Repair X-T2 or New X-T3

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Ed555 New Member • Posts: 19
Repair X-T2 or New X-T3

The X-T2 was a big jump from the X-T1 so I did it.  But the X-T3 not so much.  The main circuit board failed in the T2, and Fujifilm wants $450 to repair it.  Looking through eBay used T2's sell on average for about $650 -- plus the high eBay/PayPal fees.  The T3 is going for $1,400 (wasn't it just $1,300?).  For the few times in my life I would buy the addition three year extended warranty for $58 if I got a T3.

The question is obvious:  paid the $450 for repair, and wait for the T4, or just buy the T3 now and try to sell the T2 for parts.  Everybody says it's my decision; of course.  But I love to have a discussion with an experienced photographer and then I can make the best decision.

By the way if I have it repair they will not return the old board -- my property!?

Ed555's gear list:Ed555's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fotomotovfr Regular Member • Posts: 470
Re: Repair X-T2 or New X-T3

Ed555 wrote:

Looking through eBay used T2's sell on average for about $650 -- plus the high eBay/PayPal fees.

Buyer doesn't pay fees, seller does so you'd pay $650.

fotomotovfr's gear list:fotomotovfr's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R
OP Ed555 New Member • Posts: 19

If I had it repaired and then sold it for $650, I would net about $200.  Then if I used it for 1-1/2 years until the T4 came out and sold it it might be worth $450, then my net is zero. Or not have it repaired and buy a T3 now.

Fujifilm X-T2
fotomotovfr Regular Member • Posts: 470

Ed555 wrote:

If I had it repaired and then sold it for $650, I would net about $200.

Ebay/PP are approx. 10% so 650-65=585-450=135 net

HTH your decision.

fotomotovfr's gear list:fotomotovfr's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 26,962

I would fix the T2. Use it, and maybe sell it for $450. It will be awhile before a T4 comes out! Meanwhile, you have a camera to use. If you shoot a LOT of video, then the T3 would be a better choice. Just an opinion. Amazed that the circuit board fried. Know why? Pretty rare.

Some would simply go for the T3. Not me . . . and I had a choice some time ago.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +29 more
OmarCCX
OmarCCX Regular Member • Posts: 350

Depends on how much you trust it to work after you fix it. If you don't think it'll be reliable going forward, I'd cut my loses right now.

Feature wise, I'd keep the X-T2 and wait for a bigger upgrade.

OmarCCX's gear list:OmarCCX's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,703

You should be getting what is in effect a thoroughly reconditioned X-T2 for $450.  I'd fix it.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Geo S New Member • Posts: 24

One other note about eBay. They are now collecting state sales tax for quite a few U.S. states. I found that out the hard way recently after making a big purchase.

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,269

Do you have the money for the T3 and need its features?

Is the T2 enough?

Really, only you can decide.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,993

450$ is a reasobale cost to have it repaired only 1/3 of a new T3 So if specs of T3 are not essential, why not going to repair it ?... and wait for T4 in 2 years

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
ikaika777
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,234

If you really don’t need the little bit of upgrade in the T3 then have your T2 fixed. And when the T4 comes out you’ll have the awesome T2 as a backup.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +15 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,036

Ed555 wrote:

The X-T2 was a big jump from the X-T1 so I did it. But the X-T3 not so much. The main circuit board failed in the T2, and Fujifilm wants $450 to repair it. Looking through eBay used T2's sell on average for about $650 -- plus the high eBay/PayPal fees. The T3 is going for $1,400 (wasn't it just $1,300?). For the few times in my life I would buy the addition three year extended warranty for $58 if I got a T3.

The question is obvious: paid the $450 for repair, and wait for the T4, or just buy the T3 now and try to sell the T2 for parts. Everybody says it's my decision; of course. But I love to have a discussion with an experienced photographer and then I can make the best decision.

By the way if I have it repair they will not return the old board -- my property!?

Here's another vote for having your X-T2 fixed for $450 by Fujifilm and wait for Fujifilm to come out with a X-Tx series camera with IBIS.

Personally I prefer IBIS in the X-H1 over no-IBIS with X-Trans IV in the X-T3.  I can live with the X-H1's AF performance for now.  I don't shoot video.

I did buy a X-T30 for my secondary camera to my X-H1. It's a nice camera; but, I found I prefer the controls of the X-Tx cameras and found the X-T2's performance was good enough I think I should have either spent more for the X-T3 or save my money by skipping the X-T30.  I usually use the X-T30 when I feel I don't need instant access to adjusting ISO or photometry.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +60 more

Thanks for all the comments. I had it repaired for a total of $449.20 including shipping and tax.  They said it was the main powerboard.  I'll keep the X-T2 until the X-T4 comes out.  I also purchased a X-T30 as my backup camera for important trips.

Fujifilm X-T2
JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,262

Ed555 wrote:

The X-T2 was a big jump from the X-T1 so I did it. But the X-T3 not so much. The main circuit board failed in the T2, and Fujifilm wants $450 to repair it. Looking through eBay used T2's sell on average for about $650 -- plus the high eBay/PayPal fees. The T3 is going for $1,400 (wasn't it just $1,300?). For the few times in my life I would buy the addition three year extended warranty for $58 if I got a T3.

The question is obvious: paid the $450 for repair, and wait for the T4, or just buy the T3 now and try to sell the T2 for parts. Everybody says it's my decision; of course. But I love to have a discussion with an experienced photographer and then I can make the best decision.

The biggest improvements on the X-T3 are the AF and the video, but there are also a lot of smaller improvements like the following:

ISO160, a bit better DR(less noise in shadows), no red/purple grid flare, better EVF, more protruding EVF, bigger and more protruding back buttons, better subdials, firmer command dials, full RAW previews, USB-C, touch-screen, headphone jack, full performance without battery grip and it's overall faster and more responsive.

I upgraded from the X-T2 to the X-T3 and for me it was definitely a big jump.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
David Mintzer Contributing Member • Posts: 759

Funny--I had a main board swapped out by Fuji in Jersey for about 250 this past February.  Did they quote you that price?

David Mintzer's gear list:David Mintzer's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,993

or buy a new T2 at discount price now !!

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more

Well... PC Board  $223    //      Labor  $180    //     Shipping  $20   //   Tax  $26.20

Total  $449.20.  Really no choice.  The independent shops that I called said Fuji will not sell then the PC board.

Fujifilm X-T2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads