16-55mm f2.8 for sports

Started 4 months ago | Questions
crazydoglady Regular Member • Posts: 111
16-55mm f2.8 for sports

Does anyone get good results using the 16-55mm f2.8 for fast-moving action? I can hardly get any shots in focus, and I have read loads about setting up the camera (X-T3) and tried the different custom settings. I've seen the threads about dog sports on here and tried all those settings too. I used the 50mm f2 yesterday and got loads more shots in focus, so I'm wondering if the 16-55 just isn't quite fast enough? I have no problem getting action shots in focus with Nikon, but I realise there could be a certain amount of user error...

I had this idea that I could pair the X-T3 with the 16-55mm and Nikon with the 70-200mm but it's not really working out.

Thanks!

crazydoglady's gear list:crazydoglady's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EuronGreyjoy
EuronGreyjoy Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: 16-55mm f2.8 for sports

Hm, doesn't sound right.

The X-T3 paired with the 16-55 should be one of the best options out there for what you are looking for.

I've owned the 16-55 for years and have used it on the X-Pro2, X-H1 and X-T3.

The autofocus is very fast and accurate on all these cameras.

I own and shoot a lot with Fuji and the 16-55 is one of the fastest and best lenses hands down, also on the older bodies.

This was shot with the X-Pro2 and the 16-55:

Takraw, Bangkok.

I also shoot some indoors martial arts with the 16-55 and it works great.

Currently away from the computer but if you want I can later check for more example pics including exif etc.

Do you use back button focus?

Is your shutter set to fire right away when using AF-C with Backbutton Focus?

EuronGreyjoy's gear list:EuronGreyjoy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +13 more
OP crazydoglady Regular Member • Posts: 111

Thanks, don't worry to find any more! I tried with the 50mm again today and it was so much better. The 16-55 is perfect when things aren't moving, but maybe I should get it checked.

Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +7 more
EuronGreyjoy

crazydoglady wrote:

Thanks, don't worry to find any more! I tried with the 50mm again today and it was so much better. The 16-55 is perfect when things aren't moving, but maybe I should get it checked.

I have the 50mm F2 as well but I couldn't say that it'd be faster in terms of autofocus. Both are very good, especially on an X-T3.

Good luck with the 16-55.

Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +13 more
LeicaC Regular Member • Posts: 241

What kind of shutter speeds were you using? Shooting in manual or shutter-speed priority or something different?

LeicaC wrote:

What kind of shutter speeds were you using? Shooting in manual or shutter-speed priority or something different?

Mainly 1/1250 and f4, continuous focusing, CH, zone (small) and various custom settings. I've been trying on and off for months!

Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 585

EuronGreyjoy wrote:

Hm, doesn't sound right.

The X-T3 paired with the 16-55 should be one of the best options out there for what you are looking for.

I own and shoot a lot with Fuji and the 16-55 is one of the fastest and best lenses hands down, also on the older bodies.

Takraw, Bangkok.

Currently away from the computer but if you want I can later check for more example pics including exif etc.

The shot above is very different from a running dog. Distance from camera is not changing.  I can't comment on 16-55 because I don't have one but I think your usage case above is very different.

Clive

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more

crazydoglady wrote:

LeicaC wrote:

Mainly 1/1250 and f4, continuous focusing, CH, zone (small) and various custom settings. I've been trying on and off for months!

Make sure face detect is off - I've found that slows it down, resulting in back focus. Larger focus box can be faster (as long as it's not too big for the subject). AF-C focuses at the aperture selected, so in dim light a wider aperture will focus faster - possible this is a factor.  Busy backgrounds with lots of contrast can trip up the focus system too.  I shoot action with the 16F2.8, 23F2 and 35F2.

Clive

Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,446

crazydoglady wrote:

One thing I have noticed with the 50-140 is if I am zooming while using AFC and shooting - I tend to have a higher number of bad focus than I would expect.  If I am not zooming - namely using the lens as a fixed focal length it works better.  When I was using the Nikon D800E and the Nikon 70-200 f4 for the track - I had virtually now misses and I simply held down the AF-On button and shot while I zoomed.  The H1 and 50-140 well not so much.  if I zoom, then hit AF and then shoot, drop out of AFC Zoom, and then hit AF and shoot I get much better results than keeping AFC engaged, and zooming while shooting.

That might be what you are experiencing.  My 50 to 140 is rock solid if I am not doing AFC, zooming to track action and firing shots at the same time.  If I am using it that way I can expect out of focus images.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more

Truman Prevatt wrote:

crazydoglady wrote:

One thing I have noticed with the 50-140 is if I am zooming while using AFC and shooting - I tend to have a higher number of bad focus than I would expect. If I am not zooming - namely using the lens as a fixed focal length it works better. When I was using the Nikon D800E and the Nikon 70-200 f4 for the track - I had virtually now misses and I simply held down the AF-On button and shot while I zoomed. The H1 and 50-140 well not so much. if I zoom, then hit AF and then shoot, drop out of AFC Zoom, and then hit AF and shoot I get much better results than keeping AFC engaged, and zooming while shooting.

That might be what you are experiencing. My 50 to 140 is rock solid if I am not doing AFC, zooming to track action and firing shots at the same time. If I am using it that way I can expect out of focus images.

Agree. I've found the same thing with any of my zoom lenses. Zooming while shooting results in a lot of OOF images.

EuronGreyjoy

Clive99 wrote:

EuronGreyjoy wrote:

Hm, doesn't sound right.

Takraw, Bangkok.

The shot above is very different from a running dog. Distance from camera is not changing. I can't comment on 16-55 because I don't have one but I think your usage case above is very different.

Clive

True. Didn't have anything else on me when I replied. But I can assure the OP, the 16-55 is one of Fuji's best when it comes to AF. It's one of the red badge "pro" zooms.

Clive99 wrote:

crazydoglady wrote:

LeicaC wrote:

Make sure face detect is off - I've found that slows it down, resulting in back focus. Larger focus box can be faster (as long as it's not too big for the subject). AF-C focuses at the aperture selected, so in dim light a wider aperture will focus faster - possible this is a factor. Busy backgrounds with lots of contrast can trip up the focus system too. I shoot action with the 16F2.8, 23F2 and 35F2.

Clive

Thanks. I find even the small box too big as it frequently misses the dog's head, or focuses on the nose not the eyes (that's also why I was using f4). I'd rather use single focus but been told it doesn't work well with continuous focusing. Face detect is off and I don't think I've used it anywhere with particularly busy backgrounds or in dim light!

LeicaC Regular Member • Posts: 241

I own this lens but have never tried to use it for moving-dog or moving-horse photography due to the short focal length. My dogs are out working at the moment but I’ll try this when I can. Typically I use the 50-140 or 100-400 and think both of those lenses perform well, so I would have expected the same from the 16-55. I will say, however, that I get better results with single-point than with zone - I loved zone on my Canon and wish it worked the same way on the Fuji, but in my hands results are not great. Try single-point when you get a chance - I don’t use a tiny focus box as it’s just too hard to keep it over a moving subject.

Also possible that that you have a wonky lens, I guess.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads