Tutorials DxO PhotoLab by the user

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Pieloe
Pieloe Junior Member • Posts: 33
Tutorials DxO PhotoLab by the user

Hello,
I wrote three tutorials dedicated to the use of DxO PhotoLab.

As a DxO user, I give you my tips and tricks which might make you more efficient.

1- Discovering DxO PhotoLab
A quick overview for users used others development software

2- Local Adjustments with DxO PhotoLab
A user guide to Enhance the visibility of your photos

3- Efficiency with DxO PhotoLab - The means to get quickly to better results
Intended for experienced users, it explains the functioning and gives some recipes for more efficiency.

I hope you will enjoy these tutorials.

Pascal

http://dxo.tuto.free.fr/

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 18,807
Re: Tutorials DxO PhotoLab by the user

The difference between lens correction and USM is interesting. We know about the 3 phases of sharpening. If your lens is characterized by DXO then you don't need USM. In fact it states not to use both. So either Lens Corrections or USM covers Capture sharpening I assume?

Creative sharpening is achieved by MicroContrast. I seen the word Creative so I assume that's its job.

Where is Export sharpening? I assumed it was USM. What do you use to sharpen for media type?

I have PL but don't use it that much but that could change. Moving on it will be good to know about Lens Corrections and USM.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
Pieloe
OP Pieloe Junior Member • Posts: 33

Zeee wrote:

The difference between lens correction and USM is interesting. We know about the 3 phases of sharpening. If your lens is characterized by DXO then you don't need USM. In fact it states not to use both. So either Lens Corrections or USM covers Capture sharpening I assume?

YES

Creative sharpening is achieved by MicroContrast. I seen the word Creative so I assume that's its job.

YES   and better with fine contrast (FilmPack functionality)

Where is Export sharpening? I assumed it was USM. What do you use to sharpen for media type?

You accentuate the image as you wish and the system transposes according to the desire dimensions.
Great efforts were made on this point during the release of DPL 1.
DxO recommends exporting small images with the bicubic option.

Pascal

sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,184

Pieloe wrote:

Zeee wrote:

YES

I have come across images where I had to disable the deconvolution-based sharpening behind the Details slider (Lens Corrections) and used a very light pass of USM as part of my capture sharpening routine. This helped to combat a watercolour effect that was starting to creep in as a result of sloppy demosaicing and deconvolution.

YES and better with fine contrast (FilmPack functionality)

You accentuate the image as you wish and the system transposes according to the desire dimensions.

Which is hardly optimal. At least they could offer a Lanczos algorithm for resizing. And people are hoping that the Nik Output sharpener facility actually gets ported some day to the Export dialogue. As it is, I output a full-sized file from PhotoLab2 and do my resizing and output sharpening in my photo viewer.

Pieloe

sankos wrote:

Pieloe wrote:

Zeee wrote:

YES

I have come across images where I had to disable the deconvolution-based sharpening behind the Details slider (Lens Corrections) and used a very light pass of USM as part of my capture sharpening routine. This helped to combat a watercolour effect that was starting to creep in as a result of sloppy demosaicing and deconvolution.

In this case you can action the Global cursor.

Which is hardly optimal. At least they could offer a Lanczos algorithm for resizing. And people are hoping that the Nik Output sharpener facility actually gets ported some day to the Export dialogue. As it is, I output a full-sized file from PhotoLab2 and do my resizing and output sharpening in my photo viewer.

... and you think it's better with a photo viewer !?
DxO proposes bicubic and billenar algorithms.
I don't know how Lanczos is better. Maybe yes !?

Pascal

sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,184
PhotoLab / resizing / output sharpening

Pieloe wrote:

sankos wrote:

Pieloe wrote:

Zeee wrote:

YES

In this case you can action the Global cursor.

It sometimes worked with some cameras/lenses but frequently I preferred zeroing the Details or disabling the Lens Sharpness altogether and applying sharpening with a control point.

... and you think it's better with a photo viewer !?

Yes. I use the free XnViewMP and it gives me a preview of what resizing/sharpening will look like when converted. Other than that I can always invoke Topaz Detail or Nik Output Sharpener plugins from the viewer, just like from PhotoLab 2.3.

DxO proposes bicubic and billenar algorithms.
I don't know how Lanczos is better. Maybe yes !?

FastStone, IrfanView, ACDSee or Affinity Photo offer variations of Lanczos so you can always try how it compares to bicubic or bilinear. Other than that, there's always ImageMagick.

Pieloe wrote:

Zeee wrote:

YES

Yes so does PS.

Pascal

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more

Pieloe wrote:

Zeee wrote:

YES

Thanks for the info. Clears things up.

Pascal

Zeee wrote:

Pieloe wrote:

Zeee wrote:

YES

Thanks for the info. Clears things up. As for the PS thing I have a video tutorial that says to use Bicubic as well.

Pascal

bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,017

Is there a tutorial about why only some of the "new" Nik plug-ins scale to 4k in Windows?

Is there a tutorial about why several of the "new" Nik plug-ins still repeatedly freeze/crash Photoshop? That has not changed since Nik was Nik.

Is there a tutorial about why the ancient and useless Nik control panel still has to be disabled from showing up on the PS desktop?

Is there a tutorial that explains the dubious decision to launch Dx0 labs as a plug-in from LR only and not Bridge/PS where it could serve as a credible alternate raw converter?

Is there a tutorial that explains why this software is worth buying?

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Nikon Z6
Pieloe

bmoag wrote:

Is there a tutorial about why only some of the "new" Nik plug-ins scale to 4k in Windows?

Is there a tutorial about why several of the "new" Nik plug-ins still repeatedly freeze/crash Photoshop? That has not changed since Nik was Nik.

Is there a tutorial about why the ancient and useless Nik control panel still has to be disabled from showing up on the PS desktop?

Is there a tutorial that explains the dubious decision to launch Dx0 labs as a plug-in from LR only and not Bridge/PS where it could serve as a credible alternate raw converter?

Is there a tutorial that explains why this software is worth buying?

I wrote a few tutorials for DxO PhotoLab, a software wrote by DxO lab since the beginning.
You speak about another product.

Pascal

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,289

Pieloe wrote:

Hello,
I wrote three tutorials dedicated to the use of DxO PhotoLab.

As a DxO user, I give you my tips and tricks which might make you more efficient.

1- Discovering DxO PhotoLab
A quick overview for users used others development software

2- Local Adjustments with DxO PhotoLab
A user guide to Enhance the visibility of your photos

3- Efficiency with DxO PhotoLab - The means to get quickly to better results
Intended for experienced users, it explains the functioning and gives some recipes for more efficiency.

I hope you will enjoy these tutorials.

Pascal

http://dxo.tuto.free.fr/

A lot of work, much appreciated. It will take a while to digest

Ian

lady laga New Member • Posts: 2

A lot of work, much appreciated.  I will take more time to reseach it

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 5,113

Thank you for this thread and DXO tutorials.  I will definitely bookmark and read.  
I am a bit baffled by some of the local adjustments.  The control point can not be made large enough to cover an image with my 7000px files for a global adjustment?

And how do I remove parts of a control point adjustment?  The dialog box says to use Alt+click for a minus type control point but all that comes up is a control point just like the original?
Why can't the adjustment brush be used to remove parts of a control point adjustment?  And is there no way to turn the + brush into a - brush?  Holding Alt does nothing.
There is the Eraser tool but it is SO tiny and it does not seem to work with a control point.

Thank you again.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Pieloe

Ernie Misner wrote:

Thank you for this thread and DXO tutorials. I will definitely bookmark and read.
I am a bit baffled by some of the local adjustments. The control point can not be made large enough to cover an image with my 7000px files for a global adjustment?

I don't think control point is the good tool for the entire image.
Brush and Graduated Filter are classical and convinient.
And, above all, Auto Mask, According to my practice, this is the most effective type of mask   

And how do I remove parts of a control point adjustment? The dialog box says to use Alt+click for a minus type control point but all that comes up is a control point just like the original?

NO, Don't you see the minus symbol on th crosshair !?

Why can't the adjustment brush be used to remove parts of a control point adjustment? And is there no way to turn the + brush into a - brush? Holding Alt does nothing.
There is the Eraser tool but it is SO tiny and it does not seem to work with a control point.

The "Control Point" type mask does not erase. Delete it.

Thank you again.

Thanks   
Pascal

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,289

Ernie Misner wrote:

Thank you for this thread and DXO tutorials. I will definitely bookmark and read.
I am a bit baffled by some of the local adjustments. The control point can not be made large enough to cover an image with my 7000px files for a global adjustment?

And how do I remove parts of a control point adjustment? The dialog box says to use Alt+click for a minus type control point but all that comes up is a control point just like the original?
Why can't the adjustment brush be used to remove parts of a control point adjustment? And is there no way to turn the + brush into a - brush? Holding Alt does nothing.

Thank you again.

Hi Ernie

The control points are for local, not global adjustments. When you add a control point a mask is automatically produced based on the colour and texture of the pixels under the control point. Press the M key (Win) to see the mask.

The control circle is not an absolute limit to the adjustment range as the adjustments will extend beyond the circle but with reduced intensity. The idea is that not all pixels are impacted by the adjustments as with a standard mask. This gives a more organic change to the image with no hard boundaries. There is another thread that discusses tips for DXO Photolab which may help:

DXO-PL 2 Tips – DP Review

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4347396

This video will also help:

U-Point Technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxWwizmvNyA

With the mask displayed by the control point if you hold down Alt and click to add a point you add a negative control point which samples the pixels under the negative control point and tells the normal control point to not impact these pixels.  NIK technology is very different to traditional masking but is easy to use once you get a better understanding of what is going on.

Negative control points are used to effectively erase parts of the control point mask as explained above.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Ernie Misner

IanYorke wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Thank you again.

Hi Ernie

The control points are for local, not global adjustments. When you add a control point a mask is automatically produced based on the colour and texture of the pixels under the control point. Press the M key (Win) to see the mask.

Thanks for this and for the links!  I am just so used to using the control points in my Nikon CNX2 software where the CP's go large and fully cover the image globally *while* still selecting just the areas under the point.   And the adjustment brush can be set to minus and easily remove any areas from the CP adjustment.  Seems so simple and easy.

The most amazing thing about the CP's in CNX2 is that they work seamlessly with any and all adjustments in that software.

The control circle is not an absolute limit to the adjustment range as the adjustments will extend beyond the circle but with reduced intensity. The idea is that not all pixels are impacted by the adjustments as with a standard mask. This gives a more organic change to the image with no hard boundaries. There is another thread that discusses tips for DXO Photolab which may help:

DXO-PL 2 Tips – DP Review

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4347396

This video will also help:

U-Point Technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxWwizmvNyA

With the mask displayed by the control point if you hold down Alt and click to add a point you add a negative control point which samples the pixels under the negative control point and tells the normal control point to not impact these pixels. NIK technology is very different to traditional masking but is easy to use once you get a better understanding of what is going on.

Thanks and after using it a couple more times I am seeing the results of the negative control points.  Cool to hold Alt and click to create one.  I have used the negative CP's a lot in Nik too.

Negative control points are used to effectively erase parts of the control point mask as explained above.

Hope this helps.

Ian

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Ernie Misner

Pieloe wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

I don't think control point is the good tool for the entire image.
Brush and Graduated Filter are classical and convinient.
And, above all, Auto Mask, According to my practice, this is the most effective type of mask

Thank you for your replies.  The brush and grad filter do not select just the hue and luminosity the way CP's do though.  I use CP's every day in my Nikon Capture NX2 software (with Nik's Color Efex Pro3 installed) and make them go over the entire image while just selecting the hue directly under the pin and it works excellent.   But the CP's in DXO are welcome and it still covers most of the image to some degree.

Yes, now I see it and no need to yell.

The "Control Point" type mask does not erase. Delete it.

I was just used to have it erase nicely as needed in my other software.  Rather than delete it however I would use a negative CP in DXO I think.

Thank you again.

Thanks
Pascal

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner

Pieloe

Ernie Misner wrote:

Thank you for your replies. The brush and grad filter do not select just the hue and luminosity the way CP's do though. I use CP's every day in my Nikon Capture NX2 software (with Nik's Color Efex Pro3 installed) and make them go over the entire image while just selecting the hue directly under the pin and it works excellent. But the CP's in DXO are welcome and it still covers most of the image to some degree.

I didn't understand you come from NX2.
With PhotoLab you must prefer the global mode and only then use the Local Adjustments.
Control points are not tools to get started.

I always write YES and NO in block capitals on social media

Pascal

Ernie Misner

Pieloe wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Thank you for your replies. The brush and grad filter do not select just the hue and luminosity the way CP's do though. I use CP's every day in my Nikon Capture NX2 software (with Nik's Color Efex Pro3 installed) and make them go over the entire image while just selecting the hue directly under the pin and it works excellent. But the CP's in DXO are welcome and it still covers most of the image to some degree.

I didn't understand you come from NX2.

Do you know the history of Nik and control points? I have been using CP's for about 15 years. Silkypix I think originated them and licensed them to Nikon to use in it's CaptureNX1 and 2 software in about 2004 or so. The adjustment brush (both + and - ) has always worked with the control points. Then Nik purchased them (the patent) apparently and created the Nik plugins a few years later. I use Nik as a plugin to PS and can apply the control point edits with the adjustment brush in PS after the round trip.

With PhotoLab you must prefer the global mode and only then use the Local Adjustments.
Control points are not tools to get started.

I always write YES and NO in block capitals on social media

I did not know that and thought you were mad and yelling. 

Pascal

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads