths of primes works well. (I like the 85 1.8G on FX  more than the 50 1.8G on DX as an example). If your work horse for portraits is going to be the 70-200V, I am not sure it would be worth the plunge, if you are planning on adding more glass in the future that may tip the scales a bit more towards going FX.  That is of course based on my preferences and predilections, and they may differ a bit for you. Renting allows you to see if it delivers the expected benefits without the commitment of purchasing.

Good luck in nay case.

Cheers,

Diallo

YRUNVS's gear list:YRUNVS's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) +8 more
Richard Frederick
Richard Frederick Contributing Member • Posts: 892

I use a Nikon 58 mm f1.4 with my Nikon D500.  That combination provides an 87 mm equivalent focal length and I really like the results.  It is also smaller and lighter than a FF equivalent.

-- hide signature --

Dick Frederick

Richard Frederick's gear list:Richard Frederick's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D800E Nikon Z7 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads